As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movie Thread.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »

Going to air in theaters before Coco starts

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/858103-olafs-frozen-adventure-trailer-returns-to-the-world-of-frozen#PsFtqqFrccKFZ6Uw.99 4 songs, 21 minutes long

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »
    They remade a movie that wasn't very good to begin with and judging by that trailer this one may be worse.

Good job Hollywood. Bravo!

I guess this could be a spoiler, but
    I'm pretty sure it's actually a sequel.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I remember my mother was so excited for the original and so disappointed when she saw it. She was a big fan of Kiefer back in the day.

Subject change: Movies with Mikey is officially on the ballot for Emmy nominations! It doesn't mean he's actually up for an Emmy, but MwM is on the ballot for Information Series or Special. Good stuff! He actually recently announced he had to leave Gearbox due to his health issues, so MwM is now his full-time gig via Patreon.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    They remade a movie that wasn't very good to begin with and judging by that trailer this one may be worse.

Correct!
    Kiefer's back

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Flatliners was fucking great! I'm pumped for the sequel.

• Options
    I'll always support Ellen Page

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular

This changes things for me. Now I'm slightly interested in it. Wish the trailer made me feel better about it though.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I watched Kickboxer: Vengeance. I thought that it would have to be an ok genre movie, because it has Bautista and JCVD in it. This was a faulty hypothesis. The fighting isn't bad (and JCVD can still really pull that stuff off) but the writing is bad even by the standards of the genre, and some of the acting is atrocious.

• Options
    the final fight scene
    is a full half hour long, and there's no back and forth. It's Bautista kicking seven shades of shit out of the hero for the entire time. Which makes sense, because the hero is never set up as being particularly good at fighting and loses the only other real fight he gets in (against some bar schlub). This fight goes way beyond Rocky IV levels of "this guy should have died by now". It's thirty solid minutes of him getting pounded into the dirt. He may as well have gotten run over by a pickup truck.

Then Adkins starts winning, for some reason, and then he wins. Because fuck it. It's unconvincing and unbelievable even by martial arts film standards.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Stallone was best in Demolition Man

That movie rules

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    m3qgors3ag2g.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Huh, if that poster reflects the finished design, I'm kinda surprised they are swinging so close (or using) the Legendary Godzilla design.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The anime is using the Legendary design? Well that's interesting.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Wait there's gonna be an anime?

That's cool I guess!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

That's cool I guess!
    It's super weird and I am excited

It's about a Expeditionary force returning to Earth after abandoning it centuries before due to climate change and also Godzilla only to find it is now overrun with Kaiju and an even older and more pissed off Godzilla

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what the production time on anime films is like these days, but it seems likely that the anime began production a lot closer to Godzilla 2014 than Shin Goji, that would explain it.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That Godzilla has massive legs.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

That's cool I guess!

It's about a Expeditionary force returning to Earth after abandoning it centuries before due to climate change and also Godzilla only to find it is now overrun with Kaiju and an even older and more pissed off Godzilla

This is still such a perfect Godzilla premise.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    So Mikey Neumann's been nominated for an Emmy.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Small point of distinction/clarification - he's on the Emmy ballots, meaning he's eligible to be nominated.

It's still very, very cool! But he isn't nominated quite yet.

• Options
    Goosebumps: Horrorland announced for Sept 21 2018. Jack Black returning

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

Small point of distinction/clarification - he's on the Emmy ballots, meaning he's eligible to be nominated.

It's still very, very cool! But he isn't nominated quite yet.

But he is nominated to be nominated

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »

Going to air in theaters before Coco starts

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/858103-olafs-frozen-adventure-trailer-returns-to-the-world-of-frozen#PsFtqqFrccKFZ6Uw.99 4 songs, 21 minutes long

This is really weird! Both Disney and Pixar do shorts before their movies these days, but up till now Disney goes in front of Disney and Pixar sticks with Pixar

Also I'm pretty sure 21 minutes is their longest short by a significant margin

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

That's cool I guess!

This is still such a perfect Godzilla premise.

