As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

overwatch: rip battle mercy august 2017 - august 2017

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    ameybes wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    I think players who use POTG or medals as their primary or sole measure of good performance get confused that this doesn't directly relate to wins and lash out at their perceived inferiors.

I mean...

medals absolutely directly relate to wins.
    Mmmm I can't agree there.

They are useful indicators, but thinking you got your OK medals and you're done is a great way to forge a warped perspective on your actual contribution to winning/team play.

I don't think you read my post at all

• ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I don't think you read my post at all
    Yeah now see that was going to be my reply to you just now.

So on a Payload map, which involves moving a car from A to B in X time as the sole win/loss condition, then a stat like 'damage done' is clearly a secondary statistic that isn't directly related to the win.

The 'Objective Time' one is closer because it at least involves engagement with the ultimate measure of win/loss, but its still not quite right.

All medals are very much incomplete and indirect measures of your contribution to the win.

ameybes on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Alternatively, a gold medal means you won.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Alternatively, a gold medal means you won.
    Not a round/game of Overwatch it doesn't

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So I played the new map
    Who thought this was a good idea?
    And I thought I heard someone banging on the doors near the gym
    and the list of the missing is interesting

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I think that was the joke being made

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I think that was the joke being made
    Sorry, it was too similar in nature to the actual disagreement that I didn't catch it as an intentional joke

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I cannot wait until I make rank 25 so that I actually understand what y'all are talking about

At the point that i'm currently at it feels like random luck as to if I win or lose a match because even if I'm playing well above my average other players absolutely suck at communicating what the fuck is going on

I swear god the other night I switched over to mgsV just because I had a 16-year-old playing reaper cussing in my ear about how we needed a third healer because two healers and a solider 76 weren't doing enough (in so many words) to keep the defense going

For the record, I was playing torbjörn and got a card for most eliminations at the end of the match

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    On the other hand, the amount of people trying to argue in game that doing damage to the enemy team is purely detrimental is astounding

oh you've done 30,000 damage this game? thanks for feeding their support ults you idiot

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Fuck I think I'm a dumbass

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Kharnor wrote: »
    On the other hand, the amount of people trying to argue in game that doing damage to the enemy team is purely detrimental is astounding

oh you've done 30,000 damage this game? thanks for feeding their support ults you idiot

I mean, if you're gold damage but no medal for kills, maybe? Junkrats for example can do a lot of damage, but if you're not finishing your kills and they're getting healed, then that would be purely feeding their support ults.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    we lost round 1 on Oasis yesterday and one dude was all - "I'm so fucking sick of filling for r----ds"

like, full on tilting the rest of the team even though it was only ROUND 1 that we lost, and not even by very much

but whatever I switch from Tracer to Mercy so that we can all swap classes around, try something different, etc

I then get told later on that I'm a "trash mercy" cuz I haven't used my res at all

I lose it, call him a child for tilting the team after *round 1* on a KotH map, and on top of that note that the reason is we keep dying one at a time with no tempo and no picks and FUCK YOU YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T PLAY SUPPORT SO STFU and block him

I occasionally hear the rest of the team responding to him in chat or /t, most of it bad (one of the solo queues on the team was like "every time you talk I hear the voice of someone whose parents didn't love him enough")

we (predictably) lose and I type into /m "watch this, [name] is gonna complain about our team even though he was the one who straight up tilted the rest of us with his shitty attitude"

disappointingly(?), he leaves the game without another word that I can hear or see and my team confirms he didn't say anything before leaving

so yeah, some folks are just shitheels who think they can play as all 24 heroes and know everything about what's happening on the map at all times

I especially dislike it when people who instalock DPS tell healers how to heal... it's like, nope, if you think you can do this better than me, you're more than welcome to, cuz I wanna win, but you're not going to cuz you don't actually know what you're talking about so please GTFO of my face plz and ty

My favorite is when I'm holding down the point entirely by myself as Lucio or Zen and the Reaper/Widow/Genji spams "Need healing!" from a bunker in an undisclosed location.

My more recent hatorite is when I'm OBVIOUSLY GETTING FOCUSSED DOWN BY THIS WINSTON/GENJI/TRACER but then everyone around me is spamming "Need healing!" INSTEAD OF SHOOTING THE FUCKING WINSTON/GENJI/TRACER.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I think players who use POTG or medals as their primary or sole measure of good performance get confused that this doesn't directly relate to wins and lash out at their perceived inferiors.

I mean...

They are useful indicators, but thinking you got your OK medals and you're done is a great way to forge a warped perspective on your actual contribution to winning/team play.

