Options

[Endless Space 2] is out. Hope you've been Craving some Cravers.

2»

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I finally powered up enough, and learned enough about the game, that I feel comfortable eating all my neighbors with my best-in-the-galaxy fleets

Except that now one of the empires I am beating up is close to an economic victory

They are powerless to stop me from devouring their people, but I doubt I can kill them fast enough to stop their victory; this is unsatisfying

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    I finally powered up enough, and learned enough about the game, that I feel comfortable eating all my neighbors with my best-in-the-galaxy fleets

Except that now one of the empires I am beating up is close to an economic victory

They are powerless to stop me from devouring their people, but I doubt I can kill them fast enough to stop their victory; this is unsatisfying

IIRC the first warning comes when they are still either 1/2 or 2/3rds the way there. If you just got that, you should still have a decent number of turns to wipe them out, especially if you focus on high-Dust value worlds (like those with Trading Companies)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

IIRC the first warning comes when they are still either 1/2 or 2/3rds the way there. If you just got that, you should still have a decent number of turns to wipe them out, especially if you focus on high-Dust value worlds (like those with Trading Companies)

Ah, that's good

The wording seemed to suggest that the game was basically over

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Ah, that's good

The wording seemed to suggest that the game was basically over

You should get one other warning once they reach the 80-90% mark. If you haven't made a major dent in them before then, that would be the time to panic.

Also, keep in mind it's possible to interrupt trade between Trading Companies and their subsidiaries by blockading any system in the chain, you can slow down their progress towards Economic victory simply by sending a number of small fleets to go in defensive stance around the right systems.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Finished my first game. Came in 2nd which is fine since I was just trying to get a feel for the systems. I'm going to need to look up more around trading as the space mafia won and had so much more dust than anyone else it was crazy. I also learned more about how The Unfallen work and now I know why they had vine ships parked on a lot my planets lol. Feels like if I was playing the Unfallen I'd have to go militaristic since anyone who knows the mechanic would lock down borders around me and I'd have to go to war to expand.

This game has a great base though, I can't wait for a couple large patches and/or expansions to flesh things out. An espionage system would be great here as I had a hard time tracking how well the other factions were doing outside of score.

Invasions need some serious work though. I can't say much about early game but mid to late game with multiple dedicated troop ships (1,500 troops a ship) should not take 15-20+ turns to win a planet. Creating 2 medium ships with 4 siege modules reduced those same defended planets to 0 in 3-5 turns. Basically makes the invasion mechanic pointless, which is a shame because it's interesting.

The other issue I had and this was with ES1 as well, is that it's really easy to gang up on a faction. Since I was playing on easy, I was in the lead most of the game. So despite trying my best to be at peace I was dragged into war with 3 factions all around the same time. Since it's space and not a land mass, it's really easy for multiple factions to get ships into your system. I don't think there is a solution for this unfortunately.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I fell in for the trap of short range lasers' damage output and critical chance to hit after an anomaly I found gave me a module that gives considerable boost to energy weapon damage to stack on my faction's base weapon damage boost.

Little did I know that short range is abso-fucking-lutely useless as you're lucky to get into a short range engagement even if you apply short range tactics to your flotilla.

Oh well. At least the bonuses still apply to the mid/short pew pews, not just the short range lasers.

*sighs*

I want to enjoy this game. I really do. But I keep getting game-breaking bugs.

Like when I had a Vodyani game and suddenly I couldn't build system improvements. Or right now where I got to turn 101 and the turn is 'pending' forever because the AI scripts have shit the bed between 2 factions.

Guess I'm gonna go fuck off back to Stellaris while this gets out of early access for reals.

EvmaAlsar on
    6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Finished my first game. Came in 2nd which is fine since I was just trying to get a feel for the systems. I'm going to need to look up more around trading as the space mafia won and had so much more dust than anyone else it was crazy. I also learned more about how The Unfallen work and now I know why they had vine ships parked on a lot my planets lol. Feels like if I was playing the Unfallen I'd have to go militaristic since anyone who knows the mechanic would lock down borders around me and I'd have to go to war to expand.

