As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is [Love]? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more...

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I honestly feel like people treat chocolate kind of like how the internet treats bacon.

I mean, sure it's okay. Not really my thing. But everyone fucking loses their mind about chocolate when it's mentioned and how they have to get some. The taste has always been kind of meh for milk chocolate, and absolutely no go for darker (yay supertasting). And then you get to Hershey's chocolate which is kind of burney and that's just unpleasant.

My exception is PB Cups, but that's because peanut butter is great.

Just for sorta-educational purposes: Fellow supertaster here, absolutely love chocolate, especially the dark stuff. I mostly got hit hard with green vegetables tasting like someone's trying to kill me... and milk tasting just completely vile.

E: The point being, though I'm sure Bowen and any others of my mutant tribe know, we all still get to have individual tastes.

Yeah dark chocolate is much easier to eat than stuff like brussels or cabbage. Raw uncooked cabbage in tiny amounts and spinach actually taste alright. When they're cooked it just makes them taste like absolute shit to me. Raw brussels still taste like fucking death though.

Milk tastes fine to me, love it.

I've heard there's some super tasters that can't do fried food at all... which makes me ?????

There must be some variation in how supertasting expresses itself.

I actually like cabbage, as a rule, regardless of what got done to it. Doesn't set me off. Spinach is 50/50 but much nastier raw.

Fried artichoke leaves, which are an appetizer at a restaurant I've gone to several times, make me make a face which is apparently really memorable, to the point where I get dared to have some once a year and just can't.

I'm pretty sure, from "scientific" experiments, that it's the fat in milk that sets me off. I'm that guy trimming all the fatty bits off pork chops. It just makes me want to puke if it's in my mouth for any length of time.

There was a girl in our D&D group who said she was a super taster but I don't really know...

The only thing she would eat was chicken tenders and french fries with no sauce. And she wanted us to teach her how to drink but absolutely anything we gave her she would make a face during EVERY SIP like we gave her medicine.

She tried to invite herself to my parents for Thanksgiving once but the idea of her making that face at my mother's table while eating her food was a giant NOPE.

Yeah typically when someone does that whole "you're a baby mouth" it's a bit more complicated than that. Alcoholic beverages, especially hoppy things like IPAs, are bitter as fuck. Fried and starchy foods are safe foods, they're almost always good for me. But I guess if you have the form that Auralynx has, you might be one of the super tasters that can't do fried foods.

I didn't realize there was so much variation in it myself.

There's nothing worse than medicine for me, it's part of the reason I struggle with pills is I can taste it through the coating immediately when it hits my tongue (or I can taste the coating?).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I got a case of the wistfuls for no reason this morning. Now I'm all wistful and kinda mopey and shit. I'd just like for this day to hurry up and be over so I can have my long weekend to myself.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I got a case of the wistfuls for no reason this morning. Now I'm all wistful and kinda mopey and shit. I'd just like for this day to hurry up and be over so I can have my long weekend to myself.

you should buy a kitten

they are the best

• Options
    dogs are better tho

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    fuck you now we fight

to the death

• Options
    but for reals i get the wistfuls a lot and i just rub a kitty belly and listen to the maows and all is ok

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Sometimes kittens just kinda happen to you.

Like when I found duck in the wheel well of my car.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »
    I suppose at some point during talking with someone on a dating app i should actually flirt with them

I actually prefer to not. I try to show interest in people as people.
    The fact I'm probably going to flirt with them if we meet is implicit due to where we're talking.

I guess some people like it, but I feel super fucking skeezy hitting on people I've never met.

I'm a weirdo though. I only fall hard for some super small intersection in a many circled Venn diagram.

Honestly, unless it's a comment about how cool my hair/makeup/outfit is, I tend to treat it as a minor flag on a dating app when a guy makes a physical compliment, because it makes it feel like the interest is superficial and reminds me too much of the creepers

If you didn't think there was something attractive you wouldn't message

So good conversation catches my eye instead, and flirting comes later if there's actual interest when we meet

oh, I didn't mean hitting on them, i meant that i'm bad at finding the point where i stop talking with someone about burnt pancakes and maybe talk about going to get pancakes with them that are possibly less burnt.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    @bowen Yeah we tried to find a lot of sweet options for her since she had never turned down a dessert I brought to game night.

Basically she ate like a five year old in disguise. Chicken nuggets and desserts.

• Options
    @ bowen Yeah we tried to find a lot of sweet options for her since she had never turned down a dessert I brought to game night.

Basically she ate like a five year old in disguise. Chicken nuggets and desserts.