We had an Orisa once who did not play as a tank; she would basically pop her shield against a wall or corner and fire indiscriminately at the other team. The Orisa brags about having silver elims and obj kills throughout the first couple of rounds. When it came time to discuss if we should switch things up, the Orisa basically said "I have silver elims and obj kills and obj time go fuck yourselves" and we were all like yeah but we're still losing and it's not cuz of elims it's because you're not playing as a tank when we need a tank PLUS YOUR STUPID BULLETS TAG EVERYTHING SO OF COURSE YOU HAVE HIGH ELIMS BUT NVM THAT YOU KEEP SHOOTING AT ZARYA BUBBLES OMFGGGGGGG CAPSLOCK

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    we lost round 1 on Oasis yesterday and one dude was all - "I'm so fucking sick of filling for r----ds"

like, full on tilting the rest of the team even though it was only ROUND 1 that we lost, and not even by very much

but whatever I switch from Tracer to Mercy so that we can all swap classes around, try something different, etc

I then get told later on that I'm a "trash mercy" cuz I haven't used my res at all

I lose it, call him a child for tilting the team after *round 1* on a KotH map, and on top of that note that the reason is we keep dying one at a time with no tempo and no picks and FUCK YOU YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T PLAY SUPPORT SO STFU and block him

I occasionally hear the rest of the team responding to him in chat or /t, most of it bad (one of the solo queues on the team was like "every time you talk I hear the voice of someone whose parents didn't love him enough")

we (predictably) lose and I type into /m "watch this, [name] is gonna complain about our team even though he was the one who straight up tilted the rest of us with his shitty attitude"

disappointingly(?), he leaves the game without another word that I can hear or see and my team confirms he didn't say anything before leaving

so yeah, some folks are just shitheels who think they can play as all 24 heroes and know everything about what's happening on the map at all times

I especially dislike it when people who instalock DPS tell healers how to heal... it's like, nope, if you think you can do this better than me, you're more than welcome to, cuz I wanna win, but you're not going to cuz you don't actually know what you're talking about so please GTFO of my face plz and ty

My favorite is when I'm holding down the point entirely by myself as Lucio or Zen and the Reaper/Widow/Genji spams "Need healing!" from a bunker in an undisclosed location.

My more recent hatorite is when I'm OBVIOUSLY GETTING FOCUSSED DOWN BY THIS WINSTON/GENJI/TRACER but then everyone around me is spamming "Need healing!" INSTEAD OF SHOOTING THE FUCKING WINSTON/GENJI/TRACER.

For me it's the "I need healing" right after I respawn.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

I mean...

I definitely feel like my team let me down when I have gold medals in 4 or 5 categories.

Edit. I've been realizing lately just how little I've been using D.Va's Defense Martix and how bad a thing that is, though.

That right click is bananas-good.

It does sucks when you're running ahead of a group of 3-4 teammates, you run into the other team, DM all their shit, then immediately get blowed up because sometime within the last 6-10 seconds everyone stopped following you for some unfathomable reason.

sarukun on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

I mean...

I definitely feel like my team let me down when I have gold medals in 4 or 5 categories.

Edit. I've been realizing lately just how little I've been using D.Va's Defense Martix and how bad a thing that is, though.

It does sucks when you're running ahead of a group of 3-4 teammates, you run into the other team, DM all their shit, then immediately get blowed up because sometime within the last 6-10 seconds everyone stopped following you for some unfathomable reason.

I really like the idea of playing tank, but I just cannot do it in pub groups.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Are we getting summer games skins again this summer? I recall them saying last year it would be a recurring event, not necessarily tied to the Olympics.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    We should be, it would be a heck of a promise to break

2x39jD4.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Are we getting summer games skins again this summer? I recall them saying last year it would be a recurring event, not necessarily tied to the Olympics.

some data mining has suggested yes

looks like Lucioball is also coming back

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

the only time I wish I could text chat on console is when I'm dead and someone asks for healing

if you hit the heal macro as a dead healer it should say, "I'm dead, idiots"

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

I mean...

You shouldn't be in front as D.Va, anyway. She's kind of the opposite of Reinhardt where she wants to be behind her allies so she can see who needs protection.

• WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    I got the nicest thank you from a Tobjorn yesterday. I was Zarya and the torb could not get his turret up due to Lucio spam so i wandered over and body blocked him for a few seconds until the turret was up. It was terrible placement and went down within 30 seconds but it felt good to help that tiny Swede.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular

the only time I wish I could text chat on console is when I'm dead and someone asks for healing

if you hit the heal macro as a dead healer it should say, "I'm dead, idiots"

"Okay, meet me in the spawn room. I'll wait."

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    managed to win two pick up comp matches in a row, and I feel like that's pushing my luck so I should take a break now?
    Also frustrating that no-one was willing to play tank or healer so I was stuck in rein and mercy instead of my <3 pharah.

