As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect Andromeda] Shepard may get a day, but Ryder gets a planet.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Yeah, I may have never played ME3, but I've seen enough clips and learned of some of the various endings, so I'm mainly just seeking confirmation. I probably will do multiplayer eventually just to get the cheevos.

but yeah there was a reason I put the word, best, in quotes based on what I had heard.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Video games condition you to think the harder an ending is to unlock, the better it is.

I couldn't break that mindset the first time I played Mass Effect 3 (on Wii U), which left me somewhat unsatisfied. When I finally got around to doing a full trilogy playthrough on PC, I enjoyed my ending choice much more.

• Options
    The except to that are the Dark Souls and Armored Core games, where all of the choices lead to different kinds of horrible, but they're all bad. Without exception.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Yeah, I may have never played ME3, but I've seen enough clips and learned of some of the various endings, so I'm mainly just seeking confirmation. I probably will do multiplayer eventually just to get the cheevos.

but yeah there was a reason I put the word, best, in quotes based on what I had heard.

Eff that noise...

Reject ending forever!

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Just know that, in the end, you choose your ending by walking towards it (literally). Apparently, many players picked the "middle" ending simply because they didn't realize the other endings required you to make a slight turn down a fork in the road.

You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I had promoted enough engineers in me3 multi to have max war readiness without doing a single mission in the single player.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Seeing this thread pop up has reminded me it's about that time for a rainy winter play through of the trilogy.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    If I didn't have the Citadel and Leviathan DLC still to do, I could probably finish tonight. Just got done with Rannoch...so good :) Just got the Master and Commander achievement too, which surprised me. I had read somewhere that you had to raise galactic readiness to some level in order to get that, regardless of how many war assets you had.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    If I didn't have the Citadel and Leviathan DLC still to do, I could probably finish tonight. Just got done with Rannoch...so good :) Just got the Master and Commander achievement too, which surprised me. I had read somewhere that you had to raise galactic readiness to some level in order to get that, regardless of how many war assets you had.

Worth noting: there comes a point where you won't be able to do Citadel or Leviathan (without going back to an earlier save), and it comes not too long after Rannoch - canonically, they take place before the end of the game. (IIRC, you have to get them in before taking the Mission Priority that comes up after Thessia Horizon, although mentioning its actual name is a small spoiler so I won't.)

Although a good way to play, with Citadel especially, is actually to skip it your first time through, and go back to play it later, as it's such a fantastic farewell to the trilogy despite not being the chronological end.

Jazz on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Citadel is one big sendoff to the fans. It's delightful, but tonally so different than the ending you'll get a case of whiplash if you play it on your first time through.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Yeah, Citadel is one big sendoff to the fans. It's delightful, but tonally so different than the ending you'll get a case of whiplash if you play it on your first time through.

Think of it as the equivalent of a lighthearted "making of" documentary of the movie you just watched, or a blooper reel.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

Good point about the tonal whiplash. That too.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    My head cannon is one of the fan edit endings with Citadel as shore leave afterwards.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    My recommendation would be to have a save right before the Priority: Earth. Play through the game, then go back to that save and play Citadel. Snicker at all the in-jokes and have a good time. Realize it's the Mass Effect writers, actors and developers saying goodbye.
    It's been a good ride.
    The best.

• Options
    Shepard wrote:
    Do I really sound like that?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    [REDACTED] was really a great villain.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    have a save right before the Priority: Earth

The point of no return is before that.

• Options

Yup. I couldn't name it because it's a (minor) spoiler but it's the one immediately after Priority: Horizon (which follows Thessia).

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Yup. I couldn't name it because it's a (minor) spoiler but it's the one immediately after Priority: Horizon (which follows Thessia).

Ah, I've forgotten. Thanks for the correction.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    hey what's the name of the music that plays when you're speaking to the asari councilor when she tells you to go to Thessia? It's the same music that plays when you first bring Javik on board. almost as good as the ilos combat music.

EDIT: n/m. found it. From Ashes Score: Contact Protocol

VoodooV on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Shepard wrote:

I should go.

I should go.

I should go.

I should go.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Shepard wrote:

I should go.

I should go.

I should go.

I should go.
    Shepard.

Grunt.

Shepard.

Wrex.

Commander Shepard.

Shepard Shepard Shepard.

Wrex, Grunt.

Sheparrrd.

Sheparrrrrrrd.

Shepard.

Shepard?

Grunt.

Shepard!

Wrex.

Commander Shepard.

Shepard Shepard Shepard.

Wrex, Grunt.

Sheparrrrd.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    God, Wrex was the best.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'd probably play Citadel whenever. It's tonally different enough that yeah sure walk it through your headcanon if it really hurts that much, but at the end of the day it's well written enough that you could place it basically anywhere in the time frame the game allows you to play it at
    So I'm finally playing ME3 for the first time. (Loved the heck out of ME1, but initially didn't like ME2, so that soured me on playing 3 and so I'm finally playing the entire trilogy) I'm getting ready to do Priority Rannoch so I'm thinking about what I need to get for the end and wasn't sure if I need to do Multiplayer to get the best ending.

