As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii Friend Codes, Apparently Official

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
I couldn't help but notice routing through some new images of Mario Strikers Charged for Wii (Probably the first online Wii title to hit the EU and US territories) and I came across this big stinking pile of disappointment.

mario-strikers-charged-20070427102935545.jpg

That's right. Individual Friend Codes for individual games. The part that really hurts is how completely redundant this all is, given the Wii System Codes we've all already had to exchange.

What a kick in the pants.

I guess the logic is, if enough strings of random numbers get in the way, little Timmy won't get raped by that pedophile across the street.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
AbsoluteZero on

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wait a sec. Perhaps the game merely allows the player to add to their list while in game? I'm reaching here, but it's possible.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    Wait a sec. Perhaps the game merely allows the player to add to their list while in game? I'm reaching here, but it's possible.

System Codes are 16 characters long. That screen shot shows Friend Codes are 12 characters long.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dusda wrote: »

Different numbers of digits.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dammit.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What really sucks is that this used to be a non-issue for me on DS. My friends would come back from school for Summer and we'd instantly get everyone's friend code by participating in the local play of our online enabled games.

On the Wii, I don't really see how this easy swapping will occur, although I guess we're just a few IMs away from netplay. Still doesn't make it any less convoluted.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's been all-but-official for a while.

I was annoyed at first, but I think I'm pretty much over it now. You should still be able to play random matches without friend codes (like on the DS), and I only have a handful of friends that I regularly game with, so it will be manageable.

Hopefully one day they will add in a system that allows you to exchange friend codes en masse via the Wii's messaging system, but until then, I'm happy to just send a Wii message to friends (that includes my new friend code) when I get a new game.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    nooopm3.jpg

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    It's been all-but-official for a while.

I was annoyed at first, but I think I'm pretty much over it now. You should still be able to play random matches without friend codes (like on the DS), and I only have a handful of friends that I regularly game with, so it will be manageable.

Hopefully one day they will add in a system that allows you to exchange friend codes en masse via the Wii's messaging system, but until then, I'm happy to just send a Wii message to friends when I get a new game, and exchange codes that way.
    The only real problem with that is you still have to write it down elsewhere. I know it sounds like "oh murder, don't make me reach for the pen and paper", but it'd be nice if you could pin a message to the little sub-menu that comes up when you hit the home button.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    But what about random battles for the Pokemon Wii Colosseum game?

Doesn't that mean some games won't need them?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

For random matchups you've never needed friend codes. Then again, you don't get to choose who you play against and there is no open-ended player communication allowed. Friend codes are needed to play against friends. I won't bother injecting my opinion here because everyone who thinks like I do already knows what I have to say.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Guys, this is Nintendo. It's all good baby.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I actually don't mind about the friend codes thing too much so long as you can play against random people and have a decent amount of options. I imagine that I will mainly just be playing Smash Bros Brawl online anyway.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    I actually don't mind about the friend codes thing too much so long as you can play against random people and have a decent amount of options. I imagine that I will mainly just be playing Smash Bros Brawl online anyway.

I'm just hoping it doesn't take too long to connect to people, and that the games play well online. If they can get that down, then it should be smooth sailing for me.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't mind playing against totally random people so long as there is a way to filter out douche-bags...

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    I am still of the firm belief that some decision-maker at Nintendo Just Doesn't Get It.

Echo on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rehab wrote: »

If you don't count friend codes, system seems to be quite robust:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RITpEjanIoA

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    I am still of the firm belief that some decision-maker at Nintendo Just Doesn't Get It.

I think he Gets It, it's just that his opinion is overshadowed by the lawyer in the next cubicle who (probably justifiedly) claims that they'll get sued to high hell and back if they don't include friend codes.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Guys, this is Nintendo. It's all good baby.

No, actaully this is bloody awful, and shows some frankly rank incompetence when it comes to planning and executing a successful online play mode.

Xbox Live, and Steam both manage it without me being raped by burly manbears, so how hard can it be?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ugh.

So. Dumb.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I think he Gets It, it's just that his opinion is overshadowed by the lawyer in the next cubicle who (probably justifiedly) claims that they'll get sued to high hell and back if they don't include friend codes.

Not justifiedly at all. Which isn't a word. MS, Sony, the internet, they all manage to do this without getting sued. No reason nintendo can't stop being dumb about this and create a decent online system.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Also, Nintendo is the most Japan-centric of the console makers, and online console gaming just isn't as popular in Japan as it is in the West.

Between the Nintendo lawyers not wanting to be sued (again), and the lack of demand for "hardcore" online gaming in Japan, it's no wonder that Nintendo are being a bit half-arsed with their matchmaking system.

Marlor on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    OK... there's a slight chance this could be not so bad. The friend code was specific a mii in the video. Perhaps each of our mii's have one friend code for all games played online, with the seperate code for the wii system due to the fact that that encompases all miis stored on the system.

This could be OK - each persons profile (mii) would have one friend code for all games it is used on.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    plufim wrote: »
    This could be OK - each persons profile (mii) would have one friend code for all games it is used on.

