As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii Friend Codes, Apparently Official

• Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    edit : nope, not doing it

God damn maybe we should, I don't know, wait for an online game to come out and see how it works.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    Edit: And do you really have yours strictly offline? Because you will miss out on a lot of great VC games from doing that.

No, mine is online. Every now and then I get a new message from Nintendo telling me that there's a new update somewhere or other. Then I try to download it and my system locks up and I need to actively unplug the fucking thing and then I get to resync all of my Wiimotes. Good times.

What?

It sounds like you have a defective system.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why are we even arguing this? Can't we agree that friend codes suck?

No. Dude, didn't you get the memo? This is NINTENDO. They can do no wrong. Everyone who disagrees with their decisions is a blasphemer against God!

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gigglio wrote: »

God damn maybe we should, I don't know, wait for an online game to come out and see how it works.

WHAT?!? Get out of here, psycho.

No. Dude, didn't you get the memo? This is NINTENDO. They can do no wrong. Everyone who disagrees with their decisions is a blasphemer against God!

There's a difference between 'I disagree with Nintendo's plan for online' (which I do) and 'OMG, I'm going home and throwing away my Wii, because it doesn't have XBox's Live service'. I have no problem with saying that this system is flawed, I just have a problem with blowing shit out of proportion like that. I can't comprehend how this is so world-crushing for people, but that's probably because online play isn't 'my bag' persay. I love playing online, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited April 2007

This is the INTERNET.

Where we're fine for paying fifty bucks for a glorified Peer-to-peer connection but scream our heads off when we have to input a number to play free online!

Pata on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

What you are doing here isn't really funny or clever. People can have legitimate gripes with Nintendo just as much as they can have them with Sony.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    As someone who has never played a online game with a friend, and would have at the most about 3 people on my friends list, should this bother me?

Not at all.

Unless you want to get in on the nerd rage.

Oooooooo, nerd rage.

How about this

What the fuck you should be on your hands and knees that Nintendo even allows you to play games, you ungreatful fucks.

Or

What? Friend codes? Fuck that. The Wii and everything about it sucks and you all suck to.

That good?

In all honesty, I can understand people getting upset about it but not to the point of swearing off online completly. Do friend codes somehoe effect random matches or something?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

An online game is coming out in Europe in under a month. The service has been publicly demonstrated.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

What you are doing here isn't really funny or clever. People can have legitimate gripes with Nintendo just as much as they can have them with Sony.

Oh yeah right. Everyone here can be all "LOLSONY" and no one minds but as soon as one ill word is said about Nintendo the NDS (Nintendo Defense Squad) rushes in to let everyone know that anyone who says anything negative against the big N is stupid and/or retarded.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    As someone who has never played a online game with a friend, and would have at the most about 3 people on my friends list, should this bother me?

Not at all.

Unless you want to get in on the nerd rage.

Oooooooo, nerd rage.

How about this

What the fuck you should be on your hands and knees that Nintendo even allows you to play games, you ungreatful fucks.

Or

What? Friend codes? Fuck that. The Wii and everything about it sucks and you all suck to.

That good?

In all honesty, I can understand people getting upset about it but not to the point of swearing off online completly. Do friend codes somehoe effect random matches or something?

I readily support both of your views. Nerd Rage.......OVER 9000!
    Oh yeah right. Everyone here can be all "LOLSONY" and no one minds but as soon as one ill word is said about Nintendo the NDS (Nintendo Defense Squad) rushes in to let everyone know that anyone who says anything negative against the big N is stupid and/or retarded.

You're stupid and/or retarded.

Nickle on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Edit: And do you really have yours strictly offline? Because you will miss out on a lot of great VC games from doing that.

No, mine is online. Every now and then I get a new message from Nintendo telling me that there's a new update somewhere or other. Then I try to download it and my system locks up and I need to actively unplug the fucking thing and then I get to resync all of my Wiimotes. Good times.

What?

It sounds like you have a defective system.

