As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fenlore needs help - Lock this thread

2

Posts

  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Paladin wrote:
    pheezer wrote:
    Paladin wrote:
    No matter who he is, you really shouldn't just leave the ban on. I mean, how exactly should he have gone about trying to get unbanned? People get less time for trolling.

    You say that now, but just wait. One day you'll be mad with power and then you'll understand.
    Fine pheezer, you're the boss and you know what's best for us here comes the chopper 2+2=5 etc.

    How many lights are there?

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • CainCain Registered User, ClubPA
    edited September 2004
    fenlore wrote:
    Johnny 5 is alive.
    hahaha

    oh goddammit i google johnny 5 and i totally got a nice shot of penis

    Cain on
  • FenloreFenlore Registered User
    edited September 2004
    I was talkin bout the robot from the Short Circuit movies, and KungFu and Paladin, thanks for your support. It's not that I'm addicted to the net I just have a short attention span and the less distractions the better.

    Fenlore on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I doubt the end would have been different had we not intervened. You can only milk this stuff for so long.

    And I'm changing my title again.

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Wait, why do people want fenlore unbanned?

    They're homofags.

    Did I mention I love you and I want to marry you?
    I think I've said it before.

    Also, fenlore sucks.

    Keep him banned.

    The Cheese on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2004
    I <3 The Cheese.

    Unknown User on
  • FenloreFenlore Registered User
    edited September 2004
    Can I be unjailed too, for time served banned.

    And pheezer, for the next 3 times I doubt you I won't say a thing because you unbanned me.

    Fenlore on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    It's funny, because I unbanned him like a couple hours ago.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I don't undestand why Monkey Den has suddenly turned into a place to beg for your privilages being returned.

    Man people, I thought you knew it's a place for me to suggest that I be a deputy.

    I should be.

    :lol:

    Jasconius on
  • CainCain Registered User, ClubPA
    edited September 2004
    fenlore wrote:
    I was talkin bout the robot from the Short Circuit movies, and KungFu and Paladin, thanks for your support. It's not that I'm addicted to the net I just have a short attention span and the less distractions the better.
    oh

    i know

    but google doesn't know the difference between a humourous robot and a penis

    Cain on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Jasconius wrote:
    I don't undestand why Monkey Den has suddenly turned into a place to beg for your privilages being returned.

    Man people, I thought you knew it's a place for me to suggest that I be a deputy.

    I should be.

    :lol:
    The deputy phase is gone, this is a bit different of a case, and you need your avatar resized.

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    It's not resizable!

    And the word is secondary to the avatar.

    So.

    Jasconius on
  • FenloreFenlore Registered User
    edited September 2004
    here jasconius, so can use my bandwidth, I resized the pic and it looks good.

    http://fenlore.250free.com/guy.JPG

    Fenlore on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I have walagata. Same old same old.

    Jasconius on
  • FenloreFenlore Registered User
    edited September 2004
    either way.

    Fenlore on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    29330.jpg

    As I have said many times before, JPEG=TEH SUCK.

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    fenlore wrote:
    either way.
    Viola.

    At least its legible now.

    That's an awesome movie.

    I gotta rent it. Haven't seen it in 4 years.

    Jasconius on
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    It's funny, because I unbanned him like a couple hours ago.
    I'm going to be so rough on our honeymoon.

    The Cheese on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2004
    :x

    Unknown User on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    You keep forgetting that he wasn't banned as punishment in the first place.

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I love you too Drizzt. <3

    The Cheese on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Paladin wrote:
    There is such a thing in psychology as an internet addiction, but that's only recognized because there are extreme cases. Orthanc, this fenlore probably had enough willpower to actually recognize the conflict between studying and the forums but not enough to quit outright. Several people that do not ask for temp bans, remember, are the ones that refuse to recognize a growing addiction and sacrifice their grades and/or lives because of it. I think self-banning is a good practice for those of us who are not accustomed to cold-turkeying and need a little push - I think there was a maxim that said, to some effect, that a locked door is the best defense against temptation. I sincerely hope that you do not consider these people inferior and look down upon them, because I'm sure you have your share of weaknesses that cross the line of humorous exploitation. Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I really believe that fenlore should be unbanned and this thread forgotten (If that hasn't happened already).

