Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

1919293949597»

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Hey this is some fucking awesome advice! I'm thinking it might be fun to come up with a table of random complications. Then when I create stuff for them to do at the end I can generate a random complication or two to give me and my players some spice.

I'm excited for Android because as much as the whole cyberpunk/Shadowrun aesthetic really interests me, I never have wanted to have to really dig into the shadowrun books. I'm already running a main Genesys game set on the fantasy D&D high seas that I've put together from scratch, and this game is for when we have a player who can't make it (Lots of travel for work) with a system I don't have to do too much bolting on to.

Glad to hear it! Couple of pile-ons to consider. When you're players are looking for ways to exploit these systems you've put in place remember these two adages: "Convenience is the enemy of security," and "Complacency is the friend of Confidence." It's like when you've got to make a weird 24 character password with no sequential numbers or letters, no words, and of course 2 each of capitals, lower-case, numbers, and special characters. And you've got to change it every month. Ain't no body gonna remember that: it's either going to be some kind of spacial sequence or they're going to write it down in a convienet place, like in that cool moleskin notebook they review with their morning coffee at the nearby Starbucks.

Genesys I think is a little rough wrt this kinda of deliberate cause & effect style of gameplay, so you may want to plan in advance how to translate the threat generated on their rolls in predictable and scale-able ways that don't immediately compromise their objectives. For example, the win condition in my scenario above is to upload a plant into the network undetected, it wouldn't do if you spent threat to make a hidden alarm go off. But it could work out that there's some sort of daemon that automatically logs admin accounts and notifies an off-site when its alarm threshold is reached for a certain number of actions (represented by a total amount of threat). The PCs should know about this if they've done their homework (and it raises the tension for the game if they know it's coming) but they might not be able to find out exactly what that response is until it happens. It should be another encounter/obstacle for them to overcome if the game reaches that point. To help this along I'd encourage you to allow the PCs to suffer stress instead of letting threat build, and also only allowing them to recover a single stress per scene via advantage.

As far as building random charts goes, that's been on my to-do list for a long time. I've codified a few different security examples scattered across multiple doc files, and maybe I'll take a look for them tomorrow. I went so far as to read a few books on Cybersecurity and Cyberwarfare to add more depth and realism to my games that never materialized :(

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    crimsoncoyoteKadokenwebguy20
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I’ve never understood the hype about 13th age. I like the narrative elements of the icons and relative positioning in combat, but everything else about the system is clunky if not dull.

It was intended to evoke feelings of D&D.

Not to chuck a spear your way, but what does that even mean?
    I think the post you're quoting was intended to be read like this:
    [A lot about 13th Age] is clunky if not dull.

It was intended to evoke feelings of D&D.
    In other words, it's a dunk on D&D.

italianranmaDevoutlyApatheticRingoArdent
  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    First session of Genesys:Android went really well. Finished up our session zero and did a short mission. They got to gather a bit of intel, raid a chop shop and do some running. The running integrated pretty seamlessly into the regular combat system. I also printed out the "map" of the system our runner was in and it helped a lot.

Overall a thumbs up. Though this setting is much more reliant on social encounters, which means I'm going to have to step my NPC game up. Anybody have some good suggestions or resources for that? Especially acting them out during the session

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    RingoMostlyjoe13
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Every NPC should have a drive, a motive. In Dungeon World parlance, an "instinct."

It doesn't have to be complicated, it could just be "keep your head down and make rent," but it will help inform how the NPC interacts with the players.

wpyz0Y5.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    italianranmaJacobkoshMsAnthropyRingoRhesus PositiveLord_Asmodeus
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Every NPC should have a drive, a motive. In Dungeon World parlance, an "instinct."

It doesn't have to be complicated, it could just be "keep your head down and make rent," but it will help inform how the NPC interacts with the players.

I do have that part, which is super helpful I agree. I guess specifically I'm having a hard time bringing these characters to life at the table. I'm wondering if I should take an acting or improv class or lessons?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I do have that part, which is super helpful I agree. I guess specifically I'm having a hard time bringing these characters to life at the table.

