As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh, renewable filtration is going to be useful.

This run I have a poluted oxygen vent near my base, that I surrounded with air scrubbers. It's a pretty good source of oxygen, but eats through a lot of sand.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

This run I have a poluted oxygen vent near my base, that I surrounded with air scrubbers. It's a pretty good source of oxygen, but eats through a lot of sand.

You can always pound rock into sand too with the brute force refiner.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

You can always pound rock into sand too with the brute force refiner.

And here I thought that the advice, "go pound sand" was to do something useless. ;-)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    The clay produced by the scrubbers was two uses.

First, it can be turned into ceramic in a kiln. That is what I mainly do now because not only is it great for insulating (it's one of the few materials with the Insulator property) but it also gives a +20% decor boost like granite.
    Second, if your regular Hatches are hungry they'll gladly scarf down all the clay you can spare, turning it into coal.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    330 hours in an I just noticed that gas pumps don't need to be on the ground

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    The new update is brutal on stress levels. I'm thinking they will have to roll it back a little. All my guys stress shot up like crazy.

• Options
    The new update is brutal on stress levels. I'm thinking they will have to roll it back a little. All my guys stress shot up like crazy.

I thought it was just me. Haven't had a successful colony in this patch yet.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Is stress broken now?

My one dupe spent the entire day on a massage table and went from 93% stress to 97% stress.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Is stress broken now?

My one dupe spent the entire day on a massage table and went from 93% stress to 97% stress.

What were the decorations around the table? I wonder if really low decor can even off set the stress relief of the table?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    I basically had to fire all my dupes from their jobs to get it low enough to get a quarter day of work. It seems like the requirements are likely very specific and also it is tuned around social interaction. The schedule system isn't implemented so they don't hang out and get that other than incidentally.

• Options
    Is stress broken now?

What were the decorations around the table? I wonder if really low decor can even off set the stress relief of the table?

5 creativity painting right above it, and another next to it. There was some more paintings and a pot plant in that room, but I think they were out of range.

I suspect that tier2 jobs require too much stress relief activities at the moment.

Maybe I'll restart and mess with the room layouts some more.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Ugh, sounds like it. I started a game yesterday to try out the changes, but hadn't gotten very far.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Is stress broken now?

5 creativity painting right above it, and another next to it. There was some more paintings and a pot plant in that room, but I think they were out of range.

I suspect that tier2 jobs require too much stress relief activities at the moment.

I haven't played since the "official" update so there might have been a last minute change, but I was able to manage stress before then during the testing phase, even for the highest tier jobs.

The new Morale thing makes giving your dupes a complete, wholesome experience much more important, because you can't just "make up" for horrible food and living conditions with just more massage tables. Terrible food isn't just a negative thought that fades away, its something that might put their morale below a threshold that causes building stress for the *entire* cycle, or at least until they eat something better.

It's also important for your dupes to be able to spend enough time with rec activities to "complete" the activity, as that's extra morale. Don't need to extend the break time for more than what it already is, but multiple toilets so everyone can do their business and get to relaxing is a must, as is using the scheduling to make sure only 6-7 dupes are on break at a time, because most of those new rec buildings have a limit on how many dupes they can benefit at once.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Is stress broken now?

I haven't played since the "official" update so there might have been a last minute change, but I was able to manage stress before then during the testing phase, even for the highest tier jobs.

The new Morale thing makes giving your dupes a complete, wholesome experience much more important, because you can't just "make up" for horrible food and living conditions with just more massage tables. Terrible food isn't just a negative thought that fades away, its something that might put their morale below a threshold that causes building stress for the *entire* cycle, or at least until they eat something better.

It's also important for your dupes to be able to spend enough time with rec activities to "complete" the activity, as that's extra morale. Don't need to extend the break time for more than what it already is, but multiple toilets so everyone can do their business and get to relaxing is a must, as is using the scheduling to make sure only 6-7 dupes are on break at a time, because most of those new rec buildings have a limit on how many dupes they can benefit at once.

Hmm, not sure how to manage this early game.

Only food available is meal lice and some berries. Bathrooms are okay, each dupe gets multiple.

Only rec building they get is a water cooler, in a room with a pot plant for the room bonus.

After several starts, it looks like my stress becomes a problem by turn 20, and the colony becomes unrecoverable by turn 60.

