As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM]: computer games and cooked veggies since 2003 and the paleolithic, respectively

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I finally started playing Dragon Commander and I want to like it so badly but I have a feeling from some brief gameplay that the basic RTS loop isn't very good.

the rts is not good at all

the game has a lot of absurd charm, but it needed to be made by a more competent studio

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Am I at a huge disadvantage if I autocomplete everything or is the game set up for that? This kind of reminds me of the Dragon Knight game they did before where I loved the concept with every fibre of my fucking being but had to accept that it was a trash game .

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Yeah. I basically played it like Risk.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Am I at a huge disadvantage if I autocomplete everything or is the game set up for that? This kind of reminds me of the Dragon Knight game they did before where I loved the concept with every fibre of my fucking being but had to accept that it was a trash game .

yes, it's like total war games in the it will grossly over-estimate the enemy strength

• Options
    I might skip it then. Sorry game. You were a great idea.

• Options
    I might skip it then. Sorry game. You were a great idea.

honestly, just watch an lp on youtube

the non-rts portions are really neat, but the gamey part plays like shit

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I never upgrade past a royal sloop in Pirates! I liked the mobility of the sloop line too much to give it up.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I never bother with anything between a royal sloop and a ship of the line. If you attack your targets from windward, you don't really need to dodge with a ship of the line, because you pick up speed so quickly that the first volley generally overshoots and the second one occurs right around the time you're crashing into your target. Plus, since you have 48 guns, many opponents will try to close with you as quickly as possible.

After spending the whole game zigzagging through cannon volleys to attack a larger opponent with a smaller crew, it can be fun to abandon all that in favor of a straightforward "Surprise! There are 300 pirates here to see you!"

I've read people who swear that the brig of war is the best ship in the game, but I've never liked them. Seems like the worst of both worlds.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I think my brain likes to block out the Thieves Maze at the end of Baldurs Gate. I never seem to remember how terribly awful it is until I see it again.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    it's one of those things that looks imposing but it's actually pretty simple, aside from that battle with the skeleton warriors. follow the path as far north as you can go, walk south a little, head east through the doorway and follow the outside loop to the exit. 10 minutes

Jars on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    na na nana na naa, nana na, skeleton warriors

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    na na nana na naa, nana na, skeleton warriors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR5zKsJxIHM

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I checked out the Fallout 4 free weekend. It started off okay-ish, but I felt a little "been there, done that". Real pretty though.
    AND THEN
    I met Piper, who is the best lady, and the story went all Blade Runner and robot men. Sooooo. Yeah. Caved. Bought it.

What really bothers me is the settlement stuff though, even with mods, it's soooo finicky and janky. I do want some neat settlements though, so I'll keep at it
    e: I can't shake the feeling that if this had been developed for pc primarily, there'd be a neat top-down view to place walls etc. Maybe it's just engine limitations though

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    There's a beta update for Vanquish that's supposed to fix damage depending on your framerate
    UPDATE 2 (29 MAY)

It’s a holiday here in the UK, but we wanted to get a patch out to you as quickly as possible, so we have made publicly available our beta patch. Please note that this patch has not been QA checked, so install at your own risk!

To install, go to Vanquish in your Steam library, right click and select “Properties,” then go to the “Betas” tab. In the field to enter the beta access code, type the password

PatchBetaTest

(caps-sensitive); “public_patch” will now appear in the drop down menu. Select it and close the Properties menu.

This patch addresses the following:
    • Fixed an issue with invincibility frame timing (which sometimes allowed the player to get hit more frequently at higher frame rates).
    • Fixed an issue with health regeneration at higher frame rates.
    • Fixed an issue when resetting to default on the options menu.
    • Fixed an issue with video cutscenes skipping early for some players.
    • Fixed an animation issue when sliding backwards and aiming using keyboard and mouse.
    • Adjusted cutscene audio volume.

The patch also adds two more command line functions:
    • -monitor 2 (or any number in a multi-monitor setup)

This will allow users to select which monitor to treat as the primary device, which will allow full screen exclusive to work on that display.

• -window

This will force the game to boot into windowed mode (which should help some players if the game is defaulting to an unsupported resolution).

Please feel free to give the beta patch a go and report your findings in this thread. Thank you.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    can you still mod the new BG games? specifically dungeon be gone

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    can you still mod the new BG games? specifically dungeon be gone

yeah you can, although you'll have to check each mod to see what works

in most cases you'll be something like WeiDU, so you'll need to be comfortable with the command line

if you're playing on android or iOS it gets a lot more complicated, but is still possible: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43990/how-to-install-mods-on-android

for dungeon be gone, this link should be EE compatible :

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=98&Itemid=79

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Cities skylines is 12$ atm on bundlestars

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Man PUBG is tough.

sucks when you rarely make it through the early game because the game lags so much until the player count thins out a bit and people rubber band around you and punch you to death.

Or I manage to land by myself somewhere and run out of bullets trying to kill a second guy haha, I had a Kar98 I couldn't get any kills with too since I couldn't find a scope.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    PUBG is PUBGood.

I've gotten 2 duo wins now though both of them were basically carried by my buddy. My last one I basically played decoy and crawled around injured a bunch while he picked off the people that shot me.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Some russian graduates are making a short film of Papers, Please:

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Far Cry 4 is a game where everyone is so shitty that taking over for the violent dictator and crushing the rebels might actually be the best course of action.

Cause at least the protagonist might be a decent leader.

Obviously the maniacal dictator had to die, but out of the two choices to replace them, I picked the one that WASN'T planning to become Pablo Escobar v2.0. Then I had to murder the shit out of the one I picked because of what they were doing!

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Far Cry 4 is a game where everyone is so shitty that taking over for the violent dictator and crushing the rebels might actually be the best course of action.

