As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    My Roster
    Anaheim Ducks - Sami Vatanen (D)
    Arizona Coyotes - Alexander Burmistrov (F)
    Boston Bruins - Alex Khokhlachev (F)
    Buffalo Sabres - Zach Bogosian (D)
    Calgary Flames - Hunter Shinkaruk (F)
    Carolina Hurricanes - Eddie Lack (G) - Trade for picks
    Chicago Blackhawks - Viktor Svedberg (D)
    Colorado Avalanche - Mikhail Grigorenko (F)
    Columbus Blue Jackets - Oscar Dansk (G)
    Dallas Stars - Patrick Sharp (F)
    Detroit Red Wings - Xavier Ouellet (D)
    Edmonton Oilers - Griffin Reinhart (D)
    Florida Panthers - Reece Scarlett (D)
    Los Angeles Kings - Dustin Brown (F)
    Minnesota Wild - Marco Scandella (D)
    Montreal Canadiens - Tomas Plekanec (F)
    Nashville Predators - Colton Sissons (F)
    New Jersey Devils - Michael Cammalleri (F)
    New York Islanders - Ryan Strome (F)
    New York Rangers - Brandon Pirri (F)
    Ottawa Senators - Nikita Filatov (F)
    Philadelphia Flyers - Michael Raffl (F)
    Pittsburgh Penguins - Marc-Andre Fleury (G)
    San Jose Sharks - Brenden Dillon (D)
    St. Louis Blues - Nail Yakupov (F)
    Tampa Bay Lightning - Andrej Sustr (D)
    Toronto Maple Leafs - Eric Fehr (F)
    Vancouver Canucks - Ryan Miller (G)
    Washington Capitals - Karl Alzner (D)
    Winnipeg Jets - Quinton Howden (F)

Goalies - 4
    Defense - 10
    Offense - 16

Some of these picks are for trade bait, some for minors and most for active roster spots. With Free Agency around the corner, I think Vegas will have a decent line-up for opening night

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    They won't draft Ryan Miller, it would be a waste of a pick, he's an un-restricted Free Agent.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    They have to get to the minimum cap. Offer Miller a two year deal at a premium. He's not going to be the face of the franchise, but with him and Fleury working as a tandem, it gives you a better chance

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Strome would be a good pick

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/assemble-the-knights/draft-simulator

I'm drafting a team, and I think I have a pretty good mix of grit and heart and leadership going here, but I need to pick some goalies.

Adam Cracknell RW 31 69 10 6 16 9 12
    Cal Clutterbuck RW 29 66 5 15 20 2 28
    Chris Neil RW 38 53 1 3 4 -11 63
    Chris Stewart RW 29 79 13 8 21 3 94
    Cody McLeod LW 32 59 5 1 6 -3 145
    Dustin Brown RW 32 80 14 22 36 -4 22
    Jared Boll RW 31 51 0 3 3 -3 87
    Jarome Iginla RW 39 80 14 13 27 -30 70
    Jay McClement C 34 65 5 3 8 -8 18
    Jordin Tootoo RW 34 50 2 1 3 -6 28
    Josh Anderson RW 23 78 17 12 29 12 89
    Pierre-Edouard Bellemare LW 32 82 4 4 8 -1 20
    Shane Doan RW 40 74 6 21 27 -3 48
    Shawn Thornton LW 39 50 2 2 4 -7 67
    Steve Ott C 34 53 3 4 7 -8 80
    Tanner Glass LW 33 11 1 1 2 0 17
    Tom Sestito LW 29 13 0 2 2 0 48

Adam McQuaid D 30 77 2 8 10 4 71
    Brooks Orpik D 36 79 0 14 14 32 48
    Dalton Prout D 27 29 0 6 6 -1 44
    Deryk Engelland D 35 81 4 12 16 2 85
    Josh Gorges D 32 66 1 5 6 -3 50
    Kris Russell D 30 68 1 12 13 5 23
    Luca Sbisa D 27 82 2 11 13 -1 40
    Niklas Kronwall D 36 57 2 11 13 -7 32
    Robert Bortuzzo D 28 38 1 3 4 11 15

Looking for someone who can fit the mold of my team. Anyone know what happened to Ray Emery?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    that defense is.... not good. Too old and slow. There is zero chance it looks anything like that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Also something to consider is that Vegas probably isn't taking 30 bon-a-fide NHL'ers, because there are only 23 roster spots. So they may still take 25-26 guys and flip/trade a couple of them, but you can bet they'll be taking a couple high end prospects somewhere.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm a little worried about that offensive grouping, too.

Adam Cracknell looks to be a major weakspot, what with only 12 PIM's last season.

Might need to find some more truculence.

And I guess I read that Steve Ott retired? It's all falling apart.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Also something to consider is that Vegas probably isn't taking 30 bon-a-fide NHL'ers, because there are only 23 roster spots. So they may still take 25-26 guys and flip/trade a couple of them, but you can bet they'll be taking a couple high end prospects somewhere.

also, taking exposed players that other teams want, and then trading them for different players/prospects/etc

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, Ott's coaching now.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Is Iginla trying to compete with Jagr for longevity?

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Are you sure it's a good idea to put Shawn Thornton and Brooks Orpik on the same team?

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Oh man GK taking Cal would be great. What a stinker of a contract. But Garth loves the grits more than anything

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If anyone is at all curious about the new Adidas branded jerseys, apparently the reveal is tonight at 8pm eastern. Rumor is the Avs are going back to the mountain line style striping, which will make me so very happy.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    e: Nevermind, turns out they were just giving out wristbands, which is hardly the same thing.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    e: Nevermind, turns out they were just giving out wristbands, which is hardly the same thing.
    I'd buy Kessel's Hot Dog Strong bracelet in a heartbeat.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I missed the news that Mike Smith was traded to Calgary. Interesting, but I don't know that it changes much for anyone.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    I missed the news that Mike Smith was traded to Calgary. Interesting, but I don't know that it changes much for anyone.

