As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2] Your deepest darkest secrets! OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think the most unrealistic thing about this movie featuring space lizards and living planets is that noone managed to go into the woods behind the Dairy Queen and discover a glowing plant in 34 years.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I mean, that implies that you're at a Dairy Queen and walk past it instead of going inside.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Weird, is this the first movie to break the MCU timeline like that? Is there a timeline handy someplace?

Thor would have been the first. Released in 2011, but it takes place during the same week(ish) as Iron Man 2. Retroactively, The Incredible Hulk was also attached to that week.

1940s - Steve Rogers becomes Captain America
    2008 - Tony Stark is kidnapped by terrorists, becomes Iron Man
    2010 - Hulk fights Abomination (2008); Thor is banished to Earth (2011); Tony Stark does his thing
    2012 - Avengers
    2013* - Tony Stark battles PTSD; Thor deals with the Aether
    2014 - The Guardians get together; SHIELD falls; Peter Quill deals with (his) Ego. (2017)
    2015 - Ultron attempts to kill everybody; Hank Pym recruits Scott Lang
    2016 - The Avengers fracture

As has been said, Doctor Strange is too hard to pin down.

* IM 3 may take place over Christmas 2012, not Christmas 2013. I'm unclear on that.

Strange is at least post avengers. But yeah, beyond that, it's a bit hard to pin down since there isn't much definitive there to give a more exact time. The only more precise time is speculation if the spinal injury mentioned in the call at the start was meant to be Rhodes post Civil War, the Hammer pilot that twisted himself almost in half in IM2, or someone unrelated.

Strange starts after Civil War. He turns down Rhodey's case right before he crashes his car.

Not that time as a concept means much after that movie ends.

There is some debate over that reference, because the injury mentioned doesn't line up with what happened to Rhodes - the guy mentioned on the phone would most likely be quadriplegic. Also IIRC there was some 'off' detail about Avengers tower that made it look less like it should as of 2016? But! Strange has an award with 2016 on it in the opening scenes. So. Time. :tell_me_more:

Was this ever officially explained?

No. Which is why nerds are arguing about it on the Internet.

I think the detail that precludes Rhodey in that case Strange turned down is that everyone knew at this point who James Rhodes was (the Iron Patriot thing was all over TV) and his armor wasn't a prototype.

Yeah, Tony Stark would never lie to the doctor about it and cover it up. :biggrin:

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Weird, is this the first movie to break the MCU timeline like that? Is there a timeline handy someplace?

Thor would have been the first. Released in 2011, but it takes place during the same week(ish) as Iron Man 2. Retroactively, The Incredible Hulk was also attached to that week.

1940s - Steve Rogers becomes Captain America
    2008 - Tony Stark is kidnapped by terrorists, becomes Iron Man
    2010 - Hulk fights Abomination (2008); Thor is banished to Earth (2011); Tony Stark does his thing
    2012 - Avengers
    2013* - Tony Stark battles PTSD; Thor deals with the Aether
    2014 - The Guardians get together; SHIELD falls; Peter Quill deals with (his) Ego. (2017)
    2015 - Ultron attempts to kill everybody; Hank Pym recruits Scott Lang
    2016 - The Avengers fracture

As has been said, Doctor Strange is too hard to pin down.

* IM 3 may take place over Christmas 2012, not Christmas 2013. I'm unclear on that.

Strange is at least post avengers. But yeah, beyond that, it's a bit hard to pin down since there isn't much definitive there to give a more exact time. The only more precise time is speculation if the spinal injury mentioned in the call at the start was meant to be Rhodes post Civil War, the Hammer pilot that twisted himself almost in half in IM2, or someone unrelated.

Strange starts after Civil War. He turns down Rhodey's case right before he crashes his car.

Not that time as a concept means much after that movie ends.

There is some debate over that reference, because the injury mentioned doesn't line up with what happened to Rhodes - the guy mentioned on the phone would most likely be quadriplegic. Also IIRC there was some 'off' detail about Avengers tower that made it look less like it should as of 2016? But! Strange has an award with 2016 on it in the opening scenes. So. Time. :tell_me_more:

Was this ever officially explained?

Yes.
    Director Scott Derickson said it isn't Rhodey
    https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/56w0q6/hey_everyone_reading_through_everything_will/d8mxv6y/

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    so, most important question:
    Is Stan Lee a watcher? because the stories he is telling are things he has been around for in other films...

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Is Stan Lee a watcher? because the stories he is telling are things he has been around for in other films...

