As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How about some coffee

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My breakfast today was hasbrowns, bacon, eggs, milk, coffee, water and a banana.

Breakfast is a BIG DEAL.

grrmushaSTATE OF THE ART ROBOTTallahasseerielXaquinDouglasDangerBucketmanToxchromdomShortyAuralynxmcp
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I have the same grinder as you Grrmusha

It's hard to judge the size of the grind with it especially for a coarser grind. I go with about three or four threads of the bolt showing.

grrmusha
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Cole brew vs pour over

Which one is better?

I'm going to buy one of them

I bought a cold brew thing off of Amazon and it came broken and so did the replacement, so I just asked for my money back

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    grrmusha wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    If it's too easy your grounds are too coarse for sure.
    they were at first, but if i make them any finer, they'll end up being too fine? :/ i'll just leave grinder as is until i get other coffee, then see how that one turns out. if it's watery again, i'll decrease grind size. instructions on the box say 3 scoops/tbs, but i agree with you. 4 should be just right for that amount, IF it actually worked lol.
    Maybe silly, but how hot is your water?
    i use el. kettle. i don't know the temp, i don't measure it lol. this is what i get for asking coffee nerds :P I should buy entire laboratory to make one decent cup of joe.

What I've found has worked well for coffee temp without a thermometer is to get the water to boiling then take it off of heat for 1 minute before using it to brew.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Mr. ButtonsPeen
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I got a little glass and steel French press and I use it to make truly demonic coffee, it's terrific

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    webguy20DouglasDangerNightDragon
    Cole brew vs pour over

Which one is better?

I bought a cold brew thing off of Amazon and it came broken and so did the replacement, so I just asked for my money back

Super different, cold brew coffee is much less acidic, so it depends on what you like.

pimentodjmitchella
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    @grrmusha

I know you said don't suggest new equipment but if you are just making coffee for yourself and you want strong coffee, you can't go wrong with my suggestion from page one, hashtag-aeropress-shill:
    Get an aeropress! Makes great coffee, and is SUPER easy (and somehow satisfying) to clean /alwayssoundslikeanaeropresssalesman

I haven't used my french press since.
    I also got one for work and am slowly converting all the coffee drinkers there to using it.

This is me everytime I use it

Wassermelone on
    SilverWindUsagiHermano
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Cole brew vs pour over

Which one is better?

Super different, cold brew coffee is much less acidic, so it depends on what you like.

Yea both have their place. I love a good hot cup of coffee with just a touch of real cream, but also a nice cup of cold brew on a warm summer afternoon is heaven.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Inquisitorpimento
  • grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    im planning to get aeropress and try all the other methods too, but i wanna figure out how this one works for now. what kind of scale is the best for coffee?I saw tiny little sensitive one specifically for coffee, but then it wouldn't work for pour over, for instance.

grrmusha on
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Really not a fan of acid in coffee, so cold brews through the summer have been great

Now that winter is coming and I work outside it’s back to thermos of normal hot coffee again

VRXwDW7.png
    webguy20
    Any kitchen scale should really be good enough. Most of them do grams and have a tare function (0s the scale out when you have something on it. Very useful for aeropress and pourover.)

WassermeloneInquisitorMichaelLC
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    If you want to use it for more than coffee, make sure the screen is either far from the weigh plate, or can be extended. Sometimes you'll have a big bowl that covers the screen.
    Like so:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0020L6T7K/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1509907598&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=oxo+kitchen+scale+with+pull+out&dpPl=1&dpID=416DEC8AYzL&ref=plSrch

MichaelLC on
    Tallahasseeriel
    Yeah that's another problem with my scale. Some of my larger mixing bowls are too big to either fit on the plate or make it hard to see the screen.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Ok, I've been pointed to this thread. So I finally got my first french press(3 cup Bodum), and I'm unable to make decent cup of coffee with it. No matter what I do, it comes out gross and diluted. Grinder I use is Hario slim, and no, I can't afford another one now. I can see grind comes out a bit uneven. For coffee I just used what I had left, which was Lavazza crema e aroma, which is a mild coffee in itself. What can I do before I just give up on this method? :/

This is my exact set up. Hario grinder is 9-10 clicks, and 3 rounded scoops should get you to the 1 line on the grinder. I let it steep for 5-6 minutes.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Look online for suggested grind sizes, usually they have something like a coin for scale.