I suspect it has to do with interference in my house. I have a lot of wireless devices - two cordless phones, the 360, a laptop, my desktop machine - and it's quite possible that the Wii sucks at picking out weak signals. The 360 perched 6" below has no problems, but then the 360's build quality is leaps and bounds above the Wii's based on everything I've seen. (Which is what you'd expect from a $400 machine.) I've heard from other people who had similar problems and traced it to too much interference.

The system works fine as long as I don't bother with online. If I cared, I would try to find a solution. Like I said, I just don't. Nintendo offers so little of value with their service at this point that I'm literally not missing anything at all. I sort of would like access to the VC, but I have such a backlog of XBLA titles to play that I find it difficult to be sad.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No seriously Jeffe, sounds like a defective system. I turn off my Wii at the wall as a matter of course, and I never have to re-sync my controllers when I supply power back to it again.

If what you say is standard, then the Wiimote you get with the system wouldn't be paired. But it is.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Likewise, I don't have to resync controllers when I plug the system back in. And I highly doubt that wireless interference is crashing your system.

Zek on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There's always the LAN adapter, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a wireless setup.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

This is the INTERNET.

Where we're fine for paying fifty bucks for a glorified Peer-to-peer connection but scream our heads off when we have to input a number to play free online!

Except for the part where you can't just play with random people with full features, or if at all depending on the game. Not everyone has a Wii, and only a fraction of my friends in real life have Wiis cause most are either PC gamers, or not gamers at all. And going on forums to find friend codes and putting them in is a pain in the ass if your Wii and PC aren't in the same room, specially if you just want to start playing and not browse for random people on forums that are also playing the same game you are at the same time you are. This might be fine with you, cause you said the people you would play online with are ones you know personally, so most likely have Wiis. It's annoying for people who aren't you though.

There are a lot of alternatives for friend codes if Nitendos intention is to protect little Billy, so hopefully they will change their online system in the future.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Neva wrote: »

This is the INTERNET.

Except for the part where you can't just play with random people with full features, or if at all depending on the game. Not everyone has a Wii, and only a fraction of my friends in real life have Wiis cause most are either PC gamers, or not gamers at all. And going on forums to find friend codes and putting them in is a pain in the ass if your Wii and PC aren't in the same room, specially if you just want to start playing and not browse for random people on forums that are also playing the same game you are at the same time you are. This might be fine with you, cause you said the people you would play online with are ones you know personally, so most likely have Wiis. It's annoying for people who aren't you though.

There are a lot of alternatives for friend codes if Nitendos intention is to protect little Billy, so hopefully they will change their online system in the future.

Wii internet browser?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    I don't have to resync every time I power down completely, only every time I power down completely while the system is locked up during a download.

Like I said, I've heard of other people having pretty much the same issue and tracing it to wireless interference. I don't think it's technically locking up. I think it's just going so slowly that it may as well be locked up. Once I tried doing this and it looked to have frozen, but I left it on for a weekend and it eventually finished. It's just that last time I tried this, I didn't want to wait two days to play Paper Mario, so I said fuck it and unplugged it. It didn't like that, and punished me by unsyncing one of my Wiimotes.

The more salient point is that this problem only rears its head when I try to make use of a feature that offers me nothing of value and that I don't give two shits about. Right now, I'm more content to just not go online than I am to go fucking around with wireless bullshit. There may well be a solution. I just don't care.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I actually dislike posts consisting of just "lol Sony" because it never adds anything worthwhile to any discussion and the people that you assume would post that usually do, and do so entirely too much. You are right in saying that there is a NDS squad but there is also an equally retarded SDS squad who feels that they must rush in to defend and their console of choice. By posting something like what you just did you could show that you fall into one of those two groups or you could just try and post your own opinion on the specific discussion at hand without showing an obvious amount of fanboyism or defensiveness.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

This is the INTERNET.

Wii internet browser?

