As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SysAdmin] More like unItanium.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I just spent 4 hours wrangling with Backup Exec 2010 because the new Windows update broke it and I had to repair install the goddamned thing.

It took almost an HOUR to download the .ISO file because it's a country-as-fuck bank and they got country-as-fuck internet, and that's AFTER I tried every other conceivable method of getting it to work.

Then... THEN the reboot, because fuck regediting the reboot out this shit needed a goddamned reboot.

And yes, it was the bank you saw earlier with the 880 hours of uptime.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I just spent 4 hours wrangling with Backup Exec 2010 because the new Windows update broke it and I had to repair install the goddamned thing.

It took almost an HOUR to download the .ISO file because it's a country-as-fuck bank and they got country-as-fuck internet, and that's AFTER I tried every other conceivable method of getting it to work.

Then... THEN the reboot, because fuck regediting the reboot out this shit needed a goddamned reboot.

I'm quite upset that you rebooted my pathway to savings.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

You can just install the coupon app somewhere else, gawd.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »

You can just install the coupon app somewhere else, gawd.

I require 100% uptime on my coupon servers. It's a high bar.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Any suggestions on good USB print servers?

My boss brought in an old HP Laserjet and a laptop running XP so he could share the printer to his other computers.

Computers that, apparently, he can't just hook the damn printer up to. It needs to be separate, for some reason.

I don't want the XP box on my network so I told him it had to go.

"Ok, buy me a print server then, Señor."

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I'd tell him to stop being a cheap ass and buy a printer with an ethernet port.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I'd tell him to stop being a cheap ass and buy a printer with an ethernet port.

that's actually probably cheaper than going with a USB print server that is also another point of failure.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah snag a brother laser printer for like $120

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    It's color and he already has it and toner. I'm not gonna convince him to buy a new printer.

• Options
    what's the model and does it have a port for a jetdirect card?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yeah JetDirect is the answer there, as much as HP printers suck JetDirect support is pretty mature and should be fairly plug and play.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Any suggestions on good USB print servers?

My boss brought in an old HP Laserjet and a laptop running XP so he could share the printer to his other computers.

Computers that, apparently, he can't just hook the damn printer up to. It needs to be separate, for some reason.

I don't want the XP box on my network so I told him it had to go.

"Ok, buy me a print server then, Señor."

If you have get a print server then I've had great luck with HP Jet Direct. But these days they cost as much as a new printer.

Since it sounds like your boss is cheap then go with an IOGear one. They work surprisingly well for only being $40

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833139009&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Print/Scanner+Server-_-N82E16833139009&gclid=CNTdxdjY8tMCFUGTaQodWusF1Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Artoria on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    can't you have the laptop share the printer, connect the laptop to the network, and then people can connect to \\laptopname\printername?

I dunno I've never tried using that feature.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    can't you have the laptop share the printer, connect the laptop to the network, and then people can connect to \\laptopname\printername?

Yes, but it's running XP and I don't want it on my network, even if it has no internet access.

• Options

Yes, but it's running XP and I don't want it on my network, even if it has no internet access.

but it's totally ok, WannaCry has been patched!

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Hell just buy a Jet Direct and if he balks at the price just say that's the cost of him going off and buying things without asking you first. (on a compatibility/technical level not a buying power/position one)

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options

where did he even get a laptop running XP?

any reason why you can't throw a 7 image onto it

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Considering how podunk my customers are, I'm really surprised at the amount of people here with networks that even have SMBv1 capable stuff.

• Options
    I just found a 2012 R2 server that's never been updated.

:bigfrown:

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Me: <installed updates>
    Me: Why isn't this software program working now? <call outside software vendor>
    Outside software vendor: Oh yeah, whenever you install Windows updates now the software will break. We need to fix it and then it'll be running again but whenever you run updates there is a chance it'll break.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Have I mentioned Fuck Quickbooks? Because Fuck Quickbooks.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Didn't get any computers infected.

I really can't believe it.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    For fuck sake people, if you're sitting at your desk in your goddamn office why are you working on WiFi?

It makes the internet go faster because it doesn't have to go over the pipes that all the other people are going over.

I work off my own WiFi that runs off of our ISP backup connection. Cause screw the plebs and their proxy servers.

• Options

where did he even get a laptop running XP?

any reason why you can't throw a 7 image onto it

Old work laptop I think. It's my boss' brother, really. I don't technically work for him, but he runs his company out of an office in our building so I'm his IT guy too. Eventually I'm just gonna segregate his stuff on his own VLAN so I don't have to worry about it, but I'm the sole guy here and have my hands in a billion things right now.

• Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    For fuck sake people, if you're sitting at your desk in your goddamn office why are you working on WiFi?

The Wi-fi here bogs down less in the afternoon when the offsite backup job runs.

Doubly hilarious considering who I work for, but none of you will know that :P

Uhh, with a statement like that and an avatar to match... Aerohive?

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    sjx0jdaj89j8.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Options
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    utm8cd6c6ikr.png

• Options
    is 2010 worse than the current one?

Have backups really changed in 7 years?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    is 2010 worse than the current one?

Have backups really changed in 7 years?

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNRRRR

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Backups. . .Backups never change.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

Symantec is eternafucked.

No matter what.

• Options

No matter what.

nitpicking but Symantec doesn't own backup exec anymore. They spun that part of the business off and sold it. It's not back under the Veritais name and is a completely different company.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

No matter what.

nitpicking but Symantec doesn't own backup exec anymore. They spun that part of the business off and sold it. It's not back under the Veritais name and is a completely different company.

Doesn't matter.

For some reason I'm developing a rash every time I see the color yellow now.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I just don't get why backup software is routinely so bad. Do you guys remember the microsoft backup service included in older windows servers that I have literally never seen a backup restore correctly with?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Aww c'mon you guys, you're gonna make Chetan Savade sad with all this Symantec trash-talk!

• Options
    That's a blast from the past.

• Options

he's part of the orginal trinity: The Bowen, The Honky, and The Chetan Savade

The Bowen, the old testament god, wrathful and demanding of obediance
    The Honkey, who died as a sysadmin and ascended to the programming thread
    and The Chetan Savade, always there always watching, and you're never sure if he's really helping

• Options
    that.. actually makes sense

• Options
    that.. actually makes sense

and it's poetic! made of out amphibrachs

the BOW en
    the HONK y
    and
    the CHE tan
    sa VA de

• Options

This is really just a meme thread anymore.

This discussion has been closed.