As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect Andromeda] Shepard may get a day, but Ryder gets a planet.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I would rather have Vorcha in the Andromeda galaxy than Batarians.

You could say... they are a blight.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    On Rannoch, years after the end of the war, the reaper corpse is the halfway point of one of the most popular hikes on the reaper war memorial pilgrimage.

Visitors flock every year to it, to marvel at the sheer size of it, the idea that anyone, any thing could take on something this size and win seems ludicrous, like a children’s story.

The hike takes you along the path that it’s beams carved into the earth and stone on the planet, still scorched and crumbling years afterwards.

The hike culminates in one long, hard climb up to a ridge, where the marks of the beams carve hard long scars into the cliff face. Barely a square yard of the rock is untouched.

On the edge of the cliff, in the empty V formed by two beams to either side, stands a life-sized statue of Commander Shepard. It is dwarfed by the reaper corpse in the distance.

On the base of the statue, the inscription simply reads “In The Face Of Overwhelming Odds.”

Source.

edit: bonus Garrus pic

tumblr_inline_oq5rrxUMdT1syf8qt_540.png

edit edit: Bonus Andromeda dialog:

[morning after movie night]

Ryder: Oh my god. I’m so hungover.

Liam: I feel great. I ran a 5k this morning.

Ryder: Really?

Liam: No, I threw up in the shower.

source.

Orca on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I love how fandom has basically made the entire crew of the Tempest a complete mess.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I love how fandom has basically made the entire crew of the Tempest a complete mess.

Check out the rest of Incorrect Mass Effect Andromeda's posts. They're hilarious.
    Ryder: I can’t go. The stress is bad for the baby.

Vetra: What baby?

Ryder: Me…

Ryder: Hey, I got us friendship bracelets!

Jaal: Nice! Put it on me.

Ryder: [handcuffs herself to Jaal]

[chatting with the mayor on Eos, watching someone in the distance dying in the radiated landscape]

Cora: That person is an idiot.

Cora: …

Cora, realizing it’s Ryder: Shit that’s our idiot.

Some rando on the Nexus walking by talking on their private comms: …and they were roommates

Ryder, recording them on her omnitool: Oh My God They Were Roommates

Suvi has a lot of qualities I find horrifying, but the worst one by far is how thoughtful she can be.

- Cora, probably

“You’ll have to excuse these two. They’re themselves today.”

– Alec Ryder to the Hyperion crew about the twins

Ryder: Oh Cora, do you have to look at everything in such a negative light?

Cora: You mean the harsh light of reality?

I'm going to cut myself off here before I post all of them.

edit: last one, for real this time

Ryder: Am I in trouble, then?

Director Tann: Have a guess.

Ryder: No?

Director Tann: Have another guess.

Orca on
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    On Rannoch, years after the end of the war, the reaper corpse is the halfway point of one of the most popular hikes on the reaper war memorial pilgrimage.

Visitors flock every year to it, to marvel at the sheer size of it, the idea that anyone, any thing could take on something this size and win seems ludicrous, like a children’s story.

The hike takes you along the path that it’s beams carved into the earth and stone on the planet, still scorched and crumbling years afterwards.

The hike culminates in one long, hard climb up to a ridge, where the marks of the beams carve hard long scars into the cliff face. Barely a square yard of the rock is untouched.

On the edge of the cliff, in the empty V formed by two beams to either side, stands a life-sized statue of Commander Shepard. It is dwarfed by the reaper corpse in the distance.

On the base of the statue, the inscription simply reads “In The Face Of Overwhelming Odds.”

Source.

Takes on a rather narcissistic context if you picked blue ending.

"ReaperShep erected this monument to his former self's victory over his other former self."

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Source.

"ReaperShep erected this monument to his former self's victory over his other former self."

Well, if you took the blue ending... that sounds about right, yeah.

Also, at my new job we've been given various training tasks and one of them was "create a text file on this virtual server you created and put some sort of message in it." My text file was MassEffect.txt and the message was "Commander Shepard sez: Always be charging."

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I think we can all agree that blue ending has the most comedy potential.

Unless you believe the headcanon that green ending means anything can reproduce with anything, in which case nothing will ever be funnier than that future.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I want to see Reaper Shepard try to do the dance

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Source.

I think we have a canon ending!

Fake edit: Also, hiking around a reaper corpse seems like a spectacularly bad idea. Even a dead reaper indoctrinates.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

Source.

I think we have a canon ending!

Fake edit: Also, hiking around a reaper corpse seems like a spectacularly bad idea. Even a dead reaper indoctrinates.

Get out of here with your logic

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Well theoretically speaking all 3 endings would render indoctrination non-functional (the Destroy ending would make that especially poignant)

Unless Reaper-Shepard was still into that kink

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular

So are those visitors to the memorial slowly Indoctrinating themselves year after year? A couple of dozen years and a cult of these people will be assembling a new Reaper somewhere out in deep space.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    If they're quarians, not to worry. They'll die to incompetence and idiocy on the hike back after deciding to declare war on an electric fence and engage in melee.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    If they're quarians, not to worry. They'll die to incompetence and idiocy on the hike back after deciding to declare war on an electric fence and engage in melee.

