As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    isn't nurgle like super laid back and welcoming though?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    To his followers and daemons, yeah. He still inflicts all manner of disease on everything and he represents disease, death, entropy, and decay. Like sell him being laid back and welcoming to a commoner wailing because of pain due to lesions and shit.

Do you have a music suggestion?

• Options
    I don't know why, but I keep coming back to like grunge and gutter punk music, or like... funk

• Options
    Like i know 40k strains towards being metal as fuck, so like any metal will really do, but papa nurgle's always sounded like a grungy kinda guy. He just wants to get every thing real funky child.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Fuckin primus, primus has to have something papa nurgle would jam on

Sleep on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I thought for those in his fold, for those that submit to papa the suffering half is removed they simply act as the walking biological weapon to do papa nurgle's will and spread disease. Like yeah whatever I'm gunna die from it still, but it doesn't hurt cause papa nurgles a cool guy he just wants his creations to propogate.

Like i thought that was the pitch. "Hey, here have this horrible disease, but don't worry if you follow papa nurgle its not so bad, ah yes child go forth and spread the words of nurgle... Go die in a watersupply"... oor like they can choose to go with the miserable groaning death that nurgle's expertise hath wrought

Sleep on
  • Options
    Fuck getting into character for 40k gets so dark so fuckin fast

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I could see Grunge. Especially something like “Come as You Are”. Although I think I am basing my choices around a theme of what the characters as loyal Imperials see and you are basing them off what followers of Nurgle see.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I could see Grunge. Especially something like “Come as You Are”. Although I think I am basing my choices around a theme of what the characters as loyal Imperials see and you are basing them off what followers of Nurgle see.

This is very true. I may have misunderstood, is this music for your imperials to stomp nurgle to, or is it music for someone summoning up nurgle's powers?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    It is to set the scene for Imperial loyalist Inquisitorial acolytes to witness some nasty nurgle shit. They see a pus and vomit covered angel of death (marine) out of a portal that they have to stop or the world gets invaded.

E: same for most of the music choices. They’re all from an Imperial perspective. Like the tone of “Raining Blood” is not positive or in favor of Khornate acts.

E2: then there’s me playing Wu Tang Clan for a character named Wu Tang who is a kung fu gunslinging cowboy. That’s possibly from his perspective. He is cocky and a legitimate threat to my full low level party so ya best protect ya neck.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Wait, how is raining blood not some blatant khorn stuff? You know, blood for the blood God, and all that jazz.

Like if im a khorn berserker raining blood is like a go to pump up jam for drop shipping into active combat.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Come as you are would be a pretty haunting intro for a guy that can kill them just by standing next to them.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    You know what? I was going to disagree with you until this final lyric

“Creating my structure now I shall reign in blood”

Everything before that sounded pretty negative about the whole lacerated sky thing but I see it now.

Still, the tone of the song works in the context of Imperials or fighting Khorne or Khornates directly worshipping Khorne. (Also yes I know the “Does not care where the blood flows” there’s a difference).

Edit: I would rather keep As You Are to more mind controlley stuff.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    You know what? I was going to disagree with you until this final lyric

“Creating my structure now I shall reign in blood”

Everything before that sounded pretty negative about the whole lacerated sky thing but I see it now.

Still, the tone of the song works in the context of Imperials or fighting Khorne or Khornates directly worshipping Khorne. (Also yes I know the “Does not care where the blood flows” there’s a difference).

Edit: I would rather keep As You Are to more mind controlley stuff.

Nah you right

As you are definitely works better for a mind controlley thing. Especially in the case of 40k "no i don't have a gun" ;)

Raining in blood is like a perfect layover for imperials and khornites duking it out. The duality of it, that either side could be jamming on it, is like the best most khornish part. Specially if its like khornites and blood angles going at it.

Hmmm, if you could find the right version of come together it might work for a nurgle intro
    https://youtu.be/kPi-MOxR0l4
    https://youtu.be/UX7bxe2whlw
    https://youtu.be/fpT4kgg5xlw
    I dont know why this song is jumping out at me now, but i like cover diving.

Sleep on
  • Options
    I could see that.

Also is it Khornates or Khornites?

• Options
    That is the perfect avatar for that post.

• Options
    I'm not sure if its khornites or nates... they're all heretics.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    New Galloping Aethexe Expendable Henchmen Party WIP
    sxes65sqchxt.png
    Moth says he’s going to try to finish it this weekend

Kadoken on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    If it doesn’t have the word slaughter or blood or gore or skull in it, it’s not Khorne.