If I get a tier 2 miner for abyssalite, and drop them back to tier 1, would they still have the higher food quality requirement? That's really the only tier 2 profession I need early game.

And would trying to replace the food with grilled berries help? That would throw out my power requirement curve though.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Is stress broken now?

Hmm, not sure how to manage this early game.

Only food available is meal lice and some berries. Bathrooms are okay, each dupe gets multiple.

Only rec building they get is a water cooler, in a room with a pot plant for the room bonus.

After several starts, it looks like my stress becomes a problem by turn 20, and the colony becomes unrecoverable by turn 60.

If I get a tier 2 miner for abyssalite, and drop them back to tier 1, would they still have the higher food quality requirement? That's really the only tier 2 profession I need early game.

And would trying to replace the food with grilled berries help? That would throw out my power requirement curve though.

Needs are based on the highest tier job the dupe is either employed in or mastered, so dropping them down afterwards won't help.

Gristle Berries work well, and would actually take less power than liceloaf (unless you aren't making liceloaf at all... and if so, why?) Also be on the lookout for wild sleet wheat plants in the ice biome that are at or close to fully grown, and try to harvest them to make Frost Buns. Finially, get some hatch ranches going, using their eggs to make omelettes... and slaughtering the ones close to death for meat that you can use to make barbecue with wild pincha peppermint, then set food allowances so only the dupes closest to breaking get it and benefit from the massive morale buff from the food quality and the Soul Food stress reduction.

EDIT: in fact, Hatches can help with your terrible food problem *and* the increase power you will need for all of the above, because a full ranch of well fed hatches, especially Sage Hatches, can power a coal generator all on their own.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I might need to put this down for a while. Still can't get past cycle 20 since the update.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Okay, starting it up this morning, not deep in but it looks like they did make a change that might hurt your chances.

Mainly, the default break period is about two periods shorter than it was last time I played. Might want to extend it as the base gets bigger, because that (as well as room bonuses) are your biggest morale boosters.

EDIT: Speaking of, there are a lot more rooms that they added since then as well. Looks like Massage Tables need to be in their own room, not just with all the other rec stuff, and that upgrading your bathrooms with plumbing, and giving dupes their own room once you can build the luxury bedrooms will give extra morale as well.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    So, start of Cycle 20 and the highest Stress I have is 2%, no Massage Tables required yet.

Things that I have learned so far.

-Do not give Dupes jobs you can't support the Morale needs for unless you absolutely need to. Every point of Morale you are under is +5% stress per cycle. If you go from Apprentice Miner to Miner (which has a Morale requirement of 8) when you are only getting 3 Morale on average, that's +25% per cycle stress you have to massage out of them now. Cycle them through other jobs of equal or lower tier to give them skills any dupe could find useful (like strength from gofer, or mining through hard rocks with Apprentice Miner) If you were the kind of player that immediately dug straight down for Oil ASAP, all other needs beyond keeping them alive secondary, Stop That. That way lies madness now.

-Room bonuses are everything. Slept in a Barracks? +1 Morale. Ate in a Mess Hall? +3 Morale. Enclosed Bathroom? +1 Morale, +2 if it had plumbing. Rec Room makes break time at the water cooler give +2 morale overall, and while I haven't made them yet, there are also the Great Hall and personal Bedrooms, which I'm sure will result in even more morale bonuses.

-The default break period is too short for giving everyone the time to poop, eat and socialize. Need at least 3 units of time dedicated to that, more if you don't have enough bathrooms to service a third or more of the dupes going on break at a time. Make new schedules to split up when the dupes go on break as well so you aren't building a new bathroom every 3 dupes you get.

-When dupes talk to each other outside of Rec time, they give each other at least a -5% stress buff, with one usually get more based on what was said. Try to build your base in a way that dupes will cross each other's path regularly, and maybe have that path go through where your Scientist is researching so they don't slowly go insane.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Try to build your base in a way that dupes will cross each other's path regularly, and maybe have that path go through where your Scientist is researching so they don't slowly go insane.

But then how will you have a mad scientist if they aren't insane?

• Options
    Yeah, I wasn't as aggressive as some about digging for oil, and I've been a bit more careful about getting decor up in areas that my dupes frequent, but I haven't had too much issue in the new game I started, though I'm now teetering on the point that is always a bit of a tricky part for me. I have a relatively stable setup with my 8 dupes, and shuffling them around jobs that are tier 3 or lower without any morale problems. However, I have two big transitions coming up 1) getting an ice biome water cooling system setup to get more water into my base 2) digging for oil.

