As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect Andromeda] Shepard may get a day, but Ryder gets a planet.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I would recommend this game purely for the combat and guns/armor. I did feel disappointed with the story in the end, but it does have some of the best character work. Worth $12 easy.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    After reading through a few pages of this thread, I'm apprehensive to pick up Andromeda. I was fully out of the loop when it was released, though I'd heard various complaints about the game. I know they released a few patches to try and fix some issues but I never followed what those were.

Some games, for me, I'm totally cool to say "it's not worth buying at full price, but at X% off I'll definitely pick it up." Is Andromeda one of those games at $12 or is it a full pass at any price?

Eh, it's not a "this game is so terrible, I think it gave me cancer" title. It's just, IMO, pretty mediocre, and especially disappointing compared to what came before. Most of the complaints, mine included, are that it's half-baked all around. Story, gameplay, etc. Some people can look past the myriad flaws (or not see them as flaws) and have a good time with it, others can't.

In any event, I think $12 is more than a fair price for it. And, for me, I think that almost any game is worth trying once. I've certainly enjoyed games others have panned, and if I can recommend people playing Final Fantasy XV at least once (a game I absolutely loathed), I'm more than comfortable telling people to try ME:A.

I really liked the first 1/3 open world part of FF15 and then was so put off by the end of the game, that I haven't played it again since, not even the DLC which I already bought.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I missed N7 day but this is still my favorite Mass Effect video:

https://youtu.be/li5aDU9280c

That works...better than it should!

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Hmmm, just looked up the synopsis for that book about the Quarian ark, the plot (a bio-weapon threat) sounds a lot less interesting than I was hoping for.

And why do they call the non-humanoid races the 'sundry' races? Arguably one of my favourite things about the Mass Effect Universe is the diversity of sapient species, like the Hanar.
    Do most people in the wider fandom just prefer stories about and/or centred around the humanoid species? Boring! I prefer sci-fi that's weirder/more unexpected than that.

I'm only like 70 pages in so I can't speak for the plot yet, but the writer definitely put some thought into how an ark housing several different species would function. I like the characters so far. One of the protagonists is Elcor! It hadn't occurred to me that a Mass Effect book could describe micro-gestures and smells that only Elchor perceive, but of course it can.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Did Andromeda take place in the far future compared to the rest of Mass Effect?

The ships leave at the same time as the start of ME2 and arrive in Andromeda some 600 years later.

There are some videos on youtube from ME:A
    That are from your dad documenting all the communications from the ME1-3 galaxy as you departed.

The reapers invade and the shit hits the fan as we all know

Edit:

https://youtu.be/iUZKc8E3fNk

Karl on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I would think if you were in stasis that long you would mutate.

Game quest
    Some of the Ark crew got brain damage in cryo. Which is why you face so many as enemies in the game.

Also (lore)
    The Krogan used the cryo time for anti-genophage Gene therapy.
    It worked.

sig.gif
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Hmmm, just looked up the synopsis for that book about the Quarian ark, the plot (a bio-weapon threat) sounds a lot less interesting than I was hoping for.

And why do they call the non-humanoid races the 'sundry' races? Arguably one of my favourite things about the Mass Effect Universe is the diversity of sapient species, like the Hanar.
    Do most people in the wider fandom just prefer stories about and/or centred around the humanoid species? Boring! I prefer sci-fi that's weirder/more unexpected than that.

I'm only like 70 pages in so I can't speak for the plot yet, but the writer definitely put some thought into how an ark housing several different species would function. I like the characters so far. One of the protagonists is Elcor! It hadn't occurred to me that a Mass Effect book could describe micro-gestures and smells that only Elchor perceive, but of course it can.
    Cool. I will definitely pick it up sometime soon. :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    As much as I personally want them to follow some smaller character stories for the next Mass Effect game, I want them to commit to polishing the exploration elements for a direct sequel to Andromeda. (I also want them to open the announcement with another Johnny Cash track, like, I dunno Redemption Day or something, just to show us how shit's going to get real with the Ryders)

edited November 2018
    Speaking of model ships...