Khornate or Khornite? The followers of Khorne have no time for petty semantics.

They are skulltakers or slaughter priests or bloodstokers or gorechosen.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Okay but the party still needs to know who they’re stabbing. Also if big doggos are to follow.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    To his followers and daemons, yeah. He still inflicts all manner of disease on everything and he represents disease, death, entropy, and decay. Like sell him being laid back and welcoming to a commoner wailing because of pain due to lesions and shit.

Do you have a music suggestion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQdklpn6qgw

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Okay but the party still needs to know who they’re stabbing. Also if big doggos are to follow.

Those are called Bloodpuppers.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Maybe Blood Like Cream by Red Fang?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Blood is for Khorne.

Although I have been trying to make a villain with the name Porphyrias a thing. I wanted him to be a Nurglite who is also anti-Khorne because it’s like a blood disease, but it’s specifically due to chemical buildup so I’m not sure if it works.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So I'm planning on creating a custom Star Wars rpg with some friends. I'm grabbing the Force and Destiny stuff. So far I have the core rulebook and Keeping the Peace. Any other Force and Destiny books that would be recommended?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Customer RPG for a game store?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Customer RPG for a game store?

Custom story. My auto correct has been weird and my phone lags in weird ways messing up my typing.

Edit: I wanna make sure I have this right. So picking a career in Force and Destiny gets 1 skills that is part of the 6 skills in that career and then another 3 skills and then 2 skills of the 4 available for the first chosen specialization. Is that right? The part I'm not sure about is the 1 skill.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I'm planning on creating a custom Star Wars rpg with some friends. I'm grabbing the Force and Destiny stuff. So far I have the core rulebook and Keeping the Peace. Any other Force and Destiny books that would be recommended?

Nexus of Power has some really cool planets detailed in it and offers all sorts of details into the history (and mythology) of the history of Force users.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Nexus of Power has some really cool planets detailed in it and offers all sorts of details into the history (and mythology) of the history of Force users.

Cool, I will look into getting that one.

I've been reading through the rulebook. I feel very overwhelmed. There is a lot going on with each part. The dice rolling seemed way more confusing than it actually is.

I need to get working on the story as well. Writing something up that takes place just after shit goes down with order 66. My players already have their classes: 2 jedi, a smuggler, bounty hunter, and diplomat.

I want their characters to all start some where different and converge at one place to meet up.

Got lots to do.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

I've been reading through the rulebook. I feel very overwhelmed. There is a lot going on with each part. The dice rolling seemed way more confusing than it actually is.

I need to get working on the story as well. Writing something up that takes place just after shit goes down with order 66. My players already have their classes: 2 jedi, a smuggler, bounty hunter, and diplomat.

I want their characters to all start some where different and converge at one place to meet up.

Got lots to do.

So you're going to run into the issue with the Morality system if you've got a mix like that. It is somewhat a check on Jedi but really it is meant to make the Jedi players question the moral justification of their actions. It is a big part of what makes Force and Destiny feel like a game about Jedi. In a mixed game I would absolutely not use it for everybody. At a guess the Obligation system from Edge of the Empire is probably the best fit for that group if they're on the run from the Empire and trying to scrape by.

Edit: Oh yeah, random plug: ThatDNDPodcast has a complete campaign up on it now where I started knowing nothing about the system so some of the early stuff is very rules explain-y. Without a pilot I think the only really crunchy area you're going to need to engage with is combat which I'm gonna guess you expected.

Also I found this super helpful.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Can you folks rec me some systems with good vehicle combat mechanics? I'm looking for some Mad Max cinematic rule of cool kinda stuff.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Is there a good way to do a villain you can’t just shoot or slash to death? I want to do a villain that is basically anti-thetical to my first party’s modus operandi. Where the secret to beat the villain is to destroy or take artifacts that he summons from his flesh to use them, but he can summon them anywhere on his body so they have to search for them. He only summons them when he needs them, though. Because he consumed the artifacts inro his flesh and they give him the ability to absorb others and take their forms, give perfect regeneration, make him fast, and give him other powers.

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    if you have a good handle on their destructive capabilities just give him a custom ability that allows him to recover more and faster than they are capable of dishing out

and if they somehow outpace that then roll with it

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    Can you folks rec me some systems with good vehicle combat mechanics? I'm looking for some Mad Max cinematic rule of cool kinda stuff.

Do you mean minis-style combat with vehicles on a grid? Or do you just want a system that has rules for doing cool things like chases, dynamic transfers, ramming and getting rammed?

