Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Movie Thread.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I believe he spends a good deal of the commentary track of the dvd apologizing as well.

For reference, Tim Burton also goes into detail about complaints he received on the commentaries for his Batman movies, and either explains his intent or apologizes. Apparently he got a ton of complaints because Alfred let Vicki Vale into the Batcave and I guess there were fans that felt that shouldn't happen? He also explained the "Batman shoves a bomb down a guy's pants" scene and said that he intended it to be a Looney Tunes moment (and you only see smoke and confetti from the explosion) and he regretted not including a shot of the aftermath where the clown is covered in soot like Elmer Fudd and then passes out.

Lars on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Is cuing up a boombox to play the song just too much expense to bother with or something? Or is this just in situations where they know they're going to use music but they haven't decided which song yet by the time of filming?

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Any time anyone shits on Batman and Robin in favor of a more "brooding" Batman movie my eyes just roll right out of my skull.

4zyrt5.jpg
    Gvzbgul
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Ladai wrote: »
    Any time anyone shits on Batman and Robin in favor of a more "brooding" Batman movie my eyes just roll right out of my skull.

Both versions of Batman are valid.

LadaiZonugalMaximumKetarSweeney TomGrey GhostBionicPenguinMacro9Romanian My EscutcheonShortywanderingN1tSt4lkersarukunshoeboxjeddy
  • GustavGustav Registered User regular
    If you look at Batman and the Robin in the same vein as Batman 66 it's pretty much brilliant in my book.

VnZ7Xbt.jpg
    LadaiZonugalMysstMaddocdarunia106Romanian My EscutcheonRorshach KringleLordSolarMachariusN1tSt4lkerMidnite
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Professional dancers do not need music to stay on the beat.

Also, they practice a bunch.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Midnite
    edited June 2017
    Well, if they're professionals, then they'll be okay with it and not feel any particular embarrassment over dancing to silence and no chipmunks actually being on-set.

That said, piping in audio happens occasionally in other behind-the-scenes videos I've seen where dancing is involved, so maybe it's on a case-by-case basis.

SabreMau on
  • ZonugalZonugal "I am burdened with glorious purpose." Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    The best part of that shitty Kickboxer sequel Tube mentioned?

During the credits they have Jai Courtney in a split screen dance-off with footage of young JCVD in the original.

I think it's Scott Adkins?

The film also has the line "Tong Po! I challenge you to a fight!" and it's precisely as bad as whatever the worst line reading for that you can imagine is.

How does it rank against the current champ?

Loki_Golden_God_sig.jpg
    chrishallett83KwoaruAtari SoulSirToastyDedwrekkaBobble
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Batman and Robin is by far the most enjoyable Batman movie

GustavStraightzi
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That's all well and good for scenes full of professional dancers, but when it's a bunch of actors and some extras?

Is there some reason I don't know about that makes it bad to have music on set?

For professional dancers they'll have the lead choreographer screaming 1-2-3-4 at them to keep time. If it's a bunch of extras and they're just supposed to be sort of background dancing at a club, it depends. Generally you'd ADR that dialogue anyway so they could have music on set. Generally it's just not that important that extras are dancing in time.

chrishallett83tynicJoolander
    I know, from It's Always Sunny, that if they're doing a scene in a dance club with any dialogue being spoken there will be no music played on set.

Loki_Golden_God_sig.jpg
    chrishallett83
    Yeah, if the dancing isn't important and they want to leave the real dialogue in there's no real reason to not have people just bopping along.

BlankzillaZonugalJoolanderDedwrekka
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Solar wrote: »

One of my favorite parts of that movie is when Commissioner Gordon is talking to Batman about Poison Ivy and Bane going into hiding somewhere in South America, and says something like "Here's their last known photograph." He then hands Batman this picture:
    550981_10101871358913619_673415645_n.jpg?oh=67a2723a17d8f08ef4b648e679f0d3b4&oe=59E85CBE

I cannot overstate how much I love everything about that picture.

Ladai on
    4zyrt5.jpg
    StraightziSirEtchwartsGustavSolarZonugalBionicPenguinBear_thescondJoolanderDedwrekkaRainfalldarunia106Romanian My EscutcheonFencingsaxAtari SoulRorshach KringlewanderingBobbleshoeboxjeddyGoatmonMidnite
    Solar wrote: »

Eh, I dunno. Having seen both Batman and Robin as well as Batman '66, I still find the old movie more enjoyable.

sarukun
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If you pay too much attention to dance scenes it becomes obvious a lot of the time that everyone has a completely different beat happening in their head.

This generally doesn't apply to movies about dance, where they tend to go to a lot more effort. Sitcoms are usually dire*, though.

*with a red hot exception for Spaced, as usual

wandering
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    Spaced was too good for this world.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork

GustavtynicCharmyHermanoSnicketysnickClint EastwoodAistanShortywanderingJohnny ChopsockyshoeboxjeddyRhesus PositiveMidnite
    tynic wrote: »
    If you pay too much attention to dance scenes it becomes obvious a lot of the time that everyone has a completely different beat happening in their head.