Yep, that's the implication!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I honestly wasn't that impressed.

A lot of the humor felt forced and undercut the more emotional moments (you killed my mom... and broke my Walkman!) /shivers

I did shudder a bit when that Walkman was crushed, because that was Quill's last connection to his dead mom. It was callous and needlessly cruel, pointless insult added to the injury, and Quill's line was saying that not only did Ego kill his mom, but Ego spit on her memory too. He didn't really love her, not as a separate person, just as an entertaining vehicle for his ambitions, and he didn't really love his son either, just as an extension of himself and his ambitions. Of course Peter isn't eloquent enough to explain it, plus he had some punching to do.
    I think the most unrealistic thing about this movie featuring space lizards and living planets is that noone managed to go into the woods behind the Dairy Queen and discover a glowing plant in 34 years.

Have you ever been in the woods behind a crappy strip mall or store area? At best, they're filled with garbage, just covered with trash, which is why nobody goes back there in the first place (except for me, briefly, when forgetting why I don't go back behind places like that). My nitpick about that scene was that there weren't plastic bags and random bottles and half a car and so on around the trees, though that might ruin the mood.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Saw this a second time today. The ending hit me a lot harder this time around :(.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    American savage here, and I definitely remember it being duct tape.

American. I heard both scotch tape and duct tape.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

Its been a thing among internet nerds for years and they finally did it.

They finally did it and I was fist pumping a bit.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Dairy Queen isn't Baskin Robbins. Baskin Robbins always finds out.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

See... I thought it implied he's theOne Above All. In the comics it's usually insinuated to be Jack Kirby or Mr. Lee himself. It also makes sense because Stan is in every one of the MCU (and even non-MCU Marvel) films. As the One Above All created all realities in the Omniverse, it would make sense for Stan to fill that role if you wanted to put all the Marvel studios films under one umbrella.

The Watchers always have big heads and white eyes. They also seemed kinda annoyed with him, which would make sense because the Watchers frown upon godly beings who interfere with mortals.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I was just completely stunned by the Watchers even being in the movie

Just... what

But I'm p sure that Stan was just a lost Astronaut, somehow

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I was just completely stunned by the Watchers even being in the movie

Just... what

But I'm p sure that Stan was just a lost Astronaut, somehow

He made reference to a previous cameo, though. I don't think he's a watcher or some other cosmic thing. I think he's just Stan Lee, Stanning it up.

• Options
    I found an article about it on ScreenRant.
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 takes all of the elements of the cameo theory and the Watcher comic lore and mixes it together to reveal that while Lee isn’t Uatu or even a Watcher, he is an operative for them; he’s credited as “The Watchers’ Informant”, making him a spy of sorts. And make no mistake, this Informant is linked to the rest of the MCU. During the in-movie cameo he’s not just sat telling endless stories, but recounting a very specific time he was a Federal Express agent – the exact profession he had in Captain America: Civil War. Kevin Feige has since commented on the whole theory and that Civil War quote specifically, officially canonizing what could easily be read as a James Gunn joke.

Extrapolating from that influx of information, this makes it clear that throughout the movies Lee has been there to keep tabs on The Avengers, feeding information back to the Watchers. How active a role he has within their wider goals isn’t made clear – it’s likely (and more humorous) that he’s rather useless and instead of seeking out the heroes he just keeps accidentally finding himself next to Thor’s hammer, interviewed about them on TV and getting poisoned/fired by their exploits – but its confirmation all the same.

Kinda lame but not unexpected if true, but who knows. Definitely tied for Deadpool for best cameo tho.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I enjoyed that this movie understood that the funniest thing you can do with a really innocent, nice character is just to be completely, needlessly mean to them.

Although besides that I thought that one of the lowkey best scenes of the movie was when Drax mentions his daughter and then Mantis touches him and just starts bawling.

Also I didn't really think the "and you broke my walkman" line was meant as a joke. It was literally the only thing of his mom that Peter had, it's a freaking totem he's been carrying around for 20 something years.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I enjoyed that this movie understood that the funniest thing you can do with a really innocent, nice character is just to be completely, needlessly mean to them.

Although besides that I thought that one of the lowkey best scenes of the movie was when Drax mentions his daughter and then Mantis touches him and just starts bawling.

Also I didn't really think the "and you broke my walkman" line was meant as a joke. It was literally the only thing of his mom that Peter had, it's a freaking totem he's been carrying around for 20 something years.

And then he gets a new one, kinda. Not from his father, but from his real daddy.

