As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 Is out, press PLAY now.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    Killing Ego was a real mistake IMO

GotG2 spoils
    yeah, I've seen people saying he's too dangerous to let live, but not really? Get Peter off of Ego's surface and he no longer has the cosmic juice to do much. He admits he can't send his avatars off the planet for too long and presumably they don't have the ability to reshape reality when they're so far from the 'light'.

There was no real pressing need to write him off.

But then I also dunno if there's any good way to reintroduce him later on. "Oh we gotta go back to Ego's world to get the Soul Gem!"

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    If they can't find a way to bring back a Celestial who left pods of his own essence all over the universe, then they don't deserve to use Kurt Russell again.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Admittedly I am a bit biased but
    I would have been disappointed if Ego didn't die

He put a tumor in Meredith's brain because he liked her too much

Fuck that guy, I want him dead

And personally with Thanos and the Infinity War on the horizon along with the Grandmaster/Hela in Thor 3 I don't think they're gonna be running short on large cosmic threats anytime soon

CYpGAPn.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Sleep wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I really really loved
    the zune. Because I use to have one. Me and like six other people

I was also one of those six people

Your post has one too many agrees.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I still want to see Justin Hammer come back. Give me all the Sam Rockwell.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I seem to remember the Zune having the first "pay this much and access all our music" deal. That's pretty good.

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I enjoyed this movie a lot

The jokes were very good, the actions were very engaging, every character had interesting time spent on their relationship with other characters, the parts with feelings had lots of feelings.

I was especially taken with the visuals. Minor things like starlords gunshots were jawdroppingly unique, there was this neon 80s pink and green element to energy and fire and stuff that felt really...I dunno, cosmic. We've consumed a lot of scifi, and future spaceship laserbeam stuff draws from a lot of the same molds anymore. This is the first scifi film I've seen in awhile that makes being in space and hanging out with aliens feel totally insane and magical.
    The title sequence bummed me out, not because of cutesy mascotty stuff, but because the little bit we saw of the fight in the background was absolutely breathtaking, and they covered it up. I wanted to see that.

Groot was mostly the weakest part of the film, but after the insane response to the tiny groot after the first film, i get why he was there. Basically totally redeemed by the 'go get the fin scene', though. An elaborate setup with a weak punchline is my favorite joke, followed closely by a weak joke that gets run into the ground so hard that it goes basically insane and comes out funny on the other side. They pulled off both simultaneously.

I appreciated that they didnt just keep running with the same bits from the first film. I was braced for 2 hours of 'Drax doesnt get metaphors' jokes, and they went somewhere completely different.

I also appreciated the amount of poop and wiener jokes.

Three thumbs up

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

They have an out for that
    He literally left part of himself everywhere. It'd be a good way to power him down a bit too

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I am always curious as to whether or not folks who put Iron Man at the top of their list have watched it recently

It is absolutely not a bad movie, but I don't think it has aged super well and has fallen down to around the middle of my personal ranking

How many mcu villians have a line as memorable as the box of scraps line

"Like a little turtle, cooking in his little turtle suit."

It's such a dumb line but it totally stuck with me

It just occurred to me how many of my favorite MCU villains are just the frank grimes to The hero's Homer Simpson

Iron man and Obediah/Killian
    Thor and Loki
    Strange and
    Mordo

Why did you become a villian? "I just got sick of that guy's bullshit."

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

GotG2 spoils
    yeah, I've seen people saying he's too dangerous to let live, but not really? Get Peter off of Ego's surface and he no longer has the cosmic juice to do much. He admits he can't send his avatars off the planet for too long and presumably they don't have the ability to reshape reality when they're so far from the 'light'.

But then I also dunno if there's any good way to reintroduce him later on. "Oh we gotta go back to Ego's world to get the Soul Gem!"
    I feel like his wholw plot to destroy the universe was a mistake anyway and a more personal story would have worked better.

Quire.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    with a character like him I don't think you can ever say he's 100% dead

they could bring him back if they really really really wanted to

PNk1Ml4.png

GotG2 spoils

if they don't deal with the ego problem now it's just going to pop up again later when he finds another kid with the power cosmic

Also his avatar was at least strong enough to blow up a thousand spaceships with little effort

Also he killed Peter's mom and he wants revengeance

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    It was earned, for sure, probably my favourite moment of the movie
    was after Ego drops the news about his mom, Peter immediately unloading both guns into him. No words from him, just BLAMS until he empties both clips.

is a gud point about being able to destroy all the Sovereign drones, but that also took it out of him, he needed to rest after. Needed to head back to the planet. Away from his lil' sphere of influence, he really didn't seem all that powerful.

maybe I just want more Marvel villains to stick around past their first appearance. It did feel right to end the movie with taking Ego out, it's just frustrating to get so few repeat encounters.

GotG2 spoils

I feel like his wholw plot to destroy the universe was a mistake anyway and a more personal story would have worked better.

