As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM]: computer games and cooked veggies since 2003 and the paleolithic, respectively

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    I've never played Shadow of Mordor before, and this $4 sale is making it really tempting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXu9H_31J_4

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    captaink wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    "all joking a salad" is now a phrase.
    It has been one for years!

Yeah, can't take credit for that one.

I thought it was an autocorrect!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    "all joking a salad" is now a phrase.
    It has been one for years!

Yeah, can't take credit for that one.

I thought it was an autocorrect!
    I think it just came from Scott Aukerman having a brain fart and saying "all joking asalad" on an episode of a podcast and being mercilessly mocked for it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yesterday, I had iceberg lettuce for the first time in years. After a couple of months of allergy shots, there was no tightness in my chest or throat. For the first time, I feel like I'm progressing toward the boss fight that is my beloved avocado.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Yesterday, I had iceberg lettuce for the first time in years. After a couple of months of allergy shots, there was no tightness in my chest or throat. For the first time, I feel like I'm progressing toward the boss fight that is my beloved avocado.

Forgive my impertinence, but what exactly are you allergic to that makes you have a reaction to iceberg lettuce?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I thought Hyper Light Drifter was coming for Switch but I guess I was wrong about that

It is deffo not a game I would be good at so I'll just appreciate it from afar

Hell of a soundtrack, though

it wouldn't surprise me if it got a port eventually, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon, since I don't think they've even delivered on all their kickstarter stretch goals yet

Shorty on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Oddly, the two big hits I've been horribly wrong on (Arkham Asylum and Mordor) have rather similar playstyles. Well there's also DOOM 2016, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people weren't expecting that to be so awesome.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Oral allergy syndrome. I'm allergic to essentially every pollen on the planet, and as a side-effect I exhibit intolerance to pretty much all leafy greens, tree nuts, stone fruits, raw carrots and potatoes, most melons, and avocado. It's distinct from an actual food allergy, I'll never need an epipen because I got into some raw spinach, but if I eat too much of any of those foods my mouth itches and goes numb, my airways narrow, and if I get too high of a dose I'll vomit every fifteen minutes for 12-18 hours and I'll be catastrophically constipated for up to a week. As a bonus, if I eat raw carrots or potatoes, my eyes turn red and try to swell shut like I got maced. My immune system treats surface proteins in these foods as though I just ate several ounces of ragweed pollen.

It's a real treat. Thankfully, allergy shots are supposed to help, assuming I only expose myself to trigger foods every once in a while.

A weird loophole is that if any of these foods are cooked, I can eat them just fine because heating them to a certain temperature denatures the proteins and renders them harmless to me. Unfortunately, there are few recipes that call for roasted avocado.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That really sucks that it limits your ability to enjoy foods without worrying about side-effects, but I'm glad to hear it's not an allergy where you're constantly worrying if you might die because somebody fucked up your order.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Yeah that must suck, you have my sympathy.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    That really sucks that it limits your ability to enjoy foods without worrying about side-effects, but I'm glad to hear it's not an allergy where you're constantly worrying if you might die because somebody fucked up your order.

Nah. The worst that can happen is I get a couple of days off work and my abs get a real workout. I'm still pretty experimental with my food, I just spend more time barfing than is usual.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Every single time I see "stone fruit" I think "what the fuck is stone fruit" for at least a moment, no matter how many times it happens I will do this

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Yeah I just looked up stone fruit myself.

Apricots are a stone fruit?

I haven't had apricots in a long time... I could get down on some apricot.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Nah. The worst that can happen is I get a couple of days off work and my abs get a real workout. I'm still pretty experimental with my food, I just spend more time barfing than is usual.

It's just like being a figure athlete!

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Yeah I just looked up stone fruit myself.

Apricots are a stone fruit?

I haven't had apricots in a long time... I could get down on some apricot.

Apricot, peach, and plum. I'm just thankful that I can eat peach cobbler because it's cooked, but I miss fresh plums in general.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    For future Total Warhammer games, is there a way to turn off the tutorial stuff? I know each race has their own thing, but I'm thinking of, like, if I want to play the dwarves again, I probably don't need old man yammering at me about the grudge book.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    The only DLC for it I got was so I could play as Isabella. Of course why she's all made-up and gorgeous while her husband is a gross-ass no-nosed manky-haired troll leads into some other stupid design decisions, but I was at least glad she was there. Riding her demon pegasus and raising high level undead from a battlefield right on top of my super upgraded castle.

Once they get going they really get going.

I only stopped playing because I singlehandedly held off the full chaos invasion at the cost of most of my armies... and then a full copy of all the chaos armies spawned and attacked again.

There are three to five Chaos armies (Archaon, Kolek, Bird Guy, Sigvald and normally one generic), they don't respawn. They can refill their armies by camping if they're not destroyed though. You might be thinking of Norsca, who send huge waves of trash. You can make peace with them though, and their armies (once you get over their intimidating size) are complete garbage.

Yeah I killed all of the named ones including Archaon, destroyed their armies. Chasing them down and finishing them off just to make sure. I was resting up and rebuilding when a couple turns later every single one of them showed up again at full strength.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    huh apparently there is a bit of a warhammer multiplayer scene

• Options
    The only DLC for it I got was so I could play as Isabella. Of course why she's all made-up and gorgeous while her husband is a gross-ass no-nosed manky-haired troll leads into some other stupid design decisions, but I was at least glad she was there. Riding her demon pegasus and raising high level undead from a battlefield right on top of my super upgraded castle.