"In honor of the 11th annual N7 Day, Dark Horse Direct and BioWare are pleased to reveal the Mass Efffect: Andromeda Tempest Ship 18' Replica!"

I'm guessing that someone didn't hit the shift key in the announcement, because I heavily doubt the model is 18 feet long.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

"In honor of the 11th annual N7 Day, Dark Horse Direct and BioWare are pleased to reveal the Mass Efffect: Andromeda Tempest Ship 18' Replica!"

I'm guessing that someone didn't hit the shift key in the announcement, because I heavily doubt the model is 18 feet long.

Holy shit that's nice.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

At least then it wouldn't be in serious danger of being trod on by dwarfs.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Great now I'm imagining a Tempest you can use as a real boat.

...shut up and take my money!

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

tbh if it was I might consider it just for the laughs

HappylilElf on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Have any Andromeda assets been ripped back into ME3?

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It would be neat if we got an unofficial patch for Andromeda.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dang I wish I had a disposable income because I would buy the shit out of that Tempest.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That is a super pretty thing, why only 500 though? WHY ONLY 500??!??!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That's a gorgeous ship, but $250 US plus shipping? Too rich for my blood.

I've pondered getting an Apex patch, perhaps for my day to day bag. Had the game in general (and Multiplayer in specific) taken off like ME3's did, the next coin I was pondering getting made was for Apex. I just think it's a pretty badass name/insignia, but I don't think the demand would exist in nearly the same quantities, and challenge coins basically must be arranged in bulk (100-200+) to keep them affordable, at least with the company I've worked with.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Frem wrote: »

Apparently he's also a fan of (minorest of minor spoilers, but just to be on the safe side)
    a certain elcor edition of a certain play that we all know and love.

His name is also an allusion to that.

And with that, I know this will be a good Mass Effect book.

Jazz on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I started a Mass Effect series replay a month or so back but didn't get far before I was distracted by other things.

I finally got around to picking back up where I left off on Noveria. A minute later my Mako is upside down and on fire. Whoops.

Working as intended.

sig.gif
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    HpOL6zT.png

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    ME1 is complete. I'm mostly interested in replaying ME2 and 3, so I rushed through 1 and only did a handful of side quests.

Mass Effect is a rough game to go back to. It does an excellent job at establishing a universe and invoking the imaginations of players, but it feels bland in comparison to the sequels.

But that "from the rubble" sequence at the end of the game? Gets me every time. The musical score is perfectly timed and Shepard has the smuggest grin imaginable.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The walk along the outside of the Citadel elvator is still one of my favorite moments

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    ME1 is complete. I'm mostly interested in replaying ME2 and 3, so I rushed through 1 and only did a handful of side quests.

Mass Effect is a rough game to go back to. It does an excellent job at establishing a universe and invoking the imaginations of players, but it feels bland in comparison to the sequels.

But that "from the rubble" sequence at the end of the game? Gets me every time. The musical score is perfectly timed and Shepard has the smuggest grin imaginable.

I wanted to do this my last full series playthrough*, but I found myself too concerned about missing the 30s callback in subsequent games.

*right before playing Andromeda which definitely negatively impacted my opinion of that game.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »

I wanted to do this my last full series playthrough*, but I found myself too concerned about missing the 30s callback in subsequent games.

*right before playing Andromeda which definitely negatively impacted my opinion of that game.

The only mandatory sidequest is on the moon base. It’s not worth it to comb the citidel for keepers just for an e-mail in the next game.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I recommend just adjusting your save after ME1. A full blown Conrad Verner run is a biiiit much these days.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Or you could spend 21 hours playing through everything in Mass Effect 1 like I just did a few months ago. Always Be Playing Mass Effect

It's neat that Mass Effect 1, despite not calling them that, absolutely had loyalty missions.