Pretty sure you coulda excised those scenes entirely and preserved the threat as is.
    Ego doesn't want Peter to get attached to lower life forms, going away from the planet, aging and dying. So he tries to kill his friends, after revealing he killed Mama Quill for that reason. Boom, done, no need for universe destruction.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Just saw this. My thoughts:
    The opening credits was so-so. Cute, but it dragged on too long. Mind you I really liked the other applications of Baby Groot later in the movie.

I'll preface this by saying I adore Rocket and he's my favorite from the first movie. I loved seeing him being a badass, but his 'laughing asshole' schtick was just a bit off for me. His laugh needed to be applied more judiciously.

I am very, very glad how much time was devoted to Yondu, Gamora, Nebula, Rocket, and everyone who wasn't Peter. This is something a sequel should do; let the non-protagonists get more screentime and shine.

Dang if I didn't tear up during the funeral. This movie did a great job of making me care a hell of a lot about Yondu. I'm glad they brought back the "prototype fin" too. Embrace the wacky and weird that is the Marvel Cosmic stuff!

Ego was an all right villain, and a great performance put in by Kurt Russell. I thought his giant porcelain displays were creepy from the start, which was surely the intention.

The stuff with the harassment and abuse of Baby Groot was hard to watch. Damn. Glad those assholes got theirs.

So many little funny moments: the final Sovereign pilot getting insulted, the bit stolen from Father Ted, teenager Groot, "do you have any tape"? and of course "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

Curly_Brace on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I really enjoyed the movie. It was super fun, with really good highs and emotional moments. Ending Spoilers:
    I was doing real good with the Yondu funeral scene until Father and Son by Yusuf Islam started playing. Then I teared up really hard.

Edit: Forgot he changed his name. Edited accordingly.

never die on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm not really sure what the deadname ethics are here but Cat Stevens is now called Yusuf Islam.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure what the deadname ethics are here but Cat Stevens is now called Yusuf Islam.

I think he still uses the stage name to sell his music.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

With music, I thought it was the done thing to use whatever name the song was produced under originally.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

And personally with Thanos and the Infinity War on the horizon along with the Grandmaster/Hela in Thor 3 I don't think they're gonna be running short on large cosmic threats anytime soon

I'm gonna be honest
    I was disappointed that they went with THAT as the thing that makes Peter turn on Ego.

It's such a strawman villain move.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

I'm gonna be honest
    I was disappointed that they went with THAT as the thing that makes Peter turn on Ego.

That's not what strawman is.

edited May 2017

I'm gonna be honest

That's not what strawman is.
    It's a cheap shallow irredeemable move that serves zero purpose other than to make the audience and quill turn on him.

The dude is immortal, and instead of just letting her die of old age he puts a tumor in her? GImme a break.

I stand by what I said.

Goatmon on

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I'm gonna be honest

I think the move itself is fine. Its a classic "villain thinks he can talk his way out of admitting the bad things he has done" move. To me the reason that scene doesn't work is that Peter is clearly never really taken in by Ego's scheme. He just gets mind controlled and that shakes him out of it. This all comes back to my argument that this shouldn't have been a galaxy saving story. This movie has the distinct feeling of a Star Trek bottle episode between tentpoles and that's what it should have been. By making things so big and Ego so evil Peter could never be pulled into Ego's scheme so he has to mind controlled so what is even the point? Peter learns nothing, grows not at all, and doesn't really make any choices in this film.

I would have kept Ego killing his mom because if he didn't he might not have been strong enough to leave her but made his goal or purpose less obviously evil. Heck make it good! Have him guarding against some unknown terrible fate. He has to spend 99% of his time on himself waiting for a battle that may never come. That's why he's so desperate for a child to share his life with. Then Peter has to choose between keeping the galaxy safe and revenge.

Quire.jpg
    edited May 2017

I'm gonna be honest

I think the move itself is fine. Its a classic "villain thinks he can talk his way out of admitting the bad things he has done" move. To me the reason that scene doesn't work is that Peter is clearly never really taken in by Ego's scheme. He just gets mind controlled and that shakes him out of it. This all comes back to my argument that this shouldn't have been a galaxy saving story. This movie has the distinct feeling of a Star Trek bottle episode between tentpoles and that's what it should have been. By making things so big and Ego so evil Peter could never be pulled into Ego's scheme so he has to mind controlled so what is even the point? Peter learns nothing, grows not at all, and doesn't really make any choices in this film.

I would have kept Ego killing his mom because if he didn't he might not have been strong enough to leave her but made his goal or purpose less obviously evil. Heck make it good! Have him guarding against some unknown terrible fate. He has to spend 99% of his time on himself waiting for a battle that may never come. That's why he's so desperate for a child to share his life with. Then Peter has to choose between keeping the galaxy safe and revenge.
    I could buy his reasoning for killing her, if he'd been the one to pick Peter up from Earth. With her there, there's the temptation to stay, etc.

But he ended up hiring Yondu to do it for him, so

Goatmon on

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    A strawman is an extremely cheap argument or reasoning that the person in question doesn't actually support
    What you've described is that you think it's just bad writing

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Spoilers for the thing everybody is talking about in spoilers, maybe don't open this if you haven't seen the movie.
    I think the term you're looking for is "fridging," not strawman.

