As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Man.

Imagine if Boston had a top pairing of Hamilton/Krug

(Krug also dominates most of these stats in this 3 year period)
    I love me some Krug, but he's not a top D pair. He's great as a second pair and definitely the first pair for power plays to provide the offensive umph that's needed.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    The Canucks are scooping up the bargain bin. Sam Ganger, Michael Del Zotto, Patrick Wiercoch, Alexander Burmistrov and Anders Nillson.

I like the signings, maybe they are going to let their young kids spend the year in junior or the AHL instead of rushing them.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Oh man Wiercoch.

Good luck with him, he started decent enough and then just feel off an atrocious cliff.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    The Canucks are scooping up the bargain bin. Sam Ganger, Michael Del Zotto, Patrick Wiercoch, Alexander Burmistrov and Anders Nillson.

I like the signings, maybe they are going to let their young kids spend the year in junior or the AHL instead of rushing them.

Hope so!

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Oh man Wiercoch.

Good luck with him, he started decent enough and then just feel off an atrocious cliff.
    To be fair, that was a lot of the team. Joe "Season Opener Hat Trick" Colborne springs to mind.

• Options
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Oh man Wiercoch.

To be fair, that was a lot of the team. Joe "Season Opener Hat Trick" Colborne springs to mind.

He'll be a 7 or 8th defenseman unless they trade someone, so it's low risk. Top six is tanev-edler, hutton-gudbranson and del zotto-stetcher. Wiercoch will probably be an injury fill in guy like Biega or Pedan for us.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Man. Leafs land Marleau for 3 years at an average of $6.25 million. The guy turns 38 this September. That contract could get rough for them. He'll still have a year left when Matthews (at the very least) will be due.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Man. Leafs land Marleau for 3 years at an average of $6.25 million. The guy turns 38 this September. That contract could get rough for them. He'll still have a year left when Matthews (at the very least) will be due.

I fully expect that by year 3 he'll have developed a back issue, or allergy to his hockey gear or something and enjoy a comfortable getaway to Joffrey Lupul Island.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I fully expect that by year 3 he'll have developed a back issue, or allergy to his hockey gear or something and enjoy a comfortable getaway to Joffrey Lupul Island.

Or something like this

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Wow... Carey Price just signed an extension for 8 years @ 10.5 M AAV

He had the Habs by the balls, being by far their best player. Can't blame him for milking his value for all it's worth.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Jean wrote: »
    Wow... Carey Price just signed an extension for 8 years @ 10.5 M AAV

He had the Habs by the balls, being by far their best player. Can't blame him for milking his value for all it's worth.
    Price is amazing, but yeah.... wow indeed

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

Are they just banking on him having enough in the tank while Matthews is still cheap?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    As good as Matthews and the rest of the kids were this year, my pessimistic Leafs fan heart just cannot picture them going deep in the playoffs within the next 2-3 years.

But that would be fun to experience as a fan :)

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I am feeling really bad for Montreal right now, or as bad as I can as a Leafs fan

They were really counting on Drouin to add some scoring alongside Radulov, not to replace him. Their scoring was already low, and now it's going to be even worse. They still don't have a #1 centre, because Galchenyuk sure didn't turn out to be one, and now they're trying to ship him off somewhere to get what in return?

On defense, things are looking grim as well. $4.6mill/year for 5 years to Karl Alzner? He's solid, but he's slow and he's not going to get faster. Caps fan blog Russian Machine Never Breaks took a look at his stats back in February and found that he actually made his teammates worse when he was on the ice.. Even if he gets some of his defensive mojo back, he's not a breakout guy, and neither is Weber.

but hey, at least Carey Price will be around to give them some 1-0 wins.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Hmmm. Yakupov at $875K for a year? Sure, why not.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I was gonna say

I've been drinking all day

And was like did we seriously just sign Yak??

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I still believe in the Yak Attack.

I want him to turn his career around, so I'm hoping Colorado is that place. Just not against the Oilers, please.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I just went back to look at the 2012 draft. A bunch of NHLers there, but overall a pretty disappointing draft for a lot of teams I think.

• Options
    I just went back to look at the 2012 draft. A bunch of NHLers there, but overall a pretty disappointing draft for a lot of teams I think.