Now what would be a good damn idea would be for the Wii browser to be able to recognize the friend codes on webpages displayed like a link, and that you can click it and add it instantly. Then again, this is probably impossible with the per-game friend codes.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

This is the INTERNET.

How do the friend codes keep them from utilizing match-making, or alerting you when a friend is online playing the game? This is all speculation. Also, you can use the Wii's browser or messaging system to exchange friend codes, in lieu of a PC in the same room. Yes, it's needlessly complicated, but people are acting like the Wii uses carrier pigeons, or something. They are using numbers instead of usernames (which means to me that I won't have to worry about being Nickle6678, or some such, and there will be a unique number for each game. Anything past that is speculation. Also, there's always te chance that Nintendo could turn this needless complication into a benefit, depending on how they approach it.

Say, for instance, that your Mii will be your online 'hub', so to speak, and you can send your Mii to anyone on your Wii. Sure, the friend codes are still a barrier for adding random people, but your Mii would be latent with your friend codes and statistics, updated by Connect24. You could go to the Mii channel to see your friend's online status, etc, stuff like that. Speculation doesn't always have to be negative, you know.

Nickle on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Actually, I don't think that system friend codes really sucked all that badly. If all games just used that same friend code and friend code list (and maybe if the number of slots in your friend list was increased) I'd see no reason to complain. At all. I mean yeah it could still be better, but that would still be good.

Game-specific friend codes, on the other hand, suck donkey dick.

I have a question, too...I looked, and didn't see it covered on either the first few pages or the last few pages...might have missed on in the middle. How exactly does this "protect children?" I mean, system friend codes do that. But how does adding another friend code at the game level enhance this? Once a pedophile has a kid's system friend code, what's stopping them from messaging each other their Mario Strikers friend codes using the built-in messaging functions of the Wii?

Or, for that matter, what's keeping the pedophile from emailing the kid pictures of his schlong? And hooking up a place where he can get his pedophile on?

For all this talk of "being extra careful" I really don't see how this added layer of hassle provides any additional protection for underage users whatsoever.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

This is the INTERNET.

Wii internet browser?

True. Personally I can't stand to use any console web browser, as they come off as clunky and slow to me. Little besides the point, but wouldn't you have to exit out of the Wii browser when entering codes? I haven't played with that part in a long while, so I can't remember off hand.

Regardless, it's still needlessly inconvenient and something they could of done without.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I actually dislike posts consisting of just "lol Sony" because it never adds anything worthwhile to any discussion and the people that you assume would post that usually do, and do so entirely too much. You are right in saying that there is a NDS squad but there is also an equally retarded SDS squad who feels that they must rush in to defend and their console of choice. By posting something like what you just did you could show that you fall into one of those two groups or you could just try and post your own opinion on the specific discussion at hand without showing an obvious amount of fanboyism or defensiveness.

Haha WHAT!? See, this is why I said what I said. If you say anything bad about Nintendo, or hell just point out the fact that the blind faithful to them are silly, you're labeled as a fanboy.

Tell me, what am I a fanboy of exactly?

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Haha WHAT!? See, this is why I said what I said. If you say anything bad about Nintendo, or hell just point out the fact that the blind faithful to them are silly, you're labeled as a fanboy.

Unhelpful posts.

When ANY company does something annoying, be it Sony or Nintendo or whoever, forumers gripe about it. For fuck's sake, this damn thread should show that Nintendo isn't immune to criticism. Just because people are defending it (just in the same way people defend Sony's questionable moves) doesn't mean the company's considered untouchable.

Shaddap, already.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

This is the INTERNET.

How do the friend codes keep them from utilizing match-making, or alerting you when a friend is online playing the game? This is all speculation. Also, you can use the Wii's browser or messaging system to exchange friend codes, in lieu of a PC in the same room. Yes, it's needlessly complicated, but people are acting like the Wii uses carrier pigeons, or something. They are using numbers instead of usernames (which means to me that I won't have to worry about being Nickle6678, or some such, and there will be a unique number for each game. Anything past that is speculation. Also, there's always te chance that Nintendo could turn this needless complication into a benefit, depending on how they approach it.

