As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How Does One Doge?

MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain?ChicagoRegistered User regular
edited May 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
I only use that meme because I'm actually looking at getting a Shiba Inu.

So how do you find a good breeder? What do I look for or what should I make sure I don't see occuring?

There's a local chain that's been recommended but then a search come up with them being busted for puppy milling so not sure what's the best route.

Any specific tips for a Shiba? I'm in The NW suburbs of Chicago, first dog.

MichaelLC on

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    If this is your first dog, I'd highly recommend going through a recognized breeder and getting an ex-showdog. You will absolutely pay more than a pet store but you can be pretty confident there are no puppy mill shenanigans going on. Showdog breeders are always looking to sell off the dogs that don't take to the show environment (or don't win enough medals) so you can relatively easily get a healthy, socialized, 1-2 year old of the exact breed you want. This worked out great for me and others in my family.

Pros:
    • Good health and good genetics. They're not allowed in shows otherwise.
    • Socialized around people and other dogs.
    • Already housebroken and probably crate-trained, likely knows some basic commands.
    • First year of vet bills, shots, etc already handled by somebody else.
    • You don't have to deal with the tiny messy puppy phase.

Cons:
    • You don't get the tiny adorable puppy phase either.
    • You might still have to pay to get the dog fixed. Most breeders make this a requirement. Some will do it for you.
    • The process can be involved. The breeder is also interviewing you (or at least, the good ones should be). You might have to make 2 or more trips there and prepare paperwork (like agreement from your landlord that you can keep a dog on the premises).
    • Can be expensive.

Check out the breed clubs through American Kennel Club and start contacting breeders in your area. Even if they don't have any available they might put you in touch with someone who does. Here's one club with a registry: http://www.shibas.org/breeders.html

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I second the idea of getting an adult dog for your first dog ever.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The option also exists if you're not interested in showing the dog or trying to breed you can just go to a shelter and find a dog with the physical traits you want.

Purebred animals have serious health issues and are expensive. Plenty of borderline free dogs at shelters. Whatever you decide I recommend seeing about some pet insurance.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Thanks!

Hadn't thought about an adult dog. That might be a good idea, especially with a tougher dog like a shiba.

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Are you raising the dog by yourself? Do you work away from home? Then you definitely should not get a puppy. Their bladders are small and undeveloped so they need to go every three to four hours. Try and imagine handling that on your own. Adult dogs are definitely the way to go if you're on your own.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    This is your first dog? I recommend against both going to a breeder and getting a Shiba.

Shibas are pretty aloof as far as dogs go. Some say they're more like cats than they are dogs. They also have a lot of energy so you'll need to walk/exercise them regularly, at least once a day. (That goes for most dogs. Make sure you can give your dog at least one walk every day.)

Definitely get an adult dog (1 yr or more) unless you're able to potty train them and take them out to pee every couple hours. Older dogs are also less prone to boredom and associated destructive behavior.

I have no advice specifically on how to choose a good breeder, although you'll probably be unable to get an adult dog from a breeder.

Seriously, just go to the pound. You'll get a nice mixed breed (which tend to be healthier dogs) of whatever size and shape you're looking for who needs a home for cheap.

Are you in an apartment or house? Do you have a fenced yard or a dog park nearby?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    We're in a house, decent yard that will need to be fenced regardless of type of dog we get.

Wife and myself with 6yr old daughter. Daughter is one who really wants a dog, I've always been in love with Shibas.

Ha, yeah I know about their temperament, or at least I've read a lot about it. Regarding the pound vs. breeder or older dog, I'm just worried about what sort of bad habits/behaviors they may have picked up. Especially with a Shiba who is already more difficult.

Definitely not set on one way, I just want as few surprises as possible.

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Training your first dog from scratch is fraught with difficulties and far harder that shopping around for a quality breeder who's already done the hard work.

Having said that we got our first as a pup, and though she's great now (10 yrs old) we made a hell of a lot of mistakes early on.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I don't know Shibas very well, but are they good with kids? Aloof temperament maybe doesn't seem great for a six year old to love and play with.

If the dog is for your daughter too perhaps consider a mutt with a good temperament (the animal shelter can help you figure which one is a good fit) or something like a retriever /lab.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Shibas are basically Terriers that shed.