Of course, they weren't necessary for anything outside of some (optional) character development, but they were still good to have.

sig.gif
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Really digging my time this weekend with Andromeda. I got as far as
    pulling a Total Recall on EOS. Drack's intro was awesome. So far he seems like "cookie cutter commando" Krogan guy, but I'm pretty sure he'll have a near permanent slot in my away team. Peebee seems fun, too.
    All the characters are great and I'm looking forward to digging into their history and stories and how they fit into the all the Nexus drama. Having fun just running around and exploring, too. The only real bug I've encountered so far is the occasional baddy freezing in place and allowing me to shoot them repeatedly in the head until they die.

Overall, best $12 I've spent in quite some time.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Drack is my favorite Krogan companion you get in any of the ME games.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I know I was confused about this--the surprising Xbox One X enhancement for Mass Effect Andromeda does, in fact, raise resolution substantially. So anyone who has one, and was looking for an excuse to give Andromeda another try, like me, here's your chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbfbBB6QcSE&t=0s

It's not all that impressive a visual leap, just bringing it up to the level of the Playstation 4 Pro, but it's something, and performance is a lot more solid apparently.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Off hand, I really enjoyed the loyalty missions in Andromeda. Even for characters I wasn't a fan of, they were solid experiences for the most part. Not flawless, but as good as (or better than) I expected.

The pacing issue of having them potentially separated by 10+ hours of faffing about on various worlds looking for rocks and people's missing jewelry or whatever didn't help it though. I think I sank more hours into ME:A than a combined playthrough time for any 2 previous games, but the peaks were diluted by lengthier times without a goal or purpose. Which is fine for many people, but not the experience I wanted. Even ME1's occasionally annoying 'screw you game, the Mako can totally traverse this nearly vertical knife edge ridge' moment didn't interrupt things quite like that aspect did.

I think one of my larger complaints was actually fixed eventually, with the game updating dialogue options to indicate when new things were available to discuss. I originally decided I wanted to romance
    Cora, completed her Loyalty Mission, where things seemed to go pretty well, but then.. she really didn't seem to have anything to add to our connection for a good 10+ hours of gameplay. Conversely, Peebee was like "hey, get in my escape pod, if you know what I mean, no strings attached" and grew on me over time from there. Ended up staying with her through the game, and her own Loyalty Mission got some solid laughs.

It was an interesting experience, in a way the game and characters swayed me from my original intent in a way I appreciated, but it was also facilitated by a remarkably long period between advances in the character connection I wanted to develop, and even longer periods of wandering about random planets fending off the occasional battle and Sudoku challenge.

I'm sure others had this experience as well, I doubt I'm treading a ton of new ground, but whenever I think back to the highlights of that game, even where they were truly immersive and impressive experiences, they also include exacerbating factors around them. Even as someone who didn't really dig into the game for a month or so after release (despite having Early Access and everything, it was a busy time), meaning a lot of the initial rush of fixes and patches had come through (with some solid Quality of Life elements added mid playthrough on top of that), it still struggled with pacing, in part due to the less curated experience presented, at least based on my preferences and expectations (which, again, I don't expect everyone to share).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    You took Drack on Peebee's loyalty mission, right?

sig.gif
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I don't remember who I took on PBs loyalty mission, was there something special about taking Drack along?

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I don't remember who I took on PBs loyalty mission, was there something special about taking Drack along?
    The escape pod safety harness doesn't fit krogans.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Basically take Drack everywhere, always worth it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    I have one lithograph from the ME series and it's totally Drack

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I liked everyone but Liam and Jaal. Liam because he was annoying and wouldn't ever put on a shirt (this is still a job bud). Jaal was just a casualty of me not finding the angora interesting at all.

Drack and Cora were my mains (as I was romancing Cora), but Peebee and Vetra swapped in for Cora to keep dialog fresh.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I liked everyone but Liam and Jaal. Liam because he was annoying and wouldn't ever put on a shirt (this is still a job bud). Jaal was just a casualty of me not finding the angora interesting at all.

Drack and Cora were my mains (as I was romancing Cora), but Peebee and Vetra swapped in for Cora to keep dialog fresh.

I didn't like Liam much but I think he possibly had the best loyalty mission.

This discussion has been closed.