Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Poké] PKMN - Comfy And Easy To Wear

1356718

Posts

  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Pidgey allows for inspection of its form, seemingly proud of its impression. They stretch out their wings out a bit, getting a feel for them. Vol might notice that the feathers feel only slightly slick to the touch.

    As the weasel looks away to pound its chest at the dark-type, there is a subtle glow. Looking back, Volnoy might notice a orange Buizel with a single cream colored spot on her back standing next to it. The nearly identical 'mon holds a paw to it's mouth to stifle a giggle at the other's show of bravado.

    Obviously, Al is able to watch the entirety of this scene as it plays out. Alex seems wrapped up in exploring the functions of his own newly certified 'dex, seemingly well-accustomed to Pidgey's antics around new friends.

    "Bui!"
    For the record, I already kind of miss the thickness of Al's accent. On the other hand, character development!

    Tommy2Hands on
    Cdcniho.jpg
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    ~ Sycamore Labs ~
    ~ Jim ~

    "The Tower of Mastery is known to reward them to gifted trainers on occasion," Sycamore replies to Jim, cautiously. "The actual trigger for Mega Evolution is a Key Stone that may be set into a variety of accessories, to keep it close at hand and not easily lost."

    "I do not know of any Mega Chandelure, but nor do I know many Chandelure trainers in the first place! Perhaps if you train your Litwick to its limits and desire yet more power, you could be the first to discover it."

    ~ Richter ~

    "Enchante," the Professor replies politely, accepting the Pokedex. "Right to business, oui?" he says with a smile when Richter asks his first question.

    "For the duration of your journey, you will be covered for the 'room and board' at any Pokemon Center, as well as a number of hotels and residences that have been League-approved. You are also covered for local transportation, and in some few cases inter-city travel, though you should mostly be using the Routes to travel from town to town. Now that you are a League Challenger, you may view, using your Pokedex, which amenities and services you may freely use. And I suggest you pay close attention to them so that you do not find yourself faced with an unfortunate bill in the morning or your bus trip stopping in the middle of nowhere for a two hour seminar on Alolan timeshare property."

    "To be basic, your routine living and travel expenses will be taken care of, freeing you to roam the region and train your Pokemon without too much distraction. If you desire any specialist equipment, expensive Pokemon training tools, or anything else of that nature you will have to dip into your own savings, I'm afraid."

    He gives the Scientist's second question a few moments of thought before replying. "My mentor was very much interested in the topic of Pokemon evolution, and I myself ended up studying the phenomena of Mega Evolution after finishing my own Pokemon Journey. Lately, we have been collaborating on the subject of Pokemon changing Types, as it pertains to both the normal Evolution, as well as many cases of Mega Evolution."

    "I could very well recommend that the study of Primal Reversion and its possible relationship to Fossil Pokemon is badly in need of good researchers, but I would instead suggest that you take this Pokemon Journey as a chance to visit many interesting places, meet fascinating people and find out about what they are passionate about. The best research to pursue is one that seizes your heart, lights fire to your thoughts. The League Challenge is not necessarily about becoming Champion, but about finding your place in the world. Somewhere out there, your destiny is waiting for you to stumble upon, and write many dissertations about it."

    ~ Everyone ~

    "Well, that seem to be the entire group handled, congratulations to you all!" The Professor says, addressing the entire group. "Normally at this time I would give the usual League speech, but I believe our introductions and questions have neatly handled the bulk of that."

    "All that is left, is to humbly ask if you would grant this Professor's request for a Pokemon battle, that I might see first hand the spirits of competition and bonds of friendship between such promising trainers and their Pokemon?"

    Tutorial Battle? Y/N?

    Marshmallow on
    img]
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    "J'en suis!", Alex responds, suddenly looking up from his pokedex.

    "Any chance to get some experience in the region is worth going after!"

    "Bui!"

    Tommy2Hands on
    Cdcniho.jpg
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Doesn't know many Chandelure trainers? What kinda third-rate backwoods hick town is this place if nobody's using the hottest Pokemon around? Of course, Jim doesn't say any of that. It would be impolite.

    "I dunno, fighting a Professor? Sounds kinda lame... SAID NO TRAINER EVER!" exclaims Jim. "Eli, you ready, let's do this!"

    Eli, however, looks rather less confident, hiding behind Jim's leg. He moans nervously, and his purple flame grows a bit. "Wiii..."

    "You got this, little buddy!" Jim says comfortingly. "Now go get 'em!"

    Eli hops forward from behind Jim's leg and takes a ready stance.

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    At Richter's request, Al hands him the towel he used to dry off after his run. It's slightly damp, but can only help remedy the other young man's inventive approach to drying off. When the Sakhalian trainer hears the part about 'amenities and services', he instantly starts to leaf through the gyms, climbing walls, and swimming pools available for the group's use through Kalos. "A shame there is no allowance for fashion," he says ruefully. "Even as a, ah. Sponsorship and advertising..." He grasps for the word, gesturing with a hand, before settling on, "Deal."

    Volnoy puffs out his chest again when Pidgey turns orange, though whether it's a challenge, flirting, or showing off is unclear. Aleksandr glances over to check the situation, then looks between Alex and the Professor. "This will be very good to be watching," he offers, nodding towards Jim and Beatrix. "I hear you are fond of le Rocabot, Professor. Is that true? Volnoy has never fought one, should we all be allowed to test our skills."

    Anyone fast enough to catch the screen on Aleksandr's Pokédex before he slips it into a thigh pocket on his shorts would see, just before the display winked off, that it was showing the base statistics for a Rockruff, with a highlight on the Kalosian name.
    Don't worry, Tommy! I planned for Al's accent to thicken up when he's under stress, in battles and stuff. I figure he has that over-precise way of speaking at the moment that marks him as non-native, but that he'd shook some of the Russian from his English. Unovian. Languages in the Pokémon world are really weird!

    Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Tommy2Hands
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    You thinking of Professor Kukui or am I missing a reference while blazing through these Rockruff bulbapedia pages, Kay?"

    Edit: Also, everyone present can (and should!) throw in if they want to participate in the battle. Professor Sycamore can send out as many Pokemon as needed. There's a reason he cleared off this side of the lab.

    Marshmallow on
    img]
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I am one hundred percent confusing Professor Stylish with Professor Hotbod. But maybe I'm implying that Sycamore and Kukui should totally date. Want me to alter that to Sycamore's signature Garchomp? I am a dumb.

    Sycamore with a Rockruff would be adorable, though. Way better than some flavour of Frou-Frou.

    Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Beatrix made a mental note to visit the Looker Bureau before she left Lumiose City on her journey. If not to register, then at least as a courtesy to inform the local investigations unit of her presence here in Kalos. At least that way she might be of some assistance to them on the field. And who knows, maybe in return they’ll be able to inform her mother where she was exactly. It’s not like she specified which Pokémon League she went off to…

    Revolted at the sudden change of Pidgey’s appearance, Moriarty merely squawks menacingly at the Pokémon (and one to Volnoy too, just for good measure) before landing himself back on the young detective’s shoulder. The delectable descriptions of Kalos’ delightful delicacies absorbed the Murkrow’s thoughts.

    Beatrix, on the other hand, was more elated on how affordable it was being a Pokemon Trainer here in Kalos. It’s not like she packed a lot of money for the trip, and she had to keep herself on a tight budget. Well… at least tight enough to afford a glutton like Moriarty in tow.

    The Professor’s request fired up Beatrix, and the other trainers’ insistence merely reinforced her attitude. “We’re Pokémon trainers, regardless of where we came from or what drives our desires. To say no would be inexcusable, dear Professor. As they say in the Pokémon League circles: BRING IT ON!” With fire in her eyes, she looks at her partner in crime. “Let’s do this Moriarty! We win, we’ll go to town and get one of those sablé things! On me!”

    That was all the inspiration the Murkrow needed. The Pokemon prepped himself for battle. Delicious victory (both figuratively and literally) was assured… at least in his mind.

    "This will be very good to be watching," the Sinnoh trainer offers.

    Inspired by his words, Beatrix pulls out her notebook and scribbled enthusiastically: “The Labs of Lumiose City sets the stage for our young heroes.
    The Professor: the director... Our Pokémon: the actors....The trainers: Viewers with front row seats...
    Will this be the opening act of something great, or will Prof. Sycamore call down the curtains early on our protagonists' hopes?”


    Tutorial Battle?
    -> Y/N

    TiamatZ on
    MarshmallowTommy2Hands
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Um.."
    Richter nudges his sleeping Pokémon with his foot.
    An overly loud snoring starts up, a sound not all too dissimilar from that of a cement mixer churning pebbles.
    Richter rolls his eyes.
    "Sure, we'll battle."

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    MLZmTAy.png

    ~ Sycamore Labs ~

    Nodding his approval, Professor Sycamore pulls one side of his lab coat across the front of him, then with a flick, flings it dramatically to the side. Five red-and-white Poke Balls are sent spinning out onto the floor of the makeshift arena, unleashing their contents in a flash of red light.

    "Well then, Allons y!"

    Professor Sycamore challenges you to a battle! :whistle:

    The first Pokeball releases a squat, green Pokemon, with crimson eyes, and a plant-like bulb on its back. "Buh, buh," it challenges loudly, widening its already rather wide stance. The Seed Pokemon, Bulbasaur!

    The second Pokeball discharges a red, bipedal, lizard-like creature. Turning its harsh eyes on the assembled trainers, it hisses and whips its fiery tail in a cloud of hot cinders. The Lizard Pokemon, Charmander!

    The third Pokeball lets loose a blue, tan-shelled Pokemon, reminiscent of a turtle. Casually blowing a few bubbles, it cautiously scans its surroundings and potential foes. The Tiny Turtle Pokemon, Squirtle!

    In a puff of dust, the Fourth Pokeball unleashes a furry, brown quadruped decorated with spikes of rock. Barely able to contain its excitement, it chases its tail for a few circuits before playfully bowing at its opponents, tail violently wagging while shedding bits of gravel.
    The Puppy Pokemon, Rockruff!

    Last but not least, the final Pokeball lets out a pudgy, brown Pokemon, with round ears and protruding incisors. Crouching on its hind legs and wriggling its red nose, its gives a hearty "Bee-dooo!" before settling back on all fours, its poker face betraying nothing. The Plump Mouse Pokemon, Bidoof!

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Battle Status
    Near the Trainers
    - Pidgey [|||||||||]
    - Eli [|||||||]
    - Volnoy [|||||||]
    - Moriarty [||||||||]
    - North [|||||||]
    Near the Professor
    - Bulbasaur [|||||]
    - Charmander [|||||||]
    - Squirtle [|||||||]
    - Rockruff [|||||||]
    - Bidoof [||||||||||]
    Computer Desks
    - empty
    Against the Wall
    - empty

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Will this be the opening act of something great, or will Prof. Sycamore call down the curtains early on our protagonists' hopes?”

    Hey now, don't tempt fate. Bidoof could end up wiping the floor with someone.

    Opponents are on a first-post, first-dueled basis. I think Kay has dibs on the Rockruff though.

    How to Battle
    Battles take place in a general space called a Field, leave the field and you're fleeing the battle. Fields are divided into distinct partitions called Areas. When a Pokemon is in an Area that only includes itself and allies, it may freely leave that Area and enter any other, as well as perform a Move. When there are enemies in their Area, they are Threatened and can only leave that Area by using the Disengage action, which means giving up their chance to use a Move (or they may use a Mobile Style Move to leave that Area, either before or after dealing damage, or the Offensive Style Move to shift themselves and a target out of that Arena).

    (For the purposes of this battle, only the Pokemon that your own Pokemon is dueling is considered an enemy - the other Pokemon won't Threaten you in an attempt to stop you from leaving the current Area.)

    This battle takes place in the Sycamore Lab Field, current Areas are Near the Trainers at the front of the room, Near the Professor at the back of the room, Computer Desks which is to the left, and Against the Wall which is to the right.

    In a battle, you post the action of your Trainer and their Pokemon, hopefully stating outright which move you are using somewhere. You do not need to post in the order of your Pokemon's speed, just throw something out there and it'll all get compiled into a GM response.

    Marshmallow on
    img]
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Quick question - what kind of actions can trainers take? I'm assuming that using items on your Pokémon (like potions etc) should probably not happen in a trainer tutorial battle, but can you cheer them on, spot weaknesses, TRULY BELIEVE in their ability to dodge an attack, or yell GO FOR THE HORN?

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    I was working on some rules to that effect shortly before putting up this game. Things like "Trainer Styles" that would let you use medicine more effectively, counter some strategies better, or Physique on in and fight alongside your Pokemon in the case of a tough wild battle or criminal team encounter where usual League rules get thrown to the wind.

    Was having an absolute devil of a time getting them organized and balanced, though, so I decided I'd drop the issue in order to actually get the thread out the door.

