As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SysAdmin] More like unItanium.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I feel like a lot of IT people toss their hands up at stuff they've never personally used.

It's worth doing most of the time because the question tends to be "why am I being told to use thing you definitely have never used?"

Like in my experience it's what happens 5 seconds before someone is about to tell me "thing they don't understand" will solve all the problems forever.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    ESXi/vSphere isn't super hard to figure out at all.

But again, in a complex environment it's an added cost that you don't have to have on the Windows side.

overall I think ESXi/v-sphere is a better solution than Hyper-V. But I can also absolutely see, understand, and justify an argument where it is not worth the cost over a hyper-v solution, especially if you're already investing in the datacenter sku of Windows Server. Especially since Hyper-V has closed the functionality gap. Not all the way, but it's no longer the hot garbage it was in the first couple implementations.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hoo boy this is a fun day.

So we user Hyper-V with Microsoft Failover Clustering. Last night our hosts went down for Windows Updates, and today they can't connect to the cluster node. The SAN is up and normal. The servers themselves are normal. They just can't connect to the node, so all our servers are down.

I just put a call in to Microsoft, hopefully they call back soon and we can get it up quickly. I do not want to be here all night.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'm about to get real into Service Now since our dept needs someone to manage reports and stuff.
    Anything to get away from desktop work.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm not even sure why this company has a SAN and failover clustering. It's only 2 hosts, and a handful of servers. I think when I get new servers later this year, I'm just gonna ditch the SAN (which is also due for an upgrade), and get 2 hosts with 6tb, and just set up 2 file servers with DFS. There's nothing else that mission critical here that we need failover and expensive SAN.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    ESXi/vSphere isn't super hard to figure out at all.

But again, in a complex environment it's an added cost that you don't have to have on the Windows side.

overall I think ESXi/v-sphere is a better solution than Hyper-V. But I can also absolutely see, understand, and justify an argument where it is not worth the cost over a hyper-v solution, especially if you're already investing in the datacenter sku of Windows Server. Especially since Hyper-V has closed the functionality gap. Not all the way, but it's no longer the hot garbage it was in the first couple implementations.
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Hoo boy this is a fun day.

So we user Hyper-V with Microsoft Failover Clustering. Last night our hosts went down for Windows Updates, and today they can't connect to the cluster node. The SAN is up and normal. The servers themselves are normal. They just can't connect to the node, so all our servers are down.

I just put a call in to Microsoft, hopefully they call back soon and we can get it up quickly. I do not want to be here all night.
    I like that these two posts are right next to each other.

(But again, I think Hyper-V is fine. I just know what my preference is. To be fair, I've only dealt with Hyper-V at a low level, so I don't know how well it interacts with SANs and networking and that kind of stuff.)

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I feel like a lot of IT people toss their hands up at stuff they've never personally used.

It's worth doing most of the time because the question tends to be "why am I being told to use thing you definitely have never used?"

Like in my experience it's what happens 5 seconds before someone is about to tell me "thing they don't understand" will solve all the problems forever.

God this describes one of the managers in my department so much.

"Product X will solve that problem!"

His favorite is SCCM. He's never set up SCCM or administered it. He just came from a company with a crack SCCM team and a mature SCCM deployment. I think he honestly has no clue how hard SCCM is to get spun up for the first time.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

His favorite is SCCM. He's never set up SCCM or administered it. He just came from a company with a crack SCCM team and a mature SCCM deployment. I think he honestly has no clue how hard SCCM is to get spun up for the first time.

I'm probably going to be dealing with this exact thing in a couple months.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience with Win10 LTSB? I've been asked to work on a system running it. The version installed doesn't seem to support using a TPM. Is there different configuration of the LTSB that would, or is that something cut from LTSB?

@Darkewolfe did you get any luck on this?

The answer was, I shit you not, they only had access to the eval version, not the full version. Unsurprisingly, there are functionality differences.
    Feral wrote: »

"X solution made my life easier" is sometimes conflated with, "Having a crack team USING X solution made my life easier."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Fuck me

I'm definitely gonna be here all night

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Fuck me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWnyCxva6bA

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Cascading style sheet is causing a problem with asp.net.

Dev says it's not.

I show him the error populates only when this certain action takes place.

Dev says that shouldn't be happening.

I show him a direct correlation in the event log, localized directly on the SQL server.

Dev says that isn't the issue.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

• Options
    omg

so I'm on this mail thread where they're troubleshooting some internally dev'd software that uses a USB-to-Serial adapter

we have to use specific ones or it doesn't work (usb to serial adapters are notoriously wonky so that makes sense, right?)

the dev revealed that his program finds the COM port by parsing the friendly device names in device manager

so it's been failing out not because of like, some technical compatibility problem

but because it doesn't see a device with a name with the fucking string "USB to Serial" in it

uh now I'm no dev but that seems like some hacky bullshit

and not as in "hacker" but as in this guy's a fucking hack

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    @bowen ^^^^

tell me if this guy's a bad dev or I'm just freaking out at seeing the sausage made

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    tell me if this guy's a bad dev or I'm just freaking out at seeing the sausage made

If he's parsing device names he's probably ignoring the information that is right there along with it that indicates properly the class of device you want, so yeah.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah that is the really lazy way to do it @Aioua

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    What language is he using? C# makes it stupid easy to get device information like Com Port and device driver and all that wonky shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it's C#, actually.