Is the Wiki right that I only need 3100+ EMS to get the 'best' ending. And that the 'best' ending is destroy?

Yeah it was definitely rebalanced at some point that you don't really need to play Multiplayer in order to get the optimal versions of the endings. Back at launch you basically had to be an active completionist but nowadays as long as you do a good chunk of the side stuff you'd probably be ready long before endgame, even more so if you play Multiplayer (which is a good shot!)

The other main thing I remember playing at launch was the infinitely spawning Banshees and Brutes at the very last combat encounter of the game. Literal Insanity. *shudder*

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    I'd probably play Citadel whenever. It's tonally different enough that yeah sure walk it through your headcanon if it really hurts that much, but at the end of the day it's well written enough that you could place it basically anywhere in the time frame the game allows you to play it at

Remember, you only get access to all the characters fairly late though. And you want access to all the characters before you play Citadel. Yes, including the ME2 ones.
    The other main thing I remember playing at launch was the infinitely spawning Banshees and Brutes at the very last combat encounter of the game. Literal Insanity. *shudder*

So I'm not nuts. Last time I played (years ago) I remember it being much easier than I had remembered. I was thinking maybe it was all the multi. Well probably that too, but it sounds like they nerfed the shit out of it too.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Good point about the tonal whiplash. That too.

Honestly I did not have to much problem with the tonal change. The whole thing clearly was a bunch of friends realizing they are about to do something that's more than likely to kill all of them horribly so they are all just screwing around and joking because they all realize this is probably their last best day together.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    TFW you replay 20 minutes of firefight because you missed a post-battle paragon interrupt.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My canon is to do the high energy, forget our problems citadel party before the end of the game, then go back and do the chill, relaxed "well we made it" party after having finished the game.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So I'm not nuts. Last time I played (years ago) I remember it being much easier than I had remembered. I was thinking maybe it was all the multi. Well probably that too, but it sounds like they nerfed the shit out of it too.

It was fucking brutal. There were other things, like where painting the target on the final boss on Rannoch required millisecond precision sprinting to dodge the lasers and the margin for reaction was almost nothing (and I'm pretty sure the player needed to do it more times at the game's launch). But the final battle of the game really shits me at the time because at some point in the fight the "press button in environment to progress" cue appears but unless the player is keeping tabs the only thing they can focus on are the infinitely spawning enemies so after a while it was like... "am I supposed to fucking do something else?"
    Up until that point there is pretty much no other time in the game where killing all the enemies in the arena doesn't lead to progression, so I was conditioned to be like "okay 2 Banshees and 3 Brutes, shit-ton of Ravagers and Marauders but we'll make it work" but after killing them they just keep coming back

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    On the good side, it definitely led to the right level of OH SHIT THIS SITUATION IS FUCKED SHIT SHIT SHIT, which was appropriate for the moment.

Hard as hell though.

• Options
    Yeah, playing the game on Insanity at launch may not have been the best choice.

Nice looking achievement badge though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The part about the ending of ME3 that got to me was that after the bit with the elusive man, it's clear that anderson and shepherd are dying and there is this really touching bit where they talk about the view and how they're gonna rest there.

And you know, if the game had ended there with the Catalyst doing a thing and stopping the reapers I'd have been fine with it. Hell, I'd have probably applauded the ending as being a simple and beautiful ending to the trilogy.

Instead we got a borderline incoherent bit with starchild that left me so confused and baffled that I thought I was seeing the Mass relays snuffing out dozens of systems and hearing buzz aldrin talk to some brat about Commander Shepherd in front of a rock.

• Options
    LOTS OF SPECULATION really was the beginning of the end for Bioware.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It’s crazy to realize that in a few months, ME2 will be a decade old.

The costuming group I’m a part of is looking to do another challenge coin celebrating this fact, so that’s a fun project to work on for a little bit.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Lair of the Shadow Broker really is the best part of ME2. Especially if you had a relationship with Liara in ME1 and especially when you go back and start reading all of the dossiers.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Lair of the Shadow Broker really is the best part of ME2. Especially if you had a relationship with Liara in ME1 and especially when you go back and start reading all of the dossiers.

"Truck. TRUCK!"

"I KNOW"

Lair of the Shadow Broker is so good.

• Options
    "It has a fare meter."

Single best Paragon Interrupt still goes to Overlord though.
    Pistol-whipping Dr. Archer for what he did to his brother.

sig.gif
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Shepard wrote:

I should go.

I should go.

I should go.

I should go.
    Shepard.

Grunt.

Shepard.

Wrex.

Commander Shepard.

Shepard Shepard Shepard.

Wrex, Grunt.

Sheparrrd.

Sheparrrrrrrd.

Shepard.

Shepard?

Grunt.

Shepard!

Wrex.

Commander Shepard.

Shepard Shepard Shepard.

Wrex, Grunt.

Sheparrrrd.

I don't remember seeing that one. I may have made the worst mistake. Not sitting in the chair.

• Options
    Someday I will play ME2 and manage the ultimate achievement -- never having to scoop a bunch of dead fish out of the aquarium.

This discussion has been closed.