Well it looked like most people were basing it off of how the DS does the friend codes. It keeps you from utilizing match-making because you are limited to who you are playing. You have to get codes from other people. A unique number for each game just makes it more of a pain, cause thats more work then you should be doing to be able to play a game, and even then you are limited to who you are playing.

Neva on

• Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm not trying to defend Nintendo here, but maybe they have plans that we're not privvy to. If the friend codes are Mii specific, maybe we'll end up with an even more robust (and entertaining) online experience than Live, with game specific codes only being a barrier to random people stalking you. I'm just saying, you can't always assume the worst.

Like I said before, the concrete facts are: Nintendo is using friend codes. One for the system, and another specifically for each game, which may or may not be tied to a Mii. Anything past that is just plain guessing. I'm pretty sure that when they announced Gamespy (it is gamespy, right) was handling the service that they would support matchmaking, etc. It may be the only difference might be that you have to enter a code. It could be better than this, it could be worse.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Aren't there actually online games in Japan already? If so whatever structure they are using for online and friend codes will probably be pretty similar to what gets used over here.

I could have sworn they had online for the Pokemon game when that was released.

Rehab on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

we don't take well to your kind 'round these parts.

idiotic accusations like that never work. there is a large nintendo fanbase on this forum...but that doesn't mean we dont dog on nintendo all the freakin time. the only thing is that there are plenty of ppl willing to defend them as well. that's how rational arguments go. not EVERYONE is dismissing this whole friends thing like you would imply. in fact, its pretty well cut down the middle, probably actually in favor of it being dog shit. but for some odd reason, you decide to point out only the section thats defending this whole debacle, not even as a good decision, but as a mediocre one. you're angry because some ppl are apathetic about the whole thing.

you're calling apathy fanboism.

has anyone said friends codes was a GOOD idea?
    i dont think so.

but your idiocy is attempting to pidgeonhole this entire thread.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm not trying to defend Nintendo here, but maybe they have plans that we're not privvy to. If the friend codes are Mii specific, maybe we'll end up with an even more robust (and entertaining) online experience than Live, with game specific codes only being a barrier to random people stalking you. I'm just saying, you can't always assume the worst.

If the codes are Mii specific then I fully expect them to not only be specific to the Mii, but to the game as well. Meaning you will have a specific code for each Mii, for each game. That would be a nightmare.

>>we don't take well to your kind 'round these parts.

I know, we have to keep this practically closed community closed afterall.

You say I'm angry. Haha, yeah I'm angry. I'm angry because I find the blind following of Nintendo hilarious, and I'm also angry because it's also hilarious how many people will RAGE over it being pointed out.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Actually, I don't think that system friend codes really sucked all that badly. If all games just used that same friend code and friend code list (and maybe if the number of slots in your friend list was increased) I'd see no reason to complain. At all. I mean yeah it could still be better, but that would still be good.

Game-specific friend codes, on the other hand, suck donkey dick.

I have a question, too...I looked, and didn't see it covered on either the first few pages or the last few pages...might have missed on in the middle. How exactly does this "protect children?" I mean, system friend codes do that. But how does adding another friend code at the game level enhance this? Once a pedophile has a kid's system friend code, what's stopping them from messaging each other their Mario Strikers friend codes using the built-in messaging functions of the Wii?

Or, for that matter, what's keeping the pedophile from emailing the kid pictures of his schlong? And hooking up a place where he can get his pedophile on?

For all this talk of "being extra careful" I really don't see how this added layer of hassle provides any additional protection for underage users whatsoever.

The point of that screen shot is that you can make a seperate friend list based off a Mii.

In other words it's not just "One friend code per system/game" it's "One friend code per person."

Pata on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

If the codes are Mii specific then I fully expect them to not only be specific to the Mii, but to the game as well. Meaning you will have a specific code for each Mii, for each game. That would be a nightmare.

