As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I think @OptimusZed , @Carnarvon , & @Ken O all have some experience with Savage Worlds, they might be able to give you some pointers, point to some let's plays?

I realize you already bought Savage Worlds, but as an unasked for opinion, what I've heard makes Savage Worlds sound overly complicated, with a significant number of systems that do anything besides needlessly complex D20 better.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I played savage worlds and it felt very generic and the gimmicky stuff it has didn't really seem like they worked especially well.

I'm not negative so much as I am blasé about it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I've played tons of Savage Worlds. I'm in a weekly game using it right now. The base game before power crazy settings like Rifts is tacked on is pretty simple. I don't have any let's play examples or anything but I'd be happy to help if you have anything specific. Is there a setting you're trying to set up for? Modern, fantast, etc..

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I played savage worlds and it felt very generic and the gimmicky stuff it has didn't really seem like they worked especially well.

I'm not negative so much as I am blasé about it.

I would agree with this, with the added sentiment that mechanically bland isn't necessarily the worst flavor for a first RPG experience.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    My brain does this terrible "if you give a mouse a cookie" thing with RPGs.

If I go several months without playing, I'm going to want to make a character.
    If I make a character, I'm going to want to play that character.
    If I want to play a character, I'm going to want to run a game. <---- Where I'm at right now
    If I want to run a game, I'm going to burn myself out through over-preparation.
    If I burn myself out through over-preparation....I'll go several more months without playing.

WACriminal on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

If I want to play a character, I'm going to want to run a game. <---- Where I'm at right now
    If I burn myself out through over-preparation....I'll go several more months without playing.

Every part of this sounds fine until you get to "burn yourself out through over-preparation". If you can get out of that part of the cycle the rest is Very Good!

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Every part of this sounds fine until you get to "burn yourself out through over-preparation". If you can get out of that part of the cycle the rest is Very Good!

I have a set of fears that I'm trying to figure out how to get around, other than over-preparation.

1) Lore. I didn't play any D&D or anything until I was in college, and I felt like there was so much lore players and GMs were expected to be at least somewhat familiar with, and I just don't know much of it.
    2) Objectivity. I'm always afraid I'll be unfair to my players by accident, because my understanding of appropriate DCs and such will be skewed. Or that a player will come up with something creative to do, and I'll either make it too easy or too difficult because I didn't have a pre-prepared contingency for their action.
    3) Creativity. Player wants to go shopping, unexpectedly. Now I've gotta come up with a shop name, a shopkeeper, a personality for that shopkeeper, stats if they want to rob that shopkeeper, a realistic inventory for the shop, prices, etc. My nightmare, for some reason, is a scenario where a player asks me, "What's the shopkeeper's name?" and I'm like, "...Bill?"

Preparation can address all of these in *theory*, but in *practice* there's never enough prep to kill my anxiety.

I have a set of fears that I'm trying to figure out how to get around, other than over-preparation.

1) Lore. I didn't play any D&D or anything until I was in college, and I felt like there was so much lore players and GMs were expected to be at least somewhat familiar with, and I just don't know much of it.
    2) Objectivity. I'm always afraid I'll be unfair to my players by accident, because my understanding of appropriate DCs and such will be skewed. Or that a player will come up with something creative to do, and I'll either make it too easy or too difficult because I didn't have a pre-prepared contingency for their action.
    3) Creativity. Player wants to go shopping, unexpectedly. Now I've gotta come up with a shop name, a shopkeeper, a personality for that shopkeeper, stats if they want to rob that shopkeeper, a realistic inventory for the shop, prices, etc. My nightmare, for some reason, is a scenario where a player asks me, "What's the shopkeeper's name?" and I'm like, "...Bill?"

Preparation can address all of these in *theory*, but in *practice* there's never enough prep to kill my anxiety.