Also have you had filter coffee before? It is known for being more diluted than espresso based coffee. You might be apply unfair standards to it.

edited November 2017
    No, this is watery and undrinkable. Blech. The color looked good after I reduced the grind size, but it still didn't taste right. I don't even like too strong coffee, but this one by lavazza(medium roast) has been described as very mild in reviews too. I even skipped adding milk, and I know that French press is supposed to make strong coffee.

grrmusha on
    French press is probably always going to be less strong than a moka pot which I think you said is your usual method.

Usagipooka
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I really like cold brew and was looking at getting into that as in like home made, but man I am a coffee heathen. I have a Keurig and we have one at work, so I just buy Kcups and like toasted marshmallow or chocolate chip cookie creamer and load my coffee up. I am sorry for being terrible

Duke 2.0E.Coyote
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I really like cold brew and was looking at getting into that as in like home made, but man I am a coffee heathen. I have a Keurig and we have one at work, so I just buy Kcups and like toasted marshmallow or chocolate chip cookie creamer and load my coffee up. I am sorry for being terrible

Put what you want in your coffee! It's your cup!

It can't be worse than my brother. He has to leave like half the cup empty for non dairy creamer and sugar. Ha.

XaquinDuke 2.0pimentoE.Coyote
    edited November 2017
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Ok, I've been pointed to this thread. So I finally got my first french press(3 cup Bodum), and I'm unable to make decent cup of coffee with it. No matter what I do, it comes out gross and diluted. Grinder I use is Hario slim, and no, I can't afford another one now. I can see grind comes out a bit uneven. For coffee I just used what I had left, which was Lavazza crema e aroma, which is a mild coffee in itself. What can I do before I just give up on this method? :/

This is my exact set up. Hario grinder is 9-10 clicks, and 3 rounded scoops should get you to the 1 line on the grinder. I let it steep for 5-6 minutes.
    Yep. But it's 3 scoops of ground coffee. I used 6 at some point, which is full grinder, on top of longer steep, and it still tasted like drinking washed coffee residue almost, like it didn't infuse?

I'm convinced it's just this coffee. People can't be drinking and enjoying this diluted pee? lol. Funnily enough, as a country of coffee drinkers(just like Italians), you can't even buy good fresh coffee beans here, and preferred method for coffee brewing at home is turkish.

grrmusha on
    edited November 2017
    I have to add like a fourth a cup of milk and three or four tbsp of sugar to my moka pot coffee most of the time I use it since it's so much stronger than drip coffee that I'm used to.

Also though I tend to add a lot of sugar to my drip coffee since my brother never cleans the machine.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited November 2017
    I'm probably wrong about preferring milder coffee. I meant just that I don't like it tasting bitter or burnt, like at all.

I add milk and sugar too.

grrmusha on
    French press should produce very full bodied and oily coffee results. If it's tasting diluted something is wrong. Short of you filming yourself making it I'm not sure what other advice I can give though.

Tallahasseerielgrrmusha
    That's what I heard! Anyway, thanks for the advice. I ran out of coffee and will be getting something else this month, reduce grind size even more and see how it goes.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Abandon French Press. Turkish Coffee. All day. E'rry day.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    That's what I heard! Anyway, thanks for the advice. I ran out of coffee and will be getting something else this month, reduce grind size even more and see how it goes.

As long as your water is hot enough (like webguy said, off the heat only for a minute), the only other explanation for watery poor tasting coffee is the beans. And really, the only variables in your control are going to be quantity and grind size; and you've already said you're going to experiment with that.
    One other possible thing is use the scoop after you grind rather than before so you're not measuring such an irregular shaped object (one reason why a small digital scale is so useful). You probably already are doing this, I just wanted to mention it just in case because that would be a clear reason why you're getting weak watery coffee.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Before I got my Bruer (great cold drip dealie) I was doing immersion cold brew by dumping about half a packet of coffee into a 2L former olive jar, leaving it 24 hours, then pouring it through a funnel sieve with cheesecloth in it into another 2L former olive jar. It worked adequately!

webguy20
    Oh shit I have a sieve now. I can probably make some good cold brew. Oh wait I need cheesecloth too

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    My breakfast today was hasbrowns, bacon, eggs, milk, coffee, water and a banana.

