As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Super curious to see how they do talent trees. I'm hoping they abstract out to dramatic archetypes.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Tales from the Loop get

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    So apparently the super fancy limited edition GoT 3.5E book I bought over the weekend has stats for both D&D & Tri-Stat, the system pioneered in Big Eyes, Small Mouth.

The idea of Jamie Lannister fighting Sailor Moon gave me a chuckle.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Super curious to see how they do talent trees. I'm hoping they abstract out to dramatic archetypes.

That's my guess as to what they will do, possibly with advice for creating new trees, and maybe some specific examples for the included settings.

I expect there to be a few changes from Star Wars, which is also fine, games should appropriately reflect their setting.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    @Infidel gonna have to update orokos ;)

I wonder if those have different distributions, or if it is just a graphical update?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Wonder if there'll be a early release of Genesys at GenCon. Would make sense, seeing how they like to launch their RPG's there.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Oh man, I've been buggin for a generic core book for a while. I'll probably still run fantasy with it, but hey, new shiny stuff.

• Options
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Oh man, I've been buggin for a generic core book for a while. I'll probably still run fantasy with it, but hey, new shiny stuff.

Same here. I keep almost buying the Monte Cook thing, but then I always black out and wake up in the parking lot.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »

Same here. I keep almost buying the Monte Cook thing, but then I always black out and wake up in the parking lot.

Maybe you should take up coke, it would be healthier.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    [insert joke about any system bearing Cook's name being a trap choice here]

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Eh, considering the cost of the dice and the more heroic kinda focus the system has I'm super down on the idea of Genesys being how you do 'official' Android RPGs.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I can't wait to play with and modify the Star Wars system. I like the dice and how to creates situations but I'm don't care for the weird class trees

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

"I propose a system whereby letters are arranged in such a way as to represent a series of sounds that themselves have meanings. It is my belief that this will hugely streamline the way we pass information about ourselves, and allow for knowledge to outlive us into future generations."

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

"I propose a system whereby letters are arranged in such a way as to represent a series of sounds that themselves have meanings. It is my belief that this will hugely streamline the way we pass information about ourselves, and allow for knowledge to outlive us into future generations."

I don't know about these new fangled phonemes. We used to just gesture and that worked just fine for us. All these letters just take the focus away from the the true communication experience.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Some days I feel like they didn't even bother to try and balance fire at all.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    That's the point. Managing fire is more skill intensive than mashing your food with a rock. Surely you won't argue that they two should be equal? That's preposterous!

Also you're overlooking that it takes a long time to make a fire worth having. The mashers start out in the lead for a long while so it all equals out.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    To kill the joke, we started with pictures of things, say when we tallied up grain and meat for the granaries and taxes.

Then over time (and broadly glossed over) we shorthanded those pictures to pictograms and eventually to phonetical constructs to convey more and more complex ideas.

Ill Rogal Dorn my way out now.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Mahou So-soMahou So-so Registered User regular
    Looking for at least one more person for City of Mist pbp if anyone is interested!

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Some days I feel like they didn't even bother to try and balance fire at all.

"Farewell, Romance!" the Cave-men said;
    "With bone well carved He went away,
    Flint arms the ignoble arrowhead,
    And jasper tips the spear to-day.
    Changed are the Gods of Hunt and Dance,
    And He with these. Farewell, Romance!"

(via)

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Wonder if there'll be a early release of Genesys at GenCon. Would make sense, seeing how they like to launch their RPG's there.

Typically most RPG games if they can possibly launch at or right before gen con will do so. So if they don't it means likely its physically not ready or printing can't finish up soon enough.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

Typically most RPG games if they can possibly launch at or right before gen con will do so. So if they don't it means likely its physically not ready or printing can't finish up soon enough.

They've been announcing a LOT of wide release Q4 products the last few weeks. I expect all of them to be at GenCon.

Given that there's no beta for this system...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    I've played tons of Savage Worlds. I'm in a weekly game using it right now. The base game before power crazy settings like Rifts is tacked on is pretty simple. I don't have any let's play examples or anything but I'd be happy to help if you have anything specific. Is there a setting you're trying to set up for? Modern, fantast, etc..

Sorry, been a bit sidetracked and sort of forgot about this.
    I've never really run a campaign, so we aren't too sure where to start with that and I think we're looking for some sort of newbie's guide to rpgs. I'll try and work for specific questions for savage worlds/campaign running stuff with her later.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So there is a game using the Gumshoe system called "The King in Yellow" that is about memes so powerful that they can topple nation's. It's got four settings in it including an alternative 2017 where a meme has taken down a dictator and our own 2017 where things are bad just below the surface. It's like Cthulhu if he was Pizzagate.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    So there is a game using the Gumshoe system called "The King in Yellow" that is about memes so powerful that they can topple nation's. It's got four settings in it including an alternative 2017 where a meme has taken down a dictator and our own 2017 where things are bad just below the surface. It's like Cthulhu if he was Pizzagate.
    But Cthulhu already is Pizzagate: a total fabrication of a derranged individual. :rotate:

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Backed in the King in Yellow kickstarter, some really good tweaks to GUMSHOE.

• Options
    I kinda want to back the Yellow King stuff myself. The production values look amazing.

But I need to look at the one on one Cthullu stuff first, probably.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Cthulhu Confidential is rad as fuck.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Am I the only person who's actually read The King In Yellow? Because it's literally a meme that drives the narrator to try and plot to topple the nation (maybe).

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Cthulhu Confidential/GUMSHOE One-2-One is fucking genius, and that's coming from someone who plays a lot of two-player RPGs. It understands the unique constraints and opportunities that come from a 2-player setup, and takes real advantage of them to create some incredible roleplay experiences.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Does the Genesys system use the exact same dice as Star Wars? I already have two beginners sets worth of those dice, so it'd be sweet not to have to buy new ones.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Does the Genesys system use the exact same dice as Star Wars? I already have two beginners sets worth of those dice, so it'd be sweet not to have to buy new ones.

I don't think anybody knows yet as it isn't released.

I'd be a bit surprised if they changed though.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

It uses a generic version of the dice rather than Star Wars imagery. Still the same system, though , so if you know what advantage, success, triumph, etc are, then you should be able to use the same dice.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Have we had confirmation that the distribution on the dice didn't change? Like I said, I would be surprised if they did but I don't recall them saying yet.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I saw the icons were different (no big). I guess we'll have to wait and see wrt the distribution (which would be big).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Haha I'm fucked. My group rolled up their gamma world characters yesterday and 3 out of 5 of them ended up with the hawkoid origin, which means flight at level 1.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Haha I'm fucked. My group rolled up their gamma world characters yesterday and 3 out of 5 of them ended up with the hawkoid origin, which means flight at level 1.

So get crazy with it and have them invade the Gamma Hive of the Technobees, who operate in 3d anyway.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    ... It's been a difficult mating season for Birdperson.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Oh man I wonder if I can rig something up using x-wing bases to denote height.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    kaid wrote: »

They've been announcing a LOT of wide release Q4 products the last few weeks. I expect all of them to be at GenCon.

Given that there's no beta for this system...

Yup if they can make it even on a limited con special early preview they will do so. Because they already have a big presence there and its probably one of the best bang for the buck word of mouth advertising weekends an RPG/board/card game can get.

• Options

I don't think anybody knows yet as it isn't released.

I'd be a bit surprised if they changed though.

From their preview I would doubt it. Or if they do they are basically the same dice with the same facing but maybe different symbols for flavor but regardless I would be shocked if you could not easily use your starwars dice for it.