    Just about the extent of things at the moment would be probably using Knowledge to dredge up info on opponents (or spending a turn flipping through your pokedex), stepping in and taking hits/delivering a hit with Physique, and maybe other stuff? If you have some ideas I guess just go for them and we can see how things play out. It's not like I can't step up the difficulty of future encounters if things get ridiculous (and at some point, sooner or later, things will absolutely get ridiculous).

    img]
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Alex is the first to step forward.

    "You ready Pidg?"

    "BUI", Pidgey replies enthusastically, turning from Volnoy to face the Professor's assorted champions. There's a glow that surrounds them as they move their orange forepaws to an all-fours position.

    "Copy the Bulbasaur, it'll have the best typing for this! Look out for that other lizard though!"

    "Bulb!", the newly appeared seed Pokémon replies, already way ahead of their trainer.

    [PIDGEY used IMPERSONATE on BULBASAUR]

    Tommy2Hands on
    Cdcniho.jpg
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The change in Aleksandr's stance and demeanour is almost instantaneous when the Pokéballs hit the floor. "Volnoy," he calls, raising one hand to point out the Puppy Pokémon. "It is tougher, but you have more speed. Move in and show your type advantage." A determined smile breaks out on his face, and his focus on the upcoming battle is unmistakable.

    Volnoy is in motion even before the order is given, and the grin on his face matches that of his trainer. There's a brief burst of water as the Water Weasel accelerates, quickly in the thick of the Professor's challengers. Al pivots on his front foot, then thrusts the heels of both hands to the side, barking out a command in his native tongue.

    The Buizel throws out a Powerful Palm Strike, aiming to push the Rockruff Against the Wall, to gain an advantage.
    I figured I'd just post what Volnoy aims to do rather than pushing the puppy all over the place. It might even get to act first, or dodge or something!

    Al is just being supportive, offering some cheerleading and type-advantage pointers.

    Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Alex is the first to step forward.

    "You ready Pidg?"

    "BUI", Pidgey replies enthusastically, turning from Volnoy to face the Professor's assorted champions. There's a glow that surrounds them as they move their orange forepaws to an all-fours position.

    "Copy the Bulbasaur, it'll have the best typing for this! Look out for that other lizard though!"

    "Bulb!", the newly appeared seed Pokémon replies, already way ahead of their trainer.

    [PIDGEY used IMPERSONATE on BULBASAUR]
    Are you going after Squirtle?
    Otherwise I'll attack Squirtle...

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I do believe some music is in order


    The young lady scans the Lizard Pokémon with her Pokédex, expecting to find some information that could give her (and her friends) an edge to beating it. Being a detective means having all possibilities open, even the more minute ones.

    “Alright, Moriarty! That red lizard looking Pokémon looks like an easy target! Get in there and peck at him. Isolate him from the rest, and it should be easy pickings.” Beatrix commands.

    “Krow” the Pokémon squawks in reply. The Murkrow charges in, preparing a Peck attack, hoping to aim the Charmander into the Computer Desks...

    OOC:
    Was going to take on Squirtle, but since North has a resist to Water attacks, I don't need to worry about him after all. Curse my Gen 1 knowledge.

    Nevermind, just forgot Eli's part ghost, so he should be safe from normal attacks too. Changed my original target to Charmander instead.

    This will also be the last time I meta this. Next time I'll just play the character as is.

    TiamatZ on
    discrider
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Jim sighs. "I guess teamwork is off the table, then? Seems like we'd be better off with a focus-fire approach. Oh, well." He steels himself with clenched fists and bared teeth. Then he points a pair of fingers at the Bulbasaur, directing Eli into the fray. "Eli, the green one looks like your best shot! Lay down some covering fire, the way only you can!"

    Eli takes a deep breath and grins as his wick grows ever brighter, losing its purple hue in favor of a bright yellow. The candle leans forward, glancing up to check his aim, then releases a gout of flames from its head towards the Bulbasaur, a fairly standard Ember attack, keeping itself well back. No need to leap into the fray right at the start.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Richter looks around.
    Well, it looks like we're taking the Bidoof! Go North!
    The snoring resumes in earnest.

    Richter sighs.
    Let's try that again.
    He spins the coffee trolley around to point the Geodude in the general direction of the other Pokémon.
    Go North!

    The Geodude opens his eyes as cart and Pokémon roll towards the Bidoof.
    The Bidoof jumps to the side as the cart skids to a stop beside it.
    North! Start things off with Barrier!

    North rights himself as he sizes up the other Pokémon.
    Then, arcing up his anodes, he creates a wall of electricity surrounding himself and the Bidoof.

    Richter notes that the steam emanating from North's containers on the cart helps suspend the charge in the air a bit longer than usual.
    Perhaps something to investigate at a later date.
    @TiamatZ
    Technically, Geodude's should be weak against water, but I wanted to further emphasise the Electric nature of North (Even though Electric also doesn't resist water).
    And I guess what kind of Alolan Pokémon hasn't tried to surf anyway?

    He's also resistant to Dark because at some point I expect to teach him Flash :P
    Really I just strung a lot of things together that sort of half make sense if you squint a bit.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    TiamatZMarshmallow
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    ~ Sycamore Labs ~ :whistle:

    "Okay everyone!" Sycamore calls out to his team. "This is your exercise for the day! Have fun, and do your best!"

    All of the assembled lab Pokemon except for the Charmander reply in the affirmative, while the Fire Type simply blows a derisive puff of soot out of its nostrils.

    Beatrix's Pokedex beeps as it brings up the requisite data on her target. It's a long page but she can spare just enough attention to read that it's a Charmander, and this particular specimen is a known subspecies that is Fire/Dragon Typing. There's more, but her attention is dragged back to the battle. She could attempt to read further, but that would mean leaving Moriarty without commands for several moments...

    Meanwhile, fastest Pokemon of the bunch, Moriarty responds to its trainer's command and its own avarice for all things sweet to throw itself into the thick of things. The other Pokemon step aside as the Murkrow spears toward its intended target, who awaits the flying type with a glare and clenching claws.

    Moriarty used Peck on Charmander!
    Charmander took 2 Stamina Damage!
    Charmander was Thrown to Computer Desks...


    The clash is over in moments, Moriarty flipping back into the air, while the hapless Charmander flies in a manner of its own. Flung across the room into the banks of computers, the Lizard Pokemon bounces off a desk and neatly takes out a computer tower, it and the unfortunate case tumbling to the floor in a crash of shattered plastic and reptilian screeching.

    Charmander took 1 Stamina Damage!

    One of the researcher assistants, now faced with a blank monitor, sighs and slowly places his head down on the keyboard in defeat.

    (That's Why You Save Every Five Minutes...
    Beatrix gains 1 Trainer Exp!)