For each of them, pick a thing. A mannerism, a (bad) accent, a favorite phrase. Something that when you do your players can be sure they're talking to NPC Y. That and them having an actual POV(/goal/instinct/whatever) will help a lot.
    I'm wondering if I should take an acting or improv class or lessons?

That could help but be aware that character work is usually not intro improv stuff. I've usually seen it as an intermediate level stuff. Intro is usually about basic concepts and getting folks past freezing up.

italianranma

I do have that part, which is super helpful I agree. I guess specifically I'm having a hard time bringing these characters to life at the table.

For each of them, pick a thing. A mannerism, a (bad) accent, a favorite phrase. Something that when you do your players can be sure they're talking to NPC Y. That and them having an actual POV(/goal/instinct/whatever) will help a lot.

That could help but be aware that character work is usually not intro improv stuff. I've usually seen it as an intermediate level stuff. Intro is usually about basic concepts and getting folks past freezing up.

I'll look into mannerisms, speech patterns and phrases. I'm naturally introverted with no ear for accents so opening up playing characters has been my biggest struggle for sure.

• ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited March 13
    so the interesting thing about acting in general is that tons of communication and character comes just as much from cadence, pitch, tone, and body language, and the best part is all of those are pretty easy to change. you could build an entire stable of characters without modifying accent at all just by tweaking say, cadence, or speed of speech, or just body language

also, body language in general tends to force changes in the other qualities if you exaggerate it (posture especially)

so start there, make tweaks, and you will find yourself inhabiting those roles more and more

(accents help, so i'd recommend if you like that sort of thing to learn, but it's definitely not needed!)

ArcanisTheImpotent on
    italianranma
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

I'll look into mannerisms, speech patterns and phrases. I'm naturally introverted with no ear for accents so opening up playing characters has been my biggest struggle for sure.

Do what I did for about a month: Pick a Muppet and emulate that Muppet for each NPC. Start with hard to guess ones like Sam The Eagle and keep going until you reach Cookie Monster or The Count. See how long it takes before your PCs catch on.

Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MHGU: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    crimsoncoyoteSteelhawkdestroyah87webguy20JPantsitalianranmaArdentNipsMsAnthropyAnialosRingoMatevRhesus PositiveCalicaLord_AsmodeusPolaritie
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Accents aren't really necessary to distinguish characters. Austin Walker, generally regarded as an extremely good GM, has said he only has "higher voice, lower voice, Southern accent" for character voices, but it's the word choice, inflection, cadence, etc., that makes the characters distinct.

Maybe one character stammers, or always goes "uh..." before answering a question, or or doesn't use contractions, or speaks with a haughty air, or is always smiling (actually smile while doing the lines), or or or...

wpyz0Y5.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    MahnmutNips
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 13
    Accents aren't really necessary to distinguish characters. Austin Walker, generally regarded as an extremely good GM, has said he only has "higher voice, lower voice, Southern accent" for character voices, but it's the word choice, inflection, cadence, etc., that makes the characters distinct.

Maybe one character stammers, or always goes "uh..." before answering a question, or or doesn't use contractions, or speaks with a haughty air, or is always smiling (actually smile while doing the lines), or or or...

I started writing a D?? chart of verbal quirks that includes things like "unsettling laughter", "sharp and snapping end to words and sentences" and "constant insults." I've never actually rolled on the chart but just having them in my head seems to have helped put them into use.

As someone with no ear for accents nor any voice training I have only very recently started doing anything like an accent, and it has mostly been (a) applying a very distinct vowel sound like an elongated "aaaah" in "mah pa always said..." and (b) letting my tongue rest in a different part of my mouth and having that affect words however it may. Neither of those create a full accent but they alter it enough to be distinctive.

fwiw I play in a game with multiple theater and voice-trained women and even they can have trouble staying in an accent for a long scene.

admanb on
    italianranma
    Gotta echo this is all great advice. I usually write down on a separate sheet of paper 10 male and female names along with their defining feature and a role play note (like “talks fast”) with a space under each line. I use these for any NPCs that I didn’t prepare otherwise, and fill in the details during play as I use them.