Its walle with kaiju instead of trash and thats cool

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    jippeejippee Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    the final fight scene
    is a full half hour long, and there's no back and forth. It's Bautista kicking seven shades of shit out of the hero for the entire time. Which makes sense, because the hero is never set up as being particularly good at fighting and loses the only other real fight he gets in (against some bar schlub). This fight goes way beyond Rocky IV levels of "this guy should have died by now". It's thirty solid minutes of him getting pounded into the dirt. He may as well have gotten run over by a pickup truck.

Then Adkins starts winning, for some reason, and then he wins. Because fuck it. It's unconvincing and unbelievable even by martial arts film standards.

nah, he had an infinity stone palmed all along. Benicio Del Toro just couldn't be bothered to show up before the credits.

Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I saw It Comes at Night this afternoon. I found it to be pretty good and very tense, I don't want to say more because people should see it with as little info as possible.

Our theater had maybe two dozen people in it (3:10 on a Tuesday probably isn't high time anyway), and their reaction to the ending was worth the price of admission alone.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The best part of that shitty Kickboxer sequel Tube mentioned?

During the credits they have Jai Courtney in a split screen dance-off with footage of young JCVD in the original.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Solar wrote: »
    Stallone was best in Demolition Man

That movie rules

I love how the setting of that film was basically hand-crafted to give the leader of the rebellion (Played by Dennis Leary) an excuse to have Dennis Leary rants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMI_26oljqs

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    That movie because a bizarre joke of how every truck/van contained food to loot for a time with me
    I mean it was said at weird times and at random for no reason like at the stop light saying I bet that {locksmith van} is full of food to loot
    To which T and her friend looked at me for a good hour saying has combat effected you in way? are you alright?

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    The best part of that shitty Kickboxer sequel Tube mentioned?

During the credits they have Jai Courtney in a split screen dance-off with footage of young JCVD in the original.

I think it's Scott Adkins?

The film also has the line "Tong Po! I challenge you to a fight!" and it's precisely as bad as whatever the worst line reading for that you can imagine is.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

How do they keep people on the beat?

• Options
    What we've waited 20 years for has finally come: Joel Schumacher apologizes for Batman & Robin
    Vice wrote:
    The rubberized butt shot was the first scene to catch me off guard; I remember being a teen when I saw Batman's rubber molded ass on film in '97 and two things happened to me that day. One, I learned the value of money because I had spent six dollars on a Batman & Robin ticket, and two, I realised I needed to talk to the person responsible for this mess—director Joel Schumacher.

Twenty years later, mission accomplished.

"Look, I apologize," Schumacher told me in a phone interview last week. "I want to apologize to every fan that was dissapointed, because I think I owe them that."

The apology seemed like a good way to start because Batman & Robin was terrible, not by my DC fanboy standards, but by historical standards. It was so bad in fact that the main star and co-star went on the record stating as much, "It was a difficult film to be good in," said George Clooney in an interview with Total Film. And later, Chris O'Donnell said, "On Batman Forever, I felt like I was making a movie. The second time, I felt like I was making a kid's toy."

When I look back at the 20th anniversary of Batman & Robin, I'm still reminded of the cringe-fest that the 1997 film was, compared to previous iterations of Batman—and I'm including the campy 1960s live-action show. Batman & Robin ignored the popular direction that Tim Burton took with his brooding Batman and went with a colourful, Vegas-styled vision rife with bat-ice-skates, sky surfing, and bat nipples.

I wondered what the man that made great films like The Lost Boys, 8mm, A Time to Kill, Phone Booth, and Batman Forever (not great but not terrible) was thinking and thankfully, Joel Schumacher was willing to talk to VICE and shed some light on the making of the film.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    He has nothing to apologize for because Batman & Robin is a stupid fun movie.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Half right!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Nobody should have to apologize for making the best live action Batman movie.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The amount of joy Bat-nipples alone brought the world means he needs not apologize

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I suspect that if I watched Batman & Robin now I would enjoy it a great deal.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Directors.
    When editing the first draft they use temp music.
    When fitting it to the final music they use editing.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Directors.
    When editing the first draft they use temp music.
    When fitting it to the final music they use editing.

Why not just play music on the set? It doesn't have to be loud, just audible. They're gonna redo the audio completely anyway, right?

This discussion has been closed.