As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SysAdmin] More like unItanium.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I hate Ubuntu with a passion.

If you're going to run a .deb based os run Debian but you can't get support on that so that leaves it out.

That leaves you SLES and Redhat and between the two I'd go Redhat all the way.

This may be clouded by how much I hate unity. I know unity is gone. I know I am old.

Get off my lawn.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    No arguments here for Unity's UI.

You don't tend to run unity on server environments though. 100% headless with SSH is how I roll.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I've run Ubuntu in small businesses before.

My current shop is all roughly 85% Windows, 5% CentOS, 5% SUSE, 5% random virtual/physical appliances running whatever distros they came with.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I let my hatred of that company as a whole cloud how I feel about any product they make.

It's wholly irrational and may be a thing I get over one day.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    SUSE is still relevant?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    SUSE is still relevant?

Strangly enough, yes.

It would never by my choice though.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    BTW, this 6-bay Netgear RN31600 NAS is on sale at Newegg today. $494. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122151&ignorebbr=1

Reviews strongly indicate that the hardware is great but the software is garbage. Luckily, it's hackable. Netgear bases their NAS software on Debian and people have been able to replace it with other Debian flavors.

These instructions are for a different model but it should work similarly with some fiddling: https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/csc/people/computingstaff/jaroslaw_zachwieja/readynaspro-jailfix/

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    BTW, this 6-bay Netgear RN31600 NAS is on sale at Newegg today. $494. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122151&ignorebbr=1

Reviews strongly indicate that the hardware is great but the software is garbage. Luckily, it's hackable. Netgear bases their NAS software on Debian and people have been able to replace it with other Debian flavors.

These instructions are for a different model but it should work similarly with some fiddling: https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/csc/people/computingstaff/jaroslaw_zachwieja/readynaspro-jailfix/

$500 for a drive cage and shitty PC? You could probably build the same thing for < $100.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    We're using Ubuntu. We don't care about having a support contract from our OS vendor.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    The SUSE servers are running Oracle databases for a specific system and SUSE is what the vendor recommends.

• Options

$500 for a drive cage and shitty PC? You could probably build the same thing for < $100.

I priced one out, you'd probably be in the ballpark of like $230 (before putting in hard drives) and it wouldn't be in a snazzy case like that is, so maybe that's worth the extra $250 ?

Here's what I specced if I was going to do it:

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    "hey helpdesk, when you get a new user you need to do [thing 1] and [thing 2] and I only see a WO for [thing 2]."

"hi yes, I set up the tasks as you can see I made WO for [thing 2] on friday, thank you goodbye"

¬_¬

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

I priced one out, you'd probably be in the ballpark of like $230 (before putting in hard drives) and it wouldn't be in a snazzy case like that is, so maybe that's worth the extra $250 ?

yea, I would say in general if you're buying a NAS it's because you want to have a purpose built box for it. I had a couple roll my own NAS solutions at home in the past using cheap/old hardware and found that over time just buying a purpose built box was more efficient overall.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

yea, I would say in general if you're buying a NAS it's because you want to have a purpose built box for it. I had a couple roll my own NAS solutions at home in the past using cheap/old hardware and found that over time just buying a purpose built box was more efficient overall.

Just pop this bad boy on it:

http://www.freenas.org/

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm kinda with Entaru that when it comes to a server, if I'm going to use Ubuntu, I just use Debian instead. And then that's only if I have some compelling reason not to use CentOS instead. If there's a ppa for, let's say, a Unifi Controller, I'm totally spinning up a Debian server for that. And flatly ignore that the install instructions are for Ubuntu.

Not really concerned with support where I'm at. That's usually when I try and explain a situation to someone who's unfamiliar with my environment, which then hamstrings their ability to help me, and thus wastes my time trying shit instead of me going back, studying up, and reversing something I probably fucked up to begin with.

yum is definitely nowhere near as awesome as apt, but it's still a decent package manager with its own set of tricks. Ubuntu isn't difficult to harden, but I don't know what qualification of that you're looking for. Iptables rules saving tends to be a hair-pulling event when I have to re-invent how to save and load them automagically again, I do know that this pisses me off every time.

We use Ubuntu for a lot of our workstations, but that's between me and my boss. I'd prefer not using Ubuntu because Canonical's best interest is in selling their Landscape service, so their OS isn't generally going to be as friendly to mass management tools. Plus I hate Unity, learn 2 search app "menus", and the general lack of options when it comes to how the hell the desktop is laid out. But Edubuntu was a great flavor for our LTSP builds, and Ubuntu MATE has been very friendly for our LTSP-PnP builds, now using fat clients. In the next few years, who knows? I still like Linux Mint. Like, a lot. Pretty much any distro/flavor that has a proper dive-able application menu and/or a configurable desktop, is pretty much what I prefer for users (Ubuntu gets an F, btw).