    "Charmander be careful over there, that equipment is expensive!" the Professor calls over, to absolutely no avail as the Charmander deftly begins slicing itself free of the tangle of wires beneath the desk with its claws.

    In the wake of the Murkrow alpha strike, a pair of leaping Buizel fling themselves into the thick of things. Propelled on a wave of water until the last moment, Aleksandr's partner reaches the tail-wagging Rockruff and slams it with both hands.

    Volnoy used Palm Strike on Rockruff!
    Rockruff took 2 Stamina Damage!
    Rockruff was Thrown to Against the Wall!


    Sent tumbling tail over teakettle, the Puppy Pokemon's rocky decorations make an unholy clatter as it spins across the concrete, shortly making impact with the right-side wall with such power that a few cracks make their way outward from its point of impact.

    Rockruff took 1 Stamina Damage!

    The other Buizel sidles close enough to the Seed Pokemon to get a good look at it, and then suddenly there are two similar Bulbasaur, one of them stepping backwards in surprise.

    Pidgey used Impersonate on Bulbasaur
    Bulbasaur took 1 Stamina Damage!
    Pidgey gained Vine Whip [Physical/Grass/Powerful]!


    Back by the computers, having finally freed itself of the wires, the Charmander pushes its way past the chair of the devastated assistant, diving back into the fray and aiming its tail at the airborne Moriarty. Waggling it in a manner that could almost be considered cute, any endearing qualities of the act are ruined by the cloud of hot ash and ember being flung from the fire on the tip of its tail.

    Charmander used Tail Torch on Moriarty!
    Moriarty took 3 Stamina Damage!
    Moriarty's Defense Fell!


    While Richter gets his Pokemon aimed and ready, the fluffy Bidoof takes a moment in the midst of all this chaos to roll its shoulders, shake out its legs, and hops a few times in place, apparently getting itself pumped up for battle.

    Bidoof used Work Up!
    Bidoof's Attack Rose!
    Bidoof's Special Attack Rose!


    Finally situated, Richter sends North's metal cart across the lab. The Alolan Geodude, acting on its trainer's encouragement as well as the close presence of a foe, sends out its staticky Barrier, subsuming both itself, and its Bidoof target, in a shield of crackling electricity while the mob of nearby Pokemon back away cautiously from the makeshift arena.

    North used Barrier on Bidoof
    Bidoof took 1 Stamina Damage!
    North's HP Rose!


    Taking advantage of the Bulbasaur's shock at having been summarily impersonated, Elijah sends a splash of flame searing through the air with supernatural accuracy, splattering the hapless Grass Type with its elemental weakness from a safe distance.

    They're pretty sure they hit the right Bulbasaur. Like 90% sure.

    Eli used Ember on Bulbasaur!
    Bulbasaur took 3 Stamina Damage!
    It's Super Effective! (Quick On The Uptake: Jim gains 1 Trainer Exp!)


    Getting back to its feet, the Rockruff barks happily at the outcome of their first interaction and with a bounce in its step begins jogging back towards Volnoy for more fun. While the Buizel readies itself for the Rock Type's next attack, the Puppy Pokemon takes a meandering route through the riot of battling Pokemon, roughly shaking it head and shoulders to release a cloud of dust that billows in its wake.

    Lowering its head and sprinting directly at its target, Volnoy has more than enough time to dodge back, though he needn't have bothered. The Rockruff aborts its charging feint to once again bow and pounce from side to side, eager to show just how up for playing it is. The dense cloud of dust cannot stop quite so suddenly, however, and both the Buizel and Rockruff are suddenly obscured in a cloud of rough, eye-stinging dust and grit.

    Rockruff used Sand Attack on Volnoy!
    Volnoy's Attack Fell!
    Volnoy's Special Attack Fell!


    Set upon by two enemies at the same time, the bewildered Bulbasaur falls back on an old standby, flinging out a pair of vines from the base of its bulb to encircle its imposter, then flinging it as far away from itself as it can.

    Bulbasaur used Vine Whip on Pidgey!
    Pidgey took 3 Stamina Damage!
    Pidgey was Thrown to Against the Wall!


    The tiny Seed Pokemon is a lot stronger than it looks, and the Bulba-Pidgey is sent flying off the right side of the room, impacting the already Rockruff-damaged wall with a crack.

    Pidgey took 1 Stamina Damage!

    Having taken yet another slam from a thrown Pokemon, the cracks on the wall begin to spread and widen.

    Having been completely forgotten in the middle of the melee taking place near Professor Sycamore, the Squirtle shrugs to itself and starts setting it sights on the most vulnerable looking opponent.

    Placing one hand against the floor to steady itself, the Tiny Turtle Pokemon ignores the chaos around it as it focuses on its distant foe, calculating trajectory. Narrowing its mouth, it sends a thin but powerful stream of water arcing across the lab, narrowly missing several scuffling Pokemon on the way to its ultimate target.

    Squirtle used Water Gun on Eli!
    Eli took 3 Stamina Damage!
    It's Super Effective!


    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Battle Status
    Near the Trainers
    - Eli [||||---]
    Near the Professor
    - Moriarty [|||||---] -1 Df
    - Volnoy [|||||||] -1 At, -1 SA
    - North [|||||||]+[||] +1 HP
    - Charmander [||||---]
    - Rockruff [||||---]
    - Bulbasaur [|----]
    - Squirtle [|||||||]
    - Bidoof [|||||||||-] +1 At, +1 SA
    Computer Desks
    - empty
    Against the Wall Cracks: 2
    - Pidgey [|||||----] Vine Whip

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Didn't take long for this to start becoming a free for all did it? How the heck am I going to handle Gym battles without going insane?

    Also, I don't have time to double check this for errors 'cause I gotta head to work, but I didn't want to make people wait. If there's any problems, I'll try and fix them in the morning.

    To forestall a possible question: Yes, Rockruff is not weak to Fighting.
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    I do believe some music is in order
    Great minds think alike (the :whistle: in my posts generally link to appropriate music for a scene)
    Professor Sycamore challenges you to a battle! :whistle:


    Marshmallow on
    img]
    discriderTiamatZKayTerrendos
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    ~ Sycamore Labs ~
    Didn't take long for this to start becoming a free for all did it? How the heck am I going to handle Gym battles without going insane?

    Also, I don't have time to double check this for errors 'cause I gotta head to work, but I didn't want to make people wait. If there's any problems, I'll try and fix them in the morning.