I also sometimes will involve the players for my prepared NPCs, especially if they’re the opposite sex (I don’t have a convincing female voice). I’ll hand the player a note that has a script and some other basic details like the drive and motivation along with some additional information and triggers for giving it. I reward following that script with some inspiration or system equivalent. I try to match the players with characters their own PCs wouldn’t typically interact with, and I only do this once or twice an arc with a really important supporting character, and then I’ll take over if required.

The best usage I had so far with this was making a warforged bodyguard in an Eberron campaign and initially giving it to one of my players who has a deep rumbling voice. He really made the character super memorable and I ended up working it in more with the story helping the PCs out a few times in their greatest times of need. I took over playing the character though once it had more interaction with the group since I didn’t want to lesson the player’s involvement with their own PC.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • RingoRingo Stardust, Golden Caught in a Devil's BargainRegistered User regular
    @jdarksun Any info available on that Mass Effect Genesys hack?

ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
    edited March 15
    So the guy in my campaign playing the runner is a young dude, around 23 or so. I'm 37, and the other players are around 30. This dude is just so excited for the android setting and he is that player you want that drives the rest of the group along. He's a great example of a new player/DM (He is running 5e for a group of our friends) that is exemplifying the best of the hobby.

Anyways, as a bit of a reward I found an old IBM toughbook that I've had lying around for a few years that I got for free from an old job that was getting rid of it. It's the perfect deck for hacking. I'm going to wipe the drive, install ubuntu and make it cyberpunk as heck and give it to him. When he goes on a run in the game I'll give him a USB drive with the "schematic" of the network he is hacking.

I'll also load up some hacking music, the PDFs of the books, and some other useful rules stuff. I'm pretty sure he'll be super stoked and I really look forward to giving it to him next time we game in that setting. I also need to think of some other cool things to hook up the rest of the players so everyone has a cool toy.

webguy20 on
    ElvenshaeitalianranmaRingoRhesus PositiveSteelhawkKadokenAnialosXagardavidsdurionsLord_Asmodeus
    When there's a real tense scene with the looming threat of violence, place a loaded Nerf gun on the table within easy reach. Don't say anything else about it.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    webguy20ElvenshaeRingo
    I do have some nerf pistols. I will totally bring those along.

Hahaha so it's not a toughbook. It's one of these. Even more early 2000s than I thought.

wex8h45oh9g2.jpg

Rhesus PositiveKadokenNipsHahnsoo1MahnmutAnialos
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    @jdarksun Any info available on that Mass Effect Genesys hack?
    @Ringo Singularity - https://www.reddit.com/r/genesysrpg/comments/7vjg0u/singularity_a_mass_effect_mod_for_genesys_rpg/

Played two or three sessions to test it out, went great. I think I still have the recording maybe? Was a lot of fun, felt immediately like ME.

Ringowebguy20
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Quantronic Dreamgirl Registered User regular
    edited March 15
    If you want an album of stuff to mood music your Android game which people haven't heard Neon Struct will do great:

Albino Bunny on
    Nipsitalianranmawebguy20AuralynxRingo
    Oh. Fuck. Yes.

• KadokenKadoken One batch, two batch, poyo and hIIIIII Registered User regular
    edited March 16
    I took out a shit ton of money and screamed, "MAN I SURE WANT SOME SUPER LEGAL STUFF," after all other attempts to find a black market had failed.

It just barely worked.

Kadoken on
    I am going to shoot this mystery with my pistol of deduction -Sherlock Holmes (Scott Benson)
    Mine TTRPG blog http://darkheresychainsofmalice.blogspot.com/
    Ringo
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Finding a black market is easy.

Look for the most readily available street drug. Find dealers. Make friends with one that will also find you other more restricted drugs after they call a guy. Then figure out how to meet that guy, and then just keep climbing that ladder till you can get the illegal thing you want.

edited March 16
    Sleep wrote: »

Look for the most readily available street drug. Find dealers. Make friends with one that will also find you other more restricted drugs after they call a guy. Then figure out how to meet that guy, and then just keep climbing that ladder till you can get the illegal thing you want.