This generally doesn't apply to movies about dance, where they tend to go to a lot more effort. Sitcoms are usually dire*, though.

*with a red hot exception for Spaced, as usual

Listen, not every show can have a great dance sequence like Legion...

Loki_Golden_God_sig.jpg
    GustavCentipede DamascusStraightziHawkstoneRorshach KringleBobbleFawstshoeboxjeddyMidnite
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Well, if they're professionals, then they'll be okay with it and not feel any particular embarrassment over dancing to silence and no chipmunks actually being on-set.

That said, piping in audio happens occasionally in other behind-the-scenes videos I've seen where dancing is involved, so maybe it's on a case-by-case basis.

Why do they bother giving the chipmunk a skirt if her entire ass isn't going to be covered by the skirt at all?

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Jedoc
    So that she codes as female.

tynicJoolanderDedwrekkaRomanian My EscutcheonFencingsaxwebguy20wanderingBahamutZEROshoeboxjeddyGoatmonMidnite
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    You can't cover an animal's butthole, they'll just shit on the clothes

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Twitter Steam Playstation- Mechaphiliac
    Clint Eastwood
    The default chipmunk is male. That's a real thing in our society. How sad is that?

• StraightziStraightzi I am growing weaker, and the night is coming on. If He can look me in the face again, I may not have time to act...Registered User regular
    The default chipmunk is male. That's a real thing in our society. How sad is that?

Well it's not called a chipnun.

Brovid HasselsmofDedwrekkaRainfallZombie HeroHermanoDarkPrimusRomanian My EscutcheonSnicketysnickchrishallett83YaYaJedocAngelinaAistanGR_ZombieFencingsaxMikey CTSCorporal CarlSirToastyJoolanderwanderingBobbleZonugaltynicFawstN1tSt4lkersarukunshoeboxjeddyGoatmonRhesus Positive
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Banned straight to hell

Gustavdarunia106HermanoJedocKetarchrishallett83Clint EastwoodYaYaShortyTrippyJingwanderingZonugaltynic
    I don't know that banning goes far enough in this instance.

StraightziFencingsaxTrippyJingwanderingBobbleZonugalMidnite
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka What Would Nyarlathotep Do? Registered User regular

Welcome to the problems of drawing/animation and coding. Damn near everything will default to male without a little coding.

Fencingsax
  • StempyStempy Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I believe he spends a good deal of the commentary track of the dvd apologizing as well.

For reference, Tim Burton also goes into detail about complaints he received on the commentaries for his Batman movies, and either explains his intent or apologizes. Apparently he got a ton of complaints because Alfred let Vicki Vale into the Batcave and I guess there were fans that felt that shouldn't happen? He also explained the "Batman shoves a bomb down a guy's pants" scene and said that he intended it to be a Looney Tunes moment (and you only see smoke and confetti from the explosion) and he regretted not including a shot of the aftermath where the clown is covered in soot like Elmer Fudd and then passes out.

This sounds like George Lucas level of bullshit. Was the guy the bat mobile set on fire supposed to disappear in a cloud of smoke to be replaced by a cooked chicken leg?

Goatmon
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't know that banning goes far enough in this instance.

Force him to take the vows?

wpyz0Y5.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular

That's all well and good for scenes full of professional dancers, but when it's a bunch of actors and some extras?

Is there some reason I don't know about that makes it bad to have music on set?

Usually on sets they'll have a choreographer on set to keep everyone in time, plus musical numbers often have a good number of takes and cuts, so it's something that's done in small bits, then edited together

chrishallett83FencingsaxZonugal
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize the Big Kareoke Dance Party Ending was such a thing until i read some article complaining about it...and now i realize every dreamworks movie ends this way! And then that Sing movie was literally a feature length big kareoke dance party ending. Why do children's movies have to be so bad when the tv shows seem to be getting better and better

uekIEp1.png
  • I have never seen Trolls, but I can almost guarantee I can describe the sequence the song, "Can't Stop the Feeling," by Justin Timberlake, is played over

Sweeney Tom
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    I like camp Batman. I still suspect I'd find B n R boring as I did the first time

sarukun
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    UH
    7aawc1wexg3j.jpg
    John Carpenter and Anthony Burch are writing a sequel comic to Big Trouble in Little China, set in 2020 after Ching Dai has unleashed hell on Earth and 60 year old Jack Burton is one of the few people left alive.

All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
    ShortySweeney TomRorshach KringleSirEtchwartsiguanacuswanderingDedwrekkaBanzai5150jgeisZonugalFawstsarukunshoeboxjeddydarunia106YaYa
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Was that other Big Trouble comic any good?

QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Anthony Burch? Welp, I'm out.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Gvzbgul
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Anthony Burch? Welp, I'm out.

Why

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Goatmon
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    some might say that mr. burch is a bad writer

paBaVtZ.jpg