As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Thoughts on tonight’s hockey

* the Leafs made the right call keeping Garret Sparks over Calvin Pickard as their backup
    * I do feel kind of bad for Pickard though

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    this is quite possibly the saddest thing I have ever seen happen in an NHL game

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    holy shit

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    hey pals, say i want to watch hockey again instead of just following at a distance, but i don't want to pay like $2,000 a year for cable + center ice

what's the best option?

preferably one that allows me to follow a specific team

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Depending on the area you may be able to get a X team TV package for streaming, E. G. Leafs TV.

Otherwise the best way is nhl gamecentre. It's not cheap but it works great on anything that has apps or an internet connection.

The best experience for me has been with the Xbox one app. Smooth and great quality.

You can also setup a "favourite" team in the NHL app so you can get notifications and stories and stuff for your team, for example I follow the Leafs and it reminds me of games, compiles stories & videos and I can also of course watch the games.
    Choose the Leafs

• Options
    Without knowing where you are I'm not sure how the NHL app/NHL Gamecenter pricing will work (and US pricing is hard to see from Canada as I keep getting redirected to Rogers' version) but it looks like it's about $20USD/Month or $160USD for the whole season?

I watch games from my iPad, and on my TV with the PS4 app, you get every game and can set teams as favourites so you get score and news updates when you're not watching

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Chanus wrote: »
    hey pals, say i want to watch hockey again instead of just following at a distance, but i don't want to pay like $2,000 a year for cable + center ice

what's the best option?

preferably one that allows me to follow a specific team

If you're in the US, get NHL.tv, which is the league's streaming service. Local games and national games are blacked out, but if you follow a team that isn't in your local area you'll get a majority of their games.

If you're in Canada it gets significantly more complicated depending which team you want to follow. If that's the case let me know (also which Canadian team) and I can spell out the options.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    derp

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    oh right, i am in the US

gamecenter sounds like a good option, i'll have to check that out

are nbc games blacked out on that like they are with center ice?

also i will never support the leafs you can't make me :P

• Options
    derp double post.

• Options
    oh or nhl.tv hmmm

• Options
    oh right, i am in the US

NBC and NBCSN games are blacked out, yes. At least with NBC network games you can watch them with an OTA antenna. But yes, assuming the team you want isn't local, you can watch most of their games on NHL.tv.

If they are local you're screwed, as local games will also be blacked out.

• Options
    good thing i don't particularly care for the caps!

• Options
    oh right, i am in the US

I don't make anyone a Leafs fan. They come to it naturally, like enlightenment.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    this is quite possibly the saddest thing I have ever seen happen in an NHL game

Where's the rest of the Flames?

Did that one player score the previous 5 goals solo, too? :P

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    oh right, i am in the US

I don't make anyone a Leafs fan. They come to it naturally, like enlightenment.

i mean i do like mike babcock

• Options
    That was a short handed goal, too?

What the hell, Arizona?

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

What the hell, Arizona?

I mean, I get how it happens. The team on the power play is thinking Offence and not so much Defence, and then one of the defenders breaks up a play near the blue line and takes off. Kasperi Kapanen has had like 30 of those sort of short-handed breakaways for the Leafs, if you've got a fast skater on the PK it can be scary. It doesn't get really sad until 4 of them catch him behind the net and he still gets loose with the puck.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Is Arizona's penalty kill still running a positive goal differential?

Also, flyers fired GM Hextall

• Options

What the hell, Arizona?

I mean, I get how it happens. The team on the power play is thinking Offence and not so much Defence, and then one of the defenders breaks up a play near the blue line and takes off. Kasperi Kapanen has had like 30 of those sort of short-handed breakaways for the Leafs, if you've got a fast skater on the PK it can be scary. It doesn't get really sad until 4 of them catch him behind the net and he still gets loose with the puck.

Well, no, I know, short handed goals happen, but there was a lot that went wrong with the Arizona defense right there.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

What the hell, Arizona?

The main two breakdowns I see are:

1) 33 stops skating too early and coasts after the puck carrier behind the net. This causes him to not get good leverage when he takes the body on the boards

2) 8 takes the wrong route entirely. There is no good reason to be the third guy following the play behind your own net. He needs to cross the front of the net and approach the play from there, but he is also coasting and that would have taken some extra strides.

Count how many times you see a Coyotes player take a stride after the puck crosses the top of the circle. I am pretty sure it is zero. They all simultaneously stop moving their feet. It’s fun seeing how quickly NHL players can punish you when you stop moving your feet.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I suspect when you're down 5-0 in the 3rd, you're probably not really trying your hardest either.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    For the holidays, the Golden Knights introduce John McClane and Hans Gruber ticket packs:

cut.jpg

Yippee-ki-yay, indeed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    For the holidays, the Golden Knights introduce John McClane and Hans Gruber ticket packs:

cut.jpg

Yippee-ki-yay, indeed.

man FUCK Canadian ticket prices.

3 games and cirque du soleil for probably less than it'd cost me to go to one Canucks game and certainly less than a leafs game.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    It would cost me less to fly down to Austin, get tickets to the COTA Grand Prix, stay a couple days, and fly back, than JUST tickets to the Montreal Grand Prix.

And my Dad and I stopped going to Flames games a long time ago. It's just too much money. The last team I saw live was the Hitmen, which was actually super fun. And we got to park close to the Saddledome for once!

Nova_C on
  • Options
    WHL / CHL and I imagine AHL is where the real value is at these days for sure.

• Options
    If I still lived in Calgary, I'd be going to every Calgary Inferno game I could.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

cut.jpg

Yippee-ki-yay, indeed.

