As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ARMS] Update 4.0 is live, new character Misango added

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Playing two player is interesting as it makes you take turns when you aren't teamed up and it'll sometimes team one of you up with someone else.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I had a lot of fun playing ARMS this morning. Though I just started to learn to play, it was still very competitive.

Definitely a must purchase for me. I think the mastery of the game and the ranked fights will be exhilarating.

The physical controls are nice and add to the game another element that isn't in other games you find like it. Overall this game is excellent.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm willing to bet the volleyball mode won't get much love on release, though I've found that hitting it with a grab before you punch it works wonders.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Might as well stick these VODs here, from my experience of the first two rounds. In case anyone wants just some raw game-play. I think I swapped to my Pro Controller about half-way through round 1.

Round 1. Round 2.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet the volleyball mode won't get much love on release, though I've found that hitting it with a grab before you punch it works wonders.

That's crazy because volleyball fucking rules in this game

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Might as well stick these VODs here, from my experience of the first two rounds. In case anyone wants just some raw game-play. I think I swapped to my Pro Controller about half-way through round 1.

Round 1. Round 2.

Thanks, appreciate the raw gameplay.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    VENI
    VIDI
    PUNCHI

... or more accurately, I tried the test-punch a bit and I'm not really feeling it. It's a cool game and a cool idea but I feel like I don't have as much control as I'd want. It's a frantic "I need to do this NOW" action-gamey environment but the punches all have travel times and delays and stuff that makes it impossible to do what you want when you want to. I'm sure that's part of the skill ceiling and all, but the controls only got in the way.

To elaborate - mechanically, putting the movement on motion controls when attack and guard is also on motion controls feels supremely questionable. I keep going to guard and accidentally triggering a throw, or trying to move right and accidentally triggering a left punch. It's super engaging and encourages full-body reactions to stuff but that's disastrous for actually having finite control of your character. This is a game that doesn't like you doing more than one thing at a time even though you really want to be, for example, moving, jumping and punching all at once.

Soooooo until I either force myself to keep a "home" position with the thumbs-up mode and stick to a more one-input-at-a-time playstyle orrrrr try the other control schemes I'm calling this a "would play at a friend's house but probably not for me"

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Good fun for an hour, I even won a few, but far too manic for me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Ok I got a whole hour in this time.

That. Was. Amazing. Amazing 2 times. It's amazing how fun just straight up fighting is (and how much actual strategy is involved.. especially 1v1v1), and it's amazing how much I suck at volleyball. Doesn't help that I got a bug where the ball basically became magnetized to my side of the court. If I tried to hit it up it would just slam back down onto my side instead of going over. I actually sat there hitting it for a good 10 seconds like a paddle ball trying to get it over.

Some random thoughts about fighting:

Min Min is going to be a beast.

Tank girl (forgot her name) needs a buff.. she's too slow and is easily destroyed.

It cannot be stressed how important dodge and jump are, if you do it right you shouldn't even have to block but you should anyways which leads me to my next observation

Hitting jab immediately after blocking something does quick counter -punch damage (and it moves you closer to your oponent).

Using the regular boxing glove as a jab to push their punches out of the way followed by either another punch right over it or a curving boomerang shot is a sound strategy

If you can get the enemy to miss with his special its basically an instant win... assuming you dont miss with your special

The lock on system is kind of clunky. I had some issues with targeting the right person.

2v2 is hilarious

People in 1v1v1 who backstab you despite the other guy with more health being the bigger threat are the worst. No one who played this way ever won once. It's always the guy at the bottom of the steps who wins when that happens.

However waiting back until the other two wear each other down then sweeping in to clean up is delicious. I won a match by using 1 throw total and no punches.. lol. There should be an achievement for that.

I think my main is going to be spring man with vanilla boxing gloves. Imo timing and how you structure your punches are more important than cool gimmick weapons.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I'm getting better at volleyball now. Won most of my matches. It may also be because I stopped using motion controls, which lets me position myself much easier. The key to volleyball is to really know your arms. For example, for ninjara I really like the punching gloves because they reset pretty quickly if you whiff which I like.