Maybe the Mii codes will be latently stored with your Mii, to be sent to anyone on your Wii buddy list. Maybe the friend codes are just a way to add people to play against that you don't neccessarily want in your Wii address book. Like I said, it's just speculation.

Like I said, we're only speculating here. I'm just trying to balance out the negative nancies.

Nickle on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The point of that screen shot is that you can make a seperate friend list based off a Mii.

In other words it's not just "One friend code per system/game" it's "One friend code per person."

Ah. My bad. Should have read farther.

Of course, now it's just sounding like it might be more of a pain in the ass. *shrug*

Like ElJeffe said, I'm loving my Wii for offline goodness (both one-player and multi-player)...but I'm not hopeful regarding its online capabilities.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know, we have to keep this practically closed community closed afterall.

You say I'm angry. Haha, yeah I'm angry. I'm angry because I find the blind following of Nintendo hilarious, and I'm also angry because it's also hilarious how many people will RAGE over it being pointed out.

I'm all in favor of open discussion - I think the friend code system is pretty lousy, however it's not a deal breaker to me simply because I'm used to it on the DS and I don't play online often to begin with. I'm hoping that maybe a Friends channel could be forthcoming that would link all friends codes together - allowing parental control to lock out the channel while still giving us the functionality we would like.

With that said...I think your little outburst is quite douchebaggy.

This is a very open community. They are quite inviting and have taken steps to try to open it up further, many of which caused some forumers to become upset such as eliminating chat threads and megathreads in order to invite more people in. I participated in my first online secret Santa this year on this board, something I never would have done in any other forums I've frequented. Just because there are quite a few people here who love our Wiis and DSs doesn't mean that we are stupid followers. It may just be that we like the games in their libraries better.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

what have you been reading??

oh wait...that's right...you're trolling. ppl respond more to being called fanboys. the fact that you're not even really reading whats being posted around here only affirms your troll-status.

anyhow: yes, friends codes blows. if they dont remedy this somehow i will be extremely dissappointed. that said, there's still a lot of things we don't know about that's supposedly coming in the future. there are supposed to be some new channels coming, including an improved mii channel. i also asked earlier, to no reply, about nintendo's partnership with xfire. shouldn't that prospect inspire at least a little hope?

Guek on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Can you all please stop quoting him, it makes the ignore feature useless.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I think the idea is that you can give someone your game-specific friend code (say, for Mario Strikers), but not your Wii system friend code or your Animal Crossing Wii friend code.

That way, you can play Mario Strikers against a crazy guy you met on a message board without having him spam your Wii inbox with dirty messages or mess up your Animal Crossing town.

It's an OK system in theory... but I'd prefer to just have one friend code, then be able to specify which games I give each person access to (via checkboxes).

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Marlor wrote: »

I think the idea is that you can give someone your game-specific friend code (say, for Mario Strikers), but not your Wii system friend code or your Animal Crossing Wii friend code.

That way, you can play Mario Strikers against a crazy guy you met on a message board without having him spam your Wii inbox with dirty messages or mess up your Animal Crossing town.

It's an OK system in theory... but I'd prefer to just have one friend code, then be able to specify what games I give that person access to via checkboxes.

Um why would you play with some crazy guy from a message board that you didn't want to be able to communicate or play with you on other games? I know what you're trying to say and all but that's a kind of illogical situation.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Shutup, terrorbyte.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    The amount of anger is astounding.

It's over inputting a little number to play with someone.

Seriously.

I've never seen the big deal. At all.

Have you ever attempted to play a DS game online with people at Penny Arcade? It is hell trying to get it sorted out. This is especially true when you run out of space and have to delete some friend codes so you aren't exactly sure whose friend codes you have. The time spent entering the codes really adds up.
    That's because the infrastructure on the DS online is the most retarded shit ever, and has absolutely no correlation with the fact you enter in codes for your friends list instead of a username or email address.

Friend codes and great online can coexist.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There is absolutely no reason for friend codes to exist. None.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png