As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny] D2 Beta: July 18 for PS4 Preorders; July 19 for XB1; Open Beta July 21-25!

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    So Destiny 2 drops a couple of days before I go on vacation. I can imagine those couple of days are just going to be non-stop destiny... then I'm going to have to ask you all not to get too far ahead of me while I'm away... :biggrin:

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    I am going a bit bonkers playing right now. I figured I'd do ib this one last time, and for a number of reasons it's not going so hot.

First, it's pretty jarring coming back from the beta. Getting killed 10 times in a match and 9 of them are shoulder charge or sticky grenade, trying to use a primary and getting destroyed by special weapons (even fusion rifles seem crazy). I am really looking forward to the D2 weapon changes. I don't know if they're "better", but it sure as hell fits my style (admittedly old-man-no-thumbs) better.

Second, I am playing wildly inconsistently. Like... 0.5 k/d vs 4.5 k/d from game to game. Part of this is the above mentioned no-thumbedness, but I truly think it's mostly because some people don't actually know how to play crucible in D1. This made me think of what I think is a relatively contrary point on D2's 4v4 limitation and other crucible changes.

The prevailing opinion I've seen is that 4v4 and slower TTK will make playing as a solo player much harder. You won't be able to 1v2 or 1v3 as often, so without a fireteam you'll get team-shot to death. Matches will be "sweatier" (hate that term), etc. But this was not my experience at all. The changes made in D2 seem, to me, to have actually accomplished the stated goal of making the game easier to understand. There are the blatant changes like telling you when the other team has a super or who picks up heavy, but I think the nuanced changes actually have a huge effect.

Smaller maps mean that even for people that don't "know how to play", they sort of automatically go to the right spot to fight. People on my team might still position badly or what have you, but at least they're in the fight. In D1, however, I go whole games where it seems I am trying to solo take B, and no one on my team is ever anywhere near where the fight should be. The need to team-shot and how effective it was with slower TTK was also so obvious that it seemed everyone immediately caught on in the beta, and even solo-queuing felt like I had a fireteam half the time at least. Contrast D1 where everyone goes lone-wolf because they know they can be halfway successful by shotgunning/sniping/sticking, even though it leads to their team losing. I think the change to capturing points might have some psychological effect on this too - people seemed to play the objective much more in beta (maybe the simplified scoring helps too?).

And, even with much smaller maps, worse radar, radar not coming back after ADS, etc., I felt like I could track people and understand what was going on better in the beta. Maybe I suck because I can't track 6 people, but coming back to D1 it is just crazy - I must have spawned into a deathtrap 10 times last night, or had people coming from weird places to shoulder charge me, etc. This is definitely fun sometimes, and I don't disagree that it has a place, and never having larger teams will probably be disappointing. However, when I want to feel like I'm actually doing something and have control of my destiny, the new map design and 4v4 sure felt good.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Those are really useful and interesting thoughts. I was wondering what people would think about D1 after playing D2 Crucible.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    edited August 2017
    Btw, the Traveler is obviously a giant baseball, you fools. I mean, the Mets logo depicts the Traveler's reflection of the Last City. It's poignant. Did you think I was a Mets fan because they are a good baseball team? Did you think I enjoyed being let down year after year? Pfft. I have the Jets for that.
    vk7i1z2fxmwj.png

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That spawning into a deathtrap thing has felt particularly egregious this IB and I don't know if it's just me or if it's really that bad.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Btw, the Traveler is obviously a giant baseball, you fools. I mean, the Mets logo depicts the Traveler's reflection of the Last City. It's poignant. Did you think I was a Mets fan because they are a good baseball team? Did you think I enjoyed being let down year after year? Pfft. I have the Jets for that.
    vk7i1z2fxmwj.png

OP without Mets logo? Pre-order canceled.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    What is the LAST IB EVAR? Is this a stupid support model or what? Just... anyway.

I haven't bothered playing since I got to shirt stuff done.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    That spawning into a deathtrap thing has felt particularly egregious this IB and I don't know if it's just me or if it's really that bad.

It was definitely noticeable when squall and I were playing last night. Part of it is just that a lot of the Rise of Iron maps (which seem to comprise a great portion of the IB rotation) are... uh... not good and apparently have a lot of sightlines onto spawn points from all over the place (see: Floating Gardens and Icarus). In addition, you have what Brood was describing: people not really playing the objective, which confuses Destiny's "spawn-location finder", causing it to plop you down in wacky places.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I joined halfway into a match on Dungeons and got killed by supers and heavy weapons a good 7-8 times.

It's not the best 6v6 map.

edited August 2017
    Late to the party perspective but I think the Rise of Iron maps are pretty good as a group (Floating Gardens, Last Exit, Skyline). I think a bunch of the TTK maps are hot garbage (Vertigo, Crossroads) or really mediocre (Cathedral of Dusk, The Dungeons) and I don't really know what happened in that expansion.