Ninjara in general is pretty good. Also jumping and dodging > guarding most of the time I feel. Unless they're using their Rush, in which case Guard is really good, and they can't grab you during that time.

Though for the next demo time, I think I'm gonna try to practice the guard->counter thing they mention in the help.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited May 2017
    And now the Round 3 VOD.

Spoilers for all of these, I guess, I play a *lot* of Mechanica.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I wish the lock-on was mapped to the SL/R buttons. Then you could just squeeze the left joycon to switch targets to the left, and so on for the right.
    I'm not convinced it'd help the situational awareness on free-for-all fights, though. I can hold my own against whoever I'm targeting, but whoever I'm not is free to murder me in whatever way they feel like, and it feels like there's not much I can do to stop them.

Might try it with the controller scheme tomorrow, see if that feels any better.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    VENI
    VIDI
    PUNCHI

... or more accurately, I tried the test-punch a bit and I'm not really feeling it. It's a cool game and a cool idea but I feel like I don't have as much control as I'd want. It's a frantic "I need to do this NOW" action-gamey environment but the punches all have travel times and delays and stuff that makes it impossible to do what you want when you want to. I'm sure that's part of the skill ceiling and all, but the controls only got in the way.

To elaborate - mechanically, putting the movement on motion controls when attack and guard is also on motion controls feels supremely questionable. I keep going to guard and accidentally triggering a throw, or trying to move right and accidentally triggering a left punch. It's super engaging and encourages full-body reactions to stuff but that's disastrous for actually having finite control of your character. This is a game that doesn't like you doing more than one thing at a time even though you really want to be, for example, moving, jumping and punching all at once.

Soooooo until I either force myself to keep a "home" position with the thumbs-up mode and stick to a more one-input-at-a-time playstyle orrrrr try the other control schemes I'm calling this a "would play at a friend's house but probably not for me"

You know there is non motion controls too, right?

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    VENI
    VIDI
    PUNCHI

You know there is non motion controls too, right?

Yeah it's incredibly easy to move, jump/dash and punch at the same time using standard controls.

I'd imagine most of the people whoo stood in one spot during my matches were using motion controls. They'd get annihilated when they did that.

Edit: early2v2 strat. Have one player be a tank like mummy and the other a fast damage dealer. Have the damage dealer hide behind/ slightly behind and to the right/left of the tank, then have the damage dealer pop out from behind him for combos and throws... or even better, curve shots around him from behind. This has the added benefit of having mummy's punches also block punches intended for the damage dealer.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I played for 20 minutes at the 2pm EST test. It's pretty excellent.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

People in 1v1v1 who backstab you despite the other guy with more health being the bigger threat are the worst. No one who played this way ever won once. It's always the guy at the bottom of the steps who wins when that happens.

I do this but don't think it's intentional. I'm just trying to hit people and I haven't even looked at enemy health it's so frantic.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      DA37XLiUIAAPI7p.jpg

DA37dOBV0AAsdS0.jpg

#MLGPro #360noscope #humblebrag #hashtag

Seriously though, Min Min with that exact configuration of Arms is just fantastic.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      Playing with the joy-cons I decided to leave the straps off because I don't like how wide it is when gripping. Without the straps I can wrap my fingers all the way around so that my middle finger rests right on the change target (dpad up) button, much more comfy. No problems switching lock on anymore.

edited May 2017
      Oh man I destroyed so many fools, so many interesting stories (forgot to screenshot my perfect round damnit! Spring man +gloves 4 lyfe come at me) but that's all for another time, because something glorious happened.

A man... my arch nemesis Nathan teamed up with another player to gangbang me in 1v1v1 and then taunted me with those stupid emoji's after the fact. Let's just say comeuppance was very sweet however.

Because Nathan got punched IN THE DICK!

AND NOW......

uvR3mjZ.jpg

THE DICKPUNCH HEARD ROUND THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD!!!!*Michael Buffer tone*

RVmlrpJ.jpg

THE WINNER...................... AND STILL *crowd goes wild* DICKPUNCH CHAMPION OF THE WOOOOOOOOORLD,

zZreEiQ.jpg

HANDSOOOOOOMEEE COOOOOSTAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

That's right, it still had to go to a judges decision even though I knocked a man out by punching him in his dick. This Dick Punching stuff is serious business.

