Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Poké] PKMN - Comfy And Easy To Wear

11213151718

Posts

  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    Happy New Years folks!

    Beatrix – P [][] /K [-] /M- /N[-][] / V [-][-]
    Moriarty – 6/8
    Vance - 6/8


    A small part of Beatrix felt a sense of looming dread about this whole scene. Barely even a week and she might mess this simple job up.

    But another felt a sense of curiosity getting the better of her. After all, this exchange between the two figures of authority has piqued her inquisitive interests as a detective. What was this about ‘backers’? Why was Samuel so tentative to Shirley’s inquiries? Was Samuel really hiding something? Or was Shirley’s supposed investigations really not as authorized as she might lead on?

    Or for that matter… why was Shirley getting so defensive about Kalos? Does she have a stake in this region?

    Maybe if she kept listening in (and provided Moriarty doesn’t get them into too much trouble), Beatrix might learn something more from Shirley’s investigations. At least her motive(s) behind this unauthorized inspection…

    Moriarty, unperturbed by the conversation going on, continues in his larcenous scheme, intending to just grab the card and return to his partner. Seriously, how can something so small cause such a fuss? Card’s probably not even edible, or even sweet…

    Noticing something of interest, the Murkrow makes his move. Well now, what have we here?

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2
    ~ Santalune Arena (Santalune Gym): Yesterday ~
    Richter

    Richter hastily flips open his notebook to a purple tinged page, drawing a chewed pencil out of his coat.

    Atop a rather detailed depiction of the poison flasks, a question mark is added beside a triumphant: BUG SPRAY! ?
    Thinking a second, another line is added: WEED KILLER ???

    A grassy explosion rocks the base of the tower, and Richter quickly shuts the book before he impinges on the helpful note: NORTH SAYS: STOP STEALING SALT SHAKERS

    Keyanu's in a bad way... and North's too slow to get there in time
    Richter sighs.
    I really need to start leading with my strongest Pokémon, although how a wall stands to that artillery...

    "Alright, Keyanu!", addressing the smarting fairy, who is seething almost as much as the vials, "Finish that mushroom bug off with another Flask!"
    "And North!"
    ... A smile stretches across Richter's face.
    "Use Body Slam on the other bug!"
    And here I thought this move was going to be less than spectacular
    So. Not sure what the Powerful tag will do on a Physical Rock Body Slam that's coming from the ceiling. The ground sort of resists that.

    The keening keyring flips around as it lets loose another purple projectile at it's aggressor.
    Richter tentatively retrieves the grass stained Pokéball in anticipation though.
    Even if the bomber is removed, the other bug remains, with North on the ceiling unable to help.


    North meanwhile has a headache.
    Everything is upside down and far away.
    His magnetism is currently holding him fast to the undercarriage of a steel support beam that runs the length of the gym.
    He's currently 'upright' on the roof, but hopping forward seems like a bad idea...

    ... Although
    Watching Keyanu angrily twirl below, North reaches 'down' and clamps his hands to the bottom edge of the I beam.
    Flipping over, the world rights itself.

    And then he hears the order.
    Walking hand over hand above the bug, North detaches himself from the ceiling.
    And with a slight guiding squirt of magnetic thrust, rapidly descends upon the second bug.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    ~ Santalune Arena (Santalune Gym): Yesterday ~

    As Aleks' Pokémon execute a two-pronged attack against the remaining bug, the Ace Trainer clenches one hand in a tight fist, whispering encouragement and leaning further and further forward. Once Samuel returns the Surskit, he leaps a clear four feet straight up and punches the air with a triumphant yell. A moment later, he composes himself and dips his head towards the Bug gym leader in a curt bow. "Thank you," he calls, before retrieving the revealed badge. The Sinnoh boy looks from badge to Gym Leader, a hint of moisture catching the light at the corners of his eyes. "Thank you," the youth repeats. Aleksandr then pins the badge to his messenger bag, and vaults over the railings around his podium. He dashes to the edge of the battle arena, just in time to meet Buizel and Rockruff as they finish shaking off the majority of the water from their battle. He scoops both up in a tight hug, and squeezes.

    They squeeze back, one stoic and satisfied, the other barking excitedly and threatening to wriggle straight out of the embrace. Borzoi's exuberance almost topples the youth, but he stands firm and continues hugging them for long, long moments. Speechless, triumphant and exhilerated. It's going to take some time before he can leave the arena and start planning his next training regimen.
    So, questions! 'An Ability' - is that an ability of my choice, for the Pokémon of my choice? Is there any info on Abilities I could read up on?

    What's the Focus move type? And which other TM access do we have, I totally forgot and wanted to note it on my sheet.

    Also, thanks! Really satisfying Gym battle! I guess this makes Aleksandr the first to beat Samuel, chronologically?

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    edited January 3
    Happy New Year, indeed.

    TvfWwsG.gif

    Speaking of, now that more than half the group has received their first badge, any comments or complaints about how the game is going so far?

    I know it's not really moving fast, and that's largely my fault due to being a non-posting piece of shit, but I'll see if I can get better about that.

    Other than that elephant, is there anything particularly enjoyable you'd like to see keep happening? Anything awful I need to stop doing? Is letting everyone split up willy-nilly and do their own thing working out or should I put more effort into plot to force the group to interact with each other more? Is there anything about the system that is still confusing (or is very broken and I haven't noticed it yet)?

    On that note, now's probably a good time to start deciding where the group (or individuals thereof) are likely to head next. Santalune Forest is nearby for those who feel the hankering for yet another addition to their team, or just to enjoy the unspoil't wilderness (and beat the local fauna up for Exp). Could also plot a course to another town if you're feeling confident and want to take a swing at another Gym while you're batting one-for-one.

    Also, may have a new player or two joining soon.

    Also, @Tommy2Hands , sup.
    Kay wrote: »
    So, questions! 'An Ability' - is that an ability of my choice, for the Pokémon of my choice? Is there any info on Abilities I could read up on?

    You choose the Ability and the Pokemon, yeah. I talked some about Abilities and how to make them in the first spoiler in this post.

    Old Voltage Rules page has some examples, and the GM Sanctum has some historical ones that have shown up on NPCs and generally been intentionally broken or silly.

    So far, Beatrix got Mold Breaker for Vance (ignore the effects of other Pokemon's Ability) and Jim got Marvel Scale for Lotty (Boost Defense when targeted by a Harass Style Move, I believe, forget which Anti-Ability was supposed to be replaced though).
    Kay wrote: »
    What's the Focus move type? And which other TM access do we have, I totally forgot and wanted to note it on my sheet.

    The Focus Move used as a Physical or Special Category acts as the next damaging Move the Pokemon uses was performed at +2 At/SA. The Status version makes the next damaging Move act as though it had a +4 At/SA bonus. It generally works as alternate Boosting Style, allowing you a greater bonus, but that bonus doesn't stack, and you lose it after using it. Still a very strong Style for many situations.

    I keep a list of TMs available at the top of the Secret Base (it's not a secret, anyone can go there). Style descriptions can usually be found in either the old Voltage Rules page under "CREATING A POKEMON", or the GM Sanctum (which is also open to players, but mostly has highly experimental rules).
    Kay wrote: »
    Also, thanks! Really satisfying Gym battle! I guess this makes Aleksandr the first to beat Samuel, chronologically?
    Possibly.[/i]

    Also glad you liked it. They seem like they go pretty quick compared to some, but then this is relatively low Exp values, and relatively high focus on offense for this Gym, so more strategic battles will hopefully come up sooner or later.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ~ Training Rooms (Santalune Gym) ~
    Beatrix

    As the Junior Trainer listens in, and Moriarty creeps forward, the strange conversation continues.