Cause at least the protagonist might be a decent leader.

Obviously the maniacal dictator had to die, but out of the two choices to replace them, I picked the one that WASN'T planning to become Pablo Escobar v2.0. Then I had to murder the shit out of the one I picked because of what they were doing!

That's pretty much exactly how the other option goes too.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Were they trying to make some kind of point, or just trying to reduce the amount of redundant scripting between story branches?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Papers, Please is a brutally depressing game.

Amazing, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Were they trying to make some kind of point, or just trying to reduce the amount of redundant scripting between story branches?

They were. Spoilers for FarCry 4 I guess.
    During the game you have to pick between supporting a guy and a lady, hell if I can remember their names. They both want to depose the dictator, but the guy thinks that the old state religion needs reinstituted, while the lady thinks that would be bad and thinks they should take over and expand the dictators drug trade. They both got their pros and cons. There is also a little girl who is considered some kind of reborn goddess in the religion and is technically supposed to be in charge of the country.

Near the end of the game, whoever you supported more will give you a mission to go kill the other, which is the first big warning sign that these people are bad news.

At the end, if you supported the dude, he's reinstated the religion and is beheading anyone who he deems "impure" or that don't follow him. He also basically takes all rights away from women.
    If you supported the lady, she abducts all the children in the country and forces them to work on drug plantations and threatens to kill anyone who tries to stop her.
    Both of them have exiled and hidden the girl who most of the country thinks should be leading them because of the whole divine right thing so she can't start a rebellion to oppose them.

At the end of either of those cutscenes the new leader is standing there and you can shoot and kill them, but it doesn't really do anything. If you don't, they will despawn after a bit and you'll never meet them again.

It kinda comes outta left field and feels like they're playing a trick on the player.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    ARK is on sale for 9.59$ if you want to be eaten by dinosaurs

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Turambar wrote: »

Can you play it single player?

edit: ick reviews are awful the devs sound like complete jerks. I think I'll skip it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Ubisoft would probably actually be one of the better homes for IO and Hitman

Deep Silver or Take Two would probably be fine too, just preferably not Activision or, god forbid, EA

The EA Hate Brigade is pretty overzealous but they do mismanage stuff fairly often (see: Titanfall 2, a game that deserved so much more)

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Ubisoft would probably actually be one of the better homes for IO and Hitman

Deep Silver or Take Two would probably be fine too, just preferably not Activision or, god forbid, EA

The EA Hate Brigade is pretty overzealous but they do mismanage stuff fairly often (see: Titanfall 2, a game that deserved so much more)

And Criterion

• Options
    I wouldn't trust Deep Silver with my least favourite bag of dog shit.

• Options
    2000s[edit]

Singles series (2003–2005)
    X series (2003–present)
    Earth 2160 (2005)
    Anno 1701 (2006)
    Gothic 3 (2006)
    The Guild 2 (2006)
    Secret Files series (2006–present)
    Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (2008)
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky (2008)
    Risen series (2009–2014)

2010s[edit]

Emergency (2010–2012)
    Metro series (2010–present)
    Dead Island series (2011–present)
    Killer is Dead (2013)
    Ride to Hell: Retribution (2013)
    Saints Row series (2013–present)
    Sacred 3 (2014)
    Homefront: The Revolution (2016)
    Mighty No. 9 (2016)
    Shin Megami Tensei series (2016-present)
    Dreamfall Chapters (2017)
    Persona 5 (2017)

Hmm, yeah that list is a bit uneven.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Sell IO to Take 2.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I like really like a few of the Deep Silver games but yeah I think they succeed in spite of themselves

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    As a publisher they seem to have more of a explicit parasitic relationship than most devs.
    Like a bad quick to cash loan business, that will manage a unpromoted Facebook page for devs.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »

edit: ick reviews are awful the devs sound like complete jerks. I think I'll skip it.

If you mean steam reviews, the ones for that game are especially useless, more than for any other game i've seen really. They're all skewed by the devs daring to release an expansion to the game while the game was still in early access, which suddenly caused most of the community to decide the game was awful trash that needed to be downvoted into oblivion. Nevermind most of these people have 400+ hours in it and probably enjoyed every second of it. I haven't played since last September though, so maybe things have changed during that time.

That said, no you absolutely should not play it single player. Playing on a PvE server with people you know is the best option. I played on the G+T server and even though I was on my own most of the time just the fact that I was there with other people I could talk with or meet up with ingame made all the difference. I wouldn't have put 640 hours into it otherwise.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Nabbing Hitman as an exclusive might not be a terrible idea for Microsoft.

Lord knows they need some more internal development teams.

• Options
    Steam reviews are useless because they're often bombed by obsessive fans of the game who the devs have pissed off this week. That said, releasing an expansion for an early access game seems pretty weird.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

If you mean steam reviews, the ones for that game are especially useless, more than for any other game i've seen really. They're all skewed by the devs daring to release an expansion to the game while the game was still in early access, which suddenly caused most of the community to decide the game was awful trash that needed to be downvoted into oblivion. Nevermind most of these people have 400+ hours in it and probably enjoyed every second of it. I haven't played since last September though, so maybe things have changed during that time.

That said, no you absolutely should not play it single player. Playing on a PvE server with people you know is the best option. I played on the G+T server and even though I was on my own most of the time just the fact that I was there with other people I could talk with or meet up with ingame made all the difference. I wouldn't have put 640 hours into it otherwise.

Actually it seems most of them are complaining not that they added an expansion, but that they keep adding content and never fixing stuff already in the game. I had enough of that shit in The Secret World. If it was one or two complaints, sure, but I read 10 easily, all saying the same thing and quit reading even tho there were a LOT more.

This discussion has been closed.