By that token, the memorial doesn't even exist. The council never takes action on anything that has to do with reapers.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ok, finally finished the game. Had 850 XP to go until I hit 60, lol. Almost made it. Before I go into spoilers, I will say that there was a lot left on the table for DLC and sequels, so in that regard, I'm sad there won't be anything else in Andromeda.
    The actual final mission was kinda meh, for me though. Just run around and activate some terminals was almost ME 1 levels of final mission. Other than that, I really liked the setting. The final memory and logs show that the Reapers are at Earth and they might be the only Milky Way people alive, kinda puts a new emphasis on making sure this shit works. I never managed to make the movie night happen, or the end of the reporter quest. And it was funny, I flirted with everybody, but only PB wanted to put out, so too bad, slackers. Early bird gets the... Whatever, lol.
    I'm sure I'll think of more as it rolls around in my head, but these were just the ones that popped up fresh, so to speak.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Those two sidequests should be complete-able at any point, so doing them after you're done with the main story is possible.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Those two sidequests should be complete-able at any point, so doing them after you're done with the main story is possible.

Yeah, my own personal movie night ended up as a post-game quest. And TBH that actually felt appropriate. (And, now that the plug has been pulled, kind of bittersweet.)

• Options
    So, apparently Scott is the most weeb character in Andromeda. We all thought it was Cora, but no.

See, I had an Asari Sword equipped in my layout, and I wanted to make a better one, so I had to swap to something else because [INSERT CRAFTING DANCE BULLSHIT HERE]. I did so, and when I got back to Ryder himself, he was on the ground in front of the weapons locker, unmoving. I could move the camera, but Scott did not budge. Nothing in-game could jar him from his shock, even giving him back his beloved blade. I knew people grew attached to their weapons, but that's ridiculous.

(Closing/Opening the game again fixed it.)

sig.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Andromeda's down to sub-$17 new on Amazon, so if you were holding out, there you go.

Also that means we can likely forget about more Mass Effect stuff anytime soon.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Andromeda's down to sub-$17 new on Amazon, so if you were holding out, there you go.

Also that means we can likely forget about more Mass Effect stuff anytime soon.

This sucks. :(

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    $13? I might swing that. It would at least give me the chance to form my own opinion.

Is there anyway to play the game unpatched?

• Options
    On a console without an internet connection, probably. PC version never got a legit physical copy, just a box with an Origin code inside.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Jeez that's super cheap. I'm close to buying it just for the sake of seeing whether it does in fact improve after the first part that people say is the worst...

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It's totally worth < $15 unless you despised the opening or something.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    This is the first bioware game that I abandoned before finishing, but it's still worth checking out at that price.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a great value for the game. It's a 7/10, and def worth the pickup at that price.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    "Despised" might be a little strong, but I definitely strongly disliked it. Everything was terrible.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've paid a lot more for games that I liked a lot less, but obviously YMMV.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Yeah, Rule #1 for Mass Effect: Andromeda is

Get
    The Fuck
    Off
    Eos.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Yeah, Rule #1 for Mass Effect: Andromeda is

Get
    The Fuck
    Off
    Eos.

Rule #1.5
    Immediately go back for Drax
    Then get the fuck back off again.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    "Despised" might be a little strong, but I definitely strongly disliked it. Everything was terrible.

It gets better. Not a lot better, but some things improve. I played the ten hour thing and felt pretty unconvinced but day 1'ed it because I'm a junkie, but whereas you can overlook or forgive some major flaws in games if the sum is worth it (Elder Scrolls games, for example), Andromeda never really sold me and compounding issues burned out charitable reading.

Despite that, still worth $13 in my book.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    You can finish the game in ~10 hours if you like it just enough to want to see the main story beats.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Sailor Kaidan anybody?

http://garrus.tumblr.com/post/165904217092/artsyneurotic-biotic-kaidan-alenko-power-up

tumblr_np89kxheDn1uuv3wvo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nl58ynwulX1rwbv1yo1_1280.jpg

and finally, looks like someone's made some Mass Effect ugly sweaters...

tumblr_owx4vs3Hmc1r6pazeo2_1280.jpg

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    That is an awesome sweater, lol.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Did the thing, and now my run with Scott Ryder is over. So now I can officially put Mass Effect: Andromeda to bed and never play this franchise again because BioWare doesn't know what the fuck it's doing, apparently.

100% Game completion (yes, including untrackables), but 99% Heleus Cluster Map, because fuck me, that's why. Romanced Cora, flirted with Reyes right up until The Kadara Choice though.

Headcanon was that I played the twins as a "What If?" for each other. Which means that my Scott and Sara playthroughs are the same universe, just with one twin being The One instead of the other. So some choices were the same, and others were vastly different. Complete opposite to the Original Trilogy, where each Shepard was their own galaxy. Both siblings grabbed all the model ships and pets, because staring at those empty spaces on the ship was killing me.

And the end result, spoilered because big.
    bAfF75M.jpg

This is what ~100% twice gets you, which is about 5 or so levels higher than if you skip the untrackables. Who knows if you'd hit either level cap on a NG++ though. I leave that to someone else.

edit: Yes, I did enjoy myself, but there's a certain irritation when you're playing a game that's depending on a sequel when it's been announced that there's none coming.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    @Strikor and I were watching a film tonight, of which it would probably be a spoiler for me to name, and in the midst of some Bioware jokes we determined that they should really make, "Fuck you, Space Dad" as their next RPG. That is all.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    of which it would probably be a spoiler for me to name,

Would it be presumptuous to ask when the baby is due ?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Update: the game's down to less than $13 on Amazon.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    It's also going to be added to EA Access soon if you're subbed to that.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    of which it would probably be a spoiler for me to name,

Would it be presumptuous to ask when the baby is due ?

I assume this is a reference to something I don't get.

But if it's not: Son, I'm nearly 40, I ain't got no plans to birth a child. If we ever decide to have one we'll adopt.

This discussion has been closed.