The oil part is blessfully close to my base, and has ice biomes on either side of it, so I'm optimistic. Though I've never done a particularly great job with getting oil working well (most of my bases come to a screeching halt here, I've only been able to setup one base that was semi-stable where I had enough oil/plastic to get suits. I should probably watch some videos about that. One of the things that I tried this round that has made a great impact is setting up my oxygen generators in such a way that they're selfsustaining. Its made a huuuuge difference in my power requirements.

• Options
    I tried the self-sustaining oxygen setup and it still seemed that I needed a second power source for the system to keep it running, even if that's just a hamster wheel for a dupe to run on once in a while.

If you are into ranching, you can somewhat sidestep, or at least delay, going for oil by raising Glossy Dreckos. Setting up the perfect room that's mostly hydrogen yet still has a surface layer that isn't for the mealwood is a pain, but pulling it off means plastic you don't have to mine and refine for. (Also IIRC the exosuits don't take plastic, just copper and wool from reeds or Dreckos.)

Right now the real resource pain people are feeling is lime for steel to make surface stuff, you just simply can't get enough from just eggs to build anything substantial unless you are breeding dozens of hatches and fish for their eggs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't know half of that! (I think I may just associate the head bubble on suits with needing oil? I dunno) Thanks! I haven't done anything on the surface yet, and my ranching is very ... crude. I have one room that has glow bugs, which I've been using as a source of eggs for omelettes, and another for hatches, providing coal and eggs. I wish there was some way to set up some automation to say something like "When a room is full either kill critters for meat or harvest eggs".

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I need a better airlock system. The 5x6 block filled with water is pretty lame, and ruins my aesthetic.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    I need a better airlock system. The 5x6 block filled with water is pretty lame, and ruins my aesthetic.

You could set a suit a pressure sensor set to only activate the automation at zero to the doors and a pressure plate. Set the doors opposite so if one is open the other closes and locks. Have a pump pump all the gas into the interior.

That will take power though.

• Options
    edited August 2018

You could set a suit a pressure sensor set to only activate the automation at zero to the doors and a pressure plate. Set the doors opposite so if one is open the other closes and locks. Have a pump pump all the gas into the interior.

That will take power though.

The time would be the biggest obstacle for something like this. A lot of my airwater-locks are in high traffic areas.

I tend to seal off my base with abyssalite and airlocks, with a couple of atmo suit rooms for going outside.

Food is stored in an airlocked chlorine room for sealed in freshness.

So lots of back and forth traffic.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Do you want to keep the gas in the airtight chamber in, or is it more (or just as) important to keep unwanted gases out?

If you are just worried about in, you can do something like this:

nlJKtzn.jpg

High Pressure vent keeps the pressure in the airlock chamber to just over 5k (nat gas geysers can't pump in rooms with over 5k pressure, so its chamber will never be higher than that) with the dial getting set lower as the nat gas chamber's pressure decreases. when the door to the geyser opens, the air in the airlock rushes into the geyser room, not the other way around. The air pump sending the gas to the generators has a filter to make sure the nat gas goes its own way, which is necessary for this setup, but there should be 0 chance of it being set loose in your base as long as the pressure in the airlock stays high.

If out is as important as in, you can also do something like this:

HJaxAcd.jpg

Since Co2 is the heaviest gas, it can be used to fill a lower chamber that the dupes enter from, keeping the desired gas (in this case, Chlorine to clean any slime and algae of slimelung) in the chamber you want it in, without having it "mix in" with other gases that might spoil the result. Similar setup with a horizontal door (yes, you can rotate doors so dupes enter then from above/below) can also be used for Drecko ranches to fill the chamber with as much hydrogen as possible while still having just enough oxygen or Co2 for the mealwood plants.
    Oh, I didn't know half of that! (I think I may just associate the head bubble on suits with needing oil? I dunno) Thanks! I haven't done anything on the surface yet, and my ranching is very ... crude. I have one room that has glow bugs, which I've been using as a source of eggs for omelettes, and another for hatches, providing coal and eggs. I wish there was some way to set up some automation to say something like "When a room is full either kill critters for meat or harvest eggs".