It sucks. It sucks being called babymouth because you can't stand raw tomatoes, or, someone will argue with you for 20 minutes that you just haven't had their (insert bitter green vegetable here) and insist that you try it to the point where you just don't go over to people's parties anymore unless they're cool with you not eating.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I honestly feel like people treat chocolate kind of like how the internet treats bacon.

I mean, sure it's okay. Not really my thing. But everyone fucking loses their mind about chocolate when it's mentioned and how they have to get some. The taste has always been kind of meh for milk chocolate, and absolutely no go for darker (yay supertasting). And then you get to Hershey's chocolate which is kind of burney and that's just unpleasant.

My exception is PB Cups, but that's because peanut butter is great.

Just for sorta-educational purposes: Fellow supertaster here, absolutely love chocolate, especially the dark stuff. I mostly got hit hard with green vegetables tasting like someone's trying to kill me... and milk tasting just completely vile.

E: The point being, though I'm sure Bowen and any others of my mutant tribe know, we all still get to have individual tastes.

Yeah dark chocolate is much easier to eat than stuff like brussels or cabbage. Raw uncooked cabbage in tiny amounts and spinach actually taste alright. When they're cooked it just makes them taste like absolute shit to me. Raw brussels still taste like fucking death though.

Milk tastes fine to me, love it.

I've heard there's some super tasters that can't do fried food at all... which makes me ?????

There must be some variation in how supertasting expresses itself.

I actually like cabbage, as a rule, regardless of what got done to it. Doesn't set me off. Spinach is 50/50 but much nastier raw.

Fried artichoke leaves, which are an appetizer at a restaurant I've gone to several times, make me make a face which is apparently really memorable, to the point where I get dared to have some once a year and just can't.

I'm pretty sure, from "scientific" experiments, that it's the fat in milk that sets me off. I'm that guy trimming all the fatty bits off pork chops. It just makes me want to puke if it's in my mouth for any length of time.

There was a girl in our D&D group who said she was a super taster but I don't really know...

The only thing she would eat was chicken tenders and french fries with no sauce. And she wanted us to teach her how to drink but absolutely anything we gave her she would make a face during EVERY SIP like we gave her medicine.

She tried to invite herself to my parents for Thanksgiving once but the idea of her making that face at my mother's table while eating her food was a giant NOPE.

Yeah typically when someone does that whole "you're a baby mouth" it's a bit more complicated than that. Alcoholic beverages, especially hoppy things like IPAs, are bitter as fuck. Fried and starchy foods are safe foods, they're almost always good for me. But I guess if you have the form that Auralynx has, you might be one of the super tasters that can't do fried foods.

I didn't realize there was so much variation in it myself.

There's nothing worse than medicine for me, it's part of the reason I struggle with pills is I can taste it through the coating immediately when it hits my tongue (or I can taste the coating?).

fwiw I'm good with most fried and definitely the overwhelming majority of starchy stuff besides those artichoke bastards and sweet potatoes, and the majority of alcohols that aren't mega-hopped! I'm pretty sure I'm getting a weird taste profile out of most starchy things, however. A number of things that set off other super-tasters, like olives and black coffee, I'm 100% behind, too.

There's an individual palate to consider in addition to the whole bonus tastebuds making things register for us that don't for others.

Someone who won't eat anything but chicken tenders is probably dealing with a different issue, possibly on top of being a super-taster, since "eats like a little child," happens to people with perfectly ordinary palates too, from what I've seen.

• Options
    I can do coffee that's like 25% cream. It's actually quite nice like that.

Black coffee is foul evil.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    @ bowen Yeah we tried to find a lot of sweet options for her since she had never turned down a dessert I brought to game night.

It sucks. It sucks being called babymouth because you can't stand raw tomatoes, or, someone will argue with you for 20 minutes that you just haven't had their (insert bitter green vegetable here) and insist that you try it to the point where you just don't go over to people's parties anymore unless they're cool with you not eating.

See if you tell people you're allergic to it, they won't bother you about eating it!

...but they'll ask you first HAVE YOU TRIED ORGANIC

because it's all the "bad chemicals" and the "GMO" and the etc etc etc that you must be allergic to!

Bowen have you tried eating only lettuce that you've said nice things to as it was growing?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I can do coffee that's like 25% cream. It's actually quite nice like that.

Black coffee is foul evil.

I find hazelnut in particular makes it taste better, but I don't take milk or sugar at all. The former's probably understandable though.

• Options

See if you tell people you're allergic to it, they won't bother you about eating it!

because it's all the "bad chemicals" and the "GMO" and the etc etc etc that you must be allergic to!