    "What unusualness brings you to Kalos, then?" Samuel replies. "And what does it have to do with me?"
    "Nothing, I hope. For both our sakes." Shirley shoots back, cryptically. Samuel merely crosses his arms and glares. Shirley sighs, holding up her hands in defeat.
    "I'm keeping tabs on the Rivals," she admits. Samuel's glare disappears, replaced with... apprehension.
    "Here?"
    "For less than a week, that we know of. That's not the worst of it, by far. They've recruited." Samuel gives this further admission on Shirley's part a moment of dour deliberation.
    "A fifth Rival," he finally comments.
    "The Rival Five," Shirley agrees. "Has a bit of a ring to it."

    The lurking Murkrow has had ample time to warily shift up next to the supposed Interpol Agent, eyeing greedily at the pockets on the woman's lengthy jacket.

    "And the newest... member?" Samuel asks.
    "Classified," Shirley replies, before waving a hand in disregard. "As far as we can tell a minor Kanto criminal. Con artist, more or less," she adds, causing Samuel to grunt in dismay.
    "Yeah, not a good sign, considering," Shirley agrees.
    "Interpol - going to take action?" the Gym Leader asks, the merest hint of threat in his voice. Shirley raises her hands slightly higher, as if she were now the one potentially being arrested here.
    "No," she says flatly. "Observation only. No action in Kalos, no action at all if we can help it." Samuel looks relieved. "I guess we can say your reasons for being here, then, are..." Shirley leads questioningly.
    "Unrelated," Samuel admits, taking a breath. "Nothing from the League, or anything else. I just thought Kalos would be a better environment," he pauses. "For..."
    "Your daughter. I understand," Shirley cuts in, sympathetically turning her head to the side.

    With a silent flap of his wings, Moriarty takes the moment of movement and distraction to leap up, thrusting a beak into Shirley's pocket. Sticking his landing, and holding something flat and black in his mouth, he begins retreating back to the door, and Beatrix, with almost comedic glee at his successful thievery.

    "I suppose I can count on you to help me out here, then? Keep an eye on things," Shirley offers, tentatively.
    "If I can count on you for the same," Samuel accedes, cautiously.
    "Good," Shirley replies, lowering her hands and taking a few steps forward. "You know the protocol?" She asks, offering a hand.
    "No electronic messages. Courier or held mail only," Samuel acknowledges, giving her hand a quick, professional shake.
    "Good," the woman repeats. "I'll be in touch. Good luck with your Gym," she says, turning towards the exit. "And your City."

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ~ Santalune Arena (Santalune Gym) ~
    Richter

    "Karrablast! Paras! Take out the Klefki while you have it outnumbered!" Samuel commands his two Pokemon, who begin to converge on the weakened Keyanu.

    Weakened but undaunted, the Fairy gives a screech and flings another smoking vial at the scuttling Paras, the noxious substance exploding through the woven webbing before the Bug Type can make any attempt to attack or defend.

    Keyanu used Repel Flask!
    Paras took 3 Damage!
    It's Super Effective!


    Overcome by the eyecrossingly-bad scent of the anti-Pokemon item, the Paras slips into unconsciousness, Samuel returning the defeated Pokemon with a grimace.

    Paras Fainted!

    "Karrablast, keep it on its toes," the Gym Leader calls out, confidently. "Use your X-Scissor!"

    Hissing an affirmation, the Clamping Pokemon rushes at Keyanu with its tiny arms crossed in front of it. Glimmering like little daggers, its claws sweep outwards as it dashes past the irate Klefki, scoring a pair of lines into the Steel Type's hard surface.

    Karrablast used X-Scissor!
    Keyanu took 1 Damage!
    It's not very Effective...


    Slowly lowering its arms after coming to a stop, the Bug Type throws a look over its shoulder at its foe, promising more where that came from.

    Karrablast is getting pumped! (Focus +2)

    Having gotten with the program, the distant North flings himself down from his ceiling perch, throwing a little electromagnetic push into it because, hey, why the heck not?

    Accelerating, the little-railgun-pellet-that-could whistles through the air above the arena, the Geodude's eventual impact nothing more than a sudden blur and an explosion of dust and concrete as it strikes the posing Karrablast.

    North used Body Slam!
    Karrablast took 3 Damage!


    Slammed into the ground, the transfer of energy is really rather efficient. Instead of being tossed through the air in the aftermath, the Bug Type is forced to take the full effect of being struck by the Alolan Geodude's bulk, with crippling results.

    Karrablast was Paralyzed!
    (Karrablast's Speed Sharply Fell!)


    Badly staggered, the Karrablast gets back to its feet. Barely.

    (It was... Super Effective!)

    Oop. Wait nope. There it goes, down again. Badass comeback is canceled, sorry.

    Karrablast fainted! :whistle:

    Reaching out, Samuel returns his last Pokemon to its Pokeball.

    Battle Status
    Caught In The Web (Deals Hazard [Bug] Damage on entry, [Trapped] until struggles free)
    -
    Free And Clear (No special properties)
    - Karrablast [ --­--xx ] Fainted
    - Keyanu [ |--­-- ]
    - North [ |||||-- ]
    In The Weave (Deals Hazard [Bug] Damage on entry, unless very careful)
    - Paras [ --­-­-- ] Fainted
    Attached to the Ceiling (Ranged moves deal +1 damage, dropping down grants Physical Moves +2 damage)
    -
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Marshmallow on
    discriderKayTiamatZ
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    It being a Rock move, Body Slam was not super effective @Marshmallow ?

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    Marshmallow
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    Well.










    Shit.

    discrider
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    edited January 3
    Grumble, grumble, Body Slam as a Rock Move, grumble.

    Previous post slightly edited.

    ~ Santalune Arena (Santalune Gym) ~
    Richter

    "A lightning-fast slam dunk!" The announcer shouts as the crowd applauds politely. "With no Pokemon remaining, Gym Leader Samuel has been defeated!"

    "You battled your own way, and it seems even I can still be surprised," Samuel calls over, slightly amused. "In recognition of your style, your spirit, and the teamwork shown by your Pokemon, I would like for you to accept the Santalune Gym's Bug Badge," he continues, pressing a button in front of him that causes a hollow to be revealed in Richter's booth, holding the promised token of victory.

    "You may also claim the use of TM 21, which can be used to teach a Focus Move. I'm sure you will find... interesting uses, if you decide it's to your liking."

    Well, that was easy!

    Gym Leader Samuel was Defeated!
    North and Keyanu each gain 5 exp!
    Richter gained 10 Trainer exp!
    An Ability has been unlocked for one of Richter's Pokemon!
    Richter gained TM 21 (Focus)!
    Richter gained +1 Max Voltage!

    Marshmallow on
    TiamatZdiscrider
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Isaac Emil - [Myth Maniac] - 5/5
    PKMN - [Omen: An Initiation]
    Sierra - 11/11
    Maven - 8/8


    ~Near Santalune Gym~ :whistle:

    At a table in front of the Wild Psyduck Burger, an eevee arches her back and turns from inspecting her trainer's croque-monsieur towards the sudden commotion of him slamming his elbow into the side of the table in excitement.

    The thin teenager with messy blue hair almost perpetually obscuring his left eye rubs his elbow as he attempts to divine a meaning from the card.

    Agb8Foj.png

    "The Hierophant, upright. Look at this, Sierra! We're fated to become part of something greater than ourselves." The eevee looks at Isaac with skepticism. "Well no, probably not the gym itself, unless we run into a bug-type quickly."

    WEVJj5B.gif spent! Gained support [Omen: An Initiation].

    Grabbing the sandwich, Isaac stands, the billowing tailwind blowing against his coat bolstering his confidence in his prognostic. "Our path is clear: to Santalune Gym!"

    Sierra wilts in apprehension, walking in the shadow of her trainer.

    "Do you think they will have snazzy uniforms?"

    discriderTiamatZKayMarshmallow
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Aaaaah, choices! Torn between some stuff like this:

    Swift Swim: - When using a Water (or Ice?) attack, the user is considered to have +1 Spd, Atk and Sp.Atk for the move. (Or just +2/+3 bonus speed.)
    Competitive - When a enemy Pokemon in the same Arena uses a Boosting Style Move, this Pokemon also benefits from it.
    Pressure - Moves that damage this Pokemon are Locked until the end of their User's next turn.

    They all seem pretty much in line with Volnoy's fighting style (especially Competitive), but I'm not sure that Swift Swim is balanced, especially with the bonus speed increasing health temporarily - that could be neat as a sort of temp-hp damage shield effect? So fast it's hard to hit them? I do love Swift Swim, though.

    There are gonna be some training montages. I think Sila needs a Focus move, and Borzoi needs some better type coverage.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Marshmallow
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    I was already thinking of Swift Swim due to Lotty, actually. And had considered a provisional something along the lines of:
    Each round that this Pokemon spends using a Water Type Move, or being exposed to moderate amounts of water (such as splashing in puddles, or being caught in the rain), their Speed is Boosted by +1.

    Furthermore, if the Pokemon is fully immersed in a natural (non-Move) source of water, they immediately max out their Speed bonus (+4).

    Same general idea as yours, but with tamer, albeit more lasting effects and a nice, built-in 'gotcha' assuming you can start a fight near a river, pool, or in the ocean. I like abilities that give you an incentive to work towards, and ambushing stuff near water, or while its raining, or even attempting to set off fire sprinklers in a building, is a nice touch. It also comes with the fair assumption that whatever has it is, well, a 'swift swimmer'. Anything attempting to outspeed or outmaneuver it in open water can be safely assumed to be shit outta luck unless it has some equally strong token of its own aquatic fitness.

    Incidentally, one of my favorite instances of an Ability also functioning similar to a Quirk or an Assist is a Joltik that had Infiltrator (Ignore Defensive bonuses, the first time you strike an enemy you deal 1 additional HP damage as a Harass effect).

    Ignoring Defenses was nice but very niche, so adding the little damage bonus gave it some mechanical oomph, and also meant you were encouraged to split your attacks between as many foes as possible to stack up HP damage (This was before Sapping was created, otherwise having that as a 'bleed' effect would have worked well, also). Given that the Joltik was 4 inches, and was being trained by a ninja, I also decided that being an 'Infiltrator' came with a bonus to the [Sneak] Assist, allowing a great deal of resistance to being detected, even by something spending tokens to try and spot it. So you end up with a tiny, silent assassin slipping around the Areas as a half-noticed blur in the corner of everyone's eye, leaping out to jab something in its weak spot before slipping back into the shadows.

    That's the kind of shit I like. Fun times.

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    ~ Santalune Arena (Santalune Gym): Yesterday ~

    Borzoi's taken something of a beating, Aleksandr thinks to himself as he rubs over the wriggling and excited Rockruff's back and shoulders, And I know Volnoy took a couple of solid hits, not that he'd ever admit to it. He stands, and scoops the Puppy Pokémon up in his arms, and hugs her to his chest before addressing his Buizel. "Let's get you two fixed up, then go for a jog, light dinner, then maybe watch some Elite Four invitationals before bed," he suggests.

    Volnoy nods, and leans in to bat at Borzoi's tail while the Rockruff squirms and struggles in her trainer's grip. She's strong enough to break free, but soothing whispers from Al as well as an absent-minded kiss to the back of one of her ears keeps her from escaping her indignity.

    The Ace Trainer then turns to make his way out of the battle arena, and unless he's stopped by anyone, he slips out and makes for the Pokécenter. But not before querying at the front desk to the schedule for any other gym leader challenges. He makes a note in his Pokétch and carries on his way.

    ~ Santalune Pokécenter: Yesterday~

    "And here they are, all healed up!" says the cheery attendant. Her accent is fairly light, and she speaks near-perfect Unovan. "Hopefully there'll be some highlights on TV tonight, I didn't get to see the whole battle. Your Rockruff's funny," she offers with a smile.

    "Thank you, she is quite the handful. Doesn't quite know when to stop playing," Aleksandr replies with a nod. "I shall keep an eye on the TV too, and maybe ask for a recording of the battle so I may watch, see where I could improve. Samuel is a great trainer, as is his daughter."

    That gets a strange look, but no comment, from the Pokécenter lady. Aleks makes his way up to his room in the meantime, to get changed for a long jog, and to check up on the battle arena times. He'd like to at least spectate the challenges he's sure his travelling companions are making.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ~Santalune Gym, yesterday~

    Richter remembers to breathe as the dust clears, one hand affixed to the platform's railing, the other strangling Keyanu's Pokéball.

    As North picks himself up, rubbing the rock dust from his arms, it is all Richter can do to take in the height of the dissipating dust column, and the breadth of the small crater surrounding the unfortunate Bug Pokémon.

    North flicks a thumbs up to the temporarily inert Keyanu.
    Keyanu shortly responds in kind, flicking his many attached appendages at North; an assault for leaving it alone on the battlefield, or rather, he backs up, he had both those bugs where he wanted them.
    North nods an apology.

    Suddenly a look of concern crosses North's face, as he points at the crowd.
    Keyanu turns to look.

    And is knocked on his face by a small earth spike.

    North starts heading around the arena, picking up the empty flasks, with Keyanu continuously barraging him with his host of attached 'keys'.


    The Bug badge, Richter muses, pinning it to the inside of his coat.
    I ..I thought I was in this for the money, but that battle.. we cleaned up faster than the others we watched.
    'Uh, thanks for the battle. Can, can I get down now?'

    ---

    ~Santalune, yesterday~

    Richter flicks idly through the pages of his notepad.
    He's managed to get a few good sketches of the other fights at the gym to analyse, but at the moment he's more focused on trying to find some clarity.
    Today went... really well. North's display was impressive, and wasn't that what we were looking for? To discover that kind of stuff?
    But.. what does that achieve? If I can train my Pokémon to beat the other Gym Leaders as soundly, then I guess I become Champion? Is that what I want to do?


    Richter musses his hair.
    North and Keyanu are sleeping on top of Richter's backpack, as he ferries them both back to the Pokécenter.

    But we did see some cool stuff today. And so long as we continue traveling, we'll continue to see cool stuff.
    I suppose it doesn't really matter where we end up. Perhaps one of the others will make Champion, and we'll get to see it.

    Perhaps we just need to slow down some. Head off the beaten track. See things that no-one else has seen and get a better view of the big picture.
    After all, anything's better than milling around back home, retracing the same steps over and over.


    Richter smiles, the old wanderlust grabbing him again.

    But first, we really need to find somewhere that does a good rock polish.
    So honestly, I think I'd prefer some more direction with the plot.
    Beatrice seems to be riffing well off herself, but Richter sort of feels like he's following the Gym trail because it's the thing that is in front of him.
    I guess I can try to direct things a bit more, but I'm not sure if I can do that.

    Perhaps I've written myself into a corner, and am struggling to figure out who Richter wants to be, and so where he should go.
    Perhaps I should just look at a map of X/Y and pick a likely spot to head out to :P

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 11
    Beatrix – P [][] /K [-] /M- /N[-][] / V [-][-]
    Moriarty – 6/8
    Vance - 6/8


    ~ Training Rooms (Santalune Gym) ~

    As the two continue on with their discussion, the observant Beatrix scribbles down notes profusely.

    Even IF Moriarty got caught (and by extension, herself) at least the junior detective finally uncovered Shirley’s intentions concerning her (unwarranted?) visit in Kalos. Whoever these ‘Rival Four Five’ were, they merited to be observed by an organization as large as Interpol. When was the last time Interpol got involved with groups like these again? When a criminal organization or Team got involved with nefarious (and illegal) matters?

    Still, these notes should be more than enough evidence for Director Emma. If anything, maybe she could use her contacts to locate these ‘Rivals’ (made somewhat easier now that Beatrix managed to scrawl the fifth members’ specifics).

    The lurking Murkrow has had ample time to warily shift up next to the supposed Interpol Agent, eyeing greedily at the pockets on the woman's lengthy jacket.

    Grabbing the black card from Moriarty’s mouth, she ruffles his feathers. “Honestly Moriarty, I’m not sure if I ought to scold you or praise you. Let’s blow this pop stand… and maybe find an actual pop stand to celebrate this occasion. What do you say, partner?”

    The avian merely gives a satisfactory squawk before roosting back on his favorite spot: on Bea’s shoulders. See kid, had you just let good old Moriarty just do this from the start everything would'a been done sooner.

    As she started to turn around to vacate the area, a thought occurred to her. But first

    By the time Shirley leaves the Training room proper, she notices a stack of papers lying nearby, her name written on a note.
    Officer Shirley,

    Please find attached the itinerary regarding every summary and detail of every meeting here at the Trainer's School... as per your specifications.

    Warm Regards,
    Theodore

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ~ Outside Santalune City Gym ~

    Planting those notes there would probably give me enough time to do what I need to do in Santalune before Shirley wises up and actually contacts the school personally, she thought to herself, leaving the Gym's premises in a hurry.

    Then again... it might give her the idea she's being watched...?

    ...

    ...

    Nah! I don't think Officer Shirley's THAT paranoid... right?


    She glances at the Darkness Pokemon perched onto her shoulder, who in turn offers a curious stare right back at her, before shrugging.

    Moriarty was keeping an eye out, as usual. Not for any odd strangers this time, but more likely which shop or store sold the most deliciously looking treat for him to sink his taste buds into.

    As Beatrix rushes her way towards the Pokemon Center, she inspects the card more closely...

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    OOC:

    Speaking of, now that more than half the group has received their first badge, any comments or complaints about how the game is going so far?

    Other than that elephant, is there anything particularly enjoyable you'd like to see keep happening? Anything awful I need to stop doing? Is letting everyone split up willy-nilly and do their own thing working out or should I put more effort into plot to force the group to interact with each other more? Is there anything about the system that is still confusing (or is very broken and I haven't noticed it yet)?
    Other than the pacing issues (but that's something I need to get used to again in PbP games), not much, really.
    discrider wrote: »
    Perhaps I should just look at a map of X/Y and pick a likely spot to head out to :P
    This should help out. A handy dandy wiki article on Kalos with all the people and places in it. It also has a map to boot.

    TiamatZ on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 12
    ~ Santalune Pokecenter ~

    Jim and his team cheer on their friends (though Eli seems to also cheer for the bugs attacking Volnoy) as they battle and Jim rushes down to offer his congratulations afterwards, but as soon as he's witnessed them all he heads back to the Pokemon Center to get them healed up. With all three of them sitting on the floor, he offers them a more thorough debriefing of their battle with Samuel.

    "Okay guys, I really think we're getting a good grasp on how we work as a team. Lotty, you tank, Eli, you're the firepower, simple as that! Just, really amazing teamwork, you two. I knew my Trainer's Eye was spot on with both of you!"

    Eli offers a congratulatory "Wii!" to Lotty, who flops around rather vigorously and whose scales suddenly take on a much brighter sheen.

    Jim eyes the change with an air of caution. Is she sick? He's heard rumors of a disease called Pokerus being spread around Pokecenters. "What's wrong, Lotty? You feeling alright?" Jim asks. He opens his Pokedex to give her a quick scan. Something is peculiar indeed, as the 'Dex begins to flash. Jim presses a few buttons to figure out the cause.

    "Huh. What's Marvel Scale?" he asked. He pushes another button. "Wow! Lotty, that's so cool!" He lifts her up into a hug as her flopping subsides. And is it just him, or does she seem a little more... competent?

    Charlotte replaces [Dull] with [Marvel Scale]!

    New Ability:
    Marvel Scale

    When this Pokemon is targeted by a Harassing move, boost Defense by +2.

    Jim's excitement is palpable. "Oh man, we've got to go try this out!" He glances down at his watch. "The others probably won't be ready to leave just yet... let's head out to the road and see if we can find anything interesting! After all, we still need to catch another team mate or two! And if we happen to run into the others, we can always go together." He stands up from the floor and takes a glance at the map of the town on the Pokecenter wall. "Hmm... we already saw all the cool stuff on Route 5. Let's head to the forest! I bet there's lots of cool Pokemon there!" Maybe even the Electric type he needs to complete his trifecta. He calls back Lotty and Eli and marches out to the woods south of town.
    That wasn't me hinting for a Pikachu, Marsh, by the way. No doubt Kay would mock me endlessly for putting such an overexposed Pokemon on my team.

    OOC: Keeping my character/Pokemon stats here for posterity to contain the most recent exp/voltage gains:
    =============
    Name: James "Jim" Veidt
    Class: Junior Trainer
    =============
    Physique: 0
    Knowledge: 1/1
    Mobility: 0
    Network: 2/2
    =============
    Voltage: 4/4
    Inventory: Father's Watch, Weathered Journal
    =============
    Trainer Exp: 16
    =============

    =============
    Name: Elijah "Eli"
    Species: Litwick
    Type: Fire/Ghost
    Exp: 11/41
    =============
    Loyalty: Friendly
    Demeanor: Playful
    Need: Entertainment
    Quirk: Brightens when nervous
    =============
    Weak: Water, Dark, Rock
    Resist: Grass, Fighting, Steel, Normal, Fairy
    =============
    Moves:
    Ember [Ranged/Special/Fire]
    Astonish [Powerful/Special/Ghost]
    Fiery Dance [Special/Boosting (SA)/Fire]
    Shadow Sneak [Special/Priority/Ghost]
    =============
    Stamina: 8
    =============
    HP - 3 At - 2 Df - 3
    Sp - 2 SA - 4 SD - 3
    =============
    Assists: [Burn], [Phasing]
    =============

    =============
    Name: Charlotte "Lotty"
    Species: Feebas
    Type: Water/Normal
    Exp: 12/31
    =============
    Loyalty: Friendly
    Demeanor: Depressive
    Need: Hope
    Quirk: Creative and Organized
    =============
    Weak: Dark, Dragon, Electric, Fighting, Flying, Grass
    Resist: Bug, Fire, Ghost, Ground, Ice, Poison, Psychic, Water
    =============
    Moves:
    Splash [Status/Useless/Water]
    Tackle [Physical/Useless/Normal]
    Flail [Physical/Mobile/Normal]
    Drench [Physical/Harassing (Df)/Water]
    =============
    Stamina: 6
    =============
    HP - 2 At - 2 Df - 2
    Sp - 2 SA - 2 SD - 4
    =============
    Assists: [Swim]
    =============
    Abilities: [Untalented], [Marvel Scale]
    =============

    Terrendos on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ~Santalune - Yesterday?~

    Richter studied the horizon as he walked through the town.
    At the Pokécenter there had a been a sun-tanned jockey who had brought his Rhyhorn in for a heal.
    Apparently there was a race track just a short distance away from here, and Richter could half imagine that he could hear the racers rumbling back and forth.

    The town itself didn't seem to be very big, and before long he found himself out the front of the self-proclaimed 'TRAINERS SCHOOL'.
    Pulling his lab coat to, Richter grimaces somewhat as he marches up to the door.
    'Repetitive unearned book theory', he mutters, feeling however lost and looking for any subject matter worthy of study.

    However, on the second knock, he is taken aback.
    'Ah! You're right on time. Come inside!', an old man beams through the open door.
    'I'm sure the kids will have a fine time listening to all your adventures. And perhaps you'll have a fine time listening to mine.'
    Richter glances a look back at North, who simply shrugs.
    Keyanu is also uncharacteristically quiet.

    Richter creeps in after the retreating man.
    'Ah, I think there's a mistake? I was looking for some information about Kalos. I don't know if your school has any resources I can use...'
    The old man turns around, twinkling.
    'No mistake. And we have the most important resource: Tea. Follow me and I'll introduce you to the kids.'
    Richter falls in line after the man; This might be a long night.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    edited January 21
    @Terrendos Don't forget that when a Pokemon gets Exp (either from a battle, or from a Trainer spending Trainer Exp on them), it increases the denominator as well (ie. I think Eli should be at 12/41 and Lotty should be 12/31).

    Not a huge deal, since I can reverse-engineer the stats either way, but I prefer "[unused points]/[used+unused points]" so I can try and keep everyone similar-ish in total exp.

    @Rawkking Goodguy Naughty using mechanics that no one else knows about.
    Edit: your post is the next one down, by the way.

    ~ Kalos Route 3: Ouvert Way ~ :whistle:
    Jim

    The miraculous brightening of the Lotty's scales seems to have done something for the Feebas' frail confidence, or perhaps Jim's constant state of ebullience is starting to rub off on her. While still a little tatterdemalion around the edges, the brilliance of her new scales give her a rather striking appearance, and it's unlikely any trainers will scoff at the Junior Trainer's evolutionary ambitions if he's getting results like this.

    Furthermore, it seems she's no longer the dullest needle on the Cacnea. While the title of "smartest Feebas" isn't exactly a high bar to reach for, gears long left rusted have started turning behind that shiny visage, and Jim suspects that any attempts to formally train the Fish Pokemon will be more effective from here on out - that is to say, it will have any effect at all. Good times.

    Anywho. The road to Santalune Forest is formally known as Route 3, otherwise called the Ouvert Way. In contrast to the well-manicured gardens, hedges, and smooth, flat gravel pathways of Route 4, Route 3 is a little overgrown. A dirt path, currently a little muddy, meanders past hills and steep ledges, the Ouvert Way getting more overgrown and boasting more and larger trees as it climbs towards the entrance to Santalune Forest, marked by a nearby pond of fresh water.

    It currently being later in the day, it's also somewhat obvious that the Route is a gathering place for the children of Santalune City, at least when school isn't in session. The playful shouts coming from the underbrush speak well of the area's safety, and whatever wild Pokemon are found here are likely to be mild mannered (or at least good at keeping hidden from groups of curious kids).

    Unless he feels any particular need to chat with the children, or explore some of the less-traveled corners of the route, Jim can easily make the short, steep hike up to Santalune Forest in good time, with plenty of daylight remaining.

    ~ Outside Santalune City Gym ~
    Beatrix

    Inspecting the stolen card, Beatrix finds it to be a no-nonsense, matte black item, with business-like white writing. Not the typical choice for a public servant's information, but maybe, given the apparent seriousness of Shirley's charge, she merits something a little different.

    An observation that might have something to it: the card apparently belongs to an Officer Shirley Christenson of the International Police's Intelligence and Reconnaissance Commission - the IIRC. In addition to the name and usual contact info, it also has the IIRC emblem in the corner, a Fearow clutching a telescope in one claw, and a Master Ball in the other.

    ~ Santalune Pokécenter: Yesterday~
    Aleksandr

    Aleksandr can easily find the scheduled battles for his companions. It shouldn't be hard to attend any of them, as they are rather generously spaced out (most likely to allow Samuel time to change out his Pokemon, and technicians to re-jigger the modular arena to new settings).

    Marshmallow on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    ~ Santalune Gym ~
    Isaac

    Approaching the resplendent, green bulk of the Santalune Gym and pushing through the yellow double doors, Isaac is greeted with a large, airy foyer, boasting a few loitering trainers tapping away at Pokedexes, brushing their Pokemon, or chatting in small groups of two or three.

    It seems snazzy uniforms are indeed the order of the day for Gym Students, at least if your idea of 'snazzy' runs towards green jackets and white slacks. The secretary manning the desk, on the other hand, is sporting a smart black blouse with a green ribbon tied neatly around the collar, as well a small, fragile smile of greeting leveled on Isaac.

    The only other adult in the room seems to be wearing some archaic, eastern-styled clothing, and looks to be having some sort of serious chat with a young, severe looking girl while some sort of hovering stump Pokemon floats nearby, looking pleased with itself. Weird.

  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 22
    ~ Kalos Route 3: Ouvert Way ~ :whistle:

    Jim catches the eye of a few of the youngsters, he assumes because they saw his match, and offers a friendly wave to any who approach. Although there is certainly some appeal in finding a more docile Pokemon here among the kiddies, it's probably a wiser decision to explore the woods first. Who knows what sort of cool Pokemon might be taking refuge in the woods before emerging under the cover of darkness? Powerful ones, for sure. And if nothing of interest should appear during their arboreal ambulation, perhaps the children will have left this area and it will have more active wildlife on his return.

    Jim focuses up. He just has a really good feeling that something interesting is about to happen!

    Jim spent 1 Voltage on [Special Encounter]!

    Terrendos on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    Mind your volume.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    7hvcu596soln.png

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    TiamatZ
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 22
    discrider wrote: »
    7hvcu596soln.png

    Marsh:
    Did you forget to do a response to Richter's post, or is that still in the works(?)

    TiamatZ on
    discriderMarshmallow
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    edited January 22
    Wasn't sure if my input was being requested on Richter's post, or if was an ongoing player downtime-ish-y thing that would continue regardless of GM-attention (given that I was not-posting again).

    Thought I asked, but I must have posted from the wrong tab or something because it ain't there that I'm seeing.

    So: I guess from that Agree you want something to do with the Trainer School, @discrider? I'll get on that.

    Marshmallow on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    edited January 22
    ~ Santalune Forest ~ :whistle:
    Jim

    Leaving the friendly children behind, Jim soon enough finds himself passing into the Santalune Forest proper, thick stands of craggy trees rising up around him and crowding out the afternoon sunlight as he pushes further into its depths.

    The canopy never manages to completely block out the light, so the Junior Trainer is treated to a rather nice hike through the dappled glades and tight, meanderingly maze-like pathways of the Forest. It would be very peaceful stroll indeed if the young man weren't concentrating so hard on keeping a lookout for interesting fauna or events to investigate.

    Jim's focus eventually pays off, as he hears a distant, crackling whine, reminiscent of the noise of a tiny electrical motor. He may be onto something here!

    The humming noise slowly grows louder until it's also accompanied by the rustle of leaves and snapping twigs in the undergrowth, and soon enough the cause of the rapidly approaching commotion comes into view.

    :whistle:

    A yellow rodent, a Pikachu if Jim is any judge (and who can't recognize a Pikachu, these days?), darts agilely through the scarce space afforded by the closely spaced trees and coarse bracken, using fallen logs and swishes of its lightning-bolt-shaped tail to propel itself into evasive maneuvers in an attempt to foil whatever's pursuing it.

    Jim needn't wait much longer at all to find out the particulars of that whatever, as into view float - one... two... no, three! - metallic Pokemon, humming with static as they chase their wily quarry. The shiny, high-tech-high-polish appearance of the trio of Magnemite seem out of place in the dim, dingy forest, leading one to wonder if they're actually native to the area, or just passing through...