This game has a great base though, I can't wait for a couple large patches and/or expansions to flesh things out. An espionage system would be great here as I had a hard time tracking how well the other factions were doing outside of score.

Invasions need some serious work though. I can't say much about early game but mid to late game with multiple dedicated troop ships (1,500 troops a ship) should not take 15-20+ turns to win a planet. Creating 2 medium ships with 4 siege modules reduced those same defended planets to 0 in 3-5 turns. Basically makes the invasion mechanic pointless, which is a shame because it's interesting.

The other issue I had and this was with ES1 as well, is that it's really easy to gang up on a faction. Since I was playing on easy, I was in the lead most of the game. So despite trying my best to be at peace I was dragged into war with 3 factions all around the same time. Since it's space and not a land mass, it's really easy for multiple factions to get ships into your system. I don't think there is a solution for this unfortunately.

All of those are valid points, I'm seeing. In ES1, you still had the ranking across all game facets, FIDS, Tech, Military might, Economy, Planets, etc. Here, its just score, and that's not a good metric to go by, I don't know how this faction made it to where they are on the score board.

ES1, did have a solution though. When you blockaded a Star system, no one was allowed to go anywhere except the star lane they came from, and they usually had to fight you before they could leave. That meant you needed to build more than just one death stack of ships. You needed to identify where chokepoints where and send fleets to those systems to lock them down, and then leap frog the fleets to keep the enemy from slipping past you.

You did nail it on the head that this is space combat, not land combat. Space combat is like the Pacific Theatre in WW2. If there was an island that was stupidly reinforced, American naval vessels just blockaded them and the rest bypassed while they starved the defenders out, because fuck island meatgrinders. The reason you fought on certain islands was because you needed the real estate for airstrips or staging areas for the next island forward. Sometimes they were relatively empty. Sometimes they were Midway or Iwo Jima. Of course the problem with this analogy is that in Endless Space, the islands can actually supply their own food and war material...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    I fell in for the trap of short range lasers' damage output and critical chance to hit after an anomaly I found gave me a module that gives considerable boost to energy weapon damage to stack on my faction's base weapon damage boost.

Little did I know that short range is abso-fucking-lutely useless as you're lucky to get into a short range engagement even if you apply short range tactics to your flotilla.

Oh well. At least the bonuses still apply to the mid/short pew pews, not just the short range lasers.

*sighs*

Like when I had a Vodyani game and suddenly I couldn't build system improvements. Or right now where I got to turn 101 and the turn is 'pending' forever because the AI scripts have shit the bed between 2 factions.

Guess I'm gonna go fuck off back to Stellaris while this gets out of early access for reals.

For the Vodyani thing was it just that you moved your Ark? Arks take their system improvements with them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I like how everyone is getting pissed off at me for building the fleets of ships.

"Hey, dumbasses. I am fighting the biomechanical zerg in the galactic south. Look at the score fuckers, its a tie between us and them at 600 and 3rd placd is +200 points behind. Really appreciate it if youd build some ships as well because if i die, you all are fucked."

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I played a bunch of this game last night. The UI is great (once I turned down the scale of the UI, so the text wasn't so huge that it was hard to read). The gameplay feels great. I actually really like the space combat -- it rewards scouting and problem solving.

But...

... Yeah.

I ran into two bugs in the ~8 hours I played.

One was not *too* big of a deal: A quest reward said it had 80% effectiveness at close range, but when actually equipped on a ship, the effectiveness at close range of the ship showed 0% effectiveness. Looked it up; the bug had been reported by another player who recommended editing an XML file to fix the issue. Looking at the XML file, it's quite baffling -- I hate to be a coding armchair quarterback, but it seems to me to be a very bad idea to have values like "effectiveness at range" defined multiple times for one thing.

The other bug I encountered was game-breaking: The space mafia guys entered an infinite loop of diplomacy alerts. Nothing I did could get the diplomacy alerts to stop popping up. I had to load a previous save and choose a dramatically different series of choices to avoid that situation.