Bowen have you tried eating only lettuce that you've said nice things to as it was growing?

Oh my god.

Why are you doing this??

• Options
    I love hazelnut and hazelnut candles.

I have this candle that makes my apartment smell like a fucking bakery (it's like something something cupcake I can't remember). It makes me die everytime.

• Options

Weirdly, I don't get this about eggs.

My buddy who's allergic to most berries, on the other hand, gets it constantly. I guess it only applies to vegetables?

• Options
    I am frustrated that none of my local friends ever have time to talk to me apparently.

I'm tired of being here by myself all the time with no reason to use my voice for days at a time.

It isn't like I am just going to go out and be around strangers to try to talk to people. That makes me too uncomfortable.

• Options

My buddy who's allergic to most berries, on the other hand, gets it constantly. I guess it only applies to vegetables?

In ND's case I think it's her raw food allergy.

Don't worry ND, I get back at the normies by eating an entire Kiwi, skin-fuzz and all.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I am frustrated that none of my local friends ever have time to talk to me apparently.

I'm tired of being here by myself all the time with no reason to use my voice for days at a time.

It isn't like I am just going to go out and be around strangers to try to talk to people. That makes me too uncomfortable.

So, which is worse? Staying at home by yourself being miserable for days on end or trying to go out, socialize with people and make friends? Legitimate question. Depending on your answer then you know what you need to work on.

• Options
    They are both bad. But I can't do the second thing because I don't find anything that I can do in public fun or interesting. And it all either costs money that I don't have Or it requires me to be physically active in a way that I can't keep up.

• Options
    Alright, so you need to work on being happy alone. Start drawing, or reading, or scrap booking. Knitting or crochet or whatever. Do yoga at home. Bird watching. Maybe get one of those little bonsai trees in a mini rock garden you can... curate? Try and learn a new language.

As for stuff you can do outside of the home, do you have a park? Parks do free stuff all the time. See if they have any productions of Shakespear. Or go to a library and see if you can join a book club. There are so many things you can do that don't require money or for you to do like, windsprints there's gotta be something you'll enjoy. Because you cannot sit around the house forever and be miserable.

• Options

Don't worry ND, I get back at the normies by eating an entire Kiwi, skin-fuzz and all.

Yeah, it's more surprise that, come to think of it, nobody ever tells me to eat the Spacestar-Ordered Organically Fed Blessed by Saint Ignatius eggs from Happy Chickens with Good Bloodlines but they'll totally tell him to eat some berries grown up by you because they're authentic Native-Bred Plants watered with only harmonically attuned springwater from the sacred peaks of the Adirondacks. Like, often.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I suppose at some point during talking with someone on a dating app i should actually flirt with them

The fact I'm probably going to flirt with them if we meet is implicit due to where we're talking.

I guess some people like it, but I feel super fucking skeezy hitting on people I've never met.

I'm a weirdo though. I only fall hard for some super small intersection in a many circled Venn diagram.

Honestly, unless it's a comment about how cool my hair/makeup/outfit is, I tend to treat it as a minor flag on a dating app when a guy makes a physical compliment, because it makes it feel like the interest is superficial and reminds me too much of the creepers

So good conversation catches my eye instead, and flirting comes later if there's actual interest when we meet

Unless it happens to escalate to making out, I tend to avoid physically complimenting people on the first date.
    It feels super fucking shallow, so unless we're clearly going that way I'm not comfortable doing it.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Juggsy passes his time by feeding me bread. Its like feeding the ducks.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    Juggsy passes his time by feeding me bread. Its like feeding the ducks.

It's true. That's how I lost my left hand!

• Options
    edited July 2017

oh, I didn't mean hitting on them, i meant that i'm bad at finding the point where i stop talking with someone about burnt pancakes and maybe talk about going to get pancakes with them that are possibly less burnt.

I don't really think this is flirting! I feel you can ask someone out without flirting and it's fine. Depends what you're looking for out of it though I guess. (This is not me trying to diss you, I'm hopeless as well, just this is what I do)
    I really need visual cues to be at my best in conversation anyway.

I'm super glad my bloods came back and told me I'm low in vitamin B12 and D.
    Maybe I can fix that and feel a bit less tired and melancholy all the fucking time.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I don't think I can flirt until I know a person a bit. Hell, I can barely talk about more than the weather unless I know certain common traits Party B and I share.

But I still try at both cause what else am I going to do with my time?