    On an unrelated note, I fail to see the humor in leaving fenlore banned, but that is probably because I'm not really thinking right now, and my wit is very dull.

    First off. We all knew that whatever was said in this thread, he was hardly going to stay banned for ever.

    Secondly, only psycological addiction to the internet is possible. If someone is unable to overcome that addiction by themself, they have bigger problems than an internet addiciton. And as I said, anyone who is unable to study without being banned from the forums, is just going to turn on the TV, load up a game or some other form of procrastination. If they're able to avoid that, they would have been able to stop coming to the forums for a day or two.

    If I'm reading this thread correctly, he asked for a 24 hour ban. 24 hours is not going to make fuck all difference on a test or any assignment large enough to warnent him asking for the ban.

    Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • DinostatorDinostator Registered User
    edited September 2004
    Riotcow asked for a 7 hour tempban once right?

    Dinostator on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Paladin wrote:
    There is such a thing in psychology as an internet addiction, but that's only recognized because there are extreme cases. Orthanc, this fenlore probably had enough willpower to actually recognize the conflict between studying and the forums but not enough to quit outright. Several people that do not ask for temp bans, remember, are the ones that refuse to recognize a growing addiction and sacrifice their grades and/or lives because of it. I think self-banning is a good practice for those of us who are not accustomed to cold-turkeying and need a little push - I think there was a maxim that said, to some effect, that a locked door is the best defense against temptation. I sincerely hope that you do not consider these people inferior and look down upon them, because I'm sure you have your share of weaknesses that cross the line of humorous exploitation. Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I really believe that fenlore should be unbanned and this thread forgotten (If that hasn't happened already).

    On an unrelated note, I fail to see the humor in leaving fenlore banned, but that is probably because I'm not really thinking right now, and my wit is very dull.

    First off. We all knew that whatever was said in this thread, he was hardly going to stay banned for ever.

    Secondly, only psycological addiction to the internet is possible. If someone is unable to overcome that addiction by themself, they have bigger problems than an internet addiciton. And as I said, anyone who is unable to study without being banned from the forums, is just going to turn on the TV, load up a game or some other form of procrastination. If they're able to avoid that, they would have been able to stop coming to the forums for a day or two.

    If I'm reading this thread correctly, he asked for a 24 hour ban. 24 hours is not going to make fuck all difference on a test or any assignment large enough to warnent him asking for the ban.
    The thing about the internet, different from television or video games, though, is the fact that you interact with other people on it. Therefore, you always get new stimulating material, and don't just stop because of ennui. For instance, I have somewhat the same problem, except that my computer has an inconveniently long startup time, which is a deterrent from me turning it on. If my computer is not on, I am a fountain of productivity. That isn't the same situation as television or video games - even if I'm not bored to death, I'll still visit the internet, unlike television where I only watch it if there is a treat scheduled. Psychologically, the internet feeds the need of social stimulation, eradicating a lump of the reason you go out to interact with people, and that's why it's a different class of addiction than other forms of procrastination.

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2004
    Internet contact doesn't really bear any resemblance to a real social life.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Paladin wrote:
    The thing about the internet, different from television or video games, though, is the fact that you interact with other people on it. Therefore, you always get new stimulating material, and don't just stop because of ennui. For instance, I have somewhat the same problem, except that my computer has an inconveniently long startup time, which is a deterrent from me turning it on. If my computer is not on, I am a fountain of productivity. That isn't the same situation as television or video games - even if I'm not bored to death, I'll still visit the internet, unlike television where I only watch it if there is a treat scheduled. Psychologically, the internet feeds the need of social stimulation, eradicating a lump of the reason you go out to interact with people, and that's why it's a different class of addiction than other forms of procrastination.

    You comparing a different situation. Yes people can substitute the internet for real human contact, and that is bad. But that is a different situation from needing to settle down and study.