    To forestall a possible question: Yes, Rockruff is not weak to Fighting.
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    I do believe some music is in order
    Great minds think alike (the :whistle: in my posts generally link to appropriate music for a scene)
    Professor Sycamore challenges you to a battle! :whistle:

    I expect it will go back to duelling when Pidgey occupies the Squirtle.
    Just at the moment he's picking up the Bulbasaur's type.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

    Didn't take long for this to start becoming a free for all did it? How the heck am I going to handle Gym battles without going insane?

    Order?! In a Pokemon RP?! Surely you jest, good sir?

    Great minds think alike (the :whistle: in my posts generally link to appropriate music for a scene)
    Professor Sycamore challenges you to a battle! :whistle:

    D'oh! It is I, Tiamat, who is the dummy! That's what I get for not paying attention.
    And speaking of not paying attention, I take it reading on Charmander's entry would take a full round action, thus leaving Moriarty exposed to any attacks? Or is it possible for a Pokemon to take a defensive stance on its own?

    Edit: Or for that matter, what trainer actions/exploits DO count as a full round?

    TiamatZ on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    "Change of plan," Aleksandr calls. "That is one tough pupper. Keep moving, it wants to play." The Sinnoh trainer shifts his stance, and gestures for Volnoy to return. "Strike and dash, Volnoy! Get out of the dust cloud!"

    "Bui," Volnoy growls, drawing out the warning with a show of teeth - which of course, no-one can see through the Sand Attack. The Buizel wipes one forepaw over his eyes to clear them, and eventually makes out the outline of the prancing Puppy Pokémon at the center of the obscuring sand. Another explosion of water propels the Water Weasel, as he launches himself towards his opponent with a Mobile Splash Dash, finally coming to rest Near the Trainers and Aleksandr. Volnoy shifts his stance, and mimics his trainer's gesture, this time towards the Rockruff.
    Oh dear. I think we're about to learn what happens when Attack + STAB - Defense = ZERO. :o

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Spying the Charmander flailing around in the electrical cabling, Richter does some quick risk/benefit analysis.

    North! Good work! Try an Earthquake next and aim for that cabling!

    North nods in response.
    The Barrier didn't seem to do much damage, so perhaps switching it up a bit might help.

    North strikes down with his hands, rupturing the earth and catching the Bidoof in the shockwave.
    Meanwhile, the Geodude himself is propelled by the blast, sending his cart ricocheting towards the Computer Desks and leaving the water containers behind.
    The cart slides across the floor, running into the desks and sending the Pokémon careening off the lower shelf and into the mess of cut cables.

    Convenient mutters Richter, approvingly.
    Certainly better than the Rock mon's normal strategy of just flinging itself bodily after the move.
    That likely would have launched some screens across the room.
    If the Bidoof moves area before North gets his turn, I may have to modify the action.
    Also I think the Bulbasaur is more damaged from the Litwick's attack

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    Marshmallow
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Oof, that bulasaur hits like a truck. And 4 damage barely did anything to it.

    Alex winces as Pidgey hits the wall.

    "Hang in there Pidgey!", he shouts encouragingly as the maliable 'mon slides down the concrete. She looks seem stunned, but literally shakes it off as she adapts to her new shape.

    "Now, show its friend how that feels! Move in on the turtle and hit it with a grass attack! Put it up against the wall!"

    "Bulba!", Pidgey responds as it runs back into the fray, towards the shelled Pokémon with its newly acquired vines extended.

    Tommy2Hands on
    Cdcniho.jpg
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    also, not that it matters much marsh, but I thought Pidgey's copying attack was a special attack? I could change it to be physical though if that was more in line with your thoughts

    Also also how would folks feel if I set up stuff on the voltage wiki for this game?

    Tommy2Hands on
    Cdcniho.jpg
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    discrider wrote: »
    If the Bidoof moves area before North gets his turn, I may have to modify the action.
    Also I think the Bulbasaur is more damaged from the Litwick's attack
    It might just have a fuck ton of health though.18 by my current estimate?

    I trust that if anyone dies and turns into glitchghosts he'll let us know

    Tommy2Hands on
    Cdcniho.jpg
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    If the Bidoof moves area before North gets his turn, I may have to modify the action.
    Also I think the Bulbasaur is more damaged from the Litwick's attack
    It might just have a fuck ton of health though.18 by my current estimate?

    I trust that if anyone dies and turns into glitchghosts he'll let us know
    Nah.
    Bulbasaur took 3 stamina damage from Li, and 1 stamina damage from Pidgey.
    Everyone else lost 1 | per stamina damage.
    I'm pretty sure that Bulbasaur's on 1 HP, and that the second attack on him was accidentally skipped over on the health update, as he was the only Poké attacked twice.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Y'know, nevermind the Dex entry. Right now, Moriarty has about 0 defense, surrounded by a lot of enemy Pokemon. Got to get him out of there.

    Beatrix looks oddly at Charmander’s entry. “Fire’s weak to water, that’s a no-brainer for sure. But what is Dragon and what's it wea…”

    A loud crash brought her back into the fight. "OH MY!" She was so focused on gathering information, that she did not even realize the damage Moriarty and the Charmander were wreaking. Beatrix could only offer her sincerest apologies to the assistant. “Sorry. Sorry. Very sorry. Didn’t knew Murkrow were that strong, to be honest. So sorry…” The detective made another mental note to recompense the poor soul who WAS working there. Somehow. Someday.

    But not right now.

    Right now both the Murkrow and the Charmander were heating up (figuratively speaking), and it looked like neither were happy with one another. If she didn’t know any better, these two ‘mons looked like they developed a competing grudge for one another. The clash of two titanic egos, so to speak.

    Though she admits the Charmander’s subsequent attack was adorable, the puff of hot ash in Moriarty’s face clearly was not. The Murkrow was fast on his feet and mayhap packed a punch, but he was as fragile as the very peanut brittle he enjoyed munching on (the irony was not lost to her). She needed a plan to save Moriarty.

    Well, that… AND she needed to keep collateral down to a minimum. She spies the battered wall on the other end of the room. Sure, it was slightly damaged (if having a rock puppy sized crack was considered slightly), but at least no humans or delicate equipment was situated there. “Ok, Moriarty… new plan. Pursue Charmander with a flyby, and then lure him away from the others. Make him waste time and energy getting to you, not the other way around.” Was her attempts at reasoning to the Murkrow, while also trying to salvage his scorching self-esteem.

    The Dark type Pokemon caws, followed by a quick Pursuit on the Charmander, and wraps it up by flying across the room, positioning his back Against the Wall.
    also, not that it matters much marsh, but I thought Pidgey's copying attack was a special attack? I could change it to be physical though if that was more in line with your thoughts

    Also also how would folks feel if I set up stuff on the voltage wiki for this game?