...Sort of? Have autosweepers in the ranch to pick up eggs and put them on a conveyor, conveyor moves said eggs to a vertical shaft with another autosweeper and a (unreachable or otherwise dupe-forbidden) storage container set for eggs. BUT, second autosweeper is set up with an automation loop that keeps it active in IIRC 2-3 second bursts; long enough to pick up the egg, but not long enough to transfer it to the container. You can do this by having a Buffer and NOT gate feeding into each other, with the sweeper between Buffer's output and NOT's input (might at a filler gate between NOT->Buffer too for a longer delay... not necessary for it to work as the one frame it's off is enough for it to drop it, but more for your sanity so it isn't beeping all the goddamn time) This causes it to drop the egg into the bottom of the shaft, where the auto-sweeper cannot reach. As long as the egg didn't sit inside a container for too long, it should still be hatchable, and that should keep the ranches clear so the critters inside keep laying eggs with no delay.

If you want to separate a couple of eggs for hatching, have a second autosweeper at the bottom that sends an egg to another shaft, this one with a pressure plate that disables the sweeper, a memory toggle to make sure the sweeper doesn't come back on until you need another egg and toggle whatever thing you have attached to the reset node, and a gate which your ranchers can enter to take the egg to the incubator, but other dupes cannot, with the egg-breaking chamber being a place that other dupes can enter, but your ranchers cannot.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hmm, I might do that CO2/Chlorine thing for my food storage area. There its more important for the Chlorine to stay put and not enter the base proper.

That at least has a mechanical benefit of keeping my dupes dry.

Other areas where I put airlocks are my pumping stations, and those are kept as a single gas type.

Or I can turn my entire base into a diving bell. Finally a use for those CO2 geysers.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    I feel like I really need to read up on some of the new(er) stuff. I played a lot earlier on, but took a break, and now stuff like the autosweeper and much of the stuff newer than that, I have no idea how to use.

Thanks for the tips!

• Options
    Space is slowly invading the upper biomes.

I'm going to need a lot of steel

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Space is slowly invading the upper biomes.

I'm going to need a lot of steel

You need to regenerate the map. They patched it so meteors don't destroy in as far.

• Options
    So my dupes are not moving trapped Morbs?

And any tips on moving flying critters? So far I'm just waiting for them to lay eggs and absconding with them to slowly move them to where I want.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options

And any tips on moving flying critters? So far I'm just waiting for them to lay eggs and absconding with them to slowly move them to where I want.

Is your dropoff point set for morbs? If so it might be a priority issue.

There is a flying critter trap too I think, but I've never used it.

• Options

Is your dropoff point set for morbs? If so it might be a priority issue.

There is a flying critter trap too I think, but I've never used it.

It's not a trap, it's a lure, and the range is only about 15-ish tiles.

You have to build one lure, bait it, then wall up/close off the direction you don't want them to go, tear down lure, rebuilt it closer to where you want them, rinse, repeat.

So yeah, waiting for them to lay their egg and then taking the egg to where you want the ranch to be is pretty much always the superior way to go.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Drop off is set, priority 9. Maybe I need a seasoned rancher. I'll try that.

Yeah, the lure thing won't work, they're too spread out.

Eggs it is.

Edit: wild critters don't starve right? So I can just collect all the fish into one location for a sready supply of meat/egg shells without worrying about them?

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options

Eggs it is.

Edit: wild critters don't starve right? So I can just collect all the fish into one location for a sready supply of meat/egg shells without worrying about them?

You'll have to set up something to pick up the eggs though, because they'll still get the "expecting" debuff if the pond is too full.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Eggs it is.

All creatures will die at the end of their lifecycle. So you'll want to look out for that. Hatchs are 100 cycles.

• Options
    So I figuired out the morb thing.

Even though morbs don't seem to count against the critter limit for having other critters dropped off with them, other critters still count whether morbs will be dropped off or not.

Once I seperated their drop off point from the rest, they got moved quickly.

Can my room be larger than 96 squares, and still use the stable buildings? I know I wont get the bonus, but 96 squares is restrictive when trying to make an escape proof drecko farm.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    The new update is changing Oil so that heating it no longer produces natural gas but instead produces sour gas, which condenses into napatha.

• Options
    The new update is changing Oil so that heating it no longer produces natural gas but instead produces sour gas, which condenses into napatha.

Guess that makes the oil generator more useful though.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

You forgot to mention the headline feature...

SPACESHIP!