Peen on
    Late to the party perspective but I think the Rise of Iron maps are pretty good as a group (Floating Gardens, Last Exit, Skyline). I think a bunch of the TTK maps are hot garbage (Vertigo, Crossroads) or really mediocre (Cathedral of Dusk, The Dungeons) and I don't really know what happened in that expansion.

I think their map design sensibilities went all haywire due to accounting for Rift compatibility on a majority of maps, rather than just crafting maps specifically for Rift.

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Thank you all for talking about this like it's a real thing, so I can continue thinking I don't suck (a lot).

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Skillbased matchmaking will often come at the loss of having that sensation of doing consistently well in the Crucible.

Sirialis on
    edited August 2017

Cathedral of Dusk is hot garbage on any mode. Vertigo I enjoyed, Crossroads is dumb for the same reason people hate Shores of Time (there is an obvious, you never ever want it control point). Floating Gardens I don't get much out of as there are generally only 3 conflict points on the map with any regularity and they are all just around B. Last Exit A and C are not equal in terms of capturing as C has 3 ways you can approach it from the outside (left of the wall, over the wall or right of the wall) whereas you always have to just come around the corner at A if you are coming from outside. Skyline is fine, except on Rift, it is egregiously awful on rift with how wide open the sprint to the rift is. Dungeons will always be fun for dropping down the chimney at B, turning the corner and shoulder charging someone to death.

Edit - And the best map in the entire game is still Exodus Blue, for delicious, delicious lightning grenade multi kills on B.

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
    I'll believe you if you say you like it but Vertigo is terrible, it's "hallways: the map" and it has at least one spawn where you can't take one step backwards or you fall off the map. I like Skyline because of the raging shitshow that always happens around B/the rift but then it opens up outside, it's a little more of a mixed bag in Clash because one team can take control of the inside and then just hang out in there (like what happens in Black Shield but not as bad, also fuck Black Shield in general). I think A is ok in Last Exit, you can come down the stairs or through the hallway or through the train tunnels (which a lot of people forget about and don't watch), but you're right that you end up coming through a doorway no matter what you do and it's easier to cover.

CRUCIBLE HOT TAKES

I really miss the original maps. Maybe it's dumb nostalgia. A lot of them were super flawed. But I just never got into any new maps the same way I got into the first batch. Rusted Lands, Firebase Delphi, Blind Watch, Twilight Gap, Shores of Time. Maybe in that order.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    https://www.the100.io/game/1014262
    Iron Banner, saturday at 8pm est. Last Iron Banner and all, seemed like we should try to get a party together for it.

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Delphi, Blind Watch, and Shores are all ridiculously one-sided maps. Gap I'm just horrendous on but it seems like a pretty good map? Rusted is a very well-balanced asymmetrical map. Love playing on it.

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
    Yeah, Rusted Lands would definitely get my vote for "best map", even if it's not necessarily my favorite. I have a strange affinity for Asylum, but it has its fair share of issues. I've eventually come around on @rndmhero's favorite, Widow's Court, but I'm still pretty triggered by the sound of MIDA due to it.

I'm a big fan of Asylum, Anomaly, Cauldron, Pantheon, and Thieves' Den. I also think Burning Shrine for 6s is fun in a "complete chaos" kinda way.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    TW@B is up. https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46102

PC Beta has the same content as the console version, except Control will be played on a new map, Javelin-4. Also, there will be small tuning changes based on feedback from the console beta, though those are left vague.
    Also, due to the game's anti-cheat, several external applications may be affected when running the game and those can be found here: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46101
    The game doesn't support Game Capture using OBS and XSplit for streaming, along with Discord/Mumble overlays and frame counters from programs like Fraps :/ Streaming this game or using any sort of outside chat program is going to be a nightmare, this sucks.

• DrellokDrellok Bogey's Turrible Wingman Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Also, due to the game's anti-cheat, several external applications may be affected when running the game and those can be found here: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46101
    The game doesn't support Game Capture using OBS and XSplit for streaming, along with Discord/Mumble overlays and frame counters from programs like Fraps :/ Streaming this game or using any sort of outside chat program is going to be a nightmare, this sucks.

....this is some goosery right there, and a deal breaker for me.

XBL: DrellokTV
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    TW@B is up. https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46102

PC Beta has the same content as the console version, except Control will be played on a new map, Javelin-4. Also, there will be small tuning changes based on feedback from the console beta, though those are left vague.

Sounds like using the Steam Controller is also going to be an even larger pain than it already is with Battle.net games. I'm dubious that this is the best way to prevent cheating given that there aren't really any other games this picky about overlays.

Frem on
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sounds like they're taking their attack surface seriously at least.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
    skyknyt wrote: »

If by seriously, you mean insanely wrong, yes. Whitelisting known, trusted, applications that have been around for years (Fraps, Mumble!, etc...) would have been a much better solution, imo.