2 years left on his contract, the next bridge for the Flames to try find an actual good goalie. Fans shouldn't expect an upgrade from Elliott.

• Options
    And also, Chad Johnson, has a higher career sv% than Smith.

• Options
    couple jerseys have leaked. Nashville's is slightly different, mostly in striping by the shoulders. Blues jersey is basically the same. Looks like the Adidas ones won't have as much of a plunging collar like the Reebok ones did.

2c2c4b5e952d14527f5ff67a8a303daf

DCyVdxHWsAUaVEz.jpg

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

Not really, just change all the diving jokes to oil sand instead of the desert kind.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    That Preds jersey needs something around the shoulders (besides a patch). It's pretty plain looking.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

2 years left on his contract, the next bridge for the Flames to try find an actual good goalie. Fans shouldn't expect an upgrade from Elliott.

Brian Burke is the President of the team, the Flames are never getting a good goalie.

:so_raven:
  • Options

Best image of all the jerseys so far since the official reveal has been pushed back a few hours. The mountain stripes are back!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

Brian Burke is the President of the team, the Flames are never getting a good goalie.

as a Leafs fan, I

am so, so sorry

• Options
    on the jersey topic, can the Lightning please choose a different colour scheme? Leafs have had blue & white for 90 years. At least throw some yellow in there or something, they're in the same dang conference,

• Options
    edited June 2017
    While I still very much hate the name "Golden Knights" (as well as a team in Vegas), their jersey is pretty awesome. It's kind of a Zelda-Spartan mix. I approve, because you know... they need my approval or something like that.

(figured I'd add a photo so as to not make people go looking for it - spoiled for size)
    955l1ct9xoaa.png

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    The Wild's new jersey is fantastic. They *finally* got rid of the bloody Christmas tree look.

I love the Golden Knights jersey and I kind of want one.

The Flames *still* have the stupid flags on their shoulders. (that was originally supposed to be a one year thing to celebrate Alberta's centennial. That was in 2005.

I can get past the Oilers dumping their royal blue for navy (for a second time), but the stripes on the new jersey are awful.

Not a huge fan of the Devils dumping the lower striping, but it's still fine.

I like the Avs returning to the look from the cup runs.

Otherwise... yea it's all mostly the same. Couple tweaks here or there, but the only like 5 teams did anything that was significant enough to be notable.

• Options
    I think the vegas home team jerseys look terrible, but their away ones are very nice.

Also, Erik Haula is now officially the 4th member of the Vegas Knights.

• Options

Friedman has more details on this, and it's fascinating in a terrible way. Apparently he has an allergic reaction to... hockey equipment. The medication he has been taking for "a few years" to combat it is apparently strong enough with enough potential side effects that doctors really don't want him on it anymore. It sounds like Hossa has actually played his last NHL game.....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-marian-hossa-might-played-final-nhl-game/

• Options
    Also, apparently Erik Karlsson is so good as an athlete that he was able to shoot an 82 at golf.... with a broken bone in his foot.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Friedman has more details on this, and it's fascinating in a terrible way. Apparently he has an allergic reaction to... hockey equipment. The medication he has been taking for "a few years" to combat it is apparently strong enough with enough potential side effects that doctors really don't want him on it anymore. It sounds like Hossa has actually played his last NHL game.....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-marian-hossa-might-played-final-nhl-game/

I feel like he could wear some sort of Under Armour liner shirt/pants to keep the reactions minimized. I also haven't clicked on the article, let alone read it.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

I feel like he could wear some sort of Under Armour liner shirt/pants to keep the reactions minimized. I also haven't clicked on the article, let alone read it.

This is something that he's been dealing with for years, apparently. I would assume they had/have tried every option as "stop playing hockey" probably wasn't his first choice.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    The whole Hossa situation is pretty damn convenient for the Hawks. That's not to say that Hossa isn't suffering from a life threatening situation, but that they decide this at the start of the last 4 years of his contract where he's only getting paid $1 million?

Convenient.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Hossa is alergic to a 80% cut in salary?

Sounds as reasonible as allergic to hockey equipment.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Alergic to hockey equipment sounds like a 8 year old kids excuse to try and get out of gym class

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Hossa is alergic to a 80% cut in salary?

Sounds as reasonible as allergic to hockey equipment.

the catch is that the cap hit is averaged out over the length of the contract, so while he's only being paid $1mill/year, he's taking up $5.25mill cap space

unless they can somehow put him on Long Term Injured Reserve, and get cap relief from that. see also: Chris Pronger

or as a Leafs fan, I like to call it "sending them to Joffrey Lupul Island"

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Alergic to hockey equipment sounds like a 8 year old kids excuse to try and get out of gym class

There is no need to doubt the severity of his condition, from what everyone is saying, this fairly seriously impacts his quality of life. It also is suuuuuuuupppppperrr convenient timing for the Hawks and for Hossa as well.

But it can be both things at once too.

More LTIR shenanigans incoming.

• Options
    The NHL just.... can they do literally anything right?

The Vegas Golden Knights, first expansion franchise in 17 years. Big win for the league. Surely their first game will be a marquee league event, a home game, hopefully the only game of the night, on opening night, nationally televised. Huge thing for the league.

Instead: NHL season starts October 4th, a wednesday.

Golden Knights open on the road on Friday night (the 6th) in Dallas. They then play in Arizona on Saturday the 7th. Their first home game is Tuesday October 10th. So yes, a new franchise starts with a road back to back.

The National Hockey League: if there's a way for us to screw something up, you bet your as we'll find it!

This discussion has been closed.