Fuck you, Nathan.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
      Did enjoy. My son and I played for over an hour. 30 mins taking turns with motion control joy cons, then playing 2P with grip and pro. Motion was more fun, but buttons was way more accurate and easier to control. Good times all around. Maybe not $80 good times, but still decent. Will wait to see how the final product turns out.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
      Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

edited May 2017
      Master Mummy with Megaton arms = wreck everyone. Just punch one at a time. It'll beat pretty much most other arms. That + Mister Mummy's high stagger means you can literally just punch people to death and the only thing they can really try to do is keep dodging forever. It also has a fast spike speed for volleyball too.

Also had one finisher where the close-ups were basically just the Rushed Megaton fist covering more and more of the entire screen. I literally loled at that.

Also, there is definitely some friendly fire in team games. Not sure if it deals damage, but you can interrupt your own teammate hitting them so positioning matters quite a bit.

Dracil on
    • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
      Had another great hour. Got my dash game going a lot better this time. Next time I really got to experiment with charging punches.

I also figured out that any of the D-Pad or ABXY buttons will change targets. Reaching A with my right thumb is pretty easy to do, so I'm happy with the joy-con controls.

edited May 2017
      Dracil wrote: »
      Master Mummy with Megaton arms = wreck everyone. Just punch one at a time. It'll beat pretty much most other arms. That + Mister Mummy's high stagger means you can literally just punch people to death and the only thing they can really try to do is keep dodging forever. It also has a fast spike speed for volleyball too.

Ugh we really need to get some PA tournaments going. I'm telling you if you use jump and dodge correctly you can absolutely destroy the bigger fighters with faster fighters and they'll hardly be able to hit you. What happens is mummy will launch those two huge fists.. ill jump then dash to the right. At this moment mummy is standing there with both arms fully extended and I'll be standing on his right flank... he's wide open. You can get a good 4 to 5 shots or maybe 3 shots and a throw in before he can drag his arms back, depending on how fast you are... thats a massive chunk of his health.. rinse.. repeat. This works on mechanica too but it really busts mummy up.. especially if you charged up beforehand. After the first enemy died in a 1v1v1 a mummy had a full bar and I had 1 sliver of health. I ended up wiping the floor with him using this method (and some well placed bombs and well timed specials, but I digress). Juking is also important, make them think you're going one way and then dash in the opposite direction.

Edit: I'm not sure if I was specific enough.. you need to be jumping and dashing constantly and I mean constantly. They only time you shouldnt be jumping or dodging is when you're throwing combination punches or blocking to set up a counter punch followed by a combo.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular

Ugh we really need to get some PA tournaments going. I'm telling you if you use jump and dodge correctly you can absolutely destroy the bigger fighters with faster fighters without them hardly hitting you. What happens is mummy will launch those two huge fists.. ill jump then dash to the right. At this moment mummy is standing there with both arms fully extended and I'll be standing on his right flank... he's wide open. You can get a good 4 or 5 shots or maybe 3 shots and a throw in before he can drag his arms back.. thats a massive chunk of his health.. rinse.. repeat. This works on mechanica too but it really busts mummy up.. especially if you charged up beforehand. After the first enemy died in a 1v1v1 a mummy had a full bar and I had 1 sliver of health. I ended up wiping the floor with him using this method (and some well placed bombs and well timed specials, but I digress). Juking is also important, make them think you're going one way and then dash in the opposite direction.

I get the feeling there's a lot of options. The big punches can be blocked, presumably Minmin can kick them dead, Ninjara can dash out of a block, Ribbon girl can jump twice over the top, etc.

