As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SysAdmin] More like unItanium.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm an aggressive patcher. When I started at my company we had no official policy for patching, and it was done more or less when an engineer got around to it (about once every 2 months).

I set our patching policies and we now aim for 100% installation within 14 days for any updates to any Microsoft or Adobe product, any web browser, and Java. We don't always make it, but we get close.

We were fully patched against ETERNALABLOO a month ago...

...except for that one fucking 2003 VM that we still have because that team is slowpokes

Ideally I'd patch every month, but my reality is that I can't get there... yet. I'm pushing for a pretty substantial infrastructure upgrade over the next 18 months or so. only when I have that mostly done will I be able to do it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I'm an aggressive patcher. When I started at my company we had no official policy for patching, and it was done more or less when an engineer got around to it (about once every 2 months).

I set our patching policies and we now aim for 100% installation within 14 days for any updates to any Microsoft or Adobe product, any web browser, and Java. We don't always make it, but we get close.

...except for that one fucking 2003 VM that we still have because that team is slowpokes

Ideally I'd patch every month, but my reality is that I can't get there... yet. I'm pushing for a pretty substantial infrastructure upgrade over the next 18 months or so. only when I have that mostly done will I be able to do it.

It took a couple of years to get to this point and the whining

omg the whining

"Feral, random_problem_073 happened on software_that_shits_itself_all_the_time! It must have been a Windows Update!"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

It took a couple of years to get to this point and the whining

omg the whining

"Feral, random_problem_073 happened on software_that_shits_itself_all_the_time! It must have been a Windows Update!"

Part of my thing is we're still mostly a physical server environment so if a patch does go sideways I can't just roll back a snapshot. Much higher risk of ruining my day/week if an update goes badly.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Spending my morning trying to get rid of this "McAfee" malware from my work laptop.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Spending my morning trying to get rid of this "McAfee" malware from my work laptop.

Godspeed.

That's a tough one to get rid of.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    User: I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IT'S NOT UPDATED OUR LOCAL TECH SAID HE REBOOTED THE SERVER LAST NIGHT

37nu7cis9mql.png

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wow that's some pretty good uptime for windows

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

And they want to ruin it with a reboot for a critical update.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options

Problem is tho

qtbr2nyxa0rt.png

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I like how the page file's been hit for 6 giggles, and yet no reboot.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

"A" critical update?

Funny thing is, their other server rebooted and got updated.

This one hasn't.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »

"A" critical update?

Funny thing is, their other server rebooted and got updated.

This one hasn't.

Uptime is the currency of the strong.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    So one of my tasks to day is to sneakernet install the KB for the WannaCry patch. Fun fun fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just spent an hour disabling SMBv1 on our servers. Should mitigate the WannaCry threat until I get my dowtime window tonight to update.

workstation's are all patched.

Also sent out an email to the users that said "be less stupid than usual today" (I might have said it in a slightly more nice way)

• Options
    Maybe if you didn't also make me the biller of a county and the IT guy something could get done around here, boss.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Hahaha.

After going around and updating all of our users local machines one of our techs got locked out of his account because a user came in, didn't bother to see that it wasn't his account he was trying to log in to and tried 11 times before stomping over in a huff.

So, no, I don't think we can ask users to be less stupid.

• Options
    I thought the MS17-010 got patched in March

• Options
    I just spent an hour disabling SMBv1 on our servers. Should mitigate the WannaCry threat until I get my dowtime window tonight to update.

Also sent out an email to the users that said "be less stupid than usual today" (I might have said it in a slightly more nice way)

Derp, it looks like our managed copier/scanner devices use SMBv1 to for scan to file. As soon as I made the change they all broke......

I've got a call in to see if they can be switched to v2, but if not..... no one is scanning today :rotate:

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    hah

one of my coworkers just got a call from one of the mooks at our new helpdesk all trying to close and reopen his ticket to reset the SLA

you messed with the wrong dude, he's already got you bosses name and is going to burn your ass

seriously you'd think you'd check and see if the requester is also IT before you try that shit

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    good ideas I had today:

"Hmm, maybe this script I made to delete all of a computer's user profiles belonging to the contoso.com domain checks first to make sure the computer isn't joined to the contoso.com domain."

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options

Derp, it looks like our managed copier/scanner devices use SMBv1 to for scan to file. As soon as I made the change they all broke......

I've got a call in to see if they can be switched to v2, but if not..... no one is scanning today :rotate:

I just made an ftp server and switched scanning to it.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Just a fun side note, if you shut off SMBv1, any older scan/fax devices you may have could possibly shit themselves and no longer be able to scan to their network shares, if they don't support more current versions of the SMB protocol. I've run into some older devices that only work on SMBv1, so shutting that off to close this security loophole could inherently also make those devices stop working.