I mean, that is certainly a way that you can run your game, and some people are very effective at it. But there are a number of alternative systems that would reduce those issues.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    My rule is "prep set-pieces, not situations". Don't carefully craft a scenario that will only apply to that specific campaign (unless you think the payoff will be AWESOME). Craft a general scenario that can be used or thrown away or recycled. Figure out the moving parts, throw those moving parts onto your note paper, and then put it in a binder. If you use it, great! If you don't use it, ALSO GREAT... you can use it in another adventure later!

For example, my players joke about this particular map that we have called "Typical Ambush Site" (there is a literal map in one of the old Shadowrun scenarios that is labeled as such. :D ). But whenever I need an impromptu situation where the players are near a T-section of city blocks, and there are some generic threats that are designed to stop them at the T-section, I break that map out and the tokens representing the gangers/corp security/cult members, adding or subtracting a few for threat level. It's already prepared, and I need to do no guesswork as to how that scenario will play out.

When crafting your setpieces, also make them flexible enough to be "solved" in multiple ways. I usually use the Leverage archetypes of Hitter (fight), Hacker (bypass/trigger a hazard), Mastermind (set up a plan ahead of time), Grifter (negotiate/parlay), and Thief (stealth or steal a lynchpin). Not only can you reskin a setpiece so you can reuse it ("instead of goblins, I'll throw in the lizardmen that we had previously in the adventure"), the PCs can stumble through that setpiece using a different method ("Hey, this time the thief found the tripwire to release the boulder trap early.").

When doing this in the middle of running a campaign, I tend to create the whole adventure as a string of "pearls", 5 room dungeon style, (the pearls in this case being the individual setpieces), then create a couple of optional setpieces that could potentially squeeze themselves into the adventure continuity to lengthen it or complicate it or provide an alternate path (essentially adding a 6th or 7th room to the 5 room dungeon). If I don't use the optional stuff (which I often don't), great! I can shelve them for a later game.

If you aren't familiar with 5 Room Dungeon, you can google it for a lot of great ideas for adventures. It's a framework for thinking about your adventures as a series of 5 rooms that is similar to the 5 act structure of TV shows, and it really helps you organize your thoughts into short, playable, and enjoyable adventures.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's very much a reason a lot of GM resources are titled toolkits: You can't prep perfect, breathable worlds but you can prep tools that let you make something that resembles it to the players by having access to a variety of pre-genned characters, locations and so on that are generic rather than specific in purpose.

Here's the trick: preparation can never address all of those, because the potential space for each one is infinite. You cannot possibly prep enough to cover every possible scenario you could end up in. Nor is it necessary or possible to be a perfect, 100% on all the time, improviser. Here are some tricks for each of your fears:

Predetermined lore is bullshit. Nothing in your game is true until you or a player declares it to be true. When a lore question comes up you have a few good options:
    1. Answer it with something cool, or something obvious. Sometimes you'll have an immediate creative answer, but sometimes the best answer is the obvious one. Sometimes an obvious cliche, but applied in an unusual context is a creative answer!
    2. Turn it back around on a player. Someone asks something about elf lore: turn to the player who's playing an elf and repeat the question.
    3. Shelve it. "I'll get back to you on that later." Mainly for when a lore question could actually end up being really important and you don't want to give a quick answer. Not every question needs to be decided as soon as it's asked!

Start with a base difficulty. Adjust up or down as it feels appropriate. I haven't played a lot of D&D recently but DC15 used to be the midpoint, then you add or subtract in units of 2 or 3 until you get a number that feels right. Sometimes your players will complain because they're players and that's what they'll do, but sometimes they'll point out that the last time you had them climb a rock wall it was DC12, not 15. Either justify the new value, or agree and move on. Don't worry about a specific challenge being too easy -- players will be happy with they accomplish something; if they come up with a good idea and make an easy roll, they're not gonna be sad that the roll was too easy, they're gonna be happy that their good idea gave them such a low DC.

Random generators! There are LITERALLY A MILLION OF THEM. My personal favorite is donjon but I'm sure others will have their own suggestions. You can even just open your rulebook and pick a name from the "suggested names" list for each race. As far as mechanics, a shopkeeper doesn't need specific stats -- much like (2) above, just give him an average sounding Perception/Insight/whatever, roll it, and move on.