I needed religious relics that are xenos artifacts. I can't be snorting saints bones like John Constantine and Santa.

Kadoken on
    I am going to shoot this mystery with my pistol of deduction -Sherlock Holmes (Scott Benson)
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

I needed religious relics that are xenos artifacts. I can't be snorting saints bones like John Constantine and Santa.

The reason you start with a common street drug is because well... they're easy as heck to find, and are readily lookin to talk to people. you might need to buy some drugs while you chat the guy up... you might need to do that a few times... this might take a little while, but they're the easiest section of the black market to interact with and can often eventually connect you to larger drug syndicate operations, and they know plenty of unifying services. If you're lookin for black market artifacts those folks absolutely need smugglers...luckily so do drugs.

edited March 16
    Kadoken wrote: »

The reason you start with a common street drug is because well... they're easy as heck to find, and are readily lookin to talk to people. you might need to buy some drugs while you chat the guy up... you might need to do that a few times... this might take a little while, but they're the easiest section of the black market to interact with and can often eventually connect you to larger drug syndicate operations, and they know plenty of unifying services. If you're lookin for black market artifacts those folks absolutely need smugglers...luckily so do drugs.

I was thinking of doing that but there were cops like everywhere and my character is built more for combat than telling five-oh that I'm gonna pay them $100 to fuck off.

edit: In Dark Heresy 2E I saved a witness from being executed by another party member. He was going to possibly tell the cops that I had destroyed his master (it was self-defense). To preface, meta-wise I have no issue with what he did in terms of it being a thing between us players and it made sense to do it (although I prefer the Ibram Gaunt/Caiaphas Cain school of 40k characters of trying to bring a tiny bit of light in crushing darkness and being a little more moral). Sir Chaucer is a relative golden boy and an idealistic knight from a feudal world in 40k though so he had to get rough with him. Also, I pummelled an Evil Dead corpse to the ground with a hammer which preceded all of this. The servant had not seen the evil dead bit.

I think it's going to be a sore spot in-character. We were joking around about him shivering and then he made it a thing and I turned a joke from him being cold physically and changed tone drastically to "*jovial* but thou art a cold one, Lazarus, *deadly serious* cold in form and spirit."

I am a big stwong man so I am very good at intimidating people. Often, we would all just mess up our rolls so then I would get in someone's face or punch a wall right next to them and get them to talk. I got plate gauntlets so my hand's not getting hurt.

I got to use the fact I killed the guy later. Luckily, the sore spot player brought the dude's teeth with him and when they asked how he died I just pointed to my hammer and said, "I just had it cleaned."

Kadoken on
    CalicaSleep
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited March 17
    There's a sort of rules-light gladiator management RP some guy I knew on another forum cooked up for the roleplaying game subforum there like 7 years ago, I'd love to play it again but I'm terrible at the math required to run it. Last one I remember playing was 5 years ago, was a fun game. I remember it sort of petered out as the GM had life stuff going on, but after a only tangentially related apocalypse scenario involving psychic cannibal butterfly people was not-totally averted.

(rules, if anyone is curious)
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CLgD9J_amGxniyghFifypOxRfJUO8bI0F87nAJFvJvw/edit?usp=sharing

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Lord_Asmodeus.gifLord_Asmodeus2.gifz1i30sg.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    It might be time to look into Exalted 3e again, but aside from the previous dev problems I worry about finding a group to play this with. I still had to explain how rage worked to my D&D 5e barbarian player after a year of gaming; what hope do I have for explaining Charm trees?

This friday I will be starting a game of The One Ring. This is the first time in fifteen years that I again have players that have actually read the rules. After so long I'm not sure I can run without being able to make rules up in the moment without anyone noticing, anymore.

Steam ID: Right here.
    ArcanisTheImpotentNipsElvenshae