• Options
    lol get fucked on shitty devs

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I have to assume they just used the first "how do I find com devices" result in google

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Fuck me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWnyCxva6bA

See also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqAvFx3NxUM

dporowski on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Real sysadmins, I need your advice. This job brief went up a couple of days ago: https://frontier.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=318635&company_id=15798&version=1&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=1015339&startflag=1

Now I'll start off by saying no I am not qualified for this job based on the qualifications listed in that brief. I have but a small amount of programming knowledge (Javascript), Basic knowledge of ISP structure, I have configured and updated a server before, and many more than 5+ years in an ISP environment. I have a Bachelors degree, but it's not in comp sci or ITS (though I have returned to school in the last couple of years and am working towards ITS). Here's what makes me want to maybe apply for the job anyway: I know someone who has this job title within the company, and he and I used to work in the same department within a telecom, doing provisioning work and deep dive troubleshooting (but not for the ISP network backbone). While he certainly has stronger networking skills than I do, when we worked in the same department I would say my skill at discovering how to fix new undocumented errors, and then documenting how to fix those for other people in the department, was higher than his.

So I asked him about his job:
    Cambiata: Hey [bro], mind if I ask you something about your job now?
    DevOps: sure
    Cambiata: Well I see ENGR, IT SYSTEMS is up on the job board which is why I'm asking - how much programming did you know before you got it? Do you have a comp sci degree?
    I'd sorta like to apply and I know some programming & am doing CCNA, but I'm wondering if I can beef stuff up before I apply
    DevOps:
    skills I brought to the table were a broad understanding of the access network, a general understanding of the flow of information through the support systems, Excel-fu, basic SQL knowledge, and about 10 years of experience plumbing the depths of the telecom access layer
    Cambiata: So you don't do coding? SQL, Python? Or how about Cisco ios commands or Linux commands?
    DevOps: We're moving towards some lightweight development so I'm picking up Python
    Cambiata: really? Huh.
    DevOps: We're moving towards some lightweight development so I'm picking up Python
    Cambiata: Oooh, that'll have made a difference. And that's what I can't bring. Dammit.
    DevOps: I don't feel that education factors weighed much
    Cambiata: well the brief on the website specifically says ITS or Comp Sci degree required
    I have neither - my bachelors is in Music
    DevOps: It's going to vary appreciably department to department
    Cambiata: I'm taking classes towards a bachelors in ITS but it's a long way off. I'll still try for it, though. Never know.
    DevOps: A lot of what we do is sift data to root cause problems then figure out how to translate inputs and outputs better
    [Editor's note: ^ This is EXACTLY what I'm great at]
    Cambiata: Well it's Engr, It systems in Allen so I sort of assumed it would be same dept as you, but I don't know Allen at all.
    DevOps: hiring manager listed?
    Cambiata: don't think so but I"ll double check
    DevOps: There are 400 desks this side of the building, many of them vacant
    Cambiata: nope, they don't like putting hiring manager info on these
    none listed
    DevOps: hm, any other clues like organization?
    Cambiata: "Primary duties as a programmer on Linux platform, working with Internet Service Provider infrastructure and provisioning systems. Skills may be used towards software integration and systems administration as needed. "
    no dept
    DevOps: [Our customer service provisioning software] runs on a linux cluster with dozens of VMs
    the knowledge there is pretty basic
    Cambiata: Job Description:
    [Ed.'s note: I copy pasted part of the job brief here for him to read]
    DevOps: know how to navigate the CLI and extract basic info
    Cambiata: Yes, I can do that.
    I think I'm going to apply, but only after I brush up on my technical skills
    Thanks for the info,[buddy]
    DevOps: We're not quite 24x7 so it's likely not our group (pretty sure we're not hiring) so it sounds more like the NOC
    Cambiata: ah, ok.
    DevOps: that first bullet makes it sound like a development job
    Cambiata: Yeah but you're listed as 'devops', that's why I thought you are a developer now
    DevOps: We're moving that direction, trying to automate the routine ops work
    I'm working on Python, a common backend automation tool for sysadmin type automation

Ok I included all that because: 1) It sounds like what he's doing is absolutely work that I can also do, with time and training (especially if you only need basic coding skills) 2) The job i'm looking at may not be his department, but since network monitoring is something I want to get into very badly I don't see that as a problem..

Now comes the hard part: I'm planning to pack my free time over the next three days into learning some Python and SQL, brushing up on Linux, and trying to understand as much as I can of the other parts of the qualifications. Having done that I would apply for the job on Monday.

So back to my question to you guys, people who are for-real already doing this job: when I do apply, should I make it clear that I am a newbie to this information but that I'm a fast learner? If I do make clear my lack of expertise, will explaining enthusiastically that I learned it all for the sake of having a shot at this job give me a better shot at it? Would it be better to just conceal that entirely (other than the degree and the 5+ years in an ISP environment, the brief isn't super clear on the expert level expected. Nothing is listed as SME or even just "expert", just says you need "experience" on these things, which I can get through self study it seems to me.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Never say you don't know something. Find something that is like what they are talkign about that you don't know.