They
    • Have Massive destructive tendencies when bored or left alone too much
    • Excessive suspiciousness when not socialized enough
    • Can have Aggression issues toward other dogs and cats -- strong chasing instincts (Means lots of socialization early)
    • Have Containment difficulties and like trying to escape
    • Like Running away, oblivious to your calls, when an interesting sight or scent catches his attention
    • Strong-willed mind of his own, requires a confident owner who can take charge
    • Shed A lot

On the positive note. If you are looking for a dog whose
    • Is conveniently-sized, sturdy, and strong
    • Has a wolf-like (spitz) appearance, with prick ears, foxy face, thick coat, and curled tail
    • Is energetic, bold, and spirited -- not a lapdog
    • Is smart and clever
    • Moves swiftly with light-footed grace

I've had dogs all my life and outside of give them basic and advanced dog training and going for walks/exercise/dog parks, etc so my opinion is really what you make for it. A Shiba is gonna challenge you, especially as a first dog owner. I'd google up more about temperament of the dog and make sure it's compatible for you and your family. What's a red flag to me on the spot is that you have a six year old. Six year olds usually want a dog that they can be cuddle buddies with, braid its hair, pull their ears, etc. A Shiba is not gonna tolerate that behavior from a child and definitely won't respect your child. The other red flag is your backyard and that you still need to gate it up to secure the dog. This tells me hes probably going to escape multiple times before you become 100% aware of the various ways dogs can and will escape your yard. (Though I'd also tether your dog in this case as well. nothing wrong with a fail safe).

Overall, don't me discourage you if you really want a Shiba. I don't think any of us should be telling you what you should/should not buy. I'd rather help you identify friction points of owning the dog now rather than months later when you're family is frustrated with the dog. Keep us updated OP with what you do.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Shiba Inu are also prone to being geneticly disposed towards toward eye problems (ranging from minor to deabilitating), patellar luxations (bad knees) and hip dysplasia (bad hips. Really common problem among overbred mid and large sized dogs).

Not the healthiest dogbreed, but still miles ahead of breeds like golden retriever or german shepherd.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Also, watch some videos of the infamous 'shiba scream'. Its a pretty horrifying sound. Just another possible point of friction with the breed.

If thats something you can live with along with all the advice above about Shibas re:temperment, Shibas can be great/fucking adorbs.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Regarding the pound vs. breeder or older dog, I'm just worried about what sort of bad habits/behaviors they may have picked up.

Wherever you decide to get a dog from, bring your daughter with you to meet the dogs before choosing one. You need to know how it will act around her. Spending 5-10 minutes with a dog in its cage at the pound or at the breeder's house or wherever will reveal a lot about the dog's temperament and how it would behave with your family in your house.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Shibas are moderate-to-difficult breeds. I've raised labs, border collies, shibas, boxers, and pit bulls and the only dog more stubborn and requiring a stronger owner than the shiba was the pit bull.

I can't say I'm 100% for you having a shiba with a young child that age, just like I wouldn't highly recommend a pit.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Also, watch some videos of the infamous 'shiba scream'. Its a pretty horrifying sound. Just another possible point of friction with the breed.

If thats something you can live with along with all the advice above about Shibas re:temperment, Shibas can be great/fucking adorbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4JOxB6SJSI

Oh jeez. That's hilarious! (Starts at 4:20)

• Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Be very careful with Shiba's, they are one of the closest genetic relatives to wolves: http://www.shibamac.com/others/national-geographic-shiba-inu-is-most-wolflike/

You have to train them well and train them early, or else you are going to end up with a dog that is destructive, asocial and unfriendly, territorial, out of control predator instincts or a combination of all of those listed. Knew of a family that had a shiba as a puppy, they didn't bother to train it properly and it ended up mauling the mom when she tried to play with it.

• Options
    Syzygy wrote: »
    Be very careful with Shiba's, they are one of the closest genetic relatives to wolves: http://www.shibamac.com/others/national-geographic-shiba-inu-is-most-wolflike/

You have to train them well and train them early, or else you are going to end up with a dog that is destructive, asocial and unfriendly, territorial, out of control predator instincts or a combination of all of those listed. Knew of a family that had a shiba as a puppy, they didn't bother to train it properly and it ended up mauling the mom when she tried to play with it.

But totes adorb!

Thank you, but I think you could substitute "[any breed] was poorly trained, acts aggressive."

We'll see, I'm mostly against getting a little rat dog and while a Shiba would be my pick there may be some options in between.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Syzygy wrote: »

But totes adorb!

Thank you, but I think you could substitute "[any breed] was poorly trained, acts aggressive."