If that's the case, it would actually be a really nice system... but it contradicts what Iwata has said in the past.

Marlor on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Its still an outmoded and overly restrictive system, regardless of who's putting it out. The fact that if I want to play my game online, I apparently have to supply two sets of god damn numbers to play with friends is ridiculous.

If they have to have codes, just let my Wii friend code be universal.

For fucks sake Nintendo, get your act together.

Kelor on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I expect to be disapointed.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    Between the Nintendo lawyers not wanting to be sued (again), and the lack of demand for "hardcore" online gaming in Japan, it's no wonder that Nintendo are being a bit half-arsed with their matchmaking system.

Hah, the whole "our customers aren't ready for online play" of the last generation. :P

And now I got an SMS telling me that my 360 is ready for pickup, so I'll go grab it now. I got a 360 mainly for the solid online experience.

Echo on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Not justifiedly at all. Which isn't a word.
    I googled it, saw a bunch of "definition for justifiedly" links, and assumed it was. My mistake.
    MS, Sony, the internet, they all manage to do this without getting sued. No reason nintendo can't stop being dumb about this and create a decent online system.
    It's just that Nintendo have been sued over stuff like this (not to mention gotten bad publicity about it), so it's not terribly surprising that they're worried about being sued again. Nobody in the media cares about people getting sworn at while playing Halo. They do care about people getting sworn at while playing Pokemon, and it's not hard to see why (though whether it's a fair point or not is debatable).

Edit: I should clarify that I think Friend Codes are fucking annoying, and I'm not defending their implementation, just the reasoning behind their need

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wait wait I thought of something

Maybe, MAYBE, maybe, there is another option in the same "Add Friends" menu that allows you to add friends whose Wii system codes you've already added, or maybe you can automatically play with them as long as their codes have been added, and this is only for people whose system codes you don't have!

Maybe?

:(

Lemming on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    What I hate is the limit on Friend Codes. Pokemon is 32 Friend Codes, and I'm already halfway full. Annoying.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

For random matchups you've never needed friend codes.

Yeah but what about Pokemon Diamond / Pearl? No friend code = no online play, random matches were completely omitted from the game. Wifi was supposed to be the biggest draw to the new Pokemon games but they crippled it to an enormous degree. No friend codes? Well too bad, that means you cant play online. What's to make us think that we wont see more of this on the Wii?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    No friend codes? Well too bad, that means you cant play online. What's to make us think that we wont see more of this on the Wii?

You could just go to one of the many friend code websites and find some people to play against.

Sure, it's not as good as a built-in meeting place, but it actually worked really well with games like Animal Crossing. I'd expect that something like Animal Crossing Community will spring up for Pokemon (if it hasn't already).

Marlor on
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Re-fucking-tarded.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    [Yeah but what about Pokemon Diamond / Pearl? No friend code = no online play, random matches were completely omitted from the game. Wifi was supposed to be the biggest draw to the new Pokemon games but they crippled it to an enormous degree. No friend codes? Well too bad, that means you cant play online.

WHAT WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN

THOSE FUCKERS

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not surprised in the least. I mean, really, this is the company that forces us to push a button at the beginning of their games because some ass was too stupid to read ALL of the THIS GAME MAY CAUSE SEIZURES bullshit that comes with the consoles and games. I know Nintendo is making business decisions to cover their collective asses, but is it just that they can't afford the same type of burly asshole lawyers that will come into court and tell someone to choke on their own tongues for illiteracy's sake?

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really wish they would have just left it at the Wii Friends Codes. Maybe added more or something and make it neat. So when you go in to look at your current friends codes, it would display a little icon showing which games they have for online play and things like that so you know how many of your friends have the same games that you do. Nintendo really should do a little something different with the friends codes stuff.

Kato on
    Signature??
  • Options
    VhalyarVhalyar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    While on the subject of Strikers, the online is region locked even with Friend Codes :rotate:

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Argh! I thought Nintendo was going to get it together this generation! What a stupid system. Unless something serious changes, we can say goodbye to serious online Wii gaming.

And it could have been so easy. The real problem is that they're working by the precautionary principle: assuming there will be problems, instead of pursuing a more open system and changing if there are problems.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My god, this is beyond retarded. In what parallel universe does Ease of Use + Mass Appeal For Adults and Young Adults == Friend Codes * Number of Friends You Have? Oh right, the one run by lawyers. I guess it isn't a parallel universe after all.

Seriously, do they understand that in one fell swoop, they isolated both the hardcore, who can just use their 360 for online play, AND any casual gamer that wanted to play with a friend or two?

The only saving grace I can see is that this doesn't impact random match-ups, which I'm pretty sure remains the most popular form of online gaming.

Maybe this is just a hilarious anti-clan/anti-guild prank by Nintendo.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kelor wrote: »
    If they have to have codes, just let my Wii friend code be universal.

That's a pretty good compromise.

Which means they won't implement it. :(

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Don't they play Halo 2 in Japan? Or Crimson Skies or something???

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767