Why's it so dusty here?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

That they used Drax as the "mean" character is what made the humor work and not come off as actually being cruel. Rocket or Quill making the same comments to Mantis would have been awful, but in some ways Drax is just as innocent as Mantis. He's not mean to be mean, just unnecessarily honest.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

That they used Drax as the "mean" character is what made the humor work and not come off as actually being cruel. Rocket or Quill making the same comments to Mantis would have been awful, but in some ways Drax is just as innocent as Mantis. He's not mean to be mean, just unnecessarily honest.

The film made it crystal clear that he was wrong about thinking her ugly, too.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Drax is gold.

Rocket threatening to put poop in Peter's pillow would have raised a small chuckle from my inner 13 year old. Drax's reaction had me almost lose my drink.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Ahh, Mantis and Drax are more childish than even Baby Groot.

Calling out Quill's love for Gamora right there and so boldly in front of everyone, and then Drax doing that fucking laugh.

Seriously, that deep belly laugh was so goddamned infectious. Everyone in there had seen that in a trailer and still laughed, including me.

• Options
    Pom Klementieff AKA Mantis interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxCBMe7z8so

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yo.

That was a good sequel. Like damn. I hadn't watched any trailers or read anything about it so I was going in as blind as possible.

The one thing I was worried about was that the humor for vol 2 would fall short of vol 1.

Nope. I had so many real genuine laughs. God damn. Mantis is a solid addition to the team.

• Options
    Yo.

That was a good sequel. Like damn. I hadn't watched any trailers or read anything about it so I was going in as blind as possible.

The one thing I was worried about was that the humor for vol 2 would fall short of vol 1.

Nope. I had so many real genuine laughs. God damn. Mantis is a solid addition to the team.

I thought Yondu would be a solid addition too...

God damn that shit hit me right in the feels.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yo.

I thought Yondu would be a solid addition too...

God damn that shit hit me right in the feels.

The one thing I had seen was someone talking about a picture with him along with them and that he was going to a part of the team so I was sorta expecting that to happen. So the death caught me off guard for sure.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Kinda wish mantis had an arc besides drax

• Options

Vol 3

This was just her intro

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So as a turbo nerd I really appreciated Benjamin Browder's role in this movie.

Also this movie was amazing. The fuckin hat scene literally had my wife crying because she was laughing so hard.

• Options
    Apparently Adam Warlock won't be around for Infinity War but he will be in Vol 3

• Options

She kind of hard an arc, she had to learn how to turn against Ego and believe in herself.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I really appreciated the implication that trips to Earth are a thing, and that Peter's only real reason for not going back is because that's where his mom died. That wasn't really explored in the first film.

And I mean, if he came back here, the culture shock alone would be heartbreaking for him.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I really appreciated the implication that trips to Earth are a thing, and that Peter's only real reason for not going back is because that's where his mom died. That wasn't really explored in the first film.

And I mean, if he came back here, the culture shock alone would be heartbreaking for him.

I want him to meet Iron Man and Cap. Gamora eats popcorn in the background, enjoying the spectacle.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Also he seems pretty busy with the whole running around having adventures in space thing.

I'm also wondering if there is a reason why none of these aliens go raid earth.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

Also he seems pretty busy with the whole running around having adventures in space thing.

Which may be to distract himself from going back to Earth.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Asgard considers earth its backyard

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Drax is gold.

Rocket threatening to put poop in Peter's pillow would have raised a small chuckle from my inner 13 year old. Drax's reaction had me almost lose my drink.

The first time he laughed I thought it was way over the top. The second time it had grown on me. Then when he made Mantis touch him while he was laughing I lost it. I hope they stay paired up for gags like that.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    One line that hasn't gotten enough love here is

I'M MARY POPPINS, YO!

Surprisingly touching total dad moment.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    One line that hasn't gotten enough love here is

I'M MARY POPPINS, YO!

Surprisingly touching total dad moment.

My thought was that James Gunn must be real happy that Disney bought Marvel so he could do that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

I want him to meet Iron Man and Cap. Gamora eats popcorn in the background, enjoying the spectacle.

In the comics, when Nova came back to Earth shortly after Civil War, Tony tried to get him registered (after Nova had stopped the galaxy from being destroyed. Like, Galactus was being weaponized. The Annihilation crossover was happening at the same time as Civil War, and was loads better, with much bigger stakes).

Nova had words.

I imagine it would be similar.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Have him punch Captain America in the faaaace.