Also, don't be afraid to take a break midgame to quickly sketch out whatever nonsense your players decided to go after instead of the adventure hook.

• Mahou So-soMahou So-so Registered User regular
    Hullo!

Only a lurker here before now, but I'm currently in a situation that seemed like a perfect one to make an account and start posting. I was recently introduced to City of Mist (PbtA with a nifty Super-powered Noir setting) and was thinking of picking it up. Problem is, a pdf version of the game supposedly won't be out for a while--just hardback is available for pre-order. Since I don't have a lot of room for physical books as it is, and hardbacks aren't exactly cheap, I thought it might be worth it to try running a game utilizing the Starter set here, since you guys seem to have a pretty active play-by-post community, and see if its worth me going "all in", as it were.

Would it be in bad taste for a newbie to jump right in a start up a pbp? Or should I put in some time as a poster before I make that leap?

Thanks!

I don't represent this entire forum, but... my initial response is go for it! Most PbPs die out pretty quickly just by virtue of being kind of a rough format, so no one's going to be upset with you if that happens. New games are always cool and who doesn't love creating characters?

That said, I would make sure you understand the tone of this forum first. There's a lot of different voices, but in general tends to be very progressive. If that's something you're likely to come into conflict with, I would try elsewhere.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So

Exalted 3e

Turns out that OPP may have been up to some very shady business practises when it comes to paying their employees

Also, it turns out John Morke said to OPP that Ex3 would take two years to write. Minimum. written in two years. This was in 2013. So the Kickstarter manager promised it in 2013, six months after the KS, but the writers were saying it should be going into layout in the first half of 2015. Which... it did?

This is pretty crazy. So according to the fired Devs, Ex3 wasn't so much late as it was handed into layout when they said it would be, give or take a few months. They are then extremely pissed it sat in layout for almost a year because they consider that an extreme clusterfuck.

Hmmm! If this is to be believed then basically the reason for Ex3's lateness was that it's given ETA was drastically shortened to pull in as much cash as possible from the KS.

Long imgur of chat screens and tweets if you're curious

Solar on
    I don't represent this entire forum, but... my initial response is go for it! Most PbPs die out pretty quickly just by virtue of being kind of a rough format, so no one's going to be upset with you if that happens. New games are always cool and who doesn't love creating characters?

That said, I would make sure you understand the tone of this forum first. There's a lot of different voices, but in general tends to be very progressive. If that's something you're likely to come into conflict with, I would try elsewhere.

Progressive? Like in terms of running games more narrativist rather than simulationist? Or something else?

I'll be sure to make clear my style in the recruitment thread though if it might be an issue!

Is this new information? I could've sworn we already knew that. Or was it the devs/writers who were blamed up until now?

Devs and writers were blamed

and fired with the delays being the reason!

edited June 2017

Progressive? Like in terms of running games more narrativist rather than simulationist? Or something else?

I'll be sure to make clear my style in the recruitment thread though if it might be an issue!

I can see how that was ambiguous. I mean politically -- pro-feminist, pro-LGBTQ, pro-BLM, that kind of thing.

As far as gaming styles we run the gamut. You'll find players no matter what you ask for.

admanb on
    Solar wrote: »
    Devs and writers were blamed

and fired with the delays being the reason!

I know why I was confused. I saw this podcast thread recently, so that was the most up-to-date info I had. But now I recall the previous anger towards (supposedly) unreliable devs.

That's the stuff I was talking about yeah

But that's only a few weeks old, I only just heard about it

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

I can see how that was ambiguous. I mean politically -- pro-feminist, pro-LGBTQ, pro-BLM, that kind of thing.

As far as gaming styles we run the gamut. You'll find players no matter what you ask for.

I'm pretty anti-SJW and I get along well with CF, but that's because we aren't political here. But in Debate and Discourse... Not so much. So... Avoid that place if you are like me (or a masochist like me.)

Ha! That was my first instinct when you said progressive, but then I thought that might just me being overly political, lol.