Because when the second version of Apocalypse World came out, Fury Road existed when it hadn't before.

• Options

Got lots to do.

So you're going to run into the issue with the Morality system if you've got a mix like that. It is somewhat a check on Jedi but really it is meant to make the Jedi players question the moral justification of their actions. It is a big part of what makes Force and Destiny feel like a game about Jedi. In a mixed game I would absolutely not use it for everybody. At a guess the Obligation system from Edge of the Empire is probably the best fit for that group if they're on the run from the Empire and trying to scrape by.

Edit: Oh yeah, random plug: ThatDNDPodcast has a complete campaign up on it now where I started knowing nothing about the system so some of the early stuff is very rules explain-y. Without a pilot I think the only really crunchy area you're going to need to engage with is combat which I'm gonna guess you expected.

Thank you for that cheat sheet, it is going to make life a lot easier for this game.

For morality, I did see that the other two core rulebooks use Obligation and Duty respectively for their rules. I was planning on letting the players track their respective system, morality, duty, and obligation as it comes up for their class. I don't know how Obligation or Duty work though so I'm not sure if it will all work together smoothly.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    There should be sidebars in the books about integrating different trackers together.

What sort of campaign are you going for? Obligation is a thing that those on the fringe have, and they want to reduce it, while Duty is how members of the Rebellion try to serve the cause, and they want to increase it. I would suggest picking one or the other, whichever is going to better inform the tone of the campaign and what kind of characters people are making. Otherwise trying to balance all three kinds in one game sounds like a big headache.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Got lots to do.

Thank you for that cheat sheet, it is going to make life a lot easier for this game.

For morality, I did see that the other two core rulebooks use Obligation and Duty respectively for their rules. I was planning on letting the players track their respective system, morality, duty, and obligation as it comes up for their class. I don't know how Obligation or Duty work though so I'm not sure if it will all work together smoothly.

No problem, happy to spread that sheet around as it's great.

The issue is that all of them use group totals as narrative mechanics. I'm a bit fuzzy on this since it's been awhile but it typically involves adding all the values together and then you roll some percentile. If you get a number lower than the total then it "Becomes an Issue" for that session. So for Obligation that was a debt you have Greedo show up and hassle that player or for Morality you try and make sure you give them a difficult choice that revolves around that morality. I am like 1000% positive there are folks who have dealt with this issue out there so you could probably google up some advice or unofficial methods of handling it.

For the group you describe I'd probably stick to Obligation. Duty is weird outside the military structure of the Rebellion proper and Morality warps the game in some pretty strong ways. I think Morality was perfect for a group of Jedi trying to find their path but for a group of survivors and scoundrels just trying to scrape by I think it is going to end up a "Feel Bad" mechanic.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

Car Wars?

• Options
    There should be sidebars in the books about integrating different trackers together.

What sort of campaign are you going for? Obligation is a thing that those on the fringe have, and they want to reduce it, while Duty is how members of the Rebellion try to serve the cause, and they want to increase it. I would suggest picking one or the other, whichever is going to better inform the tone of the campaign and what kind of characters people are making. Otherwise trying to balance all three kinds in one game sounds like a big headache.

The starting idea is everyone is getting to the smuggler. Smugglers gets the Jedi away for obvious reasons order 66 is in effect and they don't want to go up against a bunch of clone troopers. Diplomat and bounty hunter still haven't gotten back to me on their motivation. In the escape the smuggler's ship gets damaged and needs to try to find repairs.

About as far as I've gotten. I plan on offering side quests for the players specific to class and need to find more lore for Jedi stuff which is why I'm excited to get Nexus of power.

Got lots to do.

No problem, happy to spread that sheet around as it's great.

The issue is that all of them use group totals as narrative mechanics. I'm a bit fuzzy on this since it's been awhile but it typically involves adding all the values together and then you roll some percentile. If you get a number lower than the total then it "Becomes an Issue" for that session. So for Obligation that was a debt you have Greedo show up and hassle that player or for Morality you try and make sure you give them a difficult choice that revolves around that morality. I am like 1000% positive there are folks who have dealt with this issue out there so you could probably google up some advice or unofficial methods of handling it.

For the group you describe I'd probably stick to Obligation. Duty is weird outside the military structure of the Rebellion proper and Morality warps the game in some pretty strong ways. I think Morality was perfect for a group of Jedi trying to find their path but for a group of survivors and scoundrels just trying to scrape by I think it is going to end up a "Feel Bad" mechanic.

So basically don't use duty and morality at all and go with Obligation?