As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chilean art gallery [chat]

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    a lot of super malformed style drop biscuits are nasty as shit because they get super dry since the density or thickness or whatever isnt uniform

Yes, if you utterly fail to laminate the dough correctly and just jackson pollock the dough across the pan lol

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    how does white gravy differ from Bechamel, the mother sauce?

cracked black pepper basically

i love black pepper.
    just never stop putting it on gravy or grits or eggs
    allt he black pepper

Were these magic grits?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Wait wait biscuits should have fkin pastry dough in them?!

The way you mix the butter in laminates the dough in a manner similar to pastry dough

I think a lot of the biscuits I've had are drop biscuits. Which are terrible and whoever invented them should be ashamed.

You still laminate the dough in drop biscuits, they're the only kind I make

You've probably mostly had rolled biscuits, those are the kinds you get in restaurants and most mid-east and northern recipes. Were they smooth-topped and cylindrical, or spiky and malformed?

Perhaps you are correcr but I would be surprised. Both are good, but rolled are much more breadlike.

Spiky and malformed and almost always undercooked inside.

if they're undercooked inside it's because people don't understand you should never have your burner on high unless you're boiling water

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

The way you mix the butter in laminates the dough in a manner similar to pastry dough

I think a lot of the biscuits I've had are drop biscuits. Which are terrible and whoever invented them should be ashamed.

You've probably mostly had rolled biscuits, those are the kinds you get in restaurants and most mid-east and northern recipes. Were they smooth-topped and cylindrical, or spiky and malformed?

Perhaps you are correcr but I would be surprised. Both are good, but rolled are much more breadlike.

Hm okay you have been done wrong, DK. I will fix this next time I'm in Boston.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

if they're undercooked inside it's because people don't understand you should never have your burner on high unless you're boiling water

omg thank you.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    God damn it. I'm actually gonna end up buying that $170 lego Saturn V aren't I.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    A biscuit is a hockey puck that goes with other food but what makes a stunningly great biscuit?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/the-food-lab-buttermilk-biscuits-recipe.html

This looks pretty tasty hmm

I haven't baked in some time

perhaps the answer to your question can be found with your own stomach

• Options
    I'm making biscuits tonight, I will document the process for you nerds.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Oh shit I overslept like a mofo.

Whew.....

Also I'm from Alabama, I know how to scratch biscuit.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

1) Go to store
    2) Buy biscuits

Easy!

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    These wounds they will not heal

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Texas biscuits are garbage.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I mean is the motivation that much different from a school shooter?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    A biscuit is a hockey puck that goes with other food but what makes a stunningly great biscuit?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/the-food-lab-buttermilk-biscuits-recipe.html

This looks pretty tasty hmm

I haven't baked in some time

perhaps the answer to your question can be found with your own stomach

On the other hand after losing weight lately I gained back like 1.5 lbs

The only thing I should be cooking is meth

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    what the fuck possesses a 23 year old kid with their entire life in front of them to blow up a bomb in a crowd of children

i will never understand this kind of evil

Isolation, disconnect from the majority of society, the search for purpose, discrimination and marginalization due to minority status, poverty, lack of attainable future, structural racism, need for a sense of belonging with an in group, looking for empowerment, resentment of the majority, and such are like the short list.

These are all things that can be exploited and turn people against each other. I am trying not to be insulting so please don't take it that way. The privilege of being the majority in a country with all the rights is really what probably makes the disconnect for you much greater. If someone comes to you and says, "You can be more than you are now just do this" the draw is a lot less since you are towards the top of the socioeconomic pile compared to a lot of these folks.

No, I get all of that. I am a firm believer that the root of conflict is economics.

If I am a young impressionable male with no education, no job, no purpose, no real future, I can see how someone saying "here is a cause, if you die for it you will live in heaven for eternity and will be remembered as a martyr.

I am just commenting on the nature of evil, and the mental leap it takes to go from reading Islamic terrorist websites to actually building a bomb, strapping it to yourself, and setting it off in a crowd of children.

A lot of the movement from start to end is the dehumanization of the majority and who you view as your oppressors. In fact a lot of the western leaders and their actions and how the speak reinforce an us verse them narrative. Where these already isolated young folks (not all are men) feel the only way to save themselves, their family, and those they care about is extreme action.

Also doesn't help that as a species a lot of long term consequence brain functions and stuff kind of gets turned way down during puberty which in men can go into their early 20's.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

I wish i wasnt on mobile

I made biscuits and gravy and documented and posted to chat a few months back and was like shooting the shit with your dad in real time about it

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

for making biscuits?

where are you nexus

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

probably not

also some people just have broken brains, and there is no logic involved

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    now lets discuss our favourite kinds of mayonnaise

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    what the fuck possesses a 23 year old kid with their entire life in front of them to blow up a bomb in a crowd of children

i will never understand this kind of evil

people like you deliberately choose not to understand that pained and enraged spectrum of humanity

You see their actions and think those actions stand alone and not in the context of years of thoughts and events and and emotions and idea

What makes you think "people like me" deliberately choose not to understand? Who exactly are "people like me"?