We'll see, I'm mostly against getting a little rat dog and while a Shiba would be my pick there may be some options in between.

Sure any dog, when poorly trained, can be a bad dog. But there are breeds that are easier to train and breeds that are tougher to train. And everything I've read puts shibas on the far end of the "Tougher to train" spectrum.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    OP it is definitely important to understand that different breeds have different temperaments, energy levels, and intelligence. There's always exceptions but there's a world of difference between training a terrier, a retriever, or a Corgi.

A shiba will likely take a good deal more time and attention to train properly. Which is fine if you're up for it but it's no small feat to train and keep a high energy breed.

Quid on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I say go to a shelter. They'll let you play with and meet a few dogs to see how you and they react to each other. And you might surprise yourself with what you end up with.

We went in looking for a female chocolate lab because my wife grew up with them. We ended up with a male goof butt Heinz 57 shepard lab bone head combo because the instant we saw him we just knew he was ours.

So I recommend taking a few for a test play.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2017
    My buddy had some show shibas. They were well trained, socialized dogs but I think in the like 5 or six years I knew them, one of them let me pet her all of once.

In contrast I had an Akita, who are also notoriously hard to train, and he was a wonderful dog except he could not be off leash. He was a lovable goof, but I started with him as a puppy when I was 13. Training is all about consistency, which means everyone, including your 6 year old, needs to be on the program. With some dogs it may be less impactful to have one person who's not totally in sync with training. With a hard to manage breed, they'll be smart enough to just seek out the human that gives them things without sitting, or feeds them scraps, or drops things when they are barked at and scared.

Prey instincts might also mean that if your six year old would run from an aggression, it could escalate. Heavily consider this before you choose. and test drive the relationship with some meetups.

I'd advocate searching shelters for a mix that fits your aesthetics.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    As a dog owner myself, I just want to echo the sentiment already expressed here. If you are a first time dog owner, I strongly recommend you NOT get a pure-bred of any kind.

Pure bred dogs are:
    - more expensive by an order of magnitude
    - bred for looks, not temperment or behaviour
    - often inbred
    - prone to genetic disorders and other diseases, which means crazy vet bills

What should be most important to you is how a dog fits your lifestyle and home conditions. Looks should be secondary to this.

The most important considerations are:
    - size
    - temperament around other people (especially children)
    - intelligence
    - level of energy
    - maintenance (how often do they need to go outside? How much do they shed?)

I understand that you like the way Shibas look, but dogs are more than just their faces. Go to a shelter with your family and see what is available. You and your child will get to interact with the dogs directly, which is the best way to make an informed decision when choosing a new family member. If it so happens that the shelter has a Shiba mix there as well, then great! Meet the dog, play with it and see how it gets along with you and your family. There is no reliable way to know if a breeder you haven't met is reputable, nor if a dog will get along with your family until you meet it.

Good luck!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Just going to throw in there along with some others about the idea that Shiba may not be the best breed choice for your situation.

I say it just because you have a kid that wants the dog. That kid probably will want to cuddle the dog. A Shiba is not a breed that you go for looking for cuddles. Sure there are exceptions to every rule. But why gamble with odds very much not in your favor?

I have a Pittie and a Japanese Akita. Japanese Akitas are similar to Shiba's just bigger and slightly less on the aloof side.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    If you can find them where you live, scenthounds (beagles, harriers, foxhounds, and coonhounds) usually make good pets. They are generally extremely tolerant of children since they have to be family dogs when not hunting. Typically very healthy dogs as well. They can be stubborn, and more importantly, quite loud, so probably not the best apartment dogs or compact neighborhood dogs.

The beagle my brother got after he got back from Iraq is still my favorite dog. A koala in the rain, so to speak. As long as she gets food and the occasional pat on the head, she doesn't care what happens day to day.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    My first dog was a street rescue mutt. There was pinscher, dachshund, and so much else in that mix.

He was the best. Playful, a bit fiesty, never broke the skin on his play bites. Just a charming small mutt.

My parent's current dog is an Aussie Terrier mill rescue. She's a cuddly bitchy princess and just smart enough to get into really stupid situations. But she's loving and all about laps.

Neither of them were breeds I ever envisioned having around when I thought about getting a dog, but we saw them at the shelter and we met them and it clicked.

So what I'm saying is: I know that Shibas look awesome. But looks mean nothing if the dog is a shithead who doesn't like everyone in the house. Look for size and temperament before you look for breed, and make sure you give mutts a chance.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky