As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Poké] PKMN - Comfy And Easy To Wear

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Should we just run concurrent gym leader battles?

• Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    discrider wrote: »
    Should we just run concurrent gym leader battles?
    Up to Marsh to decide. I skimmed through the thread this weekend, and Al wanted his match sometime the afternoon during Day 1. Jim's battle was scheduled to be 10 AM during Day 2, with Bea following shortly after at 12. As for the battles themselves... again, it's Marsh's call. If I recall correctly, he offered doing the gym battles on IRC #voltage.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I have the rest of the week off after tonight, so I will def have the time to finish off a gym battle in IRC if we want to roll that way.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    ~ Santalune Gym - Day 2~
    Beatrix had to admit she wasn't jealous of Jim at that moment, standing on the proverbial center stage. If anything she had to give some measure of respect to the (over)confident trainer. As an investigator in training, Beatrix was not used to the idea of potential fame and fortune. The only bright flashing lights and noises Beatrix thought she would be used to, would be those of crime scenes with the flashing of cameras and the chattering of radios/phones. Not those of a cheering crowd and a packed amphitheatre. it almost felt daunting to her. A villianous grunt looking for trouble in some dark alleyway? Bring it on! A gym leader with a crowd of excited onlookers cheering her on as well as the spotlight trained on her? Not so much.

Still, she brought what solidarity she could muster and offered a hearty cheer towards Jim’s team. She would have reassured Jim that, if she had packed them, that a tiny set of pom poms would have been available and at the ready for him (or for the others, for that matter).

"Whoo, you go Jim! Break a leg... err... that's not yours... or your team's...err... what I mean is... Go Jim!"

Samuel himself intrigued her, insomuch as another bug type gym leader. She was looking forward as to what kind of personality Samuel had as a gym leader. Castelia’s fan favourite Burgh always enjoyed treating battling as he did with his love for the arts: cheery, creatively and with a flash of panache. Not to mention the man’s love for wordplay.

Oh boy, those bug puns. Did Burgh ever LOVE his bug puns.

Moreover, if Samuel’s prowess with bug Pokémon was as effective as Burgh’s was, she wished the best of luck for Jim and his team.

As for her own team, Vance was sitting in an empty seat next to hers, which was fortuitous as she was not in a compelling mood to argue or convince anyone else to give up theirs. The roaring crowds did little to keep the Playful 'mon calm and composed, resulting in him being tense and paranoid. With so many people (and Pokemon) about, he had a nagging feeling ambush could happen at anytime. Beatrix reassured him no harm would befell him… at least… until it was their turn to challenge Samuel. If anything, this was something she believed they shared a mutual kinship with.

Moriarty, however, thrived in this chaos. Perched atop Vance's seat, the Dark-type Pokemon was soaking in all the applause, lauding and hoots from the spectators like that of a famous actor awaiting his fans at a standing ovation. The overflowing cacophony and wild cheers was befitting a haughty Pokémon of HIS stature. Emphasis on was, considering this was Jim’s moment to shine.

If only he could be the center of such attention, the bird Pokémon thought to himself. Don’t worry pal, you’ll have your time in the spotlight soon, she thought to herself.

With binoculars on hand, she scopes out the battlefield, before checking out the spectators. Maybe there’s someone she could recognize from the crowd...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Concurrent battles work fine for me. And probably for everyone since waiting for your turn would be even more agonizing than my usual updating schedule. Tiamat managed to get me to run one in irc and I forget how long and exhausting these are, even in chat format.

At least when I'm spending 5 minutes on each Pokemon action, trying to make them exciting, but that's my fault. Better finished 3-4 hours than 3-4 weeks, and with something post-able.

~ Santalune Arena (Santalune Gym) ~
    Aleksandr
    Kay wrote: »
    "No thank you, I do not think Volnoy would appreciate the daisy."

"But it would look ever so cute on him," Samantha says sardonically. "But suit yourselves."
    "Your special move, though. That was amazing to witness. We don't have anything like that,"

"A Signature Move," she clarifies. "Costly to teach and difficult to use, but effective, yes. I imagine you'll develop a few of your own. Sooner or later."

She accepts his hand, offering a perfunctory shake before pulling her hand back. "Hora's always a monster," she says, wearily. "Your Buizel though. Lots of potential. Let me know if you want any help. With that."

Jim

As the booth ascends, and Jim makes his address to the crowd, he can finally see his opponent for the first time. A middle-aged man with stern, Kantoan features, cool eyes, and a wholly composed appearance amidst the reckless abandon of the crowd, the lights, and the cameras.

"Monsieur Veidt, you have come so very far to participate in our humble League, bold and confident," he bows, slightly.

"I should like to see the bond, between you and your Pokemon, that merits such confidence. To see that you are as bold in battle as you are in bearing," he continues, low commanding tones that carry over the audience with the aid of the arena's speakers.

"Reveal the passion that you will bring to the Pokemon League, the drive that will see you overcoming every obstacle in your path, and I will surrender to you the Bug Badge, as evidence of your accomplishment."

Raising his arms, he releases a pair of Pokeballs into the arena below, the sphere erupting in red light to reveal a purple, butterfly-like Pokemon with white wings, and... nothing? Wait, no, there's a very, very small, yellow fuzzy thing down there, too.

Gym Leader Samuel sent out Butterfree! Joltik! :whistle:

Battle Status
    Tower Top - (inaccessible except from Airborne or Interior) + (Good vantage point)
    Tower Interior - (cover from Ranged attacks)
    - Joltik [ |||||||| ]
    Tower Surroundings
    Airborne - (accessed via Flight or (temporarily) by Jumping)
    - Butterfree [ |||||||| ]

- Eli [ |||||||| ]
    - Lotty [ |||||| ]

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Jim recognizes the Butterfree by reputation. Whatever the Joltik is, however, Jim doesn't really seem to care. He flips open his Pokedex but doesn't bother looking down at it.

"You got it, Sam!" Jim calls out in response. "But if I'm gonna battle like this, I'm gonna need some killer music!" He looks down to a man in the back corner doing the sound mixing for the audio. "Hey! You!"

The man looks up at him and raises his hands in a questioning gesture.

"Yeah! Play something flashy, something really heroic for us to battle to!"

The man shrugs, then thinks for a second, and finally nods. He reaches over and pushes a few buttons on his board and tabs over to a song on his notebook computer. A second later, a tune bursts forth over the arena sound system.

:whistle:

Jim listens for a moment. "Oooh-hoo yeah! Let's do this!" His body is visibly shaking in excitement as he shouts out his first commands.

"Let's burn down the little one ASAP and work together on the flier! Eli! Show that mite your new dancing skills to this killer jam! Lotty! See if you can't put a damper on that Butterfree's wings!"

Eli locks his eyes on the Joltik, and phases right through the walls of the tower to get to his target. He spins and twirls as the music crescendos, and as his flame grows, it becomes clear that hiding out in an enclosed space was probably a poor choice. The upward slope of the tower forms a venturi, accelerating the convective effects of the roasting-hot air through the top, while the decreasing pressure results in fresh air blowing in from every nook and cranny, stoking the flame ever higher. In a matter of moments, the brick tower has effectively become a blast furnace, or the inspirator on a bunsen burner.

Jim isn't aware of any of this, of course. But the look on his face from the unexpectedly-powerful fire move is priceless joy.

Lotty, meanwhile, builds up her best flop, and launches herself into the air, directly at the Butterfree above. As she heads towards her target, her body is suddenly surrounded by a sizable quantity of water.

Eli uses [Phasing] to leap right into the [Tower Interior] and begin a [Fiery Dance]! Lotty leaps [Airborne] to launch a [Drench] attack at the Butterfree, then falls back to the [Tower Surroundings]!
    So uhh... I'm not going to say I should get a massive bonus to Eli's attack from using SCIENCE and all that, but, you know, I should definitely get a huge bonus to Eli's attack due to SCIENCE :P . I am also assuming that any Pokemon is capable of "Jumping" into the air to attack Butterfree. I checked the Assists and didn't see a [Jump] so I assumed it was inherent. I'm guessing it works the way I wrote: Lotty leaps into the air to attack as her "shift," makes the attack, and then is automatically shifted back to the ground afterwards.

Anyway, in regards to that massive bonus... I'm thinking, maybe the tower is SUPERHEATED and deals damage to any non-heat resistant Pokemon (AKA any Pokemon that's not Fire type or resistant to Fire) that ends its turn on Tower Top or Tower Interior. I would also accept double damage or doubled effect for Eli's Fiery Dance.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    ~Santalune Gym~
    ~Time: Noon~

Gym Intro! :whistle:

After the short recess after Jim's fateful match, the Arena has once again been readied, with its guardian Gym Leader in attendance for the next challenger. Returning to the main arena, though as a challenger rather than a spectator this time, Bea finds her entrance just as dazzling as her comrades, even more so now that she's the one in the spotlights, being addressed by the cheers of a warmed-up crowd.

"From distant Unova! The one! The only!"

"Beatrix! Spencer!"

As before, the Gym Leader himself, Samuel. Awaits in his booth above the field. In the interim between matches, the field has been transformed from a single tower to several, blocky looking abodes, topped with steep roofs. Something out of a kung fu film nearly, it seems like much of the battle will be happening in between leaps and bounds, which might give Moriarty a helping hand in the battle to come.

Wow, Beatrix thought to herself. I’m starting to have second thoughts about this. Maybe there’s time to reschedule sometime tonight, or maybe early the next morning when there’s less of a crowd? And would it kill them to maybe at least dim the lights? How's a person to see with lights this bright?

NO! Her inner voice booms, as it stomps it’s metaphorical foot down. Beatrix Irene Spencer, you are NOT gonna quit this early in your journey just because you got Butterfrees in your stomach! Girl up! You made a promise, and by the Tao Trio themselves, you are going to see this through!

She looks back at the crowd. Although… I gotta admit... I DO lack the confidence Jim has. Then again, what would Jim do? Or rather, what DID he do? Hmmm…

She dons her sunglasses.

If I can’t make it, I can at least surely fake it, she thought to herself. Gotta make it cool enough, I guess. If it works for someone like Elesa, I don’t see why I can’t? And hey, sunglasses mean those spotlights won't bother me at all!

(Use a Network token to at least look confident enough.)

She struts in, with Moriarty and Vance in tow. She makes it to the platform, waving at the crowd of onlookers. Moriarty does the same, since he was craving for this kind of attention. Vance was merely indifferent, trying to avoid getting distracted and focused on the fight ahead.

“Heya Kalos! Beatrix Spencer here… Flew all the way from good old ‘nova, and BOY, are my arms tired! Good to be here!” she reiterates her greeting from days earlier.

When the platform reaches the top, she looks back at the Gym leader. Offering a courteous bow, her two mons drop and land (safely) onto the field.
    <Marsh-PC> (UGH)
    <TiamatZ> (Well, a social person she ain’t. She prefers to do her work without the gawking of a crowd.)
    <Marsh-PC> (that joke though)
    <TiamatZ> (This IS from the same person who admitted Jim's 'jim battle' quip was clever)

Audible groans could be heard from the audience. Welp, can’t win them all.

"Ready when you are... Mr. Samuel?" she asks, stifling a slight stutter.

"As the Santalune Gym Leader, I respect your courage, and tenacity," Samuel replies in low tones, that boom commandingly throughout the arena with the aid of the speakers. Bowing politely, he continues.

"Show me the bond that exists between you and your Pokémon, and the might and skill you will continue to hone in your League Challenge, and I will surrender the Bug Badge as evidence of your accomplishment."

Raising his arms to release a pair of Pokeballs into the field, a red-with-black-beetle and a purple ball of fur with large, red eyes emerge in twin flashes of red light.

[Gym Leader Samuel sent out Ledyba! Venonat!]

Gym rules:
    Arenas:
    • Airborne: accessed via Flight or (temporarily) by Jumping
    • Rooftop: Steadied (perched somewhere, or clinging to the edge of a roof) & Sliding (sliding down the side, shift to Fallen if you remain on Sliding for more than a turn) & Fallen (fall and hit the unseen streets below).
    • Streets: ground level, unseen.

Team Beatrix Placement:
    <TiamatZ> Hmm, think I'll have Moriarty start Airborne [having Fly as an Assist], and Vance on Steadied [atop a roof]

Let the battle begin! :whistle:

Immediately after release, the shiny shell of the Ledyba clicks open to reveal its fragile wings, which instantly blur into motion as they allow the Early Bird Pokemon to hover above the rooftop arena.

The Venonat, not blessed with wings, scrambles up the steep side of a nearby rooftop, reaching the apex and clinging tightly with its claws as it subjects its two opponents to its inscrutable, uncanny gaze.

Round 1:
    Moriarty [Airborne] [ |||||||| ]
    Ledyba [Airborne] [ ||||||||| ]
    Vance [Rooftop:Steadied] [ |||||||| ]
    Venonat [Rooftop:Steadied] [ |||||||||| ]

“Oh…uhh… well… of course!”
    Beatrix stammers. She looks at her hand, before clenching it into a fist, “Alright team! Let’s… Let’s do this!”

She points a finger towards the strange black and red beetle. “Moriarty, use Steel Wing to err… ‘steel’ yourself from the bug’s offense.” She assures herself that the flying bug Pokemon won’t be much of a threat once the Murkrow establishes himself as the dominant force in his element. She looks back at the purple fuzz ball. Not really sure what that is, she thought to herself.

(Use a Knowledge token to scan the Venonat)

Skimming through the data on any useful information (via her PokeDex), she orders the Pancham. “Ok Vance, stay frosty. Looks Like that purple bug… thing has the high ground here, let’s quickly remedy that situation. Make your way to him, and if he does something suspicious... show him how tough you are with a Bulk Up!”

(Moriarty uses Steel Wing on Ledyba; Vance makes his way the Venonat and delays a Bulk Up should the Venonat do something)

Still the king of Speed, Moriarty has no trouble making the first move, using his newly acquired TM Move to harden his wings, and slashing at the hovering Ledyba loitering in his airspace.

[Moriarty used Steel Wing! Ledyba took 1 damage! Moriarity's Defense rose (+1)!]

"Ledyba, counter physical attacks with your Reflect!" Samuel commands, and the Bug Type calls up a flickering shield of light to protect it from further attacks.

[Ledyba used Reflect! Ledyba's Defense Sharply rose (+2)!]

Ditching his precarious perch, Vance slaloms down the roof on rapidly pattering paws, leaping at the last moment to cross the dark crevice below and maintain speed for the uphill climb to the next place to hold out.

The Venonat seems to have a bit of a knack for this kind of movement as well, matching the Pancham's approaching movements with careful leaps and clambering of its own.

Each well aware of the steep slopes and long drop below, the two circle as carefully and quickly as they are capable of, until the Venonat appears to deem its most recent grip close and safe enough to risk the first strike across its opponents bows.

With a shiver of its fur and antennae, it lets out a high-pitched, wavering squeal across the rooftop, Vance wincing as he attempts to use his one free arm and a shoulder to plug his rounded ears.

To no avail however, as the discombobulating noise breaks on the Playful Pokemon's mind like waves on a beach, distracting his focus and dampening his reflexes.

[Venonat used Supersonic! Vance took 3 damage! Vance's Special Defense fell (-1)]

Struggling to tough it out, Vance takes advantage of his nearly paralyzed state, clinging to the rooftop while subjected to the horrible tuneless sound, to retreat into his latest training, focusing his mind on stiffening his body and finding his center rather than on his opponents wailing.

[Vance used Bulk Up! Vance's HP Sharply rose (+2HP/+2 Stamina)]

The Dex whirrs and buzzes with new information:

[This Venonat is a Bug/Psychic Type. Venonats are nocturnal Pokemon with sensitive eyes. They have roughly balanced stats, with a slight tendency towards Phsyical damage and Special Defense, though many Trainers find them capable Special Attackers in a pinch. Their most common use is as a supporting Pokemon that finds its niche with useful Assists and Status Moves that can cripple enemies.]

[End of round 1]

Round 2:
    Moriarty [Airborne] [ |||||||| ] (+1 DEF)
    Ledyba [Airborne] [ ||||||||| ] (+2 DEF)
    Vance [Rooftop:Steadied] [ |||||||||| ] (-1 SP DEF; +2 STAM)
    Venonat [Rooftop:Steadied] [ |||||||||| ]

That beetle Pokemon was getting stronger. The shield alone (as well as hearing Samuel’s barked orders) meant fighting it now would just be a waste of time, and after seeing what that insect crescendo did to Vance, she was not eager to keep that fuzz ball active in battle any sooner. As if to reinforce that notion, the Dex managed to identify the Venonat as a support attacker. This meant that not only was beetle was the defensive ‘mon in this fight, but that the Venonat's specialty was in... well... special attacks...

Which meant Vance had the disadvantage here.

In addition, if the Ledyba kept Moriarty distracted long enough, Vance would get overrun by the Venonat, and leaving the Murkrow’s flank exposed for a pincer strike. She looks back at the two pint sized 'mons preparing to duke it out on the rooftop, like some bad action 80’s movie. She noticed where the two were standing, and a plan was forming in her mind.

A grin was forming on her lips.

“Alright Moriarty, listen up! That bug in the air is taking you for a sucker! I got an idea! Vance managed to set up an opportunity for us! Now let’s exploit it!”

She looks back at Vance. “Vance, time for those trust lessons to pay off! Arm Thrust that Venonat onto the sliding roof!” She looks back at Moriarty. “When I give the signal, use Peck, and drive that Bug type off the roof! We’ll let the Law of Gravity do the rest!”

(Vance uses Arm thrust on Venonat, pushing both to Sliding! Moriarty prepares and uses Peck on Venonat to push him to Falling)

While Moriarty stalls for time for Vance to act, Samuel calls out to his Pokemon.

"Ledyba, go on the offensive with your Silver Wind! Venonat! Use your Confusion!"
    <TiamatZ> Wait whut?! Confusion?! Oh NOOOOO! *jojoface.jpg*

The shielded beetle summons up a glittering powder that it wafts in a cloud towards the awaiting Murkrow, the fragments clinging and stinging slightly. The remainder of the substances adheres to the slightly wounded Ledyba, soothing the damage it suffered from Moriarty's Steel Wing.

[Ledyba used Silver Wind! Moriarty took 2 Damage! Ledyba healed 1 Stamina!]

As the venonat's supersonic peters out, Vance is more than ready to stop anything like that from happening a second time. Responding to Bea's instructions, he recklessly launches himself across the rooftop, losing his footing at the same time that he pummels the Venonat with a series of blows, knocking his rival Bug Type loose from its perch as well, the two tumble downwards, clawing for a handhold, or to simply slow their approach towards the edge.

[Vance used Arm Thrust! Venonat took 1 Damage! It's NVE... Both shifted to Sliding!]

Despite their shared predicament, the Venonat's oversized eyes lock onto their target, easily tracking the tumbling Pancham with their acuity, digging its claws in to steady itself, its red orbs begin to glow as it calls up a Psychic assault...

"Now!" Bea shouts.

Flipping head down and tucking his wings, Moriarty plummets out the bottom of the cloud of silver dust like a comet. Not bothering to open them even as he skims down the sheer side of the rooftop, the Murkrow builds up as much speed as he can before smashing, beak-first, into his distracted target.

[Moriarty used Peck! Venonat took 6 damage]
    <Marsh-PC> (I love how there's no randomness, I know the stats involved, I picked the weaks/resists)
    <Marsh-PC> (And shit goes down and my jaw still drops when the damage hits, goddamn)
    <TiamatZ> (That's my Moriarty, he knows where to hit em, and hit em hard)
    <TiamatZ> (Of course, its balanced out that he's a very squishy target)

Struck unawares and sent spinning down at a speed not even the sturdiest handhold could stop, the Venonat spill over the edge of the rooftop, disappearing into the darkness below as the crowd 'oohs' loudly from the stands.

"Oh my" Bea gasps. "I hope the little tyke is alright.."

Moments later, the Junior Detective's fears are assuaged as the Venonat laboriously claws its way back onto the roof opposite, apparently having caught itself on the way down. Keeping a firm foot on the gutter, it defiantly shakes a tiny claw in Moriarty's direction.

Moriarty takes the shaking fist in stride. He caws:
    64px-BT198.png Good, just where yous belong. On the ground. In the doirt. Bug type. Heh.

[End of round 2]

Round 3:
    Moriarty [Falling] [ |||||||| ] (+1 DEF)
    Ledyba [Airborne] [ ||||||||| ] (+2 DEF)
    Vance [Rooftop:Sliding] [ |||||||||| ] (-1 SP DEF; +2 STAM)
    Venonat [Rooftop:Falling] [ |||||||||| ]

"Alright Moriarty, don't rest on your laurels just yet. Take the Venonat down a peg... or two. Peck him off and let's focus on his friend afterwards. Vance, Bulk up again, and get back on the roof ASAP! We don’t want what happened to the Venonat become your fate as well." As haughty as he is, Moriarty prepares another Peck, wanting to finish this... gnat once and for all.

He still has a score to settle with the beetle above, after all. And a flying bug sharing HIS space? well... that's just not Kriketune...

(Moriarty uses peck on Venonat, Vance goes back to Steadied, and uses Bulk Up)
    <TiamatZ> (much as its overkill, that Nat scares me with dem psychic moves)
    <TiamatZ> (the psychic gym is going to be... wonderful *cringes*)
    <Marsh-PC> (Yeah, it already did a number on Vance, no need to play nice)
    <TiamatZ> (what would have been the damage had Confusion hit?)
    <Marsh-PC> (5 I think? +2 damage from having STAB and the -1 SD on Vance)
    <TiamatZ> D:

"Ledyba, get ready with another Reflect. Venonat... Try to Disable." Samuel orders, though with a more a weary (but optimistic) tone towards Venonat.

Eager to finish his foe, Moriarty flits out of his fall with ease, skipping over the ledge to dive at the Venonat. While the Insect Pokemon attempts to stifle the Murkrow's attack, Moriarty's superior speed leaves them no chance.

[Moriarty used Peck! Venonat took 6 damage! Venonat fainted!]

"You did well, rest," Samuel calls, recalling the senseless Venonat before it can once more tumble off the roof.

Moriarty caws in victory, it tries to do a little victory jig, before realizing he's flying.
    64px-BT198.png So long an' good riddance...

Still hovering above, distant from the chaos and carnage below, the Ledyba reinforces its shield with another shot of juice, redoubling its protective powers.

[Ledyba used Reflect! Ledyba's Defense was Maxed Out (+4)!]

Vance, meanwhile, redoubles his own efforts, bulking himself and making himself tougher in the process.

[Vance used Bulk Up! Vance's HP was Maxed Out (+2 Stamina, +4 HP)!]

[End of round 3]

<<To Be Continued>>

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    << And now for the epic conclusion>>

Round 4:
    Moriarty [Falling] [ |||||||| ] (+1 DEF)
    Ledyba [Airborne] [ ||||||||| ] (+4 DEF)
    Vance [Rooftop:Steadied] [ |||||||||||| ] (-1 SP DEF; +4 HP)
    Venonat [Fainted] [ |||||||||| ]

"Alright guys! One down, one more to go! Time to work as a team... err... once more!" Bea was all excited. "Moriarty, push the Ladyba back to Vance with a well-positioned Peck. Vance, you show him a good Leer now."

(Moriarty uses Peck to push the target to Rooftop:Steadied, Vance uses Leer)

"Ledyba! It's all up to you! Silver Wind on the Murkrow!"

Flapping back up into the air, Moriarty punishes his erstwhile rival's aerial complacency by smashing the hovering beetle roof-wards with a peck of their beak.

[Moriarty used Peck! Ledyba took 1 damage! Ledyba was shifted to Steadied!]

In full 'mayday, mayday' mode, the Ledyba makes a controlled crash into the side of a rooftop, using its insectile legs and a flew buzzes of its wings to keep it steady against the slope. Realizing the Murkrow is too far away now to attack, it throws an apologetic glance towards its trainer and instead blows a silvery dusting over itself and the nearby Vance, who sniffles and manages to suppress a sneeze as the Ledyba heals its minor bruises.

[Ledyba used Silver Wind! Vance took 1 damage! It's NVE... Ledyba gained 1 Stamina!]

The glittery dusting does little to make the Pancham's response any less harrowing, the pandalike Pokemon giving a dour glaring that would be the pride of any glamor queen you care to name. Even behind its many layers of protection, the Ledyba can't help but take a precarious step back.

[Vance used Leer! Ledyba's Defense Sharply fell (+2)!]

[End of round 4]

Round 5:
    Ledyba [Rooftop:Steadied] [ |||||||| ] (+2 DEF)
    Vance [Rooftop:Steadied] [ |||||||||||| ] (-1 SP DEF, +4 HP)

"Moriarty, try and peck him before he can use another one of those Silver Winds, if your quick enough, you should be able to avoid that attack. Vance, give em another Leer. We need to weaken his resolve!"

(Moriarty uses Peck, Vance uses Leer)

"Ledyba, use your Supersonic against the Pancham! Weaken him for your Silver Wind!"

Moriarty wings in for another jab at the Ledyba, sending it careening, but with a buzz of its wings it rights itself once more, little the worse for wear.

[Moriarty used Peck! Ledyba took 1 damage!]

Opening its mouth, Vance shivers in recollection as he once again experiences the awful screeching of a Supersonic assault! Somewhat(?) fortunately, the noise this Bug Type is making is less painful, and more generally nauseating. It's not going to put him out of the fight, but he's going to need some aspirin after this match.

[Ledyba used Supersonic! Vance's Special Defense Sharply fell (-2)!]
    <Marsh-PC> (I shoulda just gone for the attacking version here, probably would've ended the battle in my favor)

Even if a bit cross-eyed and wobbly at this point, Vance can still level a stare to be reckoned with, and he lets the Ledyba know it.

[Vance used Leer! Ledyba's Defense Sharply Fell (+0)!]

[End of round 5]

Round 6:
    Ledyba [Rooftop:Steadied] [ |||||||| ]
    Vance [Rooftop:Steadied] [ |||||||||||| ] (-2 SP DEF; +4 HP)

Beatrix realized her current strategy was NOT working. Vance's psyche was being torn apart by all these sonic attacks, and Moriarty wasn't doing much to hamper him. "Alright, new plan. Moriarty, use Pursuit and back off for a bit. Vance, I know you’re in pain here, but we're close to finishing this match and besting our first gym leader! Hold on tight, and use another Leer. Hang in there!"

WEVJj5B.gif Voltage Spent!
    (Moriarty uses Pursuit and moves back into the air; Vance uses Leer. 1 Voltage to give Vance +1 SP DEF for the rest of the fight)

With a quick look of concern at his ally, Moriarty makes a pursuing charge at the Ledyba, the speed of his pounce carrying him far above after the impact.
    64px-BT198.png Hey now! Bug off, ya gnat-wit! If anyone's gonna pick on my subordinates, is gunna be me, capiche..?!

[Moriarty used Pursuit! Ledyba took 1 damage! Moriarty shifted Airborne!]

"Now that it's weakened, Ledyba! Your Silver Wind!"

Shaking loose another storm of scales at the confuzzled Pancham, the silvery motes settle on the two Pokemon and across the roof, making the scene rather festive, in a way.

[Ledyba used Silver Wind! Vance took 2 damage! Attack was NVE! Ledyba healed 1 Stamina!]

Having possibly the worst day of his life (thus far), Vance takes what heart he can from his trainer's encouragement and dutifully powers through his confusion to give that Ledyba the ocular what-for.

[Vance used Leer! Ledyba's Defense Sharply dropped (-2)!]

[End of round 6]

Round 7:
    Ledyba [Rooftop:Steadied] [ |||||||| ] (-2 DEF)
    Vance [Rooftop:Steadied] [ |||||||||||| ] (-1 SP DEF; +4 HP)

"Alright team!" Bea announces. "This has been a tough... arduous fight. Make no mistake. But let's finally wrap this up and squash this bug! Moriarty, use Peck! Vance, now's your time to shine! Take all of that confusion from the sonic attacks, harness that rage, and unleash it all out with a Crush Claw!"

WEVJj5B.gif Voltage Spent!
    (Voltage: +2 attack to Vance this round! Moriarty uses Peck! Vance uses Finisher Move: Crush Claw!)

Circling overhead like a vulture, at Beatrix's call Moriarty gives a caw and descends once more from sky's height to peck at thee; for spite's sake throw his last beak at thee.

[Moriarty used Peck! Ledyba took 3 damage!]

"We have to keep its defenses low, more Supersonic!" Samuel calls out. Bea hears Vance audibly groan, even from her perch in the trainer's box above.

Bea groans as well. This fight has been quite taxing to her. Mostly because of her constantly being concerned for her team mates.

The Ledyba once again begins giving off that interminable noise. Vance has had enough.

[Ledyba used Supersonic! Vance's Special Defense Sharply dropped (-2)!]

Laboriously stalking across the rooftop after the backwards-retreating Ledyba, ears flicking against the racket, rear claws digging into the rooftiles, Vance reaches out and seizes the Bug Type in his claws, the both of them slipping and sliding in a scuffle down the side of the rooftop.

The two slip over the side, and all that can be seen is a single paw, clinging to the edge.

The hall was silent. The spectators watched with mute silence…

Was he going to make it?

With his other paw, Vance slings the unconscious Ledyba back onto the roof, pulling himself up to sit on the ledge as Samuel returns the defeated Pokemon. He coughs up a small silver cloud, and gives Bea a very, very exhausted thumbs up.

[Vance used Crush Claw! Ledyba took 7 Damage!]

[Ledyba... was Finished! +1 Exp to Vance]

[End of round 7]

The battle is won! :whistle:

"We haaaave a winner!" the announcer yells over the roar of the crowd. "With two Pokemon remaining to Gym Leader Samuel's zero! Beatrix has won the match!"

Though Beatrix's body felt rigid like steel, her muscles felt like jelly. Whether it was elation or exhaustion, the young lady fell to her knees. Before anyone could offer her assistance, she merely looks up, and gives a belated "V" with her fingers. V... for Victory!

Moriarty lands on the nearest rooftop, waving and eliciting cheers from the crowd.

64px-BT198.pngCome on kid, we did it! Hate to break it, but... I think ya deserve some praise for this fight.

64px-BT674.png Wow... Rea...really?

64px-BT198.png Yeah...sure. Get ovah 'ere!

*Both Pokemon share the spotlight*

*Twenty seconds later*

64px-BT198.png Alrightalrightalright kid, show's over! Don't let it get to yah 'ead! Scram!

*Moriarty shoos Vance*

As the cheering fades (and the Pokemon returned), Samuel inclines his head graceful from his booth opposite.

"With courage and tenacity you challenged me, and with that same courage and tenacity, I was defeated." He bows, ever so slightly deeper than the one before the battle.

"I thank you for sharing the bond between you and your Pokémon. You have proven yourself a capable trainer, and your Pokémon to be students without peer. With great honor, I ask you to accept the Santalune Gym's Bug Badge as a token of my esteem, and of your value to the Pokémon League."

Reaching forward to press something in front of him, a panel on the booth in front of Beatrix opens smoothly, to reveal a small display with a metal emblem within, the silver and green Bug Badge.

Obtained the Bug Badge! :whistle:
    Bug_Badge.png

"Oh, I didn't do much. It's thanks to my team that we won." She releases her two mons from their balls. "Without these guys, this wouldn't be possible. Moriarty, you did great in that fight." The crow swells with pride. "But the real MVP of this fight was you Vance! You did good kid. You did good." She ruffles his hair with her hands, resulting in a grunt from the Playful Pokemon. She makes her way to Samuel. She bows respectfully.

"Thanks, Mr. Samuel. WE accept this badge." She nods back to her team. "Oh, that reminds me..."

She pulls out a few toffees from her pockets. "For your team. They certainly gave us a run for our money... er... figuratively speaking, of course. But in all seriousness, we will carry this badge with pride."

"Please do, and thank you for the... candy?" Samuel replies (or asks) solemnly, though it was purely a rhetorical question by this point.

"Your welcome!" she smiles. Where she suddenly got this perky energy is anyone's guess.

"If possible, could we share numbers? I'm sure Kalos has a wide variety of Bug types that are just waiting to be found and trained. And who better to call guidance on than an expert on bug types."

That actually manages to put the man off balance for the first time since she laid eyes on him.

"I suppose I could do that, in regards of your spectacular initial showing," he agrees, making it politely but firmly clear this is a privilege he hopes is not abused.
    <TiamatZ> (gonna invite all the gym leaders for a slumber party once I become Champion)

"Also, please accept this TM as a personal thanks for the exciting battle. It is TM 21, and allows you to teach your Pokemon Focus Style Moves. The Focus Style allows a Pokemon to prepare themselves for a devastating move on their following turn. I hope you find it useful." He pulls out a device similar to the machines Prof. Sycamore gave them a few days ago.

"If you would forgive me, I would speak further, but I of course have another battle to prepare for. And I'm sure you wish to tend to your Pokémon and plan the next step of your journey. I will of course follow your Kalos Challenge with interest."

"Thank you, Mr. Samuel." Before she leaves, she remembers. "Ah yes, that reminds me. You fight a lot like Burgh. Using the potential of a type many consider to be inferior or weak. Bring out the best of them. It never ceases to amaze me just how potent bug types are."

"Then again, we had a Champion who used bug types as well..."

With Moriarty perched and Vance in tow, the team leaves the gym, hoping to find a nice, quiet place to relax... maybe a residential park?

The plot thickens! :whistle:

As the Leader and Detective both turn to go their separate ways...

...for just an instant...
    petite, fair complexion...

...Bea sees...
    auburn hair in bob cut…

...Her...
    dressed in a white shirt…

...Push out of the surrounding crowd. Her eyes watching the Santalune Gym Leader like a hawk as he walks towards the right side of the arena...
    dark jacket …

...And then she's gone, back into the crowd...
    and dark slacks…

That was Shirley.

Gym Battle Results:
    Beatrix:
    Tokens Spent:
    - 1 Network Token
    - 1 Knowledge Token
    - 2 Voltage

Moriarty earns 10 exp.
    Vance earns 11 exp.

The Bug Badge allows:
    - 1 Pokemon Ability
    - 1 additional Voltage (Invests in one Network Token, increasing it to 2)
    - TM 21 (Focus Style Moves)

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    ~ Santalune Gym Battle: Day 2~

It was very intimidating up here.
    Richter's hands fidget in his coat pockets as the booth slowly ascends to its apex.
    A nervous glance around the arena noted that waaaaayy too many people had stuck around after Jim's game.
    Richter was suddenly very conscious of every stain on his dull lab coat.
    Perhaps he should've washed it before the fight.
    Like at some point.
    Ever.
    Aside from in the rain.

Richter is roused by a tapping at his foot.
    North is halfway out of the cage, looking somewhat concerned.
    The concern turns into a warm smile and a thumbs up.
    There is then a slight pinging, as North uses Electroplate briefly, and the cross-bar over his head bends.
    North then relaxes, letting out his breath and letting the bar snap back into place.
    Another wink and another thumbs up, and North is over the edge, climbing quickly down the metal surface.

Richter closes his eyes, breathes in deeply, and exhales.
    Popping his collar of his lab coat into place, he opens one eye and looks over at Keyanu.
    "I don't suppose you have any sage advice too?"
    Keyanu stops his angry pinwheel buzzing to consider the question.
    His shiny new purple ornaments clink together as his adornments have a chance to settle.
    The floating ring comes to a conclusion.
    With a resounding "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......", Keyanu spins forward into the arena, hastily overtaking North, and seeking his first opponent.

Richter smiles.
    "All right then, North, Keyanu, let's show them what we can do!"
    After all, isn't that what this is about?
    You hypothesize, and then you test it.
    And then when you test, you learn something.

Richter briefly tries to tame his shock of hair.
    "Well then. We're ready!"

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    ~ Santalune Arena (Santalune Gym (Back in Time) ) ~

The Sinnoh youth smiles his thanks, but looks vaguely confused. He was sure he was the one offering help and advice, but...

After Samantha leaves, he hastens out to have Volnoy seen to at the Pokécenter, but not before thanking the small crowd cheering him on, exchanging Pokétch numbers, and the like. He's polite, and grateful for the praise after a difficult battle.

Once his Buizel is seen to and healthy, he checks the time. There's a couple of hours before his meeting with the gym leader, so he grabs some lunch and returns to the gym for some training time. All three of his 'mons are released from their balls, as he starts to direct them to train, and practice, but not before he applies some TMs to Borzoi and Sila.

Borzoi learned Snarl! [Physical/Dark/Harass (Sp.Atk)] Aleksandr spent 1 Trainer XP! (6 Remain)

Sila learned Shadow Claw! [Physical/Ghost/Powerful] Aleksandr spent 1 Trainer XP! (5 Remain)

He instructs Volnoy to toughen his limbs and work on his speed at one of the training dummies, confident that the Buizel knows what he's doing. Repeated forearm strikes thud against the wooden Substitute over and over with increasing speed, as Aleks' main 'mon goes to work on it.

Volnoy gained Speed 4! Volnoy spent 4 XP! (3 Remain)

Volnoy gained Defence 2! Volnoy spent 2 XP! (1 Remains)

The Ace Trainer then turns his attention to Sila and Borzoi.

"Sila, Borzoi here needs to work on her defense, while you need to improve your strength. I would like you to use your Quick Attack against her, while she attempts to weather the blows," he explains, while reaching out a hand to rub Borzoi between the ears. "Borzoi, do not try to dodge. Shift your body to let the blows slide off, if you can. Quick Attack should not to do much damage to you, and it would give you the ability to work on defenses while Sila improves their already considerable attack." He continues to explain his reasoning, and guides them along as they work together. Sila, of course, takes things extremely seriously. Borzoi on the other hand, is having far too much fun. But to her credit, she focuses on her Trainer's instruction, and makes a certain amount of progress in her attempts to roll with the Not Very Effective blows.

Borzoi gained Special Defense 2! Aleksandr spent 2 Trainer XP! (3 Remain)

Sila gained Attack 3! Aleksandr spent 3 Trainer XP! (0 Remain)

As the hour approaches, Aleksandr moves from the practicing duo, to the solo Buizel. He nods his head. "It is time to challenge the Gym," he states.
    I straight up don't recall why I bought that Sludge Bomb TM. Maybe it was for one of Tommy's?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    I straight up don't recall why I bought that Sludge Bomb TM. Maybe it was for one of Tommy's?
    Probably Tommy's Exeggcute.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    you're too sweet

I promise I'll have a post up in the coming days you guys

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    No worries, Tommy. I'm trying to be more available (for everyone, not just you) in irc in the mornings, so even if it's last minute I can wrap up a battle or something in an hour or two (or four if it turns into a grindfest, gonna try to avoid those). Things can also be sped up by taking Kay's earlier tack of giving out two turns worth of orders per post.

Scheduling ahead a day or two does help for live stuff, as does simply bugging me a lot. I don't mind being bugged for posts/chats, and it probably helps me be more productive.

Terr's got his Gym match finished, so its just Disc, Kay, and Tommy (we can maybe try and schedule a long irc chat where we get your Gym Student and Leader battles done in one session, Tommy, if you're down for that).

As Tiamat revealed, your first Gym Badge gets you a slew of benefits. You get TM access to Focus Style, another Voltage or Trait Rank, and most importantly, a Pokemon Ability.

For the ability, you choose one Pokemon, and it gets an Ability that we get to make up, often taking inspiration from the in-game ones - you can see several examples near the bottom of the Voltage Rules Page and several experimental (or outright bonkers broken) ones in the GM Sanctum.

Feel free to start thinking about what kind of Ability you might choose, and for which Pokemon. Power-wise, I shoot for something like getting the additional effect of 1-3 Moves over the course of a battle (less if it's very easy to trigger, more if it's difficult to trigger). Also feel free to make something weird or creative, since an Ability that is particularly iconic to the personality of the Pokemon in question can be like a second Quirk, or even an Assist.

EDIT:
    Kay, wtf is a "[Physical/Ghost/Powerful (Sp.Atk)]" Move? (Sila's Shadow Claw)

EDIT2:
    Also don't forget that when you spend Trainer Exp on a Pokemon, it increases their spent Exp. So if a Pokemon is 0/15, and you use 1 Trainer Exp to teach them a new Move, their Exp should then be 0/16.

EDIT3: That means Sila is now 0/19 and Borzoi is 0/23.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Marsh, if you have to ASK, then you don't deserve to know.

...I most likely copied the formatting and forgot to delete the harassing part - see Snarl directly beforehand. AMENDING.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Marsh you are the dictionary example of a gentleman

Any chance I could crash the IRC Thursday/Friday morning if you're avalible? Having gotten my bill in for the first half of the month, I should generally be avalible all this week as long as I can wake up in this god forsaken heat wave that's happening here

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    <_<
    How are you guys IRCing?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    <_<
    How are you guys IRCing?
    Not a bad question! It's an old holdover from the last couple Pokémon games marsh has run--on mibbit there is a channel called #voltage where marsh and (sometimes others!) typically hangs out in the mornings (PST, not sure what time zone you're in)

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    W/ marsh's permission, I'll throw the link in the wiki tomorrow to the irc on our page for anyone that might need it

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    <_<
    How are you guys IRCing?
    Rizon's also a good one to use. Link

Just type in your nickname, and #voltage under Channels. After that, you're good to go.

It doesn't have a chat archive though (at least, not any I know of)

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    She couldn’t believe it. Not only did she discover her target. The fact she was here at the gym was all the evidence Beatrix needed to confirm that she was indeed in town!

Might want to avoid her as much as possible… however…

Gears were grinding within her mind.

Beatrix reminded herself that she was still short of ‘the card’, the last piece of proof in her investigations under Director Emma's request. Obtaining even a copy of it for Emma would allow them to determine IF Shirley was a supposed agent of Interpol, or just someone impersonating one. Sure, she COULD go devise some clever scheme to persuade the clerk to hand over the evidence. But an Interpol agent would carry duplicates… and there WAS a ‘theoretical’ agent in the vicinity. It was certainly the more risky venture. But then again, luck does indeed favor the bold.

Vance was tucked comfortably within his Pokéball. She believed the little tyke deserved some well-deserved rest and relaxation after that fight.

“What do you think, Moriarty?” she asks the Murkrow. Not having the ability of mind reading, the Darkness Pokémon merely looks at the young detective quizzically, before stifling a crowing yawn.

Yeah, figured as much. Maybe I should first question some witnesses around here first. That way, if we’re caught, we can at least improvise with what we got.

Something else was bothering her though.

The way the Officer was watching the Gym Leader throughout their whole exchange. Her eyes was trained at the bug using battler, even after their parting. What was her beef with him? Was it because he was an outsider? Or was there something else Bea just didn’t know about?

What secrets are you hiding, Shirley?

Shrugging, she pulls out her notepad and makes her way to the nearby rooms, all the while writing:

“On this momentous day, our heroine had grappled the kinetic kuge of gnarly gnats and latent ladybugs. His reign was brought to an end… toppled from the rooftops his minions had overseen; with the faceless masses cheering and free from his invertebrate tyranny. Having been granted many a boon from his defeat, our heroine could not rest on her laurels. There was still another prowling within her midst. The specter was close by, and our heroine’s time was running out. With nothing but the sounds of insects guiding her way, she continues on with her journey. Perhaps the wisdom of crickets might guide her to her answers?”

She stops at the entrance of the amphitheater though, before turning around. Whoever goes against Samuel next... sorry if I wasn't there to cheer you on. She shoots out a thumbs up at the stage. Good luck, whoever you are!

Everyone else merely looks at the strange lady giving a thumbs up in the air for no apparent reason.

Didn't matter to Bea; she merely smiles.

TiamatZ on
  • Options

Battle begin! :whistle:

"Butterfree, use your gust attack from the air," Samuel commands. "Joltik, use your string shot to take the high ground!"

Lightning fast, the Joltik reacts instantly after being given its order, a yellow speck darting from the window of the tower and sending out a line that sends it swinging past Elijah, the Bug Type giving the Litwick a smack with its miniscule claws as it shoots past, ending its circuitous journey by neatly clinging at the peak of the tower.

[Joltik used String Shot! Elijah took 2 damage! Joltik shifted to Tower Top!]

Thoroughly cheesed off by the lightning-quick reflexes of the tiny mite, Eli responds by phasing into the tower and beginning his deadly dance, lighting the interior up like a lamp as his purple flames twist and flare brighter, and drawing several 'oohs' and 'aahs' from the audience.

[Eli used Fiery Dance! Joltik took 5 damage! It's Super Effective! Eli's Special Attack rose (+1)!]

Meanwhile, Lotty soars into the air as a watery self-projectile, leaving the bug-type damp and bedraggled as the Feebas flops back to the ground.

[Lotty used Drench! Butterfree took 2 damage! Butterfree's Defense fell (-1)!]

Taking aim at the troublesome fish, the airborne Butterfree shakes a few drops of water from its wings and swings them like this and like that, and a powerful gust of air is sent spinning towards Lotty, sending her spinning across the rough arena floor.

[Butterfree used Gust! Lotty took 3 damage! Its Super Effective!]

[End of Round 1]
    Eli - 6/8, +1 SA, [Tower Interior]
    Lotty - 3/6, [Tower Surroundings]
    Butterfree - 6/8, -1 Df, [Airborne]
    Joltik - 3/8, [Tower Top]

Jim clenches his fists. Eli shook off that pest's attack easily enough, but Lotty's type disadvantages were evident. As tanky as she is, one more hit like that is all it would take to bring her out of the fight. She just can't repel Flyer-power of that magnitude! He takes a second for a deep breath, then calls out his next commands. From the peak of the damaged tower, Eli could hit that Butterfree without interference, but on the other hand there's no guarantee he could finish it off in one attack. At least the Butterfree wouldn't be inside the tower, it'd be tough to hit in there... of course! "Nice work, Eli! Now follow that..." he glances down at his Pokedex, where basic information on his opponent's Pokemon has come up. "That... Joltik, up to the top of the tower, then finish it off while boosting your flames to the absolute max! Lotty! Shake it off! I have faith in you! Hit that Butterfree again with a Flail and try to fall back down into the tower so you'll have cover from the next attack!"

Samuel maintains absolute calm while giving his orders. "Joltik, use a Signal Beam to ward off that Ghost! Butterfree, another Gust should finish that Feebas off!"

Taking advantage of its superior perch, the Joltik charges up and deploys an unusual beam of sinister light, focusing it into the hollow interior of the tower and at its spectral foe, the glow of the crackling beam spewing out the windows competing with the lingering flames of Eli's dance.

[Joltik used Signal Beam! Eli took 3 damage!]

Eli climbs the tower, continuing his flaming twirls. The structure begins to rumble as the brickwork struggles against the cataclysmic heat, the tower now bearing a vague resemblance to a lighthouse, with a brilliant purple flame shining a deadly warning to all around. With nowhere to flee, and no obvious targets for his webbing, the Joltik takes the full force of the spectacular display.

[Elijah used Fiery Dance! Joltik took 6 damage! It's Super Effective! Elijah's Special Attack rose (+2)!]

Charring from the excessive heat emanating from around and below it, the Attaching Pokemon crumples, though it at least maintained its throne 'til its last moments. Samuel casually raises his hand and returns his defeated Pokemon.

Gathering her strength, Lotty throws everything she has into another skyward leap at the Butterfree, neglecting to cover herself in a sheathe of water this time as she attempts to control her landing more accurately. She hits the Butterfree head-to-tail, and gives the offending bug a ferocious wet smack that knocks Lotty in the direction of the tower.

[Lotty used Flail! Butterfree took 3 damage! Lotty Shifted to (Tower Interior)!]

Bouncing off the hovering Bug Type, Lotty is able to neatly fling herself through one of the cavernous openings in the side of the tower, taking ample cover from any retribution from her struck target. Recovering from the blow, the Butterfree once again flaps its wings to send a burst of air spiraling towards the tower. Mostly protected by the solid walls around her, and able to hunch herself in a corner, Lotty is able to weather the violent winds slightly better than before.

[Butterfree used Gust! Lotty took 2 damage! Its Super Effective!]

[End of Round 2]
    Eli - 3/8, +2 SA, [Tower Top]
    Lotty - 1/6, [Tower Interior]
    Butterfree - 3/8, -1 Df, [Airborne]
    Joltik - 0/8, [FAINTED]

Jim, holding his breath from the moment he'd given Lotty her command, finally lets himself exhale. Now they just need to bring it all home. "Fantastic work, team! Eli, you're perfectly poised to perforate that ferocious flier with an Ember attack! Lotty, bounce up to that Butterfree and douse him in another Drench!"

"Butterfree, recover with a Silver Wind," Samuel calls out, too late as Jim's two Pokemon work in concert to take on their lone, remaining foe.

Having claimed control of the tower's top, Eli sets his sights on the billowy butterfly. Loading up his flames for ack-ack fire, he draws a bead on the dodgy diver and fires off a gout of flames at the remaining foe. Boosted into the stratosphere as the Eli's attack is, the ember looks more like an explosion, and the resulting damage is downright devastating.

[Elijah used Ember! Butterfree took 5 damage!]

Leaping free from the tower, Lotty cloaks herself in an aquatic barrier, protecting herself from Elijah's fireworks, as well as drenching the scorched Butterfree as she makes her aerial impact. Either one of the attacks would have been enough to knock the remaining wind from Samuel's last competitor, but the combined one-two punch ensures that there's no chance of a last-second recovery.

[Lotty used Drench! Butterfree took 3 damage! Butterfree's Defense fell (-2)!]

With the butterfly spiraling downward towards the arena floor, Samuel flicks out a Pokeball to recapture his defeated Pokemon, allowing Lotty to make her flopping landing alone. For a single second, the entirety of the arena is dead silent, the only sound to be heard the blaring rock'n'roll winding down.

"Over in a flash!" the announcer crows. "With two Pokemon remaining to Gym Leader Samuel's zero, Jim has won the match!" The announcement pulls the audience from their trance, and the crowd explodes into cheers and applause.

Jim leaps into the air excitedly, before remembering that, whoops, gotta make sure he looks cool in front of all these people. "I had a good feeling about today," he says modestly, offering a debonair smile to the crowd, who continue to go completely wild at the stunning victory. He pushes the button to send down the booth where he's standing and, when it nears the ground, leaps over the edge to hurry to his team.

He kneels down in front of an Elijah that, if it is indeed possible for a ghostly candle without any blood whatsoever to blush, is blushing up a storm as the flame on his head wanes down to its normal brightness. Lotty flops over and he picks her up into his arms gently, well aware of the beating she endured to make their victory possible. "Holy Murkrow, you guys, that was phenomenal! I can't believe we did that! I am so proud of you guys!"

As the roar of the crowd fades, Samuel raises an empty hand and addresses the victorious Junior Trainer. "With a mighty passion, and astute tactics, I cannot deny that your confidence is well founded. Do not rest on your laurels, but instead continue onward, and show Kalos the power that awaits those who believe in themselves."

Jim lifts both his Pokemon up into the air with him. "I will-" He begins to speak, but instantly realizes that nobody can hear him without a microphone. He walks back to the booth and begins again. "I will, Samuel. Thank you for this unforgettable battle!"

"It is my honor to offer you, as commemoration of your achievement, the Santalune Gym's Bug Badge," he continues, shifting a hand forward and causing a panel to open on the booth in front of Jim, revealing a shiny badge of silver and green, reminiscent of an insect's face. "Also, please accept this TM as a personal thanks for the exciting battle. It is TM 21, and allows you to teach your Pokemon Focus Style Moves. The Focus Style allows a Pokemon to prepare themselves for a devastating move on their following turn. I hope you find it useful."

"And it is my honor to accept this badge from you, Samuel." Jim replies. "I promise I will keep working and keep pushing forward until I have reached the pinnacle of the Pokemon League." He plucks the badge from its resting place and carefully pins it on his lapel.

"Make waves, champ-in-the-making," Samuel says solemnly. "And surf them to greatness."

[Eli and Lotty each gain 5 exp!]
    [Jim gained 10 Trainer exp!]
    [An Ability has been unlocked for one of Jim's Pokemon!]
    [Jim gained TM 21 (Focus)!]
    [Jim gained +1 Max Voltage!]

It's a few minutes later, when the lights are back up, and the arena is being reset for the next contender. Jim finds Samuel selecting his team for the next battle, and clears his throat to draw the man's attention.

"Ahem. Samuel, it's me again. I wanted to thank you again for the battle, but there's something else I need to ask you. I know that Gym Leaders get a little more information than the regular public. I've heard rumors about something in the region, a large and powerful Pokemon that's not Kalos native, something that came here recently. Have you heard anything about that?"
    Sorry it took a week to get this up. I've been sick since last Saturday, and having to go to work anyway just killed any desire to do anything else this week.

• Options
    I'm not sure when I'll have time to IRC honestly :(

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Sorry for flying below the radar again, been busy with holiday sales starting up and a biannual inventory count at work while being down a member of my crew, along with gearing up for some family visiting (catching up on hella chores).
    I'm not sure when I'll have time to IRC honestly :(

No biggie. I am available pretty much all times since I do not have a sleep schedule so much as I periodically pass out whenever its convenient. If you want to arrange something, chances are I can try to be free, otherwise, we could try taking things to PM and worrying less about making fancy actions and more about getting the Gym result. Can be prettied up later to actually post.

Alternately I could stop being a piece of shit and update on the daily rather than weekly. Battles really only take 3-4 turns (though, that does not take North's tanky ass into account).

Note that the irc is on the server Rizon.net and the room is #voltage. If you use something like mibbit, you want to make sure you tell it to use the rizon server, not the mibbit one, for instance. Generally you'll know you're in the right place when the topic of the channel is some snippet of rap or techno music (currently "More Violent & Sick Than Anything You Can Imagine" as a nod to Venetian Snares).

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    So.. the reason I don't have time is because I'm getting married in two weeks, so I'm hard pressed to find any moment where I could sit down for an hour or two when I shouldn't be doing something else.
    Give it about a month and I might be able to find time :(

• Options
    So.. the reason I don't have time is because I'm getting married in two weeks, so I'm hard pressed to find any moment where I could sit down for an hour or two when I shouldn't be doing something else.
    Congrats on the wedding!

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Congrats!! I can't imagine many things more important than that

On my end, I've coming down from the blizzcon high and by high I mean major sleep deprivation coupled with a busier than usual holiday season for the company that contracts me. Regardless, I'll pop into the chat occasionally this week and see who is around

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Congrats, disc! Take care of your important stuff, and we'll get caught up when and how we can.

Jim

Samuel nods guardedly at Jim's question. "It is my job as Gym Leader to know such things, but it is also my job to ward away trainers from challenges for which they are not yet ready, or are simply too dangerous for any to contemplate."

"What is your interest in such Pokemon, Badge-Holder Jim? My predecessor also held the roaming and slumbering Myths of the natural world as one of her many passions, but even she was wise to use a telephoto lens in that particular application of her craft."

~ Training Rooms (Santalune Gym) ~
    Beatrix

The Battle Rooms seem entirely abandoned at this time, peeks through the windows set into the rows of doors showing nothing but empty arenas wtih dimmed lights, the faint sound of crickets echoing forlornly down the empty hallways. Must be that everyone is more interested in binge-watching the back-to-back Gym Battles happening today rather than engaging in any battles of their own.

Ahead, Beatrix hears the faint patter of footsteps, and the click of a training room door.

Richter

As his booth finally locks into place with a hydraulic thump, Richter can his beckoning arena, startlingly plain at first, until you see the glimmer of fine... wire? webbing?.. strewn across the field in mesmerizing patterns that catch, but rarely hold, the lights focused on the upcoming battle.

"Uniqueness is a strength of its own in a Pokemon Battle," Gym Leader Samuel intones from his own booth opposite Richter's. "The shocking countermove, the tactics and Typings as of yet unrecorded and unexpected." The man idly tosses a pair of Pokeballs into the arena, releasing a stocky, bipedal Pokemon with a small, bifurcated horn and an angry, fanged visage - and a crawling larval Pokemon with a large set of forelimbs and a glassy stare, though its most obvious feature is the pair of spotted mushrooms growing from its back.

"As your fame grows, whether you desire it or not, that edge slowly dulls, and will need to be re-honed." Samuel nods approvingly as his Pokemon take aggressive stances against the approaching Keyanu and North. "Show me that you have the persistance and creativity to maintain that edge, and the fundamentals to back them up, show me the bond of trust between you and your Pokemon, and I will offer you the Bug Badge as recognition of your feats."

Gym Leader Samuel sent out Karrablast! Paras! :whistle:

Battle Status
    Caught In The Web (Deals Hazard [Bug] Damage on entry, [Trapped] until struggles free)
    -
    Free And Clear (No special properties)
    - Karrablast [ |||||| ]
    In The Weave (Deals Hazard [Bug] Damage on entry, unless very careful)
    - Paras [ ||||| ]

- North [ ||||||| ]
    - Keyanu [ |||||| ]

~ Santalune Arena (Santalune Gym): Yesterday ~
    Aleksandr

The roar of the cheering crowd very slowly begins to compete with the roar of rushing water as for the second time, Kay finds himself in the main arena, his booth creaking upwards. This time, however, he's battling a Gym Leader.

Thunking to a stop, the Ace Trainer is greeted by yet another aquatic-themed arena, though of a scale fit for a proper Gym Battle. The raised walls of the field shelter a steep, concave slope, powerful jets of water spraying horizontally along the top forcing the entire field into a bubbling vortex, a veritable whirlpool. Periodically, pillars of stone push their way up through the frothy surface, their stubborn defiance against the rushing current generating a haze of mist that hangs in the air, and spills over the edges of the arena.

"Your reputation precedes you, Monsieur Ruskidoichev," Gym Leader Samuel calls amiably from his side of the field, shouting to be heard over the crashing of the current below. "From the deeds of your parents, of course, but also your own modest feats to date," Aleks suspects he can see a wry smile cross the man's face. "I understand you defeated my daughter earlier. I apologize if her rudeness offended."

Casting out an arm, he sends two Pokeballs flying into the maelstrom below, red flashes rendered dull by the billowing mist as they release a dragonfly-like Pokemon that immediately takes to the air, its rapid wing beats fighting against the unpredictable air currents - and a round, blue Pokemon with four skinny legs that swiftly skates across the treacherous waters with ease, before latching deftly onto one of the stone pillars, the single yellow antenna protruding from its head bobbing in the spray.

"A powerful and disciplined trainer, quick on your feet, and with the respect of his Pokemon. Prove the truth of these words, and I will grant you the Bug Badge in recognition of your efforts."

Gym Leader Samuel sent out Yanma! Surskit! :whistle:

Battle Status
    Whirlpool (Swim, or get dashed on the rocks!)
    -
    Rock Pillars (Slippery when wet: Water or Ice Type Moves shift the target to the Whirlpool)
    - Surskit ||||||| ]
    Airborne (accessed via Flight or (temporarily) by Jumping
    - Yanma [ |||||||| ]

- Volnoy [ |||||||| ]
    - Borzoi [ |||||||| ]

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2017

"You said yourself that I've traveled far to be here, Samuel. That Pokemon is the reason why." He pulls the weathered notebook from his pack. "I found this notebook. It's a diary, detailing a man's journey to find this Pokemon." He flips it open and reads the final page. "'I am done. I have mastered the three elements, as the ancient writings described. After all these years, the end of my quest is in reach. And now, I am ready to confront the creature. I will travel now to his sacred den, where the mystics foretold our meeting. I leave this journal behind, that others may know of my humbling journey.'" He closes the book. "He didn't give many details, or even his own name. I have no idea if he ever found what he sought, or if he's still alive. I wasn't even sure he was a he until halfway through. But based on the description of the so-called 'creature' he sought, I am certain it is the same Pokemon I seek." He glances down. "I would... meet this Pokemon. We have things to talk about. I know I'm not ready, not yet. I will still master the three elements, just like he did. But when I'm ready, I will seek it out and have my meeting. I just want to know if I'm on the right track."

Hey Marsh, pretty sure Lotty's not helping Richter out. Also, congratulations, disc!

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Beatrix – P [][] /K [-] /M- /N[-][] / V [-][-]
    Moriarty – 6/8
    Vance - 6/8

Heh, that figures, Beatrix thought to herself, scratching her head. She thought for sure she'd find some sort of lead here. Guess I’ll just try my luck at the Gallery instead…

She stopped in her tracks when she heard the faint footsteps, followed by the click of what she could surmise to be that of a closed door.

Hmmmm, not suspicious at all. No sir…

She places a finger on her lips, indicating to Moriarty now was a good time for stealth. “Shhh, looks like someone don't want to be discovered. Let’s find out who, shall we?” she whispers to Moriarty.

The Darkness Pokemon merely caws softly.

Sneaking towards the door, Beatrix gazes through the set of windows, trying to distinguish through the dim lights just who (or what) just went into the training room. Moriarty, however, was too busy admiring his reflection.

• Options
    edited November 2017

Aleksandr holds a Pokéball in each hand as his elevator ascends, releasing his Buizel and Rockruff on the way.

"Yanma is very quick, and very powerful. You must negate its speed and mobility as quickly as possible," he tells his charges. Volnoy nods, arms folded with one paw on his chin, unknowingly posed exactly like his Trainer when considering a difficult problem. Borzoi barks happily, and turns in place, snapping at her tail before forcing herself to sit DOWN and pay ATTENTION because this is SERIOUS TIME. "Borzoi, you can slow it down. Volnoy, you can take it into the pool and finish it there." He looks over the spray-slick pillars, and turns back towards Borzoi. "You must be careful. The Skurskit has type advantage on you, and shall attempt to push you into the water. But you are very strong, and getting faster. Try and keep that bug at arm's length, understand?" The Puppy Pokémon barks an affirmative, and shifts position, head down and tail high in a playful taunt. Volnoy points to Borzoi, barks a few rapid 'bui' sounds, and indicates both Skurskit and Yanma in turn. Borzoi tilts her head, then nods once.

"Now go, double-team the Yanma, and be careful of the Skurskit. Volnoy, make sure you are closer to the bug while Borzoi keeps her distance. I believe in you both."

Both 'mons leap into action, Borzoi carefully pouncing from pillar to pillar, while Volnoy goes for a more stylish entrance. He surfs along the torrent of water, then kicks off in a plume of spray to propel himself atop another pillar, closer to the bugs than Borzoi is. The team then glances at each other, nods, and waits for the start signal, ready to execute their plan.

The Sinnoh youth then raises his voice to his opponent. "Your daughter battles well," he calls. "I trust her inspiration comes from you and your skill as a Trainer. I aim to show you my truth, and the strength of my companions." He raises a hand in recognition and salute, ready to direct his companions as needed as the battle unfolds.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Jim

Samuel seems neither especially threatened or mollified by Jim's heartfelt explanation, though it may be more accurate to say that whatever relief the sound reasoning the Junior Trainer presents is equally offset by his sincerity in seeing his pursuit through.

"You have your reasons, then," the Gym Leader says, not unkindly. "Legendary Pokemon are generally sought for reasons of power, or fate. If it is your destiny to accomplish your task, continuing your League Journey in Kalos would be a good way of going about it."

Beatrix

Stalking up to the doorway, and peering through the small window, Beatrix spots a pair of unmistakeably familiar trainers. Furthest away stands the Gym Leader Samuel, hands in his sleeves with a bored, haughty expression on his face. Her back to the door, the other person is definitely Shirley, a wide stance and imperious incline to her head.

Though no Pokemon are currently released, and neither trainer is behaving especially aggressive, Beatrix can tell that some contest of words and wills is happening, as she scarcely hears the faintest murmur of harshly drawled words through her side of the door.

Risk listening in? Y/N?

Aleksandr

The Gym Leader opposite nods politely at the Ace Trainer's reply, as Aleksandr's Pokemon take their places amidst the surging waves. The Yanma circles lazily above, having gotten a feel for flying through the dense mist, and the Surskit waves amiably at Volnoy as he surfs in and jets up onto his nearby perch.

"They're sizing each other up! Who will make the first move!" the announcer calls to the crowd, all but drowned out by the roar of the whirlpool and intensity of the two Trainers' concentration.

"Surskit! Dodge around the Buizel and soak the Rockruff with a Water Sport!" Samuel shouts. "Yanma, seize the Sea Weasel for a Sky Drop attack!"

Battle Status
    -
    Rock Pillars (Slippery when wet: Water or Ice Type Moves shift the target to the Whirlpool)
    - Surskit ||||||| ]
    - Volnoy [ |||||||| ]
    - Borzoi [ |||||||| ]
    - Yanma [ |||||||| ]

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Reads through old thread...

Notices new post...

!!!!

A wild post appears!

Risk listening in?
    Y <---
    N

Seeing the stand-off merely confuses the young detective. Just what was going on in there? She figured if she quietly nudged the door open, she might overhear their exchange. Best case scenario: she could gather more evidence on Shirley's schemes (and maybe even... dare she say it? Her motives?). Worst case: She can always interfere if a fight breaks out (and maybe help Samuel in the process). She starts to slowly open the door, only slightly leaving it ajar, at least certain that it was not going to give her position away.

Moriarty had other plans though.

Jumping off Beatrix's shoulders, he squeezes through the entrance of the door, and starts sneaking towards the Agent. He figures sometimes the best way to solve a problem is to just do it yourself and take it head on. One card coming right up! Whatever it looks like! No need to fret about some dumb piece of paper right?

Beatrix merely looks at him aghast, pantomiming constantly at the Murkrow to get back to her THIS INSTANCE...
    Welcome back Marsh!

We still continuing with the thread?

@Kay
    @Terrendos
    @discrider
    @Tommy2Hands

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    ~Santalune Gym~

Richter

Ah well..
    Richter hesitated as North and Keyanu started edging their way around the webbing, with the mushroom Pokémon scrabbling towards them.
    It could be worse. We might have been caught unprepared.

Richter grinned.
    "Keyanu! Let's kick things off with your new special attack on the mushroom guy!"

"And North... Let's move it up!"

Keyanu immediately turns towards the encroaching bug before emitting a high pitched shrill of challenge.
    Fixed in place by the thin stands, he nonetheless finds space to spin up.
    Briefly, Keyanu appears to be contained within a clinking purple halo, as the salt shaker vials Richter filled the night before complete their orbits.

There is a brief pop, and then a purple projectile arcs towards the Paras.
    Now normally people apply Repel to themselves.
    This Paras in particular does not appear to enjoy having it applied directly to its person.

Keyanu learned Repel Flask! (Last night)
    [Special/Ranged/Poison]
    [-1 Trainer XP]

North chances a quizzical look back at his trainer.
    Richter has remained in place pointing at the ceiling since he issued the command.
    Tentatively, the rock Pokémon starts hauling himself back up the tower.
    "No! No!"
    Richter motions again, indicating that his left hand should stick underneath his right arm.

North squints.
    It's probably worth a shot?
    Not sure how it will work with this web stuff though.

Kicking off from the ground, the magnetic Rock starts drawing himself off the ground, skating up the side of the metallic structure.
    Perhaps if he could launch himself to the roof struts, then he should be free of the web, but he'd have to pour on the speed...

North attempts to shift to the Roof with [Magnetize]
    Spending a PKMN token of some sort here to do so. Was thinking Knowledge

• Options

"I get it. No reason to trust a scrub like me," Jim admits. "But with a few more battles under my belt, a little more respect, you'll see I'm not on some fool's errand that'll end up getting me killed. Fair enough." Jim waves a goodbye. "Good luck with the rest of your matches today... the rest of my friends are pretty strong."

Jim leaves the room and wanders back to the arena itself, where the crowd has dispersed a bit from its tumultuous state during his match. Nevertheless, a goodly portion of the audience remain, either having nothing else to do or still wanting to catch the next match. A few people recognize him, and he shakes a few hands, gives a few demure words, and takes his seat among the stands to watch his friends fight. After all, they were there for his match... probably.

• Options

Volnoy returns the Skurskit's wave with a thumbs up and his signature determined grin, though he's keeping a careful eye on the Yanma too. Borzoi tries to keep her focus, while hopping excitedly from pillar to pillar with the occasional high-spirited bark.

The moment Samuel calls his shots, Aleksandr directs his charges decisively. "Volnoy, jump up there and Ice Blade the Yanma into the whirlpool. You'll have the advantage there. Borzoi, make sure it gets there and stays there with a Smack Down, so you don't have to jump so much."

The Buizel responds by powering towards the flying bug on a jet of water and his natural athleticism. The Rockruff follows with a leap powered by sheer idiot strength, contributing to a combination attack that should hopefully make the Yanma's day decidedly more... flat.
    Oh yeah, Sky Attack. That move that makes them unhittable by anything but a handful of moves... which include Smack Down. :o

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Welcome back Marsh!

We still continuing with the thread?

Yea. Still got Christmas and New Years to deal with, of course. So, you know, 'continuing'.

Beatrix

As the Junior Detective cracks the door for a closer listen, Moriarty pushes into the room, the [Stealthy] Pokemon padding eagerly forward across the floor, neither the Gym Leader nor the Officer any the wiser about the Murkrow's bold approach.

While gesturing in frantic silence, Beatrix begins picking up the particulars of the conversation between the two trainers:

"...is not an arrest, Sammy. I just to want to talk."
    "The League is always happy to assist members of the international police in their lawful inq-."
    "C'mon, Sammy, don't do this to me. I want to know what you're up to here."
    "I'm a Gym Leader. This is my Gym."
    "You know what I mean."

Ignored, Moriarty cautiously sidles up next to the jacketed woman standing off against the Gym Leader from earlier, eyeing her warily. Card, card, where would she keep a card?

"Assume, for a moment, that I do not."
    "Who put you up to coming to Kalos and accepting a position in the League? Is this a family matter, or are your 'backers' interested in something in the region?"
    "What kind of question is that. You think I was asked to come here for something sinister?"
    "I think it's unusual. I don't like unusual in Kalos, right now."

Beatrix could probably return Moriarty to his Pokeball, at the risk of a small flash of light and the Dark Type's irateness later. Might be worth it to stop the Murkrow from frisking Shirley and pick-pocketing who-knows-what, though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aleksandr

With uncanny, insectoid speed, the Surskit sends itself surfing from its perch with a flick of its thin limbs, skating delicately across the frothy surface of the whirlpool with lazy movements that belie the speed its building up.

Maneuvering deftly to manage the surging waves, as well as Volnoy's attempts to stay in between it and its target, the Bug Type eventually skitters past the rock-clinging Borzoi, its legs briefly dipping into the water to heave a small droplet of water into the air. Not much on its own, but as the Surskit's legs blur into action the area quickly becomes inundated with water like a localized terrential downpour.

Surskit used Water Sport!
    Borzoi took 4 damage!
    It's Super Effective!

The moisturizing activity seems to have gotten the Pond Skater Pokemon all pumped up and hydrated. It's next attack is going to be a doozy.

Surskit was soaked through! +2 Damage on their next attack!

Struggling to keep her footing on her now very slippery stone perch, Borzoi can do little more than give a yelp of surprise as she tumbles into the strong current and is swept away.

Borzoi slipped and fell into the Whirlpool!

Trusting the Rockruff to handle her dicey situation on her own for the moment, Volnoy takes to the air with a burst of water, drawing forth a blade of ice to strike at the vulnerable, hovering Yanma.

Volnoy used Ice Blade!
    Yanma took 5 damage!
    It's Super Effective!

Tangled, the two Pokemon thrash and scuffle in desperate close-quarters as they fall, the swirling waters swallowing them both with a splash as the Yanma runs out of time to disengage.

Volnoy and Yanma shifted to the Whirlpool!

The audience looks on in expectant silence as Samuel crosses his arms and waits. The only noise the roar of the whirlpool, and the occasional howl of Borzoi as she unsuccessfully fights the current.

With a sharp crack, a white-water plume is sent soaring skyward, marking the re-entrance of the Yanma to its aerial domain, with the Buizel struggling in its firm clutches.

Yanma used Sky Drop!
    Volnoy took 4 damage!

With four staccato snaps, the Yanma flicks the water from each of its wings, which subsequently blur into near-invisibility as it battles the wind and mist to drag its quarry into the heights of the arena. Reaching its apex, it unceremoniously dumps its Buizel cargo, setting Volnoy loose to the dangers of gravity.

Volnoy and Yanma were shifted to Airborne!

Snuffling miserably, Borzoi finally manages to catch on to one of the rock pillars, rather than just painfully bumping into it like the last several. Hauling herself out of the water, she makes a half-hearted effort to shake some of the water off, with a rattle of rock-encrusted fur.

Borzoi took 1 Damage escaping the Whirlpool!

Gazing upward, she glances a sight of her target, twice impressed on her. Watching the foe's movements intently, her knees reflexively buckle, muscles bunch, and with a push that sends cracks down the stone below her, she leaps skyward.

The next thing the Yanma knows, it has two paws on its back.

Borzoi used Smack Down!
    Yanma took 5 Damage!
    Yanma's Speed fell!
    It's Super Effective!

Like a meteor, the two Pokemon whistle down through the hissing mist, the Yanma fighting against the unwieldy baggage of a Puppy Pokemon driving its full weight and power on top of it. Finding itself once more driven ignominiously out of its element, the Yanma can't even hope for a soft landing this time, as one of the rock pillars spears out of the fog.

Yanma fainted!

Proudly crouched above her 'fetched' target with a wagging tail. Borzoi reacts with confusion as Samuel returns the defeated Yanma, turning circles on the tiny pillar to try and see where her playmate slipped off to while she was distracted.

The Surskit skates past, looking chipper even in the face of its partner's defeat. It waves at Borzoi.

Battle Status
    -
    - Surskit ||||||| ] Focused +2
    - Borzoi [ |||--­--- ]
    - Yanma [ ---­--­--- ] -1 Sp, FAINTED
    - Volnoy [ ||||---- ] Warning: Can't Fly

Glass Cannon battles, Jesus Christ.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Richter

"Karrablast, Tackle the Geodude into the web!" Samuel calls out. "Paras, use your Seed Bomb to take down that Klefki fast!"

Lobbing its projectile into the mire of webbing before its opponent can get an attack out, Keyanu uses its newly learned move to stunning affect against the lurking Paras. Seems like the spore-loving Pokemon doesn't like a taste of its own medicine, as it hisses and swipes against the irritating aura left by the Repel.

Keyanu used Repel Flask!
    Paras took 3 Damage!
    It's Super Effective!

Curiously strong for its stature, the Karrablast tackles the Alolan Geodude, shoving him back, with great effort, to lodge in the thickest of the sticky webs.

Karrablast used Tackle
    North took 1 Damage!
    It's not very effective...

The thick webbing clings uncomfortably to the Electric Pokemon, somehow managing to drain a little energy from the trapped 'dude as he struggles.

North was shifted to Caught In The Web!
    North took 1 Damage!

Activating his magnetism, North bucks and heaves against his stretchy bindings. Flinging himself back and forth, he eventually manages to get enough momentum to snap the sticky strings, flinging him with a welcome speed boost that aids in his trainer's plan to stick the Geodude to the roof.

With a resounding clang, the Alolan Pokemon adheres the the beams above, giving him an excellent, albeit somewhat distant, bird's eye look at the field below.

North shifted to New Area: Attached to the Ceiling!

Strands of webbing twanging and twitching as the Paras blunders through, with swiping claws, to escape the unpleasant Repel, it spares a moment to toss a green bundle at the hovering Keyanu. The Klefki has only enough time to chirp in confusion before the package chemically detonates, sending seeds blasting everywhere like shrapnel.

Paras used Seed Bomb!
    Keyanu took 4 Damage!

Pellets ping and bounce from the clear plastic shields erected in front of the audience by a thoughtful designer who took into account one of the participants' explosive talents. A few stray seeds manage hit the roof near North with hollow thuds, but he's distant enough that they're nothing more than a harmless distraction from the action below.

Battle Status
    Caught In The Web (Deals Hazard [Bug] Damage on entry, [Trapped] until struggles free)
    -
    Free And Clear (No special properties)
    - Karrablast [ |||||| ]
    - Keyanu [ ||--­-- ]
    In The Weave (Deals Hazard [Bug] Damage on entry, unless very careful)
    - Paras [ ||--­- ]
    Attached to the Ceiling (New Area! Special Properties unknown)
    - North [ |||||-- ]

Marshmallow on
  • Options

As the battle unfolds, Al checks his Pokédex updates while observing the melee. The blinking HP totals for both his battlers does not exactly fill him with confidence, and Volnoy's current situation seems even more dangerous. It's time for some creativity. "Volnoy," he cries. "Use your Splash Dash to reach the water safely, and cut off the Surskit's attack. Keep it off Borzoi," he calls, reaching into his messenger bag for a restorative spray.

Borzoi continues to paw at the pillar she's landed on, completely oblivious as the passing Surskit waves at her, but her ears prick up at the sound of her name. That's her name! That's her trainer! Wow, why does she feel like a truck hit her? That's part of the game!

"Borzoi, Smack that bug Down," he orders, pointing at the skating insect. "We need to curb its speed."
    Oh wow, that was pretty deadly. Let's see how this goes - Volnoy lacks any SE moves, but he's hurt pretty badly. I'm guessing the use of potions and such is frowned on in gym battles. Not sure what Aleks' traits can do here - Knowledge to spot a weak pillar to topple on the Surskit? Voltage to mimic Networking and inspire the 'mons to dodge/hit harder/etc?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Two fairly offense-focused trainers battling with mutual Type advantage is pretty gnarly, yeah.

Item use is probably a case of "fair's fair" where if one trainer uses an item, the other can feel free to take advantage as well, or alternately abstain for style points. In the context of a Gym Match, which is naturally hinging at least slightly on the Leader's opinion of you, that can make a difference. Lance certainly doesn't have a lot of room to argue with his backpack of Full Restores and Illegal-Level Dragonite, but others might consider that losing with style is at least as good as barely eking out a win by using items, and reward the Trainer accordingly for their good sportsmanship.

Aleksandr

"Don't waste your stored power on the Rockruff," Samuel commands. "Use your Bubblebeam to take out the Buizel while it can't dodge!"

Zipping across the water with flicks of its fragile legs, the Surskit deftly skates from the tip of a wave to perch on one of the stone pillars, using the additional height to draw a bead on the airborne Volnoy. Gesturing with one of its limbs, The Water Type causes a swarm of glowing bubbles to fly upward, homing in on the falling Buizel.

Though out of his element, Volnoy responds to his trainer's suggestion to utilize his Splash Dash for a bit of mid-air mobility. Using controlled bursts of water, he is able to avoid the worst of the cascading bubbles, though the few that impact end up doing a lot more damage than you'd expect given Volnoy's Water resistance.

Surskit used Bubblebeam!
    Volnoy took 3 Damage!
    Surskit's Focus was Expended!

Slowing his fall sufficiently to dive gracefully into the whirlpool, Volnoy goes on the offense, taking the fight to the Surskit in order to distract it from his teammate. Though wounded, the Buizel still has enough oomph to deal the Surskit its first hit of the battle, sending the slightly-built Pokemon rocking with a water-fueled tackle.

Volnoy used Splash Dash!
    Surskit took 2 Damage!

Gingerly making her way from pillar to pillar, Borzoi arrives on the scene to playfully bat at the slightly stunned Bug Type, slamming the Surskit into the pillar with usual excess of enthusiasm.

Borzoi used Smack Down!
    Surskit took 3 Damage!

Thin legs left a bit kinked after that last smoosh the Rockruff dealt it, it seems like the Surskit won't be quite as blisteringly fast from here on out.

Surskit's Speed fell!

Battle Status
    -
    - Borzoi [ |||--­--- ]
    - Volnoy [ |----­--- ]
    - Surskit ||---­-x ] -1 Sp
    -

Marshmallow on
  • Options

Volnoy grunts at the bubblebeam's impact, sideswipes the Surskit, and clings to the edge of a pillar, one paw on the plateau above. The Buizel glances from the Pond Skater to Borzoi, then across to Aleksandr. The Rockruff, in the meantime, paws at the Bug type's face amiably with a bright, cheery bark. Hi!

"That's it, keep grinding it down," Aleksandr calls. "Crunch through its defenses, Volnoy, it's your best shot at landing serious damage. Borzoi!" At the sound of her name, the Puppy Pokémon looks up, her mineral-heavy tail wagging. "Snarl, dampen its special attacks. You have the upper hand, scare it out of the arena!" The trainer leans over his platform, and raises a clenched fist as he watches the battle below.

The Buizel and Rockruff share a look, then nod and flash each other grins - one determined, one exuberant - before executing the plan.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Holidays are over. Thank goodness.

Aleksandr

His partner's efforts having finally granted him the speed advantage in this match up, Volnoy manages to outmaneuver the limping Surskit to make the first move of the round. Leaping at the partially stunned Pokemon, the Buizel lands a bone-jarring bite that further emphasizes the Bug Type's rapidly deteriorating status in the face of its two fierce foes.

Volnoy used Crunch!
    Surskit took 3 Damage!
    Surskit's Defense Fell!

Taking advantage of the opening afforded by the hefty distraction of a Sea Weasel's firmly latched teeth, Borzoi throws her own parting shot into the mix, barking out a withering rant that echoes harshly over even the roar of the water, the vicious scolding seemingly just as bothersome to the Surskit as being bitten.

Borzoi used Snarl!
    Surskit took 3 Damage!
    Surskit's Special Attack Fell!

Outnumbered, heavily damaged, and incredibly handicapped, the Surskit abandons its former insouciant demeanor and agile grace, desperately scrambling away in a flurry of flailing limbs from the terrible twosome and their devastating Dark Type double-up. Before the panicked Pokemon's legs fail it, and the water sweeps it away, Samuel extends an arm, returning the defeated Pond Skater to its pokeball.

Surskit Fainted!

"Wow! Were the rafters rattling with every attack in that battle, or was it just me?" the announcer gushes. "All that power let out to play, but at the end of the day, it looks like only two Pokemon are still standing - and both of them belong to this match's winner, Aleksandr Ruski... do... i...chev!

Stowing his fainted Pokemon's ball with one hand, Samuel raises the other in a stoic salute. "You have trained your Pokemon well, and they've rewarded you with strength, loyalty, and a hard-won victory." Lowering his arm and tapping at a small console in his booth. The action is met by small section of Aleksandr's booth sliding aside to reveal a recess containing the rounded, copper and green form of a Bug Badge, his for the taking.

"Please accept the Santalune's Gym's Bug Badge as both evidence of your skill, and reward for your efforts. I would also like to offer you the ongoing use of TM 21, which aids in teaching your Pokemon Moves of the Focus Style. I hope this will come in useful as your journey continues."

Gym Leader Samuel was Defeated!
    Volnoy and Borzoi each gain 5 exp!
    Aleksandr gained 10 Trainer exp!
    An Ability has been unlocked for one of Aleksandr's Pokemon!
    Aleksandr gained TM 21 (Focus)!
    Aleksandr gained +1 Max Voltage!

Marshmallow on