Psykoma on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I had a game this morning where a team mate asked someone to leave because they we too low a level. The player's response was awesome.

"Did people ask you to leave games when you were level 54?"

To which I responded, "Who hurt you? Who did this to you?"

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have up and left games because I was nice enough to change to a healer and they change to the character I was playing
    I have left games because I could not handle playing a healer in that group
    I really should stop playing the game as it's really unfun anymore for me

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    dude you've been saying that since *googles the release date of overwatch*

EzUAYcn.png
  • SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Had a guy trying to derank last night that I was ok with shockingly enough. Right as the match was starting, he said what he was trying to do, waited for the doors to open and then left and the match was cancelled. Intentionally deranking is usually a shitty practice but this was a rare instance where it turned out fine.

SixshotStriker on
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Had a guy trying to derank last night that I was ok with shockingly enough. Right as the match was starting, he said what he was trying to do, waited for the doors to open and then left and the match was cancelled. Intentionally deranking is usually a shitty practice but this was a rare instance where it turned out fine.

But all that does is get you banned from comp long before any significant deranking. What a fucking moron.

ZD98Zka.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Was there a patch for another game or something? Why is there such a long queue on a monday afternoon?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Was there a patch for another game or something? Why is there such a long queue on a monday afternoon?

The Arcade boxes just reset.

Edit, assuming you mean a queue to get into the game, not a queue for a game.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »

But all that does is get you banned from comp long before any significant deranking. What a fucking moron.

All it cost me was a few more minutes to search for another game, so if that's how he wants to do it, then I'm ok with it.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »

The Arcade boxes just reset.

Edit, assuming you mean a queue to get into the game, not a queue for a game.

Queued for just logging into battlenet. Was just under 15 minutes

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I got the nicest thank you from a Tobjorn yesterday. I was Zarya and the torb could not get his turret up due to Lucio spam so i wandered over and body blocked him for a few seconds until the turret was up. It was terrible placement and went down within 30 seconds but it felt good to help that tiny Swede.

Body blocking is an underappreciated skill, imo. I've gone and fatted in front of bastions and anas before while they're trying to heal themselves back up.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Jesus quickplay stresses me the hell out. No one takes it seriously so it just feels like a waste of time.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

I mean...

You shouldn't be in front as D.Va, anyway. She's kind of the opposite of Reinhardt where she wants to be behind her allies so she can see who needs protection.

I would be delighted to babysit the back line, but I am 60% of the time the only tank on the map.

Edit: I typically switch over to Winston when I can't get the job done as D.va in these situations, for the record.

sarukun on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the most frustrating aspect of QP for me now is that the practice is no longer valuable unless I'm in a 3-6 man group

if I solo QP... i can barely obtain any valuable information about whether or not my tactics are working

Einzel wrote: »
    Jesus quickplay stresses me the hell out. No one takes it seriously so it just feels like a waste of time.

I'm kind of the opposite. Like, I generally laugh when people start getting frustrated over voice or team chat. Especially since those are the people who are blaming everyone else for losing and simultaneously the least effective member of the team. These instances are actually less frequent than getting an okay to good group, but entertaining to me. I don't really play competitive ever, because I'm not an overly competitive person. I like to win, I play to the best of my somewhat questionable ability, but every loss I learn something new.

And yes, it is a waste of time. But I am having a blast wasting it.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

I mean...

I would be delighted to babysit the back line, but I am 60% of the time the only tank on the map.

Edit: I typically switch over to Winston when I can't get the job done as D.va in these situations, for the record.

D.Va is sort of like Zarya, because of the way their damage mitigation works they should sometimes be moving up to bodyblock, but also frequently taking a step back to have vision on DPS. If you're behind a friendly soldier for instance, you can defend him from almost all attacks, but if you're in front of him you can only defend him from attacks coming from one direction.

Sometimes you'll want to block all attacks from an enemy, like a nano'd soldier, so you can dive up in front and DM that target. Other times you want to be blocking shots coming at a friendly, like your own soldier getting nano'd, in which case you want to be behind him, so they're 360 degrees covered by DM. That's different than like Rein or Orisa or even Winston, who just want to get shields between the friendlies and the baddies.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    yeah, I'm getting a little better at not getting frustrated, even in competitive. helps that if a round is going to go badly, I generally know pretty quickly and can adjust my expectations accordingly, and in close matches, I'm generally actually having fun and appreciating when anyone makes a good play, even if it's someone on the other team managing a quadruple kill

like, I generally know where my skill level's at, and as long as people are actually playing the game, I'm not gonna get as bothered anymore. except in the 1 on 1 mode, where I know that everything bad that happens is my fault, and then it's safe to yell at the one responsible

This discussion has been closed.