Which I actually agree with; there were better ways to turn Peter against Ego than needlessly killing Meredith to show what a bad guy Ego is.

I mean, that came on the heels of the cavern of skulls, brainwashing Peter, and revealing that his relationship with Meredith was contingent upon a lie.

[IMG][/img]
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

I'm gonna be honest

I could buy his reasoning for killing her, if he'd been the one to pick Peter up from Earth. With her there, there's the temptation to stay, etc.

But he ended up hiring Yondu to do it for him, so
    pretty sure he put the tumor in her after she got pregnant so that he wouldn't be tempted to return

then he couldn't go back for peter because he couldn't stand being on a planet where his love died

so he let her raise peter until she died

ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited May 2017
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    A strawman is an extremely cheap argument or reasoning that the person in question doesn't actually support
    I do think it's bad writing. But, personally, I don't use strawman character interchangeably with strawman argument. They're two distinctive things, far as I'm concerned.

Someone, fictional or not, poorly representing an argument in a way that makes no sense would be guilty of a strawman fallacy. This is what you're referring to.

If a character sincerely believes in a cheap strawman style reasoning for the sole purpose of making them the villain, then that character is a strawman. They've been reduced to a cheap caricature that is easily in the wrong for extremely obvious reasons, and now the hero can defeat them with minimal moral qualms.

It's an easy out, and it bugs the shit out of me that they went with that for Ego.

Goatmon on

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I guess I read that scene differently than most
    It seemed to me like Peter was starting to come out of it before that happened, which is why he was asking about it in the first place; finding out Ego killed her was just the spark that jumped him straight to "shoot in the face repeatedly"

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    I'm seeing this tomorrow!

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I do think it's bad writing. But, personally, I don't use strawman character interchangeably with strawman argument. They're two distinctive things, far as I'm concerned.

Someone, fictional or not, poorly representing an argument in a way that makes no sense would be guilty of a strawman fallacy. This is what you're referring to.

If a character sincerely believes in a cheap strawman style reasoning for the sole purpose of making them the villain, then that character is a strawman. They've been reduced to a cheap caricature that is easily in the wrong for extremely obvious reasons, and now the hero can defeat them with minimal moral qualms.

It's an easy out, and it bugs the shit out of me that they went with that for Ego.

well, I'd prepare for people focusing in on this use of "strawman" at the expense of any point you make alongside it for a while, I suppose

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Oh there is a gaurdians thread

Saw guardians of the galaxy two on sunday
    it was not as good as the first one

i think it relied too much on jokes from the first film and also baby groot and then the rapid fire sad moments to cover up for not very great writing that was so focused on "but family" that it felt like it was stealing cut lines from a fast and furious movie

Overall I liked it? It had a lot of good and even very good moments but I have a lot a lot of little complaints that stack up against it

Gonna see it again tonight so we'll see how I feel after a second viewing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think there are many valid opinions,

But "it relied too much on jokes from the first one" is one I just do not understand.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I for one can't wait for the confirmation that fast and the furious takes place in the mcu

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Just coming home from the cinemas.
    Loud, bombastic, fun and a great fun movie.
    Teenage Groot scene just needed Starlord stepping in some "tree sap" to be even more perfect.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
    Radius wrote: »
    I for one can't wait for the confirmation that fast and the furious takes place in the mcu

When Disney buys universal I deffo need Nick fury to show up in the credits of ff12

PNk1Ml4.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Saw it again, felt pretty much the same way

I think it is good but not amazing and not as good as the first one

2x39jD4.jpg
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I finally saw this last night. I liked it better than the first one, but that's largely because I felt like this one treated Gamora better. I'm also a sucker for stories about family.
    The teenage Groot stinger was great, because that is basically exactly what raising my older stepdaughter is like.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I was at Disney for my Birthday last week...they have Star Lord and Animatronic Baby Groot hidden away in the Walt Disney museum at Hollywood Studios. It was really fun getting pictures, my wife bought this cute little Groot in a cup refillable mug thing and Star Lord showed to lil Groot. It is funny sometimes meeting the characters is more fun to me than meeting the actor ever would be. Same with getting a photo with Chewie and the Jawas....big dumb grin on my face but meeting actors at comic cons and such never really phases me.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    I don't know about you people (yes, you people) but I loved the opening credits.
    While I do enjoy some baby Groot still, the whole scene was so much funnier for me because you couldn't see the action going on in the background. You're just living in Groot's little world for a minute while the team is getting wrecked by an interdimensional beast.

Also I love Mr. Blue Sky.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    kriegs wrote: »
    I don't know about you people (yes, you people) but I loved the opening credits.
    While I do enjoy some baby Groot still, the whole scene was so much funnier for me because you couldn't see the action going on in the background. You're just living in Groot's little world for a minute while the team is getting wrecked by an interdimensional beast.

Also I love Mr. Blue Sky.

I found it hilarious
    that this giant, "epic", high-budget super-hero fight that you usually see at the end of most super-hero action films was created to be the title sequence background while the camera focuses on a little dancing mascot for the entirety of the song.