    If someone was actually addicted to the internet at the level you suggest, then I have no problem helping them break out with a ban. But it should be a permanant ban, at the very least a hell of a lot longer than 24 hours. Fenlore may well suffer that level of "internet"addiction, I'm not one to say, but it's clear he was not asking to be banned to combat his debilitating internet addicition, he was asking to be banned for one day to study. A non internet anolog would be to ask a club bouncer not to let you in tommorow because you have a big test the next day.

    Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    The club bouncer analogy fits better than the jail analogy, but that case is easier than this one, because it's really not the bouncer's business to plan for the betterment of the group the bouncer's moderating.

    Aside, there are different levels of procrastination. I agree that if you have a chronic problem with it, banning one form of delay won't really help, but most forms of regular procrastination are "Oh I have to research this topic online or look at my powerpoint slides, and the forums link is only one click away" types of temptations. Some people, when they procrastinate, are on the ready for an excuse to get to work, not to avoid work - yeah, that sounds pretty weird, but that's exactly my stance when it comes to "essay or presentation due tomorrow" scenarios. However, with "I need to catch up on my reading" scenarios, I (at least) default to the "well I can always put it off" strategy and probably wouldn't start the work even if I was banned. However, when you have a bit of panic involved, a rough slap or a rude nudge may be just what you need to get serious. At least with the forum ban, you have a reminder to do your work, and something to look forward to after you've completed it. Negative reinforcement for the block.

    And CT, the internet is so a substitute for social interaction, just not a very healthy, fulfilling, or profitable one.

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Paladin wrote:
    The club bouncer analogy fits better than the jail analogy, but that case is easier than this one, because it's really not the bouncer's business to plan for the betterment of the group the bouncer's moderating.

    Funny, last time I checked that wasn't the mods job either.

    Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Paladin wrote:
    The club bouncer analogy fits better than the jail analogy, but that case is easier than this one, because it's really not the bouncer's business to plan for the betterment of the group the bouncer's moderating.

    Funny, last time I checked that wasn't the mods job either.
    Oh you.

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    you are weak like girl pheezer.

    Angry on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Angry wrote:
    you are weak like girl pheezer.

    :cry:

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Angry wrote:
    you are weak like girl pheezer.

    :cry:
    Compared to angry, everyone is :winky:

    The Cheese on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2004
    This forum has killed all of my addictions. Instead of playing video games all day, I sit here and talk about playing video games.

    Sad, really.

    TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I think the bigger problem is that people on this forum argue about everything. We are the essence of dysfunctional.

    Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2004
    wrote:
    -[arlequin]I think the bigger problem is that people on this forum argue about everything. We are the essence of dysfunctional.

    No we don't.

    Unknown User on
  • robaalrobaal Registered User
    edited September 2004
    wrote:
    -[arlequin]I think the bigger problem is that people on this forum argue about everything. We are the essence of dysfunctional.

    If I agree with you on this then you're wrong, and if I disagree you're right? In either case I would be wrong... :cry:

    robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    robaal wrote:
    wrote:
    -[arlequin]I think the bigger problem is that people on this forum argue about everything. We are the essence of dysfunctional.

    If I agree with you on this then you're wrong, and if I disagree you're right? In either case I would be wrong... :cry:

    See? You're finally right about something: You'll always be wrong.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • FenloreFenlore Registered User
    edited September 2004
    I love how this topic which my friend set up to get me unbanned after an unfortunate mix up has derailed so very far, even with pheezer here.

    Let us settle this once and for all.

    1) I am not addected to the internet.
    2) I do however have a very short attention span and therefor I can easily be detered from studying, hence I asked for a temp ban so I could study for a test I though I would do poorly on if I didn't study.
    3) I'm an asshole, but angry will always be king ass
    4) any addiction people might think they have to the internet is mental and can therefore be turned off if people only actually thoguht about it.
    5) lock this bloody thread as it has simple because another psychological discussion

    Fenlore on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    fenlore wrote:
    4) Any addiction people might think they have to the internet is mental and can therefore be turned off if people only actually thought about it.
    HA.

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • MrFisticuffsMrFisticuffs Registered User
    edited September 2004
    Okay guys, I'm going to lock this thread now.




















    SYKE.

    MrFisticuffs on
This discussion has been closed.