It works 90% of the time unless they really need that specific thing and most of the time they don't they just threw it on their to scare people off from applying unless they were Ph.D's from MIT.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    First, you may not get the job if you apply, but you'll definitely not get the job if you don't apply.

Second, not knowing something (either completely or slightly) is sometimes a plus for someone doing hiring. Oftentimes they have a specific way of doing something, and it can be easier to train a novice how to do it their way rather than force a veteran to change. Let your resume do the talking for you.

Finally, a lot of IT knowledge is transferable, especially coding. If you don't have experience programming X, but you do have experience with Y, it's going to make it easier for you to pick up X. I don't have any experience in C or Python or a lot of other stuff, but I bet I could get a basic understanding of someone else's code because I do have experience with other languages. If I had to learn C, I'd say that gives me an advantage.

• Options
    Also if you don't get the job don't take it personally.

There are a lot of reasons that can happen and some of them don't even have anything to do with you as a candidate.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    "OUR WEB HUB IS TIMING OUT."

*gets on SQL server. 97% RAM usage*

"Also our logins are slow"

*SQL server is DC*

"You need more RAM or you need to take your new monitoring software your local tech company installed off of the SQL server because it only has 4 gigs"

"I don't like those options."

Well, get fucked then, those are your only options.

• Options

"Okay."

• Options
    "I don't like those options"

"Ok, well, I'm going for a coffee then."

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular

"Okay."

I've done this to someone before. It was great.

• Options

"Okay."

That's pretty much what I said.

Their "local tech company" guy is supposed to call me so I can ask him why he throttled our SQL instance to 1GB so they could use the entire rest of the available RAM.

• Options
    edited June 2017

"Okay."

Their "local tech company" guy is supposed to call me so I can ask him why he throttled our SQL instance to 1GB so they could use the entire rest of the available RAM.

With only 4GB you're using that term loosely.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

"Okay."

With only 4GB you're using that term loosely.

Indeed.

It still blows my mind to see servers with that little memory on them.

"Oh no, we'll suffer through the performance loss, the $50 in RAM for an upgrade is just too much."

Cheap ass motherf...

• Options
    edited June 2017
    shit I can barely run a PC at 8 gigs anymore

bowen on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    shit I can barely run a PC at 8 gigs anymore

I built my home PC in 2013 with 16GB, which feels about right for the next 3 years or so. My devbox at work has 32GB.

A "server" with 4GB is criminal at this point.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    I've spent the week fighting Office 365 federation issues.

After a lot of research and lots of time in power-shell I finally won.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Dude calls me right before lunch -- "Is the network running slow?"
    Me -- Nope, seems fine for me. Is it okay on the other PCs in that same room?
    Dude -- Yeah, seems okay on this other PC. This one was acting funny and I rebooted it and it just sat there and spun when I tried to pull up the network drive. But I can't do (important thing) on the other PCs without setting up some stuff.
    Me -- You don't have a backup PC out of the half dozen in that room to use as a backup for (thing)?
    Dude -- Well, no I don't think so.
    Me -- Okay, well, email me so I remember after lunch.
    (No email by this point, so if there's a hardware problem, it ain't getting fixed until Monday. By someone else, because I'm with a consultant all week.)

• Options
    Local tech calls me back.

Apparently this software does hardware monitoring and patch management.

These people are on our hosted servers that already do hardware monitoring and patch management.

Why the hell the hosted team didn't do anything about the memory squeeze that started in late April is beyond me.

So, local tech guy removes the software.

Everything works.

Like. Magic.

• Options
    Artoria wrote: »
    I've spent the week fighting Office 365 federation issues.

After a lot of research and lots of time in power-shell I finally won.

think the term "won" is relative here.

• Options
    Me -- Nope, seems fine for me. Is it okay on the other PCs in that same room?
    Dude -- Yeah, seems okay on this other PC. This one was acting funny and I rebooted it and it just sat there and spun when I tried to pull up the network drive. But I can't do (important thing) on the other PCs without setting up some stuff.
    Me -- You don't have a backup PC out of the half dozen in that room to use as a backup for (thing)?
    Dude -- Well, no I don't think so.
    Me -- Okay, well, email me so I remember after lunch.
    (No email by this point, so if there's a hardware problem, it ain't getting fixed until Monday. By someone else, because I'm with a consultant all week.)
    Okay, but now I just got back from fixing a .zip association with Acrobat. "Hey can you unzip this for me?" Um, no, why can't you? Friday afternoon I guess. Could be worse.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

I'm kind of a grouch about this. I swallow it in the interest of professional demeanor, but it's a pet peeve of mine.

If a user is having a problem, I just want them to tell me what's wrong so I can fix it. Asking, "is system having issues?" is irrelevant the majority of the time.

I just politely respond, "Why do you ask? Is it slow for you? Tell me about it."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.