• Options
    Really I just smack talk until I find something that triggers a person to gush about what they're passionate about.
    This is of course while not dismissing similar attempts from them.
    I am happy to talk about me and explain the things I do and how they work, or things I love and why.
    It doesn't really do it for me unless they reciprocate though.

• Options

Yeah, it's more surprise that, come to think of it, nobody ever tells me to eat the Spacestar-Ordered Organically Fed Blessed by Saint Ignatius eggs from Happy Chickens with Good Bloodlines but they'll totally tell him to eat some berries grown up by you because they're authentic Native-Bred Plants watered with only harmonically attuned springwater from the sacred peaks of the Adirondacks. Like, often.

I tried to do the "I'm allergic" to shit at first too to get people to stop asking, but then when I ate something that contained one of those things they did the whole "GOTCHA" and I had to get really snippy with this one person who I no longer talk to.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I tried to do the "I'm allergic" to shit at first too to get people to stop asking, but then when I ate something that contained one of those things they did the whole "GOTCHA" and I had to get really snippy with this one person who I no longer talk to.

And if you were really allergic, you'd be gasping at your windpipe while they did the Nelson laugh at you? :rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

what the fuck

• Options
    edited July 2017

Naphtali wrote: »

And if you were really allergic, you'd be gasping at your windpipe while they did the Nelson laugh at you? :rotate:

Like, you laugh, but people who really shouldn't forget constantly. I went to a bluegrass festival last weekend with a buddy from college and his wife and they brought quiche for lunch. We covered the issue at their wedding last year and he ate across for me for a number of meals for two years.

So, since at least he told me that was coming, I made a point of eating before they got there.

The worst was definitely my father making me an omelet one night during Christmas break back when I was in college, though.

There's something about food that just turns off the critical faculties in a person, is what I'm saying.

Auralynx on
  • Options

what the fuck

Well not on purpose to fuck with me.

At least I hope not.

I can't remember the exact thing that I did this with, I think we were doing a bbq/cookout and it was cabbage and I had a garden salad with raw purple cabbage in it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'm not laughing at the "oh, I forgot" which is bad but happens easily, I'm at the "ha, I'll catch them in the act!" idea. That's just stupid and deliberately reckless. You could really hurt somebody.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I'm not laughing at the "oh, I forgot" which is bad but happens easily, I'm at the "ha, I'll catch them in the act!" idea. That's just stupid and deliberately reckless. You could really hurt somebody.

people are kind of jerks about allergies

I'm 100% positive ND's organic foodwhisperer rant is actually something she experienced even if it was hyperbole.

• Options

people are kind of jerks about allergies

I'm 100% positive ND's organic foodwhisperer rant is actually something she experienced even if it was hyperbole.

I mean, there really are people who claim downright stupid things as "allergies," mostly to ensure that they get their way in conversations about food, which doesn't help those of us who actually have one.

In fairness, I'm very unlikely to die of mine unless you like drop me in a vat of scrambled eggs or something; I got off pretty light as far as that goes. The berry dude I know? Not so much. Someone tries to Gotcha him and he's going to the hospital and so are they, if I'm around.

• Options
    It's also easier to say "yes I'm allergic to milk" when I don't want cheese on my burger for lactose intolerance. Still gonna drink all the milkshakes and eat all the ice cream.

Just try and stop me.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017

You can be mildly allergic to shit and have it be enough of a hassle to not want to fuck with it most of the time, but still consume it from time to time!

I'm magically allergic to hops since the beginning of last year, but I still drink IPAs once in a while because I love them! But most of the time the congestion isn't worth it!

Basically, people without allergies don't know shit about allergies, so if you like you can crib these notes if you really wanna keep using "allergies" as a slightly more socially acceptable reason to deal with ignorant people.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    My allergy is called Oral Allergy Syndrome, and it's [thank god] not at all dangerous. Just varying levels of mouth/lip/inner-ear itchiness, and/or lips/gums aching. Only while the food is actually still on those areas, though. If I have something bubbly and abrasive like seltzer and crackers afterwards, it helps remove the foods from my mouth and the reaction goes away pretty quickly. Digesting the thing gives zero symptoms.

They saaaay a reaction with this syndrome can suddenly turn into anaphalactic shock, but.........YOLO. Sometimes I have a huge craving and just need to eat an allergy fruit, ya know??

I have had multiple people suggest the organic thing to me before, and it just pisses me off to no end.

Luckily though nobody has ever tried to trick me into eating anything...probably because they also understand that I can't eat a lot of delicious raw foods and it's not a personal choice at all.

NightDragon on
This discussion has been closed.