Melkster on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I like how everyone is getting pissed off at me for building the fleets of ships.

"Hey, dumbasses. I am fighting the biomechanical zerg in the galactic south. Look at the score fuckers, its a tie between us and them at 600 and 3rd placd is +200 points behind. Really appreciate it if youd build some ships as well because if i die, you all are fucked."

I started supporting the Sophons against the Cravers and they got upset I was building fleets next to their worlds to do it.

Guys, you just asked me for help

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017

*sighs*

For the Vodyani thing was it just that you moved your Ark? Arks take their system improvements with them.

This was a brand new Ark heading to an unclaimed system. For reasons unknown to me, only 1 pop on 1 planet would appear, and it would seem to alternate between planets each turn, the other planets would not colonise and I'd have no system improvement options to build. Very confusing and messy.

Edit: wrecking Horatio is kind of my favourite pastime

https://youtu.be/1JUEP7t67gs

EvmaAlsar on
    6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    This almost feels like a necro post, but there is a sale on Endless Space 2 for the next few days. At least here in Europe.

Did any of you continue to play this game, and is it worth it with 25% off?

From reading the Steam reviews, it seems like the AI has some problems, but at the same time the sale seems to coincide with a major update.

If anybody has any opinions I'd like to hear a yeah or nay :)

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Haven't played in a while though (was waiting for the fighter/bomber patch before I did) so I can't comment on how much it's improved (or not) since launch, but IIRC, AI in an Endless game has always been something that's started off less than stellar, but steadly improved on by the devs for it's entire lifecycle.

Besides, how many other games not named Stellaris let you play as amphibious Mafiosos or an entire species of mad scientists?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Haven't played in a while though (was waiting for the fighter/bomber patch before I did) so I can't comment on how much it's improved (or not) since launch, but IIRC, AI in an Endless game has always been something that's started off less than stellar, but steadly improved on by the devs for it's entire lifecycle.

Besides, how many other games not named Stellaris let you play as amphibious Mafiosos or an entire species of mad scientists?

I mean you can play Venice or Korea in Civ V. With just a smidge of imagination, you're there!

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Thanks Foefaller. I think I'll buy it then.

I like a lot about Endless Space 1 and Endless Legend, even if the execution was kinda wonky in places. So by buying I hope to keep them alive to improve the game.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Started playing this big time again with the Vaulters. They are a crazy good race. The portals and the ability to use strategic resources for your planetary development upgrades are nuts. Pirate diplomacy feels a bit tacked on and I haven't been able to make good use of it yet. It really just seems like they wanted to give folks another influence and money sink if you aren't spending it making diplomatic demands.

• Options
    Amplitudes next game was announced. "Endless Civilization" or Humankind. Seems interesting, will need more demo's and info though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwMpGIm1Dyo

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Amplitude is on a mission to create a 4x game in every setting imaginable. Sci-fi, high fantasy, historical, mythological, steampunk, post-apocolyptic, Judeo-Christian, cartoon animals, wasp hives in some dude's backyard, everything!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I could do with an Endless Space 3. I enjoyed what they did with 2.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I still want Total War Endless.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    I could do with an Endless Space 3. I enjoyed what they did with 2.

Hell yeah. I still love Endless Space 2. I think my biggest complaint is the combat. There were just too many hidden factors that went into who one and lost. If you're going to remove me from directing, which is ok, I need it simpler to understand so I can apply tactics appropriately.

I still fantasize about a VR mode for endless space 2, where you walk around a command center monitoring your system Minority Report style, while you visit with the other factions in more of a real time sense so you can read their faces when negotiating and respond to them via speech.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Eh, one of the things I really like about amplitude games is the factions and lore. Its going to be a bit wierd going from the Broken Lords, Horatio, or Riftborn to the Romans, Germans, and Chinese.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Eh, one of the things I really like about amplitude games is the factions and lore. Its going to be a bit wierd going from the Broken Lords, Horatio, or Riftborn to the Romans, Germans, and Chinese.

Maybe the science victory is be the first civilization to produce Horatio