As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tipping The Police

WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So recently I've seen a picture of a friend of a friend holding a gun. Since he's only 15 there is no way (in Canada) that it can be legally registered. Apparently he owns plenty of other weapons as well. He attends my school and is into the whole drug community (which I don't want to say encourages violence or anything, but he in particular seems to get into a lot of fights.)

Now, given how common school shootings seem nowadays, I'd really like to see this situation dealt with. Naturally I dont intend to take on someone with a gun and vast array of other banned weapons by myself, alas I've decided the most appropriate action is likely to inform the police. My local police force (London, ON) has a tips email address, as well as a phone number.

Ideally I'd like to be completely anonymous, as well as use the email so that I may provide them with the image. Bassically what I'm asking is what you'd do. I REALLY don't want to be called up to testify or have any communication with the police other than this one email.

Right now I'm thinking make a fake email, go to the public library and send it from there (the picture is on a facebook account.) Any other suggestions on how to do this? Do you think if I make it clear in the email that I do not want to be contacted and want to remain anonymous that they'd respect my wishes?

Wezoin on

• Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wezoin wrote: »
    So recently I've seen a picture of a friend of a friend holding a gun. Since he's only 15 there is no way (in Canada) that it can be legally registered. Apparently he owns plenty of other weapons as well. He attends my school and is into the whole drug community (which I don't want to say encourages violence or anything, but he in particular seems to get into a lot of fights.)

Now, given how common school shootings seem nowadays, I'd really like to see this situation dealt with. Naturally I dont intend to take on someone with a gun and vast array of other banned weapons by myself, alas I've decided the most appropriate action is likely to inform the police. My local police force (London, ON) has a tips email address, as well as a phone number.

Ideally I'd like to be completely anonymous, as well as use the email so that I may provide them with the image. Bassically what I'm asking is what you'd do. I REALLY don't want to be called up to testify or have any communication with the police other than this one email.

Right now I'm thinking make a fake email, go to the public library and send it from there (the picture is on a facebook account.) Any other suggestions on how to do this? Do you think if I make it clear in the email that I do not want to be contacted and want to remain anonymous that they'd respect my wishes?

Either what you are suggesting, or print it out and put it in snail mail to the station. And yes, they would respect your wishes. You can't be made to testify if you don't want to.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You're doing the right thing by reporting this.

You won't have any trouble using any of the methods you listed. It's typically not in the police's interest to track down and hound people using anonymous tip methods.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Use Crimestoppers (1-800-222-8477). Guaranteed anonymity, and they usually get stuff done, especially considering this situation. I lived in London for a while, and can't remember if London had a local division of Crimestoppers or not, but that number above is the generic one that will get the info to where it needs to go. They've solved hundreds of crimes through Crimestoppers, and the anonymous tips were always completely respected.

You're smart for wanting to do something about this; people can argue about the legality of guns and whatnot, but from the sounds of this circumstance, no good can come from this person owning firearms. Worst case scenario, the police check up on it and discover the kid's just playing with firearms registered to his parents. Not much they could do, but no harm no foul. Best case scenario, you've just prevented a whole lot of trouble in the future.

Edit: I just remembered, they do offer cash rewards for submitted tips leading to arrests and whatnot, so on top of your much clearer conscience and assistance to the community, you're up a few bucks to do with as you please.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Great post, Cycophant. Sounds like Crimestoppers is an excellent route to go.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey OP, think you can give us an update if anything goes down that involves you? This is interesting.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »
    Hey OP, think you can give us an update if anything goes down that involves you? This is interesting.

I'm not sure that would be wise for legal reasons. This isn't the kind of thing you want to freely discuss without a lawyer giving you the go ahead.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You are sure this is a real real gun? I know it sounds kind of stupid. Once I had my buddies myspace profile open, and he is posing with some VERY realistic Air-Soft rifles. My mom kind of saw those and gasped.

You're doing the right thing by caring, that's for sure. The best of luck to you man.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »

I'm not sure that would be wise for legal reasons. This isn't the kind of thing you want to freely discuss without a lawyer giving you the go ahead.

Actually this is absolutely a terrible idea. Never, ever discuss an ongoing legal matter that involves you or of which you have access to privileged information in a public forum.

And yes, report him. You can use crime stoppers, or just go to the cops and request anonymity. The cops rely on tips to such an extent as that they would not consider giving up your identity except for under the most dire circumstances.