Breakfast is a BIG DEAL.

Unrelated but your reply reminds me of this sketch for sone reason
    https://youtu.be/st21dIMaGMs

ShortyPeen
    Now that it's getting cooler I need to find another hot drink to drink that isn't coffee, because drinking something hot in the evening is rad but drinking coffee two hours before bedtime is not.

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I just bought a bodum french press and a krups electric grinder. Tried making some for the first time this morning and I think it came out okay. Still gotta figure out the right ratio of beans to water and just how coarse the beans are supposed to be.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Now that it's getting cooler I need to find another hot drink to drink that isn't coffee, because drinking something hot in the evening is rad but drinking coffee two hours before bedtime is not.

Hot chocolate, hot toddies, mulled wines, Irish coffees.... Most of these hot evening drink suggestions are booze related.

tynicE.Coyote
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    they were at first, but if i make them any finer, they'll end up being too fine? :/ i'll just leave grinder as is until i get other coffee, then see how that one turns out. if it's watery again, i'll decrease grind size. instructions on the box say 3 scoops/tbs, but i agree with you. 4 should be just right for that amount, IF it actually worked lol.
    i use el. kettle. i don't know the temp, i don't measure it lol. this is what i get for asking coffee nerds :P I should buy entire laboratory to make one decent cup of joe.

What I've found has worked well for coffee temp without a thermometer is to get the water to boiling then take it off of heat for 1 minute before using it to brew.

If you haven't got a thermometer but you want to have a pretty close to exact way to get water at a certain temperature, what you do is boil a kettle or saucepan full of water and prepare some icewater in another container with water and ice cubes. Then you just use a measuring jug to get the right temperature - 800 mL of boiling water (carefully) mixed with 200 mL of icewater should result in a litre of water at 80 degrees celcius, bada bing bada boom, easy peasy lemon squeezy, just like a bought one, and Robert's your Mother's brother.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Drink whatever the fuck you want, man. Just be aware that pod coffee (k-cups, Nespresso et. al) is responsible for a huge garbage problem. The pods, whilst technically recyclable, realistically are not. So no-one does. Lotsa rubbish.

Hot chocolate, hot toddies, mulled wines, Irish coffees.... Most of these hot evening drink suggestions are booze related.

Hot chocolate sounds good. Have to figure out a brand I like.

As for k-cups my only real personal beef with them is the price. One of the big pros to me of coffee at home is keeping the cost low and kcups are a pricey option relatively speaking.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

If you haven't got a thermometer but you want to have a pretty close to exact way to get water at a certain temperature, what you do is boil a kettle or saucepan full of water and prepare some icewater in another container with water and ice cubes. Then you just use a measuring jug to get the right temperature - 800 mL of boiling water (carefully) mixed with 200 mL of icewater should result in a litre of water at 80 degrees celcius, bada bing bada boom, easy peasy lemon squeezy, just like a bought one, and Robert's your Mother's brother.

This won't work at all, you need to account for the initial temperature of ice, the latent energy for the ice to melt and the energy in the kettle as well. Considering everyone's freezer is different it just won't be consistent.

PeenMichaelLC
    Blake T wrote: »

This won't work at all, you need to account for the initial temperature of ice, the latent energy for the ice to melt and the energy in the kettle as well. Considering everyone's freezer is different it just won't be consistent.

Shit, it worked in science class in high school.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

I just started making chai concentrate; good hot or cold, you can adjust the flavors to your preference, and you can use decaf tea if you want an evening drink.

Or I guess just decaf coffee? I think it still has a bit of caffeine in it though, and you'll probably get some psychosomatic caffeine effects if you're used to caffeinated coffee.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This has already been said but get water up to boiling, pull it off of the stove for 1 minute, water temp is usually good enough.

For cold brew I've got one of these and it works great.

Naphtali
    Blake T wrote: »

Shit, it worked in science class in high school.

Because they knew the temperature of the ice.