Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Gritty [NHL] Thread

1646566676870»

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I opted to buy in to the reduced price NHL TV subscription just to watch the Leafs, and just in time for this Leafs / Habs game. Honestly, worth it just to have the CBC feed...

Oooh thanks for the reminder on that, it's down to $40 for the remainder of the year ($32 for one team)!

camo_sig2.png
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    Weird hockey trivia of the day: What famous pop singer was the first person hit by a puck in the Panthers' arena in Sunrise, Florida?
    hint: they were five years old, and had been hit by a puck the year before in the team's old Miami arena.
    Dy_NzlQVYAA67Tp.jpg:large

ElvenshaeThe Escape GoatInvectivusInkstain82
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Weird hockey trivia of the day: What famous pop singer was the first person hit by a puck in the Panthers' arena in Sunrise, Florida?
    hint: they were five years old, and had been hit by a puck the year before in the team's old Miami arena.
    Dy_NzlQVYAA67Tp.jpg:large

Ariana Grande!

FearghaillInkstain82
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I had to read that twice, because my first thought was, "The Florida Panthers have been around long enough for kids at their games to have grown up and become pop stars?" And then I looked it up and saw they've been around since '93?

What the fuck?

I am the old now.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Gnome-InterruptusInkstain82InvectivusJayrichoChanusFearghaillAridholMugsleyBullhead
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I had to read that twice, because my first thought was, "The Florida Panthers have been around long enough for kids at their games to have grown up and become pop stars?" And then I looked it up and saw they've been around since '93?

What the fuck?

I am the old now.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Here's your onion.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Nova_CInvectivusChanuschrono_travellerFearghaillShadowenMugsley
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat bad, but in a useful way Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    Oh dang, I didn't know the Panthers were older than me.

The Escape Goat on
    ipb9shu990mz.jpg

• ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular

god damn it

**Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    Nova_Cchrono_travellerLD50JayrichoAridholchromdomGnome-InterruptusShadowenBanzai5150MugsleyBullhead
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I don't believe you. Don't you have to be at least 13 to use the forums?

Nova_C
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    It only gets worse. I graduated college in Jan 2002. Some kids starting college this coming Fall were born the year I graduated.

/drink

Mugsley wrote: »
    It only gets worse. I graduated college in Jan 2002. Some kids starting college this coming Fall were born the year I graduated.

/drink

What are you talking about, youngster?

I graduated '97.

Also, off my lawn with you!

InvectivusBullhead
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    Schide wrote: »

When people start learning about advanced stats, a common thing they’ll want to learn is what players are actually better than most people realize, and which players are secretly terrible.

Jack Johnson has been the go-to example of the latter for years, to the point that stats twitter were flabbergasted when Pittsburgh gave him 5 years at 3.25mil (that’s right, 4 more seasons of this and he is on the wrong side of the aging curve)

An example of a player that advanced stats say is actually better than he’s often given credit for?

Jake Muzzin :cool:

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 12
    I watched the actual video like three times and this gif a dozen more, and I still don't know where the puck went and how it appeared out of thin air on Crosby's stick.

Burtletoy on
    BullheadGnome-Interruptus
    It fell. Crosby's body is blocking most of it, but you can see the blur right before he grabs it.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    My guess would be it fell off the netting and the officials missed it, just with how it lands.

Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • Lost CanuckLost Canuck Asst. To the Regional Minister Swindon: A Terrible Place to Not LiveRegistered User regular
    The Canucks have goalie prospect Mike DiPietro up from the OHL on an emergency call-up and are playing like dogshit in front of him.

I love that our defence is giving him his second soul-crushing loss in Rogers Arena this year after the World Juniors.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Team Swindon: Imagining a better life, in your town.
    The Canucks have goalie prospect Mike DiPietro up from the OHL on an emergency call-up and are playing like dogshit in front of him.

I love that our defence is giving him his second soul-crushing loss in Rogers Arena this year after the World Juniors.

I mean, the Canucks defence is bad in general, aside from Tanev, and they're up against one of the top offensive teams in the league. It was always going to go this way.

The bigger question is what the hell is Benning doing? I know Markstrom and Demko are both hurt, but they had DiPietro as backup since the 5th, that is plenty of time to find any alternative to throwing a promising young prospect to the sharks years before he's likely to be ready. AHL teams exist for this very reason!

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    the move came... a day late. they just picked up mazanec

they were burnt on the mckenna trade and benning was probably trying to save face and not look like he was frittering away resources: classic sunk cost fallacy, really

i don't think the d was especially bad in front of him; it's been bad whenever it's not 100% healthy this year. the green goalie just exposed it. markstrom has been hot fire. i really think it needs addressing: pouliot's redemption song ain't getting sung, and the press box has not been kind to biega's hustle

edit: oh, further to the mckenna thing: i read somewhere that mckenna's only in the A on a conditioning stint, and in like 4 days he'll need to be waived again. at which point benning can reclaim him. i suppose he assumed he could ride markstrom that far

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    That’s assuming the 10-11 teams ahead of the Canucks in waiver priority don’t claim him first

bsjezz
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    That’s assuming the 10-11 teams ahead of the Canucks in waiver priority don’t claim him first

As an NHL Twitter follower, about 75% of the people worth claiming off waivers do not get claimed.

And about 25% of the people on waivers are worth of getting claimed.

So, in my opinion, it's a solid bet

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Every once in awhile, my twitter feed will have Gritty RTing the Flyers official axcount and I’ll wonder for just a split-second why Gritty cares about some random hockey game

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 17
    So recently the Hurricanes have taken to having some elaborate victory celebrations at home. One among them being playing Duck, Duck, Goose at center ice. Apparently Don Cherry doesn’t like it, and called the team “a bunch of jerks”. The Hurricanes have responded....

Jayricho on
    Nova_CDeadfallFearghaillchrono_travellerInvectivusElvenshaeShadowenChanus
    Cherry is ridiculous. I can't wait until people stop asking his opinion about, well, everything.

JayrichojmcdonaldCristovalThe Cow KingShadowen
  • DeadfallDeadfall Registered User regular
    I do find it silly but you know what? The league could use some silliness.

BFzWh4r.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    www.hoptonogood.com - Beer/Adventure/Life
    FearghaillJayrichoElvenshae
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I do find it silly but you know what? The league could use some silliness.

ShadowenJayrichoFearghaillChanusDeadfallchromdom
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Credit to the Hurricanes, who are taking their moment of national relevance and running with it:

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    ShadowenChanusJayrichochromdom
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    I just hope they can be be good sports if/when they make it to the playoffs this year and then lose a series at home and their opponents do the duck duck goose celebration on their turf.