And if it turns out to be a fake gun or whatever that's fine. The police will go and figure out what the reality of the situation is.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    unless he has to testify in a closed trial or something, it's not a problem if he says they arrested someone

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't think you're even likely to be called to testify. All you know is that there's a photo of him with a gun so there's not much evidence that could be cleaned from your testimony beyond what the police can submit to the court themselves.

OTOH, your friend may ask you to be a character witness. Oh boy would that be awkward.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Alright, well, thanks guys. Yes there is a local branch of crime stoppers here. Unfortunately, however, they dont have an e-mail so I can't quite get the whole complete anonymity thing as providing them with the picture would be impossible short of going in person or faxing them from an identifiable machine. I'm not interested in getting the money from them or anything, that just seems wrong, so I think I'm going to go straight through the police tip email address.

And yeah, I was planning on at least saying "Oh I had to give a testimony" or whatever without giving out any details as to the specific case (If there's something wrong with this, please inform me)

Also, character witness for who? I dont even REALLY know this guy, apart from seeing him in a few fights at school and the facebook profile.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fax it from a kinkos or something.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The crimestoppers thing is a method the police use so people will call in tips and not worry about getting ratted out or testifying in court. Any police station will do the same thing for you in person. If you explain that you don't want to be identified, or go to court. They'll understand.

They don't use these types of tips to go running into someones house and arrest them, they can't. They use them to direct their investigation to someone of interest. They gather evidence that they *can* use in court, and then work from there. The only mention of you will be at the beginning of the trial when the detective on the stand says "On May 1st we were given a tip that the defendent might have a large quantity of guns..."
    After that it's up to them to prove their case.

Go into your local division, bring the picture with the guys name and any info you know about him, full name address, DOB. If you write this all down in advance, you'll reduce the amount of time you'll need to spend at the station, you can just hand them the picture and the info. When you explain what's going on, they'll ask you for your name. Tell them that you don't want your name used, and that you don't want to testify. They might try to convince you otherwise, but stand your ground and they should be nice about it (they're just trying to make their jobs easier).

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    Actually this is absolutely a terrible idea. Never, ever discuss an ongoing legal matter that involves you or of which you have access to privileged information in a public forum.

In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest deleting this thread as soon as he gets the info he needs, if he really wants to stay anonymous.

Doc on
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    pheezer FD wrote: »

In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest deleting this thread as soon as he gets the info he needs, if he really wants to stay anonymous.

Agreed. While this may pan out to nothing, the principle advice being asked for is of a serious nature and I would support deleting this thread once the proper advice is dispensed.

And as the son of a cop, I can say with confidence that you can definitely contact the police, even in person, and tell them you wish to remain anonymous, and they will respect your wishes, and NOT because they are decent people (although that may be the case), but because they legally cannot.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are you sure its a real gun, and not airsoft?

Let play a little game
    Here is gun A
    glock17xb5.jpg

Here is gun B
    tglkvw2.jpg

The Answer:
    Gun A is the real one

Airsoft guns are designed, generally, to be as identical as possible, and any idiot can remove an orange barrel flash if he wants. Even the internal parts like magazine wells, and barrels, are designed to look as close to the real thing as they can manage. The same kind of 15 year old idiot who would take photos of himself with an illegal gun, is the exact same kind of 15 year old idiot who would take photos of himself with an airsoft, which he is playing off as a real, albeit illegal, gun.

If you have good reason to believe its a real gun, other than just one photo, go for it. Really, even if it is just one photo, it may not be a bad idea to still report it. Good luck with your situation

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, like I said earlier in the topic, my friend has a small salvo of very real looking airsoft rifles and if I didn't know they were real I'd probably shit my pants. These fuckers look like the real deal.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm reminded of another thread sort of like this awhile ago where we recommended that the guy go to the police and it did end up being a fake gun (and fake drugs). I'd still recommend it in this case though.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    On a side note, in Canada, replica weapons are also illegal. They have to be clearly identifiable as fakes, or the threat they can generate is still considered harmful. Along the lines of pointing an unloaded gun.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    _X__X_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is he holding a hand gun or a rifle/shotgun? In Canada to have a rifle registered under your name you need to be 18 I go believe and have a firearms license. To hold a gun and shoot one though you only have to be 12 with a Minors Permit. If it is a hand gun however then being 15 would mean that it isn't registered.

_X_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's a handgun. I don't know much about guns but from the looks of it it's similar to the one used in CangoFett's "game"

Tommorow I'ma go down to the library and register for a fake hotmail account and just sent it in to the tips email.

Wezoin on