We're all good on that front.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Quote of the session:
    Falling from the sky, I attempt to stab Mickey with the vacuum.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    I mean. It's been a pretty silly episode all around.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Oats wrote: »
    I mean. It's been a pretty silly episode all around.
    Says the guy who fed a fae power to a whale god for the sake of convenience.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    Survival. The sake of survival.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Proving once again that Jack of all people is somehow a civilizing influence on these people.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Proving once again that Jack of all people is somehow a civilizing influence on these people.
    Last night, on Those Swamp Wizards.. (spoiler in case you'd rather listen
    • They shot (well, stabbed) the messenger
    • Broke RAMP
    • Reenacted The Shallows
    • Played soccer with Maeve
    • Played bartender with Mab
    • Took an ewok for a ride to poke god in the eye

jdarksun on
    I did end up posting the recruitment thread for anyone in here that's interested.

City of Mist pbp

Also, have you guys seen any other interesting non-rpg uses for PbtA out there? I mentioned Techno Bowl in the boardgame thread, which is a really fun football game. Is there anything else like that out there?

jdarksun wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Last night, on Those Swamp Wizards.. (spoiler in case you'd rather listen
    • They shot (well, stabbed) the messenger
    • Broke RAMP
    • Reenacted The Shallows
    • Played soccer with Maeve
    • Played bartender with Mab
    • Took an ewok for a ride to poke god in the eye

I would like to listen, but you guys need to post things faster so I can binge listen to all of them and then complain that there aren't any more to listen too.

edited June 2017
    Tales from the Loop is quite strong.

The character gen asks good questions and has incredible hooks.

The principles outline a game that is cinematic in the best ways. At the start of each mystery each Kid plays out a normal scene from their lives so we get a slice of life. From there you should be setting and cutting scenes pretty naturally.

The biggest issues we had honestly were with @Matev getting absolutely fucked by the dice (a total of 4 sixes across ~50d6) and me ruining about fifteen minutes of audio.

Oats on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    We don't have a world-building thread do we?

I have been working on-and-off on a campaign setting. So if anyone is curious about that kinda thing -- I am going link my obisidan portal wiki.

https://titania.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Oats wrote: »
    Tales from the Loop is quite strong.

The character gen asks good questions and has incredible hooks.

The principles outline a game that is cinematic in the best ways. At the start of each mystery each Kid plays out a normal scene from their lives so we get a slice of life. From there you should be setting and cutting scenes pretty naturally.

The biggest issues we had honestly were with @Matev getting absolutely fucked by the dice (a total of 4 sixes across ~50d6) and me ruining about fifteen minutes of audio.

Yes, it was brutal, but everything that wasn't dice rolling was fantastic. Characters and setting were fantastic, and the setup process was the most organic creation I've seen outside of Fiasco.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    So, I just stumbled on Clink on KS. It looks sort of like a PbtA game, but it uses coin flips and a nifty "build your character as you go" mechanic. Anyone else checked it out?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    FFG just announced a Generic rulebook for their Narrative dice system (the one they used in Star Wars).

The article specifically calls out running Android out of it, which probably explains why they have been releasing fluff books without splat for a bit now.

I do not know if this will be the core they build L5R on, but the narrative system is really awesome. I ran 3 sessions of the Beginner Games for Star Wars on Free RPG day, and everyone enjoyed them.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/27/genesys/

gns01_dice_names.png

gns01_dice_icons.png

Edit: Oh huh, completely missed at first that they updated Triumph/Despair to include the symbols for Success and Failure, making it much clearer!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    yessssssss

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I hope the "Hero Dice" (Destiny points) system will be returning, even if as an option. It is my favorite part of the SWRPG, due to my love for 7th Sea.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    That's gonna be great. I love the Narrative dice system, despite the clunky skill tree system bolted onto it.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Curious to see how they handle talent trees in a generic system, and will admit that the system doesn't fit every game, but I'm super excited for this.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    @Infidel gonna have to update orokos ;)