I am not quite sure what your problem with me is. Every now and then for the past 5 or so years you come out of the woodwork and make some snide pontification about things you assume I know nothing about. It's boring, and it makes you look like an asshole. Maybe you're just obsessed with me?

Either bow up and kiss me, or go away, please.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Sleep wrote: »
    Hmm I think I will sign your petition DK

I must assume yall have not had good biscuits, but I am also reluctant to tell people they really like something when they don't, so

idk they are just bread pucks, it seems like if you like buttery pastry there's nothing not to like

I mean the position being put forth is that biscuits are merely okay and the ceiling stops short of greatness, right? No one hates biscuits per se.

I've had loaves of handmade Rosemary bread that just wonderful in the textures of softness of bread and satisfying chewy crust and the flavors are wonderful plain or with butter etc

Look I've had focaccia made fresh, in a quaint seaside village in Italy with fresh local olives and wine, pretty much top tier of bread experiences.

I believe in the southern US I could find a parallel experience with biscuits and sausage gravy.

You could, but you'd be in the southern US, which is kind of what's driving my frustration here, since i can't help but think that's part of the disconnect

Another part of the disconnect is that it's hard to trust southerners. They're fiercely proud of their food traditions and claim you cannot have possibly had good X outside the south. But this is of course nonsense, all these thingns are available most places if you know where to look. And while some are actually good, others are not. Sweet tea is terrible, for example. The more traditional the worse it is.

I feel this is not a uniquely southern thing, though.

It's like NYC people talking about pizza. You can get very, very good NY-style pizza outside of NYC without much effort.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    These woooooooounds they wiiiiiiiill not heaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

• Options
    edited May 2017
    a5ehren wrote: »

I must assume yall have not had good biscuits, but I am also reluctant to tell people they really like something when they don't, so

idk they are just bread pucks, it seems like if you like buttery pastry there's nothing not to like

I mean the position being put forth is that biscuits are merely okay and the ceiling stops short of greatness, right? No one hates biscuits per se.

I've had loaves of handmade Rosemary bread that just wonderful in the textures of softness of bread and satisfying chewy crust and the flavors are wonderful plain or with butter etc

Look I've had focaccia made fresh, in a quaint seaside village in Italy with fresh local olives and wine, pretty much top tier of bread experiences.

I believe in the southern US I could find a parallel experience with biscuits and sausage gravy.

You could, but you'd be in the southern US, which is kind of what's driving my frustration here, since i can't help but think that's part of the disconnect

Another part of the disconnect is that it's hard to trust southerners. They're fiercely proud of their food traditions and claim you cannot have possibly had good X outside the south. But this is of course nonsense, all these thingns are available most places if you know where to look. And while some are actually good, others are not. Sweet tea is terrible, for example. The more traditional the worse it is.

I feel this is not a uniquely southern thing, though. It's like NYC people talking about pizza.

And, again, they aren't completely wrong.

I've had "nyc pizza" outside of nyc that is nothing like actual nyc pizza. I've found a few places here and there.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Sweet tea is tea with ungodly amounts of sugar

tea is good

ungoldy amounts of sugar is good

only a yankee with a nose so high they'd drown in rainwater could object

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

It's like NYC people talking about pizza. You can get very, very good NY-style pizza outside of NYC without much effort.

Anyone outside of the United Kingdom will boast of their regional food

The Welsh always pivot to a different topic

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

duke's

919UOwT.png
  • Options

Yeah this is a United States thing.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Hm okay you have been done wrong, DK. I will fix this next time I'm in Boston.

Biscuit party!!

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Blue Plate is the best brand of mayo.
    Anyone who argues otherwise is just wrong

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

duke's

do you or do you not put a layer on a pizza?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Sweet tea makes me want to resurrect Sherman

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    league of legends board game coming in the mail today awesome

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Texture (varies by person but I prefer mine with layers, slightly fluffy but with a crispness throughout), perfect amounts of salt and butter (also varies obv.).

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @Donkey Kong apparently the biscuits at sweet cheeks in boston are supposed to be excellent

pls investigate and report back

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »

Anyone outside of the United Kingdom will boast of their regional food

The Welsh always pivot to a different topic

The U.K. Will brag about their national cuisine: Curry

• Options

NYC people thinking they're the only ones with magic garbage water

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    I've had bagels outside the NYC metro area. That was a mistake. They were horrible.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

I'm a yankee so Hellmans, although supposedly Dukes is good but I've never had the opportunity to try it

Do they import either of those down under?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Dukes or Bama for mayo

• Options
    I've had bagels outside the NYC metro area. That was a mistake. They were horrible.

usually yes

oddly enough the best bagel i've had was in staunton, va

This discussion has been closed.