3 games and cirque du soleil for probably less than it'd cost me to go to one Canucks game and certainly less than a leafs game.

Lower-popularity teams are so where it’s at.

My season tickets in Anaheim are fifth row of the upper deck and come out to ~$38 per game. And I shave a little off that turning a profit on the most popular games.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular

Stephen Wicary is a writer for Bloomberg Canada.

• Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

cut.jpg

Yippee-ki-yay, indeed.

Lower-popularity teams are so where it’s at.

My season tickets in Anaheim are fifth row of the upper deck and come out to ~$38 per game. And I shave a little off that turning a profit on the most popular games.

Supply and demand, even in some relatively popular US markets. But, try to get tickets to a rangers game at MSG, or a Bruins game, etc. Prices there won't be much different than you'll see for leafs/habs etc.

• Options
    Yeah, when we lived in SoCal, getting tickets to Ducks games was damn easy and pretty cheap. Now that we are in Maine, getting Bruins tickets is neither easy or cheap.

Buddy of mine in Boston has a hook up with a season ticket holder, and can get some of those tickets for around $70, but the game where they are playing the Leafs, is more like $120.

Still better than trying to get tickets to a Patriots game though...

• Options
    After watching the TOR-BOS game last night, the big thing that all of the "Nylander doesn't deserve to make more money than Pastrnak" people are missing is that Pastrnak deserves to be making more money than Pastrnak. That contract is absurdly team-friendly, and Pasta should by all rights be making closer to $8 million/year or more.

It's like saying that no 2nd/3rd line center should make more than $4.5 mill because that's what Kadri's making, or setting the bar for 1st pair defensemen leading the league in scoring at $5 mil based on Rielly. That would be ridiculous. Contracts that pay players well below market value shouldn't be used to determine what new contracts should look like any more than Peter Chiarelli's ridiculous overpays.

The other one I hear is "Nylander asked for $8mil, he's not worth that!" For starters, we don't actually know that, and even if it's accurate, that's how negotiations work. You ask for more than you expect to get, they offer less than you're worth, and ideally you meet somewhere in the middle. If the rumoured $6.9/7 mil figure that's been floating around is accurate, I'd be fine with that.

• Options
    I've tried to avoid talking about the Nylander thing too much, but it sounds like something is finally happening and I wanted to get out in front of some of the arguments that have been annoying me before I talked about how he's been seen at the Toronto airport and I'm definitely not compulsively refreshing Twitter.

• Options
    Are they expecting him to sign? I haven't kept too close a track of the whole saga, but is it finally looking to be resolved?

• Options
    Yeah, sounds like they’re very close and presumably he’s in Toronto to put pen to paper

Talk over the weekend is they’d more of less agreed on the dollar amount and were just negotiating the number of years.

• Options
    He's not worth what he's asking so I hope he's come down for a long deal but I expect a cheap bridge deal and him to be trade bait.
    In no scenario would I give jeopardize matthews, marner or other contracts for nylander so he can go play somewhere else or sit on the sidelines this season.

I do hope it's over soon one way or another.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I hope they're offering him so much money for such a long contract that they have to trade off all their young talent to the western conference.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Again, nobody asks for what they actually feel they are worth in a negotiation, that would be really silly. He will come down from whatever his starting point was, because that’s literally how negotiations work

Also reminder that nobody outside of those negotiations actually knows what he’s asked for, or what he’s been offered. Every figure has been speculation and runours. I’m actually impressed by how little actual information has leaked through this whole ordeal, Dubas seems to have really learned a lot from Lou in that regard.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Again, nobody asks for what they actually feel they are worth in a negotiation, that would be really silly. He will come down from whatever his starting point was, because that’s literally how negotiations work

Also reminder that nobody outside of those negotiations actually knows what he’s asked for, or what he’s been offered. Every figure has been speculation and runours. I’m actually impressed by how little actual information has leaked through this whole ordeal, Dubas seems to have really learned a lot from Lou in that regard.

It was pretty widely reported that the original Nylander ask was for the Draisaitil contract, 8.5 for 8 years. That was reported by people who wouldn't have said so without being sure it was correct.

It's also reported right now that they're about 300k apart, which doesn't seem like a lot, but if both sides have already moved by almost 2 million and don't want to budge anymore... that kind of difference can be enough to sink it.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

It was pretty widely reported that the original Nylander ask was for the Draisaitil contract, 8.5 for 8 years. That was reported by people who wouldn't have said so without being sure it was correct.

It's also reported right now that they're about 300k apart, which doesn't seem like a lot, but if both sides have already moved by almost 2 million and don't want to budge anymore... that kind of difference can be enough to sink it.

It was widely reported, yes, based on a single Daren Dreger quote, and because that was the only solid figure anyone had heard about either side, everyone ran with it. You’re right that someone like Dreger wouldn’t say something like that without being sure it was correct... which is why he said it with a massive disclaimer that everyone else proceeded to ignore:

“There are others, not Leafs connected, but others around the league that think his ask may have been around $8M or higher” (emphasis mine)

That’s it - if anyone can point to a quote claiming a figure like that from actual sources involved (even anonymous ones) I’d love to see it, because everything I’ve seen refers back to Dreger, and Dreger was clear that this was external speculation.

The thing to keep in mind is Toronto sports media, especially Leafs media is largely a mix of equal parts dumb and sensationalist. They all want the clicks/listens/whatever, and will latch on to even the slightest whiff of a story and run with it because if they don’t, everyone else still will.

This discussion has been closed.