Once they get going they really get going.

I only stopped playing because I singlehandedly held off the full chaos invasion at the cost of most of my armies... and then a full copy of all the chaos armies spawned and attacked again.

There are three to five Chaos armies (Archaon, Kolek, Bird Guy, Sigvald and normally one generic), they don't respawn. They can refill their armies by camping if they're not destroyed though. You might be thinking of Norsca, who send huge waves of trash. You can make peace with them though, and their armies (once you get over their intimidating size) are complete garbage.

Yeah I killed all of the named ones including Archaon, destroyed their armies. Chasing them down and finishing them off just to make sure. I was resting up and rebuilding when a couple turns later every single one of them showed up again at full strength.

That's weird. That isn't supposed to happen.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Well I allowed myself one game for this sale, and I went with Redout. I have always loved the Wipeout series and the first time I saw Redout I was all about it.

I just installed it and did a quick time trial. My hands are shaking and I am kicking myself for not getting the bundle with the soundtrack because the music in this game is my kind of jam.

EDIT: I had to turn the graphics down to medium because at first even the menus were chugging (on a Surface), but after that it is pretty smooth.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Refunded Shovel Knight. It was fun at first, but its art on my monitor full screen kind of hurt my eyes some. I could deal with that though, wasn't a big deal. What was a big deal was how quickly the difficulty escalated. Last straw was a part in the third stage where you need to juggle invulnerability to jump on spike platforms while riding a rocket sled. On the third stage.

Made me assume everything after that would be similarly ridiculous and i'm not interested in that sort of thing.

I can handle it in Hollow Knight where there's a steady progression of abilities and you can always go somewhere else and try there if an area is too hard at the moment. Not in the old platformer style it seems though, and that's what Shovel Knight is for good and ill.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Well I allowed myself one game for this sale, and I went with Redout. I have always loved the Wipeout series and the first time I saw Redout I was all about it.

I just installed it and did a quick time trial. My hands are shaking and I am kicking myself for not getting the bundle with the soundtrack because the music in this game is my kind of jam.

EDIT: I had to turn the graphics down to medium because at first even the menus were chugging (on a Surface), but after that it is pretty smooth.

Hey there is a demo! Most excellent. Giving it a shot right now.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    How many hours is Stardew Valley?

It seems interesting but I don't have time for any like, 200 hour games.

• Options
    It doesn't really end

How long does it take you to reach a place of perfect happiness

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    How many hours is Stardew Valley?

It seems interesting but I don't have time for any like, 200 hour games.

That's the wrong question for a game like that.

It's however long you want to spend with it. Could be 50 hours could be the rest of your life. Going in with the goal of mainlining the story misses the point of a game like that.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh, open ended games tend to not do much for me, good to know, thanks.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    The only thing SDV does to make you hit everything besides whether you're interested in them is (year three spoiler)
    the crushing pain of knowing you disappointed your dead grandfather

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Tonkka wrote: »

Hey there is a demo! Most excellent. Giving it a shot right now.

Oh boy I am going to log some hours in this game.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Okay, looking at the options for new campaigns, it looks like you can turn down advisor chatter. So that's good!

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oh, open ended games tend to not do much for me, good to know, thanks.

There are multiple satisfying milestones to reach over the course of a Stardew Valley run, but there's no big game over screen. There's a point where you're married and your farm is producing well and you've reached the bottom of the local mine and your ancestors are proud of you, and at that point it's very natural to stop and say "That'll do, pig. That'll do."

I mean, at that point you'll probably want to start over again with one of the weird specialty farms, but there's still a pretty real sense of accomplishment.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Grabbed Axiom Verge, always wanted to check that out. I think that's it for me, the necromancer DLC for Diablo 3 drops next week, and that's another ~14 bucks or so

That Metro Redux bundle is tempting though
    as is Just Cause 3
    as is half my wishlist

...fuckin' Steam, man

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I've found starting over in Stardew to be very daunting because you have to start with bupkus after you've known the joys of gold plated watering cans and iridium axes and a god damn horse

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I've had to force myself to not play it for a long time cause I got really used to mod conveniences, and I know I'm gonna get the Switch version where I won't have any of those

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Refunded Shovel Knight. It was fun at first, but its art on my monitor full screen kind of hurt my eyes some. I could deal with that though, wasn't a big deal. What was a big deal was how quickly the difficulty escalated. Last straw was a part in the third stage where you need to juggle invulnerability to jump on spike platforms while riding a rocket sled. On the third stage.

Made me assume everything after that would be similarly ridiculous and i'm not interested in that sort of thing.
    Nah, most of it's more reasonable, but there's some levels like that where all of a sudden stuff just gets kinda bullshit.

• Options
    I found Shovel Knight pleasingly challenging throughout except for one of the tutorial dungeons for like the fuckin dash move or some horseshit, that tutorial level made me walk away angry twice

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Quick Hyperlight Drifter question:

I keep finding these hidden obelisks - are there rewards along the way with these things, or do I need to find all of em before anything happens?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I died a good few times in Propeller Knight's stage, but other than that I thought everything flowed really well

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Godmode gifted me roundabout, which has been sitting on my wishlist forever, so I'm excited to spin a limousine around town in what always looked like a ridiculously amount of retro fun.

• Options

I keep finding these hidden obelisks - are there rewards along the way with these things, or do I need to find all of em before anything happens?

Have to find all of them.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Have to find all of them.

Dang

Is there any way to track how many I've found and/or how many there are?

This discussion has been closed.