    Stopping for a moment to take cyclopean aim down the length of one of its screw-like protrusions, one of the Magnemite sends a small bolt of electricity arcing towards the dodging Pikachu, but from the lack of effect, either on the target or its surroundings, it must have been a rather weak shock, so perhaps these Magnemite are simply uncharged and hungry enough to decide to harass one of the local Electric Types enough for it to give them a jolt to feed from. The Pikachu seems far more intent on escaping than obliging them however, though given its scuffed fur and the tiny, bite-mark indents on one of the Magnemite's sturdy shells, at least a few blows must have been traded before the chase began.

    Taking a more direct approach than its companion's Thunder Shock, the one bite-marked Steel Type takes it upon itself to dive at the fleeing Pikachu. A slightly more effective tactic, as the Electric rodent is forced to skid to a stop and change course as the Magnemite tackles the ground ahead of it, throwing up a small explosion of dirt. The rapid change of direction has led the odd game of magnet-cat and mouse to start heading down the path towards Jim and company, what would he like to do about this?

    Wild Pikachu Appeared!
    Wild Magnemite x 3 Appeared!

    Marshmallow on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 23
    BINGO! The young detective thought to herself, her eyes nearly beaming with anticipation.

    The real deal. If it’s a counterfeit, it’s a dang fine one if I do say so myself. After reading every detail she could spot on the card, nothing was standing out to jog her memory. The name of the organization doesn’t sound really familiar, and the symbol doesn't do me any favors either. Could it be some sort of sub division of Interpol, or perhaps another rival investigations Bureau? Nah, A sub division sounds more logical. Maybe Director Emma will be able to make heads or tails out of this.

    Striding towards the center, Beatrix tries to gather her thoughts on the whole matter.

    With the information (and evidence) at hand, I can safely answer the following questions with certainty:
    Who? Officer Shirley Christenson of the International Police's Intelligence and Reconnaissance Commission (via the card me and my partner just…emm… procured)
    Where? Discovered roaming Santalune City, thanks to a tip from one of Director Emma’s friend.
    When? Was sighted a few days ago, once again thanks to Emma’s contacts. Witnesses at the Trainer School confirmed the Officer’s earliest visit three days ago. Gym Leader Samuel has verbally confirmed she has been here at Santalune for at least a week.
    Why? Investigating on supposed thefts and shady dealings, but it turns out she’s looking in on some group of ne’er-do-wells calling themselves the ‘Rival Five’
    How? By conducting “routine check-ins”, and offering presentations for the local school (thanks for those notes, Mr. Theodore), she could pursue leads from the school’s faculty or students or even question them directly. She has also been harassing (?) civilians of non-Kalosian descent (if the confrontation with Gym Leader Samuel was any indication).

    Not only that, but thanks to Officer Shirley, both myself and (soon) Director Emma have particulars on the supposed fifth member of the Rival Five. Beatrix smirks to herself.

    Not a bad haul… for my first assignment. Still…

    Beatrix gazes at her newly received badge. I have a journey to complete.

    She looks back at her partner, who was by now pretty bored with the scenery. You and me, Moriarty. Against the world.

    With nothing left to ponder about, Beatrix hastens her way to the Pokémon Center.

    As her partners were in the hands of the center’s staff, Beatrix spends her time with a local PC, sending every piece of evidence she had gathered from her investigation in the city (including hi-resolution images of the card). Satisfied with her findings, she sends the e-mail, and breathes a sigh of relief when she received confirmation on the delivery. She could call Director Emma, as well, but she decided not to.

    Instead, she figured she could send a message to the Director.
    Hey Director, Deputy here! Sent everything I could find on the ‘target’. Notes, images, papers. You name it. Target also looking in on suspects calling themselves Rival Five, know anything about that? Awaiting further instructions if needed. Signing off.

    P.S. This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

    P.P.S. Just kidding. Don't think these Xtransceivers even have that option.

    P.P.P.S. err... at least I hope not. -_-;

    For the rest of the day, the young girl treated both herself and her partners to some delicious candy and other pleasant foodstuffs the merchant and food stalls she could find. She DID, however, question any of the locals on any other gyms worth visiting, preferably any on route from Santalune City.

    [Spend a Network Token on acquiring any lead on the next possible Gym to visit]

    [End Day 2]

    TiamatZ on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited January 22
    Isaac Emil - [Myth Maniac] - 5/5
    PKMN - [Omen: An Initiation]
    Sierra - 11/11
    Maven - 8/8


    ~Santalune Gym~

    Eight of Cups, Isaac nods to himself upon seeing the pair. It would be arrogant to assume every fortune one draws pertains to yourself. Those two are close, and a younger Isaac took the bullet train to Saffron quite a few times, more than enough to recognize the clothes on the older man well. So they walked away from all they had in Kanto and came here, interesting.

    He notes that Sierra has curled up on a seat a few chairs away from the pair, seeming the epitome of relaxation but sneaking peeks of the pair, particularly the ghost feeding into her general sense of apprehension. Well, best to get the bureaucratic stuff out of the way first.

    "Hello!" Isaac smiles buoyantly at the secretary. "I'd like to take a chance on the gym challenge here, assuming you all aren't too busy."

    Tagging Sierra's [Sneak] assist here.

    Rawkking Goodguy on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Wasn't sure if my input was being requested on Richter's post, or if was an ongoing player downtime-ish-y thing that would continue regardless of GM-attention (given that I was not-posting again).

    Thought I asked, but I must have posted from the wrong tab or something because it ain't there that I'm seeing.

    So: I guess from that Agree you want something to do with the Trainer School, @discrider? I'll get on that.
    If it helps, Richter is looking for any myth or story that he can chase to gain a further grasp on how the world works

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    Marshmallow
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    ~ Kalos Route 3: Santalune Forest ~ :whistle:

    Jim sizes up the situation quickly, as it appears time is of the essence. Three on one is hardly a fair fight! It seems unlikely, but... perhaps a peaceful resolution can be had here, if only there were a third party to help. But where would such a party come from?

    "Aha! I'm a third party!" Jim exclaims, plucking the first Pokeball from his belt. "Okay, Eli, help me intervene and let's get this all straightened out!" Perhaps not the most prudent choice, as Eli specializes more in the creation of shenanigans rather than putting an end to them, but then again, Lotty wouldn't last very long in this particular fight if it did come to blows. At least if the Magnemite are indeed drained, they'll be unlikely to waste more precious energy on shocking Jim.

    The ghostly candle appears with a flash of red light and his characteristically cheerful "Wii!" He takes a look at the quartet of electric types and gives a sidelong glance back to Jim, as if to say, "What do you expect me to do?"

    Jim takes a step between the two parties and indicates that Eli should do likewise. "Excuse me, everyone," he begins. "Let's leave this poor little fellow alone," he says, indicating the mouse. "If you're hungry, I can find you something to eat. There's no need to prod this one."

    Having a spare second while the four Pokemon consider his interruption, he pulls out the Pokedex and takes a quick scan of both. He's quite sure about the Magnemite, but there's just so many electric rodents these days, it never hurts to be sure. While he's at it, he figures it's worth checking to see what exactly Magnemite eat. If it really is just electricity, this may be more complicated than he thought.

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 23
    ~Santalune, A Montage~

    The rest of the evening, and the following day is spent in training and observation - Aleksandr attends each other gym challenge to watch, noting both the battling style of his companions and their 'mons, and the various Pokémon Samuel works with each time. He fits in a couple of warmup bouts with other Gym members, seeing how Sila handles themself, and discusses a training regime with Volnoy to bring out the serious Emanation Pokémon's strong points, and shore up his weak points. The Sinnoh trainer makes full use of the Santalune Gym facilities to put his trio through their paces, taking special care to add elements of fun and games for Borzoi, while assigning Sila more serious, concrete aims to give them goals and inspiration.

    After a some sparring with Volnoy, Aleksandr identifies Sila's reactive nature, and aims to capitalise upon that, channeling the Riolu's tendency to observe and react into a new technique to use in battle. Upon seeing an opening, the small Fighting type's intuition and instinct allows them to strike at a point the opponent subconciously protects. It seems that being able to perceive Aura gives a 'mon something of an advantage in battle.