Maybe when people have spent more time with it some really OP strategies will emerge, but from what I've seen most people still getting a grip on all the mechanics.

edited May 2017
      Kriegaffe wrote: »

Ugh we really need to get some PA tournaments going. I'm telling you if you use jump and dodge correctly you can absolutely destroy the bigger fighters with faster fighters without them hardly hitting you. What happens is mummy will launch those two huge fists.. ill jump then dash to the right. At this moment mummy is standing there with both arms fully extended and I'll be standing on his right flank... he's wide open. You can get a good 4 or 5 shots or maybe 3 shots and a throw in before he can drag his arms back.. thats a massive chunk of his health.. rinse.. repeat. This works on mechanica too but it really busts mummy up.. especially if you charged up beforehand. After the first enemy died in a 1v1v1 a mummy had a full bar and I had 1 sliver of health. I ended up wiping the floor with him using this method (and some well placed bombs and well timed specials, but I digress). Juking is also important, make them think you're going one way and then dash in the opposite direction.

I get the feeling there's a lot of options. The big punches can be blocked, presumably Minmin can kick them dead, Ninjara can dash out of a block, Ribbon girl can jump twice over the top, etc. Maybe when people have spent more time with it some really OP strategies will emerge, but from what I've seen most people still getting a grip on all the mechanics.

Right.. that's what I mean by we need to get a tournament going.. so we can flesh out what the real strategies are.

Edit: also I want to know if I'm actually good at this game or if I'm just good for right now because no one knows what they're doing.

Edit2: also I'm not sure if this was lag or an actual move but an asian player went from being on the ground to instantly grappling me with spring man.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Craptanks, totally read the schedule wrong and thought Round 4 was 8 PM PST, so thought I had time to get in after work tonight. D'oh. Guess I'm getting up early again tomorrow for Round 5.

persona4celestia.jpg
    • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
      Someone mentioned that Mechanica wasn't really maneuverable enough to compete, however in my short experience so far yes her basic Dash sucks, but her Air Dash is amazing.

Also I'm kind of hating Party Mode if only because the basic mode of the game is 1v1 and I want to really get comfortable with how the game plays.

My wife played the first day of the Test Punch (the back half of the hour) and could only get get busy lobbies with a constant stream of 2v2 and FFA matches and was not really having fun because she never really got a chance to get used to the game.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

edited May 2017
      Mblackwell wrote: »
      Someone mentioned that Mechanica wasn't really maneuverable enough to compete, however in my short experience so far yes her basic Dash sucks, but her Air Dash is amazing.

Also I'm kind of hating Party Mode if only because the basic mode of the game is 1v1 and I want to really get comfortable with how the game plays.

My wife played the first day of the Test Punch (the back half of the hour) and could only get get busy lobbies with a constant stream of 2v2 and FFA matches and was not really having fun because she never really got a chance to get used to the game.

That was me. Her air dash is amazing, I don't think people are using it effectively yet though. I fought mechanica like 6 or 7 times (edit: as Spring Man)and only lost once, and that was a fight I really should have won. I think as people have time to figure her out the problem will correct itself.

Quick movement is the name of the game here, if you stand still and try to turtle you will get annihilated.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      edited May 2017

Ugh we really need to get some PA tournaments going. I'm telling you if you use jump and dodge correctly you can absolutely destroy the bigger fighters with faster fighters and they'll hardly be able to hit you. What happens is mummy will launch those two huge fists.. ill jump then dash to the right. At this moment mummy is standing there with both arms fully extended and I'll be standing on his right flank... he's wide open. You can get a good 4 to 5 shots or maybe 3 shots and a throw in before he can drag his arms back, depending on how fast you are... thats a massive chunk of his health.. rinse.. repeat. This works on mechanica too but it really busts mummy up.. especially if you charged up beforehand. After the first enemy died in a 1v1v1 a mummy had a full bar and I had 1 sliver of health. I ended up wiping the floor with him using this method (and some well placed bombs and well timed specials, but I digress). Juking is also important, make them think you're going one way and then dash in the opposite direction.

Edit: I'm not sure if I was specific enough.. you need to be jumping and dashing constantly and I mean constantly. They only time you shouldnt be jumping or dodging is when you're throwing combination punches or blocking to set up a counter punch followed by a combo.

Well, if you're using Master Mummy right, you really *shouldn't* have both arms extended at once unless you're grabbing or both parties are just spamming at each other. You should be throwing them out one at a time, at the same rhythm, so there's a very minimal gap in the attacks. A single arm should beat both arms against a lighter fighter, and if it goes on long enough I think the lighter fighter's arms will start getting damaged.