I'm pretty pleased with how Morgan Reilly is turning out, and Filip Forsberg is looking more and more like a steal, but yeah

Galchenyuk is good, but #3 overall good?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

I'm pretty pleased with how Morgan Reilly is turning out, and Filip Forsberg is looking more and more like a steal, but yeah

Galchenyuk is good, but #3 overall good?

Yakupov, being the huge bust that he is, still has (iirc) 4th most points from his draft year.

So, yeah...

• Options
    Hmmm. Yakupov at $875K for a year? Sure, why not.

I mean, he can't really make the Avs worse. Hell, I'd rather the Canucks had added him than Burmistrov when looking in the "disappointing russian prospects" bin.

• Options
    As good as Matthews and the rest of the kids were this year, my pessimistic Leafs fan heart just cannot picture them going deep in the playoffs within the next 2-3 years.

But that would be fun to experience as a fan :)
    To be honest, I don't expect to see a true playoff run from the Leafs for another couple of years, but if they keep up the way they have.... god damn are they in shape to be a dominant force in the near future. When Babcock first took the Toronto job, I thought he (a) was losing his god damn mind, or (b) was just that confident in his abilities to turn shit around. Turns out that Answer B may be the right answer.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If you look at the last couple Red Wings rosters he nursed to the playoffs, it was obviously B.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    If you look at the last couple Red Wings rosters he nursed to the playoffs, it was obviously B.
    Yeah, but the Red Wings are an organization that has seemed totally committed to improving most of the time. Toronto has been... well it seemed like Mayor Ford was in control of things at times. They just weren't going anywhere, so I had my doubts that even Babcock could pull it off. It felt like he was doing this for the challenge and to prove that it wasn't just the Red Wings players and front office that led to the success - that he could have similar success with almost any team.

• Options
    Connor McDavid is a 100 million dollar man

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    According to the headlines I'm seeing, it appears Carrie Underwood's husband has retired from the NHL.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Not actually using Fisher's name will never get old.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I, for one, am devastated that Carrie Underwood is no longer married to an NHL player.

The days of this are over

Carrie-Underwood-Nashville-Preds.png

Edit: fix'd name. Because derp.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Carrie Fisher was the Star Wars one

• Options
    Carrie Fisher was the Star Wars one

I have no idea what you're talking about. :rotate:

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Bryan Murray has passed away.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Pretty sad day :(

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    And the Red Wings Logo has apparently been adopted by Nazis

And the Red Wings then made a stronger anti-nazi statement that the President

• Options
    Sadly, I don't think sending cease and desists to these geese is going to have much of an effect.

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Sadly, I don't think sending cease and desists to these geese is going to have much of an effect.
    Legally, there is enough that can be done as only the spokes differ, and even then that is so minor of a change that it had to be pointed out to me in order to notice. That being said, any reasonable person would quite easily confuse the two logos and reasonably make a connection between geesey goose goosers doing really shitty things and the hockey club. Considering what the former side represents, that would be damaging to the latter's reputation. That's enough for legal action to be taken, and the publicity that the Virginia event created would be enough to make this high profile, and thus should have an impact.

If it the logo holds as different enough (Jibbers forbid), then we may be living in the Coming to America movie (which makes sense, as I think we're living in Idiocracy as well):
    mcdowells.gif

Remember: it's not the golden arches, it's the golden arcs.

I really need hockey to start....

• Options
    And there's also the provision in US law where any entity with a trademark must take every necessary step to protect that trademark, or they risk losing it. So regardless of any context, if someone is using the logo without permission, the Red Wings have to take action against it.

So yes, in all reality the Red Wings taking legal action against this particular group of people will not cause a great change in that group of people, it is something that legally they have to do. They also need to be doing it for reasons that go beyond the scope of this thread.

• Options
    Speaking of the Detroit Red Wings, did you know they are almost $4 million over the salary cap? And that's without signing Andreas Athanasiou

Burying Franzen's contract in LTIR will help, but then there's also a $2.6 million penalty this season for buying out Stephen Weiss

What I'm saying is, I feel real bad for y'all Wings fans. On the bright side, at least you're getting top-10 draft picks for the first time in over a quarter century?

• Options
    yea the wings have some work to do. You actually can't put a contract onto LTIR until the second day of the season, which means you have to be under the cap with that contract on the books when the season starts. They're going to have to make some kind of move.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Ken Holland became a shitty GM in like 2010 and the Ilitch family never noticed. It's pretty frustrating.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    In much more uplifting news, Kessel had his day with the Cup...

This discussion has been closed.