    Borzoi, on the other hand, seems to be shaping up to be a real brawler. Going over the TMs in his possession, Aleksandr decides that one is perfect for her scrappy style. She never seems afraid to get really stuck into a fight, even when she's at a type disadvantage. To help with this, she is assigned some stamina and endurance training, to help her last through a grindy matchup.

    While the Rockruff and Riolu train together, Volnoy practices some of his finesse techniques, applying his new command of Ice Blade to his natural ability to flood the area with water. As he gains confidence with this, he starts to work the environment into his attacks, utilising his speed and precision to further push the envelope in both wet and icy situations.

    Sila learned Follow Up! [Physical/Fighting/Focus (Atk)] Aleksandr spent 1 Trainer XP! (9 Remain)
    Sila gained HP 3! Aleksandr spent 3 Trainer XP! (6 Remain)
    Sila gained SpAtk 2! Aleksandr spent 2 Trainer XP! (4 Remain)

    Borzoi learned Bulk Up! [Status/Fighting/Boosting (Atk/Def)] Borzoi spent 1 XP! (4 Remain)
    Borzoi gained Spd 3! Borzoi spent 3 XP! (1 Remains)
    Borzoi gained SD 3! Borzoi spent 1 XP! (0 Remain) Aleksandr spent 2 Trainer XP! (2 Remain)

    Volnoy learned Swift Swim! (Using a Water type move grants +1 Speed, to a maximum of +4. Total immersion in water boosts this to +4 instantly.)
    Volnoy gained HP 3! Volnoy spent 3 XP! (2 Remain)
    Volnoy learned the [Chill] assist! Volnoy spent 2 XP! (0 Remain) Aleksandr spent 1 Trainer XP! (1 Remains)

    ~Santalune Forest~

    "Maybe we can find a Fletchling here, a Fire type would be a good addition, do you think?" Aleksandr asks, as the group hike into the woods.

    Volnoy answers with a scoff, and waves Aleksandr's suggestion off. It's obvious what he thinks of Fire types. Borzoi licks him, and butts her head against the Buizel's shoulder with her considerable strength.

    Sila, on the other hand, takes their trainer's suggestion to heart. They scamper ahead into a clearing, look around the woods, then lower their head while expanding their awareness to encompass emanations of intent.

    "If all we find is bugs, Sila can chase them off," Aleksandr goes on to suggest. "They could do with some field training. Volnoy, watch Sila closely, and tell me what you think of their moves if we end up in a battle, da?"

    Meanwhile, Al sends off a few quick texts to the people he has in his Pokétch - 'Good morning. Where is everyone? Are there group plans, or are we doing our own things today? --Al.'
    Went with the version of the ability you outlined, Marsh. Let's see how it works out! Also, been meaning to ask. What does the [Aura Power] assist do, exactly? Short-term battle precog, empathic stuff? We must know!

    Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Marshmallow
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    edited January 23
    This basically.

    [Aura Power] seems like a perception-based skill. Users are difficult to hide from (because they can see your aura) and difficult to trick (because they can see your aura).

    Aura Power - Generally associated with Fighting Types, a Pokemon with this Assist can detect the colorful, flickering auras of light that extend from the bodies of all living beings. This light passes through slim physical barriers (such as blindfolds, or cardboard boxes), and can be casually examined to deduce the broad intentions and general character of its source (benign vs. hostile, cool dude vs. kind of a prick). Riolu and Lucario are both known for their ability to channel their own feelings of hostility into energy attacks using Aura Power. Can be effectively combined with [Psy Power] to produce powerful effects related to vision, energy, and emotion.

    Marshmallow on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    That was straight up the best scene in Emissary. Peach not giving a SHIT about explosions with her umbrella out was a close second.

    Looks like I intuited correctly, and asking Sila to go find stuff would be effective. They're going to be a ridiculously good infiltrator/sneakysort, too.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Marshmallow
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    edited January 25
    @discrider not sure if this is moving too fast for your taste, figured I've kept you waiting, so getting things going to the "myth or story that he can chase" sooner over later might be welcome. Let me know and we could roll back to cover the kids thing more if you want to do something with that.

    ~ Trainers' School ~
    Richter

    While the children fawn over the Mad Scientist's two Pokemon, Richter and the old man are finally able to take some time away from the exhausting work of corralling excitable children to take some tea and talk of other things.

    "So," the man, a teacher by the name of Marlowe, begins amiably, pouring a hot mug of tea for the two of them. "You mentioned you wanted some information about Kalos?"

    Meanwhile, North could be asleep, but maybe some of the children are still excited by the immobile 'pet rock' phenomena. Keyanu, shockingly or perhaps worryingly, seems to be unbelievably well-behaved around the kids. Whistling soothing or catchy tunes, and projecting light for the children to make shadow puppets with. Absolutely no shrieking or flashing at all. Nice for a change, but weird.

    Just as well though. We wouldn't want to give any kids a seizure, now would we?

    "Kalos is a rich, vibrant region, and the Trainers' School one of its preeminent academies" Marlowe continues. "What kind of info were you hoping to find? Geography? History? Or perhaps a youngster like yourself is more interested in the current technology found in places like the Power Plant or the Pokeball Factory?"

    ~ Santalune Forest ~
    Aleksandr

    After a few moments meditation, Sila opens its eyes and gestures for Aleksandr and the others to follow. A consummate professional, the Riolu ducks and dives from cover to cover, occasionally planting its back against a tree trunk to give a series of complex, and largely inscrutable, hand commands to the others. Simply quietly following the feisty Pokemon seems to fit the bill, however.

    As it begins to dawn on the Ace Trainer that Sila seems to be really good at navigating the cluttered forest, like, spooky good, the Riolu drops prone and crawls forward through the brush, gesturing back to indicate Aleksandr should do the same.

    Not that it matters overmuch yet, as their quarry is easily seen some distance ahead, preening itself on a branch. A reddish-orange-and-grey-plumed Fletchling, that has not yet noticed your stealthy-ish approach. If Aleksandr doesn't make some move to conceal himself as Sila suggested, it's likely he'll be noticed as soon as the Flying Type stops grooming its feathers into their proper placement.

    Wild Fletchling Appeared!

    ~ Santalune Forest ~ :whistle:
    Jim

    The Junior Trainer enacts his Cunning Plan™, releasing Eli and bringing up his Pokedex to scan the approaching Pokemon in anticipation of working things out friendly-like which will totally go off without a hitch.

    Terrendos wrote:
    If it had been a Pichu, it'd have been no contest. That stupid little jerk is like the platonic ideal of adorable

    EK8DgYU.png Yeah, cool. We can do that.

    It's Pichu!

    As the 'Dex loads up its data, Jim is surprised to see that the electric rodent is, in fact, actually a Pichu. Perhaps it's the dim lighting that lead him to mistake the coloring, or it could be because he was comparing its diminutive size to the magnemite, which all seem strangely small for the species - barely any larger than a full-sized Pokeball.

    Also, they don't have mouths, so I'm not sure what else they could possibly eat than electricity. Feel free to offer them a poffin or berry, I guess, and see what happens.

    Anyway.

    While the Magnemite are brought up short by the sudden appearance of a Trainer and his accompanying Pokemon, the Pichu seems to have no such hesitance, and seems to instead see Jim as a fortuitous distraction, or perhaps a human shield from any more attempts to zap or tackle from the hovering Magnemite.

    The Pichu charges Jim. If he doesn't resist or evade, and Eli doesn't otherwise intervene, it's likely going to climb him 'Shadow of the Colossus' style for the added height and cover (and the psychological advantage of 'if you try to hit me, you might hit the trainer instead').