    I'm perfectly fine with that, though in the end it's Marsh's call imo.

    TiamatZ on
    Marshmallow
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Jim winces as Eli gets hosed down, but recovers quickly. "Eli! You've got this, shake it off!" Encouragement is all Jim can offer the candle, whose mood is now as damp as his wick.

    But Eli recovers quickly, boosting his flame to dry himself off in a cloud of steam. When the steam clears, Eli's got a wicked look in his eye.

    "That's the way," Jim calls out. "Now let's finish off that green guy and steer clear of the turtle! Speaking of which...." Eli flips open his newly-active Dex to take a look at the offending sprayer. Once the bulb guy's down, that little guy's in for the spook of his life!

    Eli lines up another careful shot, and a second glorious gout of Ember flames finds its way to the Bulbasaur.
    To clarify, just having Jim check the name (and typing) if possible on Squirtle, since I assume he doesn't know much about any of these except the Rockruff.

    Terrendos on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    I take it reading on Charmander's entry would take a full round action, thus leaving Moriarty exposed to any attacks? Or is it possible for a Pokemon to take a defensive stance on its own?
    Fully reading the entry would mean skipping the round, yes. I'm amused by the idea of a trainer that looks up the entry on a Pokemon they want to catch, notices it learns an interesting Move so they click on that to learn more, then click on the list of Pokemon that can learn that move, and then with one thing and another its three hours later, they're reading about a Pokemon-based collectible card game, all their Pokemon have fainted waiting for instructions, and the wild Pokemon got bored and left ages ago.

    Alternately! An option that I thought up would be to spend a Knowledge token under the aegis of detectiving - knowing how to skim reports quickly to get the relevant info, or just having a good eye for important details, allowing Beatrix to quickly scroll through the Charmander article and get the actual good bits quick enough to still be able to fire off a command to Moriarity.
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Edit: Or for that matter, what trainer actions/exploits DO count as a full round?
    The only trainer action I'd say definitely takes away your ability to give a shouted order to your Pokemon would be using an item (either because it distracts you to much, like the Pokedex, or it takes a while to apply/take effect, like medicine. Possibly also attempting to use Network to influence a Pokemon, since that requires you to at least talk for long enough for the tone of your words to get across.
    Kay wrote: »
    Oh dear. I think we're about to learn what happens when Attack + STAB - Defense = ZERO. :o
    Anything intended to deal damage always deals at least one point of damage (unless trumped by something very specific, like a Move Style or Ability). It's not really formal, but making Resisted attacks able to be reduced to 0 with sufficient defenses, and having Super Effective Moves always deal at least 2 points of damage seems appropriate, for those cases.

    Also this is another reason Boosting style is great, the bonus is doubled if the stat you're boosting is lowered, so its a potent counter to this kind of situation.
    discrider wrote: »
    If the Bidoof moves area before North gets his turn, I may have to modify the action.
    Also I think the Bulbasaur is more damaged from the Litwick's attack
    With Mobile Style, you may choose to move either before, or after, dealing damage, AND if you are unthreatened you may shift to another Area as normal. So if the Bidoof moves, North is unthreatened, can chase after it with his usual movement, then use Earthquake to trigger another Arena shift.

    Doesn't make a difference in this case, since Bidoof has no Mobile moves and doesn't feel like disengaging, but worth keeping in mind for later encounters.

    And you are correct on the Bulbsaur damage. I knew 5 Stamina probably wouldn't cut it.
    also, not that it matters much marsh, but I thought Pidgey's copying attack was a special attack? I could change it to be physical though if that was more in line with your thoughts
    Did I mess up somewhere? Pidgey still needs to get at least somewhat close to use it (only Ranged Style can hit another Arena) and it stills deals damage so the Bulbasaur knows something's up. Bulbasaur also has amazing Special Defense, hence how it could survive Eli's Ember.

    If you want a more subtle version that won't tip off a Pokemon that its being attacked, this battle is actually also the tutorial for Status Category moves (see: Bidoof's Work Up, Rockruff's Sand Attack) which don't deal damage in return for having an enhanced Style effect.

    ie. Copying Style
    Adds the last Move used by the target to the user's Move Pool for the duration of the battle.
    [Status] - If learned as Status Category, the target's entire Move Pool is copied to the user.

    So if Pidgey had the Status version and used it on Bulbasaur, it wouldn't have dealt any damage, and it would have also picked up Poisonpowder, or growl, or razor leaf, or whatever other Moves it might have other than the first one it used (Vine Whip). Possibly important: Bulbasaur may also have not have figured it was being "attacked" and retaliated.
    Also also how would folks feel if I set up stuff on the voltage wiki for this game?
    No objections. Bear in mind the other game on there is still technically active, if only barely so. I'm also using the Marsh's Secret Base page to organize my GM stuff, though probably not anything spoiler-y.

    img]
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    Alternately! An option that I thought up would be to spend a Knowledge token under the aegis of detectiving - knowing how to skim reports quickly to get the relevant info, or just having a good eye for important details, allowing Beatrix to quickly scroll through the Charmander article and get the actual good bits quick enough to still be able to fire off a command to Moriarity.


    That's actually a great idea. Is it possible to retcon my move to use a Knowledge exploit? If not, it's no problem. Just gotta remember that next time I use the Pokedex in the field.

  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    ~ Sycamore Labs ~ :whistle:

    Skimming her Pokedex quickly, Beatrix is able to memorize a few quick facts on this particular Charmander foe before she has to tear her eyes away and get back to helping her partner.
    A Wyrm-bred Charmander is usually the result of having a well-known Dragon Type or two, such as Dragonite or Garchomp, in its ancestry. The Typing enables it to shrug off Water moves far better than more typical Charmander, and it has easy access to strong, Dragon Type Moves. Many Trainers don't consider these benefits worth the breed's poor attitude, however, which usually only gets worse as it evolves.

    Typical Role: High Speed, Mixed Attacker (uses both Physical and Special Moves), Moderate Defenses
    Typical Weaknesses: Ground, Rock, Dragon
    Typical Resistances: Bug, Electric, Fire, Grass, Steel

    While the Lizard Pokemon may be fast, Beatrix's Murkrow still proves to be faster, using its aerial agility to land a solid blow against the Charmander before taking flight towards the other side of the room, daring its opponent to follow.

    Moriarty used Pursuit on Charmander!
    Charmander took 2 Stamina Damage!
    Moriarty shifted to Against the Wall!