Drellok wrote: »

If by seriously, you mean insanely wrong, yes. Whitelisting known, trusted, applications that have been around for years (Fraps, Mumble!, etc...) would have been a much better solution, imo.

Aren't you gonna be playing on Xbone anyway?

vq2TEKC.png
    Vagabond wrote: »

Aren't you gonna be playing on Xbone anyway?

I was strongly considering playing on both.

• FremFrem Registered User regular

That'd shift the attack surface to those third party applications, which isn't much of an improvement.

Frem wrote: »

That'd shift the attack surface to those third party applications, which isn't much of an improvement.

counterpoint: has there been verified proof that these programs have been used to inject malicious code into a game, thus enabling a cheat of some sort for any game that supports these applications?

I'll believe you if you say you like it but Vertigo is terrible, it's "hallways: the map" and it has at least one spawn where you can't take one step backwards or you fall off the map. I like Skyline because of the raging shitshow that always happens around B/the rift but then it opens up outside, it's a little more of a mixed bag in Clash because one team can take control of the inside and then just hang out in there (like what happens in Black Shield but not as bad, also fuck Black Shield in general). I think A is ok in Last Exit, you can come down the stairs or through the hallway or through the train tunnels (which a lot of people forget about and don't watch), but you're right that you end up coming through a doorway no matter what you do and it's easier to cover.

CRUCIBLE HOT TAKES

Vertigo definitely has its share of Hallways but I always felt that was balanced out by the change in pace that comes from the extra dimension the portal platform brings. I always enjoyed holding A and C with a couple scout users/snipers with someone watching their back for people coming through the portal. Plus on Rift you would be amazed how many people just seemed to forget the portal existed so you could get crazy easy slams. Besides the original hallways the map will always belong to Pantheon (I feel like I'm on a MOBA map playing it) or for more corridor fun, Thieves Den.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »

Cathedral of Dusk is hot garbage on any mode. Vertigo I enjoyed, Crossroads is dumb for the same reason people hate Shores of Time (there is an obvious, you never ever want it control point). Floating Gardens I don't get much out of as there are generally only 3 conflict points on the map with any regularity and they are all just around B. Last Exit A and C are not equal in terms of capturing as C has 3 ways you can approach it from the outside (left of the wall, over the wall or right of the wall) whereas you always have to just come around the corner at A if you are coming from outside. Skyline is fine, except on Rift, it is egregiously awful on rift with how wide open the sprint to the rift is. Dungeons will always be fun for dropping down the chimney at B, turning the corner and shoulder charging someone to death.

Edit - And the best map in the entire game is still Exodus Blue, for delicious, delicious lightning grenade multi kills on B.
    No.

Just no.

CRUCIBLE HOT TAKES

Vertigo definitely has its share of Hallways but I always felt that was balanced out by the change in pace that comes from the extra dimension the portal platform brings. I always enjoyed holding A and C with a couple scout users/snipers with someone watching their back for people coming through the portal. Plus on Rift you would be amazed how many people just seemed to forget the portal existed so you could get crazy easy slams. Besides the original hallways the map will always belong to Pantheon (I feel like I'm on a MOBA map playing it) or for more corridor fun, Thieves Den.

At least those maps have some squares or multiple points, Vertigo is a giant dumb V and you can pick inside or outside but that's about it. At this point it feels to me like going out on the platform is asking to get murdered but I don't play with the best people.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

....this is some goosery right there, and a deal breaker for me.

Call me cynical, but doesn't Blizzard have a stream ability included in the Battle.net launcher program? Could be A/B trying to get users to go for their own flavor of streaming service with a big-name title.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png

No.

Just no.

I'm sorry you hate nice things :(

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, run borderless windowed instead of fullscreen like the heathens you are and then you capture just fine without issue...

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Hey guys, run borderless windowed instead of fullscreen like the heathens you are and then you capture just fine without issue...

Sounds exactly like what a cheater would say.

Bursar wrote: »
    Call me cynical, but doesn't Blizzard have a stream ability included in the Battle.net launcher program? Could be A/B trying to get users to go for their own flavor of streaming service with a big-name title.

yep. you can stream to Facebook live from the B.net launcher
    HooverFan wrote: »

Sure, let me use the 2 capture modes that are crap compared to game capture and known to cause worse screen tearing/artifacting. Guess I can pray to RNGeezus that Bungo doesn't cap FPS in borderless windowed mode on my 144hz monitor, too.

No.

Just no.

Exodus Blue is okay for rumble and 3v3 modes.

For 6v6, it is the antithesis of a good map.

No.

Just no.

That may be so, but my 10 lightning grenade multi-kills on B in control certainly make it a fun time.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    edited August 2017

No.

Just no.

That may be so, but my 10 lightning grenade multi-kills on B in control certainly make it a fun time.

I did once get a breaker on B with 2 lightning grenades, but if anything that means it is too easy to challenge B.

ElementWrath on