    ~ Santalune Gym ~
    Isaac

    "Certainly," the woman replies to Isaac, cheerily. "We can scan the Pokemon you plan to compete with right now, and get you scheduled in. We have one last evening slot available if you wanted a match right away, but there are slots tomorrow, or later in the week, if you want more time to prepare. You also need to choose what type of battle you are interested in - a singles match, or a doubles."

    Meanwhile, Sierra rests uneasily on her seat, so near to the obvious familial discord of the father-daughter pair, as well as the wound-up, little ball of malice, Ghost Type that's feeding on the negativity. It's probably for the best that she's currently successfully flying below the radar, as it doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want to get involved in either way.

    ~ Santalune City ~
    Beatrix

    While shopping for snacks, the Junior Detective receives a text.
    Emma wrote:
    Wow, this is amazing! You got all this together that fast? Working this hard, you're not going to have any time left to challenge the Gym!

    Anyway, I'll sort through it and see what I can find. From the looks of things it seems like this Interpol lady is legit though. Sort of a shame, it would have been nice to nab a phony...

    Go ahead and take a break, you deserve it! I'll check in if I find anything you could help with.

    Re: Exploding Xtransceivers - If Clemont offers you an upgrade, politely refuse.

    Questioning the locals about nearby Gyms get Beatrix a few opinions. Clemont of course is the Electric Type Gym Leader of Lumiose City, where the group started out. The modular, holographic arena that Samuel used in each of their Gym matches with him is a Clemont invention, an early prototype, so if they wanted a similarly flashy battle they could backtrack a bit.

    Alternately, a lengthy trip across Routes 22 and 21, past Victory Road, would take you to Snowbelle City, where the Ice Type Gym leader, Wulfric, resides. It would be quite a trek, but worth it if you had your heart set on an Ice Type. The only other place in Kalos to catch one would be near Dendemille Town.

    Finally, one questionee thoughtfully recalls that there's a new Gym in the League this season, replacing the recently retired one in Shalour City. A short jaunt through Santalune Forest would take one to Aquacorde, a rapidly growing town thanks to the new ferry that runs along the river, as well as its proximity to the booming Vaniville Town to the south. The Gym there is, naturally, focused on Water Types.

    Marshmallow on
    KayTerrendosTiamatZ
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I'm gonna guess that remaining stealthy and letting Sila POWER UP with Swords Dance and Steel Defense is most likely not an option here? Aleksandr can spend a mobility token to remain hidden, I think.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    I'm gonna guess that remaining stealthy and letting Sila POWER UP with Swords Dance and Steel Defense is most likely not an option here?
    Quite, because that would be unsportsmanlike.

    Kay wrote: »
    Aleksandr can spend a mobility token to remain hidden, I think.
    We could do a trial run of a surprise round, if that's an acceptable compromise. ie. Get one free turn to do as you please without an enemy reprisal, and then go into usual speed comparisons for round 2 and thereafter.

    Up to you if you think that warrants a token spend. I'm fine with carrying over the narrative of initially being hidden. I only mentioned continued hiding in case Aleksandr wanted a minute or two to Pokedex scan and/or scope out the Pokemon further, perhaps with an eye towards making a social advance rather than showing fight. If you're throwing down something or another now then lets rock.

  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I would throw down but it is almost dinnertime and I wouldn't want to ruin my appetite. :9

    (I shall maek post a little later this eeeeevening.)

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    ~ Santalune Forest ~

    Following the Riolu is simple enough for someone with Aleksandr's agility. Volnoy, being shorter, manages to duck under the low-hanging foliage with far more dignity. Borzoi, on the other hand. She would be likely to just bolt off ahead, barking happily, but her trainer recognises the play-signs, and manages to snag her by the scruff and shush her calmly.

    Aleksandr spends a mobility token to remain stealthy, despite Borzoi's best efforts.

    "Sssh, girl," he insists, and sensing the importance of the sneakiness, the Puppy Pokémon quietens her boistrousness. The trio then follow Sila's directions deftly.

    Upon spotting the Fletchling, Aleksandr glances back at Sila in surprise, before settling into a hiding position. A look towards Volnoy is rewarded with a shrug, and Al pulls out his Pokétch to refresh his memory. Firstly, he checks Sila's entry, noting the 'Aura Power' assist, then scans through the Riolu and Lucario entries briefly. Then, he attempts to scan the Fletchling, or at least pull up the info on the fire-bird. "What do you think, Sila," he whispers. "Does the Fletchling have the right temperament to join us without a fight, or will we need to..." he pauses, then taps one of the Pokéballs on his belt.
    A bit of a compromise, I guess! Gonna have to pick up Intuit for Sila ASAP and just have an amaaaaazing recon-mon, it'll be great.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Dubo DubonRegistered User regular
    edited January 25
    ~ Santalune Forest ~ :whistle:
    Aleksandr

    The Riolu gives Aleksandr an odd look, as if to say 'I did my job finding it. You're the talky-talky decision maker here, not me'. It might also be 'say what now?' given that the two don't really have enough background to communicate all that meaningfully yet, Aura Powers notwithstanding.

    Luckily, the 'Dex page on Fletchling can fill things in bit. The Tiny Robin Pokemon is well known for being an amiable, easily trained Pokemon... that is, after it's acquainted with a Trainer. In the wild they are known for being outrageously territorial, and even the most timid will aggressively assault those they assume to be trespassing. While it seems like the Pokemon's traditionally mild nature could be taken advantage of if you approach it just right, it may be simpler and easier to just challenge it outright, and negotiate only after proving a position of strength.

    While Aleksandr gets a look from his Riolu, and researches, the Fletchling wraps up its preening, and proceeds to give warning to all that might think about sneaking into its territory with a rather pretty, warbling song of chirps and arpeggio trilling. According to the Pokedex, this is quite normal. Fletchling tend to have quite beautiful singing voices.

    Marshmallow on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    ~ Kalos Route 3: Santalune Forest ~ :whistle:

    Jim balks at the Pichu's response to his... well, to even call it a "plan" would be overwhelmingly generous. Not being especially quick or athletic, his response to the minute creature scampering up his leg and up to the top of his head is to shiver and try very hard not to panic.

    "Okay, see?" he asks the Magnemite. "We've got something of an arrangement here. Let's nobody do anything hasty, huh? It would be a real shame if any humans, like, say, me, got hurt." Tempted as he is to try and coerce the mouse down from his head, the Pokedex has just reminded him that Pichu can have trouble controlling their electricity at the best of times. If he were to take one of his comparatively-large hands and blindly start groping for the creature, he's likely to regret it.

    "Let's all just take a deep breath," he says, as much to the Pichu as to the Magnemite. "Hey, I've got food. Anybody hungry?" He carefully drops his backpack, kneels down (while making sure to keep his head level and not disrupt his passenger any more than necessary), and pulls out a small package of general-purpose Pokemon kibble. No trainer would go anywhere without at least a spare meal's worth. It may not be as specialized as a blended berry concoction or fortified pastry, but it is tasty and nutritious. Having no bowl, he pours a handful out onto the ground in front of the Magnemite, despite their lack of obvious mouths. He takes a few pieces in his hand and holds them up to his forehead where the mouse can see and smell them. Perhaps that will convince it to abandon its lofty perch? And you know what they say: A Pichu in the hand is worth two in the hair... or something.
    Gonna go switch on Pokemon Sun and see what it looks like when you feed a Magnemite a Poke Bean.

    discrider
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited January 26
    Isaac Emil - [Myth Maniac] - 5/5
    PKMN - [Omen: An Initiation]
    Sierra - 11/11
    Maven - 8/8


    ~Santalune Gym~

    "Just one slot left? I got here just in time! Yes, sign me up for this evening please, I