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    also attached to that workorder is a file named "[username].pdf.pdf.pdf"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

I still have no idea why "hide file extensions of known file types" is still a thing

it causes way more problems than it's worth

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I am up to interview #2 for a new job.

At one point the first interviewer asks me about AIX. I guess they use AIX some?

anyway to paraphrase my reply(I said it more diplomatically) "Like AIX is really all that different than any of the other Unix variants I've worked with. "

Seidkona on
  • Options

I still have no idea why "hide file extensions of known file types" is still a thing

Well, and it's taught people incorrect assumptions of what filenames look like. When Windows first came out, part and parcel of the deployment was making sure that the end user could teach themselves how the system works simply by using it. That's why you have menus that can access every function of the system. That's why you have Solitaire installed by default. And that's why filename extensions weren't hidden. The convenience changes have merely pushed end users backwards and have only hurt them in the process. I'll admit my bias: I got into and learned 'puters because I wanted to know what all of these damn buttons did. I typed random words I knew into my dad's Apple IIe until the word "LIST" brought up the command list, and then I fucked around with that until his 6 year old son had managed to ruin every program and file he had on his properly floppy disk. I clicked on every program in Windows 3.11 and Mac OS in the vain search of a hidden game (probably the best and worst trick my dad ever pulled on me, telling me there was one, though I'm not sure he was aware of the beneficial effect). I fiddled around with Windows 95 for days on end just to make a stupid LAN game work properly.

This is not to say that kids these days have it too rough or too easy, more that software used to be a self-teaching tool on its own.

tl;dr Stay off my lawn, but if you want to mow it, you can use my mower and have a soda and 20 bucks when you're done.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Seriously. The first thing I fix when I'm on a fresh Windows install.

• Options
    some of those exes back in the day with the shitty compressed jpg almost fooled me a few times

• Options
    some of those exes back in the day with the shitty compressed jpg almost fooled me a few times

My dad got juked by the old jdbgmgr.exe virus hoax back in the day. Man was that embarrassing.

To his credit, he's been a stalwart snopes-checker on everything ever since.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

Do what I did and Group Policy that BS out, homies.

• Options

Do what I did and Group Policy that BS out, homies.

doesn't work on home systems where people will be most impacted by it

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Seriously. The first thing I fix when I'm on a fresh Windows install.

This and Item Check Boxes.

I'm happy for you if they work for you.

But you're wrong.

• Options
    item checkboxes?

• Options
    Item checkboxes are the devil and anyone who likes them is bad and should feel bad.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I'm so confused right now.

• Options

Google tells me there's an option to make it so when selecting files you can use checkboxes instead of Ctrl or Shift clicking them. I don't actually know if that's what they're referring to or not.

• Options
    Guess who just had to drive 10 minutes because a user plugged in a USB cable into an Ethernet port?

Normally that wouldn't even be my thing but we have a couple people off today and I was the only one available to go. =/

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

Google tells me there's an option to make it so when selecting files you can use checkboxes instead of Ctrl or Shift clicking them. I don't actually know if that's what they're referring to or not.

it was the default in 8 and I think they turned it off in 8.1

in 10 at the very least

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

it was the default in 8 and I think they turned it off in 8.1

in 10 at the very least

There's your problem.

• Options
    item checkboxes?

win7_checkbox_select_1.jpg

They're the worst.

• Options
    it's been in Windows since XP I think. And iirc it was only default in Windows 8 devices that had touchscreens.

• Options
    other incorrect Explorer UI options:
    preview pane
    hiding hidden files
    views other than 'detailed'

• Options
    preview pane
    hiding hidden files

Icon views are ok for folders full of pictures.

Other than that, we share one heart.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    preview pane
    hiding hidden files

Preview pane is actually buggy as shit and can break things with shared files/file shares. It's kind of amazing.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    preview pane
    hiding hidden files

Preview pane is actually buggy as shit and can break things with shared files/file shares. It's kind of amazing.

I've also heard it used as a vector for various malware execution

what since it's buggy as shit

• Options
    I just opened a new thin client. It comes in a static bag sealed with a sticker that says "Breaking this seal indicates your acceptance of the End-User License Agreement"

*cuts open bottom of bag*

Fuck your EULA.

• Options
    I wonder how iron clad that is if you keep the bag and recorded yourself taking it out of said bag.

This discussion has been closed.