    Within the cloud of dust containing Volnoy and his playful enemy, there is the sound of a crashing wave and harsh impact before the Buizel skates out on a jet of water to rejoin his trainer. Left behind, the puzzled Puppy Pokemon watches as the cloud of dust settles into a puddle of mud around it, prancing in place in an attempt to keep as many of its paws out of the wet as possible.

    Volnoy used Splash Dash on Rockruff!
    Rockruff took 2 Stamina Damage!
    It's Super Effective! (Second Time's A Charm: Aleksandr gains 1 Trainer Exp!)
    Volnoy shifted to Near the Trainers


    Stampeding back into the middle of the room, Pidgey seizes the distracted Tiny Turtle Pokemon in her brand new vines, before flinging it bodily towards the same wall she herself just recovered from being flung against.

    Pidgey used Vine Whip on Squirtle
    Squirtle took 2 Stamina Damage!
    It's Super Effective! (It Looks Better On Me, Anyway: Alex gains 1 Trainer Exp!)
    Squirtle was Thrown to Against the Wall!


    Withdrawing into its shell as it hurtles through the air does little more than increase the Squirtle's aerodynamic capability... that is until it smacks against the wall, expanding several cracks into gouges and sending a shower of broken mortar clattering to the floor.

    "Hey now! Do be careful with that wall!" Professor Sycamore shouts over. "Behind it is... what room is behind that wall again? Merde, I should know this..."

    Squirtle took 1 Stamina Damage!

    Thoroughly unamused by the aerial antics of its now apparently pretty sworn foe, the Charmander sets its claws to concrete and dashes across the intervening distance between it and its hovering foe with the speed and focus of a raptor. Leaping up after the Murkrow, it lands a bone-jarring tackle as it charges past towards the wall, claws digging into the crumbling masonry as it gains a foothold.

    Muscles tensing, its feet shove outwards, propelling it into a backwards flip that lands it back in the middle of the room, crouching in front of Professor Sycamore.

    "Magnifique, most acrobatic," the Professor says approvingly, clapping his hands together a few times. The edges of the Charmander's mouth twitch, but it ultimately maintains its angered demeanor, though nothing can stop its tail from wagging a bit. For balance. Of course.

    Charmander used Dragon Rush on Moriarty!
    Moriarty took 4 Stamina Damage!
    Charmander shifted to Near the Professor!


    Finally feeling ready, the Bidoof gazes at North with a truly chilling look in its eyes. The utter, pitch-black glimmer of a horrid, evil plan being hatched.

    Bidoof used Nasty Pl-

    "No, absolutely not!" Professor Sycamore commands from the sidelines. "Never under any circumstances, especially after last time. Shame on you."

    Sighing, the Bidoof loses its terrible appearance, though there's still something a bit off about its expression...

    More than that will have to wait, however, as the Plump Mouse Pokemon runs forward, smashing into the Alolan Geodude's cart with surprisingly little effect on its doughty occupant. Still, the two are propelled across the floor until they are closer to the League Challengers.

    Bidoof used Tackle!
    North took 0 Damage!
    It's not very effective...
    Bidoof Pushed North to Near the Trainers!


    Unconcerned and undamaged by this assault, North calls upon the power of the earth around itself and the odd Bidoof. The eruption of dirt sending the Normal Type a-shaking on its feet and the Alolan Geodude spinning away to safer climes...

    North used Earthquake on Bidoof
    Bidoof took 1 Stamina Damage!
    North shifted to Computer Desks!


    Landing safely in the tangle of wires, all seems well until one of the cut ends happens to make contact with North. The lights above flicker as electricity darts dangerously across the Geodude's hard shell, the computer monitors begin to brighten spectacularly, until they overload, popping in explosions of sparks and thrusting the room into near absolute darkness, lit only by the spectral blue of Eli's lit wick.

    (Lights! Camera! Power Outage!: Richter gains 2 Trainer Exp!]

    "Hold up, time out!" the Professor calls over.

    ...

    ...

    ...

    With a distant, rhythmic thrumming, the lights flicker and then slowly come back on one by one, returning the lab to its well-lit status.

    "Backup generator," Sycamore says proudly, as his assistants warily look from the desks they've taken cover behind. "Okay, allons continuer!"

    Meanwhile, North practically glows with absorbed voltage, having drunk its fill of the Lab's power before the generators kicked in.

    North is feeling Pumped!
    North's next Move will deal extra damage!


    Taking the distraction as a chance to gather some info on the creature that just soaked his pal, Jim surreptiously scans the Tiny Turtle Pokemon and discovers its a Siren-bred Squirtle, a rather rare subspecies that is a Water/Fairy Type.

    Time out over, Eli takes aim at the much-damaged Bulbasaur, seeking to take it from 'last legs' to 'no legs' in a blast of ghostly flame.

    Eli used Ember on Bulbasaur!
    Bulbasaur took 3 Stamina Damage!
    It's Super Effective!


    Scorched and covered in soot, the beleaguered Bulbasaur crumples to the ground in defeat, prompting the Professor to recall it back into its Pokeball. "To Jim, goes the first faint!" he says, bowing with a flourish. "How will the rest of you fare, I wonder? So Exciting!"

    Bulbasaur fainted!

    Extricating itself from the unwelcome puddle, the Rockruff once again sets sights on its preferred playmate. Charging in its usual meandering manner, it reaches a paw past Volnoy's defenses to boop the Buizel on the nose, sending the water weasel to the floor with the dense, powerful strike.

    Rockruff used Smack Down on Volnoy!
    Volnoy took 3 Stamina Damage!
    Volnoy's Speed Fell!


    Regaining its legs, the Squirtle sidles across the intervening distance between it and Pidgey, adopting an endearing look of bruised innocence, as though to ask why the transformed Ditto is bullying it.

    Squirtle used Charm on Pidgey!
    Pidgey took 2 Stamina Damage!
    Pidgey's Attack Fell!


    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Battle Status
    Near the Trainers
    - Volnoy [|||---x] -1 At, -1 SA, -1 Sp
    - Eli [||||---]
    - Rockruff [||-----]
    - Bidoof [||||||||--] +1 At, +1 SA
    Near the Professor
    - Pidgey [|||------] Vine Whip -1 At
    - Squirtle [||||---]
    - Charmander [||-----]
    - Bulbasaur Fainted
    Computer Desks
    - North [|||||||]+[||] +1 HP
    Against the Wall Cracks: 3/5
    - Moriarty [|-------] -1 Df

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    That's actually a great idea. Is it possible to retcon my move to use a Knowledge exploit? If not, it's no problem. Just gotta remember that next time I use the Pokedex in the field.

