As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FPS Modding

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Quake, Unreal, Source and Half life, that is what I mainly hear when I hear people talk about modding. I have this idea I want to start working on and someday publish. I know this takes a lot of work and knowledge so I am starting now, the question is, what should I begin practicing with.

I half HL2 and Source right now and can get Garry's mod to fiddle with but is U3 the next big thing. What I really am looking for is an engine that can handle a lot of people in one area at one time (like 50 to 100 at most).

Just, what are the advantages of U3 and Source and disadvantages, which one would be best for a rookie to learn and get great with?

RoyceSraphim on

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can't really say much about either the source engine or the U3 engine, I havn't had much experience with them.

If you are completely new, though, I would suggest something like the reactor engine(Battlefield series, though they may call it something else these days), or the Xray engine(STALKER). Both of them have lots of scripting, that's fairly easy to understand, and mod. It helped me learn how a lot of things work in game development, without learning a coding language first.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118