As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prey

13»

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just started this. Already found something I did not in the demo in the very first area,
    In the room with the safe and whiteboard, I climbed up the tall computer bank and there was a briefcase with a note from Alex about a keycard. In the briefcase was a taser pistol(?) and a suit mod!

I am going to have a major problem needing to search every god damn corner of this game.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Just started this. Already found something I did not in the demo in the very first area,
    In the room with the safe and whiteboard, I climbed up the tall computer bank and there was a briefcase with a note from Alex about a keycard. In the briefcase was a taser pistol(?) and a suit mod!

I am going to have a major problem needing to search every god damn corner of this game.
    You get sent to find that later on, so you technically sequence broke there.
    I seem to be skipping a lot of the 'Oh wait you can't get in here without this thing, go find this thing' stuff, purely because my 'explore everywhere I can but the objective marker' approach is letting me find it all before I'm told to.

I'm looking forward to seeing speedruns of this. Most games like this get shattered because you can just remember the code to engineering and skip the first third of the ship and so on, but I don't think any of the quest progression barriers I've found have been codes. At least, not yet.
    I have faith that they'll still manage to complete the game before I can beat the intro, but they may have to work a bit harder for it.

edit: Holy crap they've already got it under an hour!

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I seem unable to get into the power plant.
    I'm in the lobby, but the door is locked. I guess maybe I could unlock it from the security station? But where do I get the password? I also don't see any alternative paths.

EDIT: Of course I figure it out within seconds of posting.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    This game is WAY more open-ended than I thought it would be.

And even on easy I'm having a bit of a rough time.

Like, I just went into Trauma Center
    And yo, there are two Phantoms in there, one of which has fucking pyrokinesis. That shit ain't fair!
    1) Grab two turrets from the lobby, set them up outside the trauma center
    2) Get the phantoms' collective attention, run back outside
    3) GLOO gun them in place in the trauma center doorway
    4) Laugh

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Maybe Im a bad person

5W3UArM.jpg

XM7yzOO.jpg

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    It's amazing how something as simple as getting a pistol and the ability to craft bullets makes you feel incredibly powerful.

I'm really digging this game so far, even if my brain isn't really used to thinking about the game world the way Prey wants me to. I think I'll get the hang of it eventually.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I haven't played a game like this in a while and have a big hankering to get it.

But it's a new 60 dollar videogame and I just had to buy a new TV. I gotta get in the habit of putting off buying new games though.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Jesus christ this game is good

i absolutely love how you grow to learn the best routes around all of the station and how to use all of the environments

• Options
    edited May 2017
    never has a game been so good at making me feel and express "hey motherfuckers this is my house and you are not welcome"

Lalabox on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Fine, I bought Horizon: Zero Dawn and-- Aw, shit. I fucked up. Alright, Prey. You're going to have to wait. Unless I do something like accidentally buy Persona or something. . .

• Options
    ending
    didn't quite work as well as i hoped because of how fast you can move throughout the station without engaging anything, and it really emphasised how many bloody loading screens there are when you get down to it.

But it was pretty good. And the post credits scene was good.

• Options
    Dang, you got to the ending already?

About how long did it take you?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Game timer says bout 22 hours, doing all the side quests

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Yeah, pretty much exactly the same here, although i think there was one or two things that i didn't end up doing, and definiteky a few things that i saw but never ended up figuring out

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Prey is probably the game that comes closest to capturing the 0451 philosophy of "set the game in a small and intensely meaningful space that the player becomes intimately familiar with as it changes over time"

Lalabox on
  • Options
    Just cleared out Volunteer Quarters
    I like how that area was kinda-sorta a fake-out.

You go through the whole area thinking something's gonna completely wreck you while you cry like a baby in the darkness.

And it's just, like, a ghost that can lift you up and attempt to throw chairs at you. Almost completely harmless on its own.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Just cleared out Volunteer Quarters
    I like how that area was kinda-sorta a fake-out.

You go through the whole area thinking something's gonna completely wreck you while you cry like a baby in the darkness.

And it's just, like, a ghost that can lift you up and attempt to throw chairs at you. Almost completely harmless on its own.
    Wait, is that what that was?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If you think that's pathetic, try glooing it

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Yeah the ending sequence is really weakened by having eight 45 second loading screens

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    2006 Prey had some of the most muddled faux-Indian bullshit I've ever seen but ALSO had the best rez bar I've seen in maybe any visual medium, so I kinda call it a wash?