• Options
    For fuck sake people, if you're sitting at your desk in your goddamn office why are you working on WiFi?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Oh I totally glossed over wunderbar's post about all their scanners breaking above :biggrin:

Or ever again at all on those devices.

Cog on
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »
    For fuck sake people, if you're sitting at your desk in your goddamn office why are you working on WiFi?

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO DAD

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS IF YOU GIVE ME ANY LIP LIKE THAT AGAIN

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS IF YOU GIVE ME ANY LIP LIKE THAT AGAIN

literal "this hurts me more than it hurts you"

• Options
    I am getting endless amusement out of the fact that Microsoft actually fucking released an XP/2003 patch for this thing.

• Options
    I am getting endless amusement out of the fact that Microsoft actually fucking released an XP/2003 patch for this thing.

we were using server2003 2 years ago

• Options
    mostly because we had some hospital software that wouldn't work with newer windows

I told the hospital "tough shit" and upgraded anyways, making the doctors have to go to the actual hospital to do work on their shitty antiquated servers.

Guess what they updated.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Godspeed.

That's a tough one to get rid of.

The uninstaller via the control panel couldn't even start.

Then I googled up their "removal tool".

Then the whole office got a laugh out of the captcha it has before you can actually uninstall.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

It makes the internet go faster because it doesn't have to go over the pipes that all the other people are going over.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    when I used to have an office to go to, I'd work wirelessly if I knew I had to go between meetings throughout the day. just made picking up and moving around easier, and I'm lazy.

• Options
    Oh I totally glossed over wunderbar's post about all their scanners breaking above :biggrin:

Or ever again at all on those devices.

I'm turning it back on once I'm patched up tonight. It's just amazing that this is a thing.

I was on the phone with support from the company that maintains them, and we have one machine that's new enough where it supports v2 and v3, so that one is up and running..... it's just in our remote office and not the main building. I looked at every one we have in this office and they're all 8+ years old and don't support anything above v1.

adding "get newer copiers since the ones we have are all probably past lease date anyway" to my list to bug the people who manage the copiers about.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular

We have a lot of clients using 2003 right now. Mainly because

1. They have software that won't run on anything newer 2003
    2. They won't spend the money on new software that is compatible with a modern server OS or don't want to learn a new product. IE they are cheap and lazy
    3. "This server works why would we spend the money to upgrade"
    4. Did I mention they're cheap?

I spent most of Friday night and all of Saturday making sure patches were done to 500+ servers and pushed to the workstations at every location.

I also came in 2 hours early today just in case. So far it's been all quite and I'm hoping it lasts.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    So I was thinking of cobbling together some powershell whirlygig that creates a .bat file for launching stuff, since I frequently find myself installing "C:\Program Files\Foo\Bar.exe" and I don't want to shit my PATH up with yet another folder so I want a script that makes a batch file in a directory in the path that starts that for me.

Friend of mine once made a whirlygig that added a context menu option 'add to path' that created symlinks in an already-in-path directory.

Yeah, what I want is essentially a command that lets me go "pathinate ./foo.exe". (But have it run from the actual directory, of course.)

I got bored and made this for you
    param( $path )

$shortcutsLocation = "C:\pathShortcuts\"

try { $fullPath =  Resolve-Path $path -ErrorAction Stop}
    catch { throw "Error resolving path: $_" }

$exeName = Get-ChildItem $fullPath | Select-Object -ExpandProperty BaseName
    $batPath = [string]$shortcutsLocation + $exeName + ".bat"

New-Item -Path $batPath -ItemType "file" | Out-Null

$batCode = "@echo off`r`n`"$fullPath`" %*"

Add-Content $batPath $batCode

for once, vanilla's inability to suppress at signs in code blocks works in my favor

also uh, I think the "%*" there just means "pass through all arguments" I dunno I avoid working in batch soooo

• Options
    Artoria wrote: »

2. They won't spend the money on new software that is compatible with a modern server OS or don't want to learn a new product. IE they are cheap and lazy

I spent most of Friday night and all of Saturday making sure patches were done to 500+ servers and pushed to the workstations at every location.

I also came in 2 hours early today just in case. So far it's been all quite and I'm hoping it lasts.

not very cheap once you calculate those costs in tho

• Options
    Artoria wrote: »

not very cheap once you calculate those costs in tho

ROI is a dirty word.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

The Wi-fi here bogs down less in the afternoon when the offsite backup job runs.

Doubly hilarious considering who I work for, but none of you will know that :P

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

The Wi-fi here bogs down less in the afternoon when the offsite backup job runs.

Doubly hilarious considering who I work for, but none of you will know that :P

You work for Symantec, you son of a bitch, admit it.

This discussion has been closed.