That said, this is just a demo and there are a ton of arms and characters that aren't in the game yet. So it's gonna end up being some super complicated form of rock-paper-scissor loadout. For example, I haven't tested it, but it's quite possible the Guardian arm could just completely nullify the Megaton arms leaving one arm to attack from the side, which would nullfiy this strategy in a straight-up pummeling fight.

Dracil on
      edited May 2017

Well, if you're using Master Mummy right, you really *shouldn't* have both arms extended at once unless you're grabbing or both parties are just spamming at each other. You should be throwing them out one at a time, at the same rhythm, so there's a very minimal gap in the attacks. A single arm should beat both arms against a lighter fighter, and if it goes on long enough I think the lighter fighter's arms will start getting damaged.

What I'm saying is if the lighter fighter does what I said and continues to dash and jump he should never even get into the position where hes fending off straight punches. I never had to fend off punches like that because they were all missing me by a good 3 feet or so, meanwhile you flank him and hit him where he's unguarded. MM is too slow for a spring man who is constantly dashing and jumping. Basically all he can do at that point is hope he gets lucky with a throw, special, or multiple lucky punches.

Edit: this is all predicated on it being a 1v1 fight of course.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      edited May 2017
      Yeah but at some point you're still gonna need to try to attack and that's when you eat a fist in the face. Also I don't believe dodges are the be-all end-all. I think there's some recovery frames where you're vulnerable if the punches are timed right.

I also did a lot of the jump/dodge stuff with Ninjara before I tried out Master Mummy.

Dracil on
    • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      How do you charge minmin's dragon?

edited May 2017
      Just experienced a particularly nasty bit of lag. Got punched BEFORE the match begin.

Like, I got punched, and then the signal to start happened on my end.

Edit:

I think it's mostly this one dude playing Master Mummg. Every time I fight him, connection is weird and ghost hits happen

Enlong on
    • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      The one lag I experienced was getting stuck in someone's throw, he grabbed me and just freezes and moved a bit in midair dropping down and doing nothing.

Also you can throw punches with ZL and ZR on the pro controller!

Minmin's a lot of fun. I enjoy using her kick to buy an opportunity for a punch or throw.

edited May 2017
      Yeah but at some point you're still gonna need to try to attack and that's when you eat a fist in the face. Also I don't believe dodges are the be-all end-all. I think there's some recovery frames where you're vulnerable if the punches are timed right.

I also did a lot of the jump/dodge stuff with Ninjara before I tried out Master Mummy.

This doesnt happen though.. you can attack while you're jumping and dodging, or at least at the apex of each jumpdodge if you time it right.. It's not like you have to stop moving to get a punch/throw in. Literally the only thing he can do is get lucky and guess perfectly the direction you're dashing/moving/jumping in. Someone like Ninjaru can counter it pretty effectively.. MM currently cannot...

Edit: 1v1 me when the game comes out and we'll see.. because as of right now with no way to show replays we're just talking past each other.

Edit2: it doesnt work as well with Ninjara as it does with Spring Man.

Edit3: Spring Man is fast enough to where if you jump dodge and he manages to throw a punch/throw when you reach apex, you'll still have enough time to dodge out of the way again before the punch reaches.. then you can lay into him.. if you miss you can rinse and repeat until you don't miss.

If you fight someone else employing this strat it gets really interesting, it basically becomes a dragon ball z episode.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
      How then hell do you change control schemes? I was using motion controls, but when I just try to play it with regular controls using the buttons and stick, nothing works. Do I have to put them in the grip first or something?

Steam | Twitch
      Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      I think the test punch may have un-sold me on this game. I am really bad at it and it's no fun just getting my ass kicked over and over :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
      Warlock82 wrote: »
      I think the test punch may have un-sold me on this game. I am really bad at it and it's no fun just getting my ass kicked over and over :(

I was doing great back when everyone didn't know what they were doing. I need some solid practice with different characters and glove combinations before I get good.

The only thing I'm great at now is volleyball, everyone just walks all over me in duels and team matches. This game sucks when you suck.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      I might try it without the motion controls during another test punch. They were just not working well for me at all. Maybe it would be more fun with normal controls.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282