On a totally off-topic note, 2017 Prey is the first video game I've ever played that brings horror-comedy into the mechanics of games*. When I creep into a room and start whacking all the trashcans in a fit of violent paranoia, and then the office chair eats my face, that's fucking incredible.

*Weirdly enough, Resident Evil 7 was the first game I've played that (successfully) brought the visuals/writing of horror-comedy to games, and that was also a 2017 release

P.s. why does every dead motherfucker on this spaceship have a baseball glove on their person

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    I told this story in another thread already, but I just realized the kicker

So when I first tried to play it, I tried to rent it from Red Box. I ended up with a case that just had a printed-out picture of a Prey disc in it.

What I just realized is, I got got by a mimic before I even played the game

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    P.s. why does every dead motherfucker on this spaceship have a baseball glove on their person

In the game's alternate history, the Curse of the Bambino took on a much more tangible and lethal form.

• Options
    They shoulda had tommy in this game imo there is one point in particular where it would have been perfect for him to appear

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    also, mimics seemed to have been perfectly tuned so that they jump at me every time i stop for a moment and consider whether something looks out of place

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

In the game's alternate history, the Curse of the Bambino took on a much more tangible and lethal form.

I can't wait for the Sultan of Swat DLC, followed by the Colossus of Clout.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I'm slowly going through this, so I don't burn out on it. But there is one thing that's sticking out to me like sore thumb:
    how does re-wiring part of my brain give me more space to stuff garbage and guns in my space suit?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I'm slowly going through this, so I don't burn out on it. But there is one thing that's sticking out to me like sore thumb:
    how does re-wiring part of my brain give me more space to stuff garbage and guns in my space suit?
    you learn the right way to stuff it in good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Suddenly, ten years experience of playing Tetris is in your mind, and you find ways to fit things together that you'd never seen before.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Works for me!

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

The only one that kinda makes me scratch my head is
    The one that gives you extra health, and specifically says it adds 25/50/75 years onto your lifespan.

Which, like, pretty sure you aren't giving me super-soldier serum?

And I'm still cramming all this junk-food into my mouth to restore my health, so it ain't like it's teaching me how to eat healthy.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    "Stab yourself in the eye to eat chips better" is so fucking videogames that it's basically perfect

• Options

The one that gives you extra health, and specifically says it adds 25/50/75 years onto your lifespan.

And I'm still cramming all this junk-food into my mouth to restore my health, so it ain't like it's teaching me how to eat healthy.
    it's psychic in nature

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

it's psychic in nature

Oh right, forgot about that
    The whole combat focus thing is flavored as a psychic power, too, so I can buy psychic ability giving you the passive ability to make your cells work better.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    i really love the versatility in regards to solving some of the obstacles you come across. Leverage III to access this spot, nah, ill just roll in as a crumpled paper.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Noah Gervais essay on both Preys.

https://youtu.be/bINxL__VitI

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Also, this is about the cancelled Prey 2 (and not just the plot twists)

https://youtu.be/0KcV3O_SODk

Lalabox on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Just beat this, saw the voice cast

Immediately super impressed they actually cast POC for POC roles- HEY WAIT

Why is danielle sho the only one not actually played by an asian person???

• Options
    So, I was just pressing through a lot of content today, and in the Crew Quarters, I found the for real reason why there's so many baseball gloves on the station.
    one of the crew was a minor star before injuring himself and later joining up with transtar. He came up to the station with dozens of signed gloves and handed them out to mostly bemused coworkers who had no idea who he used to be.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So, I was just pressing through a lot of content today, and in the Crew Quarters, I found the for real reason why there's so many baseball gloves on the station.
    one of the crew was a minor star before injuring himself and later joining up with transtar. He came up to the station with dozens of signed gloves and handed them out to mostly bemused coworkers who had no idea who he used to be.
    I knew the first part, but i didnt know specifically about him handing the gloves out to bemused coworked, i love all the little world building.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    I knew the first part, but i didnt know specifically about him handing the gloves out to bemused coworked, i love all the little world building.

The little pieces of world building are really good. Related to the topic, I went searching around the Arboretum and one little set piece I found was that two employees had a little secret spot next to a window where they would drink beer, eat pizza and play catch.

It was really cool.

jnij103vqi2i.png