    Yeah, I get my best ideas trying to think about Pokemon instead of work. And yes, you may! At this point the information won't really give you any advantage (that I can figure), but it did give me a chance to talk about this Charmander, which I am starting to like, so I'll go ahead and GM No Contest that Exploit (which means you get the effect but don't have to spend the token).


    Marshmallow on
    img]
    KayTiamatZ
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The Buizel hits the floor, bounces, and immediately pushes himself up on his forearms with a snarling growl.

    "You're still faster," Aleksandr assures Volnoy, lowering a hand to rest it on his Pokémon's crest in reassurance. "And calm down, this is a friendly battle."

    Volnoy rolls to his feet, and shakes himself off while the Rockruff prances before him. "Bui," he says in grudging acceptance, before stomping one foot down powerfully. He rises on a plume of water, turning in mid-air as he falls to tug on the Puppy Pokémon's tail on the way past. Then he rides the wave, skating to a halt just in front of Professor Sycamore at the other amidst the Kalosian's own friends - and Pidgey? It's a little hard to keep track of which Bulbasaur is which in the midst of the melee.

    While Volnoy battles, Aleksandr skirts the battlefield nimbly, vaulting over one of the computer desks as he does so. There's more than a little traceur in his movements. He also skids to a halt by the Professor, glancing between Sycamore and Volnoy from his crouch, ready to protect the wounded Buizel if something a little too strong for a friendly match comes his way.
    That's another Splash Dash in the works, with Volnoy shifting to Near the Professor afterwards. Al does have Mobility 2, so if I need to spend a token for him to pick his way over there, I can do it. I think he's going to be looking stuff up on his Pokédex afterwards, AND MAYBE ASK TO PLAY WITH THE PUPPY AFTER OMG IT'S SO CUTE.

    Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    AND MAYBE ASK TO PLAY WITH THE PUPPY AFTER OMG IT'S SO CUTE.

    This is the true danger of Pokemon Tabletop. Pokemon are way too adorable to start with, and then you throw in an endearing personality and some antics and jesus christ.

    I already have an unhealthy attachment to Edgy Lizard, Clueless Mutt, and Shadow "Going To Kill Everyone In This Room" Bidoof.


    img]
    KayTommy2HandsTiamatZ
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I'm legit afraid of the Bidoof.

    It's gonna end up as the last of the Professor's mons standing, and we're going to have to take it out as it Nasty Plots ignoring the shit out of the Professor. SHADOW BALLS FOR ALL.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Marshmallow
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    No comment.

    Also no need for a Mobility token to hop-skip over a couple Areas. Seems well within a Mobility 2 Ace Trainer's ability.

    img]
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    also, not that it matters much marsh, but I thought Pidgey's copying attack was a special attack? I could change it to be physical though if that was more in line with your thoughts
    Did I mess up somewhere? Pidgey still needs to get at least somewhat close to use it (only Ranged Style can hit another Arena) and it stills deals damage so the Bulbasaur knows something's up. Bulbasaur also has amazing Special Defense, hence how it could survive Eli's Ember.

    If you want a more subtle version that won't tip off a Pokemon that its being attacked, this battle is actually also the tutorial for Status Category moves (see: Bidoof's Work Up, Rockruff's Sand Attack) which don't deal damage in return for having an enhanced Style effect.

    ie. Copying Style
    Adds the last Move used by the target to the user's Move Pool for the duration of the battle.
    [Status] - If learned as Status Category, the target's entire Move Pool is copied to the user.

    So if Pidgey had the Status version and used it on Bulbasaur, it wouldn't have dealt any damage, and it would have also picked up Poisonpowder, or growl, or razor leaf, or whatever other Moves it might have other than the first one it used (Vine Whip). Possibly important: Bulbasaur may also have not have figured it was being "attacked" and retaliated.
    Also also how would folks feel if I set up stuff on the voltage wiki for this game?
    No objections. Bear in mind the other game on there is still technically active, if only barely so. I'm also using the Marsh's Secret Base page to organize my GM stuff, though probably not anything spoiler-y.
    Whoops, I think I was conflating a special attack with a ranged attack. Yeah, after this battle I think a status version of the attack would be more in line with what I was thinking of for the move.

    shouldn't there have been an additional point of stab damage on the squirtle?

    Cdcniho.jpg
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if Pidgey and Alex have the heart to knock this squirtle out you guys

    Cdcniho.jpg
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    shouldn't there have been an additional point of stab damage on the squirtle?

    As I'm calculating it, It's 1 At + 1 STAB + 2 Super Effective - 2 Df = 2 Damage.

    STAB + Super Effective doesn't mean you do a minimum of three damage (maybe at one time it did? There's way too many iterations of PKMN/Voltage).

    Edit: Charm it back. Go for a Friendship-ality.

    Marshmallow on
    img]
    Tommy2Hands
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Beatrix had hoped that the info she scanned through Charmander's data entry would be of some use in this fight, but it turned out all for naught, as the Murkrow had no means to be effective against this rubicund reptile. The devastating tackle the Charmander unleashed on her Pokemon didn't helpbolster her confidence either. The poor bird pokemon was at the edge of fainting, she noticed. She had to do something!

    "C'mon, Moriarty! Is your first loss going to be against this draconian dupe?!" She calls out to the Murkrow. "You going to get your feathers ruffled by that pint-sized, pipsqueak pyromaniac? You going to let him get the last laugh on us, and by extension, you?! Let's show HIM what we're made of! Use that beak of yours to pierce the heavens, and show him just who the hell you are! And if not for yourself, then for all the sablé of Kalos!" Though there were still other opponents on the field, Beatrix knew the rivalry between these two Pokemon is what is driving her Murkrow to continue. If its not candy that drives him, it's his pride. Even if he fainted in battle, she would consider it a success if Charmander was the first to fall to Moriarty's hands... err... claws.

    Beatrix uses a Network token to (maybe?) Inspire Moriarty with determination optimism!

    With determination, Moriarty aims himself toward the Charmander, and initiates a Peck attack, and hit him into the Wall for good Measure.

    Beatrix stopped for a moment and gathered her train of thought. "Well, maybe not ALL of the sablé. Who knows what that would cost... But most definitely what we can afford!"

    Beatrix raises her fist in the air for good measure!
    Youch, that Dragon Rush! Moriarty can't take another hit of such magnitude!

    That Bidoof's gonna be a problem for sure. If we don't stop him, we might end up with...
    XPi9xo1.jpg

    TiamatZ on
    MarshmallowTommy2Handsdiscrider
Sign In or Register to comment.