As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Hard Drive to give a kid?

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
I have a Godson, turns 12 in July. I won't be able to celebrate it with him, as in June he moves to Canada permanently. As this has cut short my opportunity to corrupt him with TV shows and movies, I am currently assembling a list of stuff to stick on a hard drive (music and podcasts and stuff like that too) so he can watch them on his laptop. I estimate I'll need at least 1.5TB, so I'm going to play it safe and get a 2TB portable hard drive to give him.

So, questions: What's a good durable hard drive that will be super reliable and hopefully can take a few bumps, and how easy is it to bring a hard drive through an airport? Is that something I should watch out for?

Also also, I was thinking of putting stuff he might not be ready for in a passworded zip file or something and giving him the password when he turns 15 or something. Bad idea?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Would it not be better to use something like plex so you could add more for him to see over time?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Most "slim" usb drives can take a good drop, because they're pretty light. SSDs are more robust, and could take a good throw, but are more costly. I use a lot of external drives for stuff, but more as an archive, not for regular heavy use, so no recommendation on a brand.

Make sure it's at least USB 3 since at 1.5tb I assume you're dealing with high bitrate files. (And copying 1.5tb over usb 2 sounds like a fun afternoon..)

Stay away from those ultra small thumbdrives. My sandisk 128gb USB 3 overheats in about 30 seconds, because there's nowhere for the heat to even go, and the transfer rate plummets.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    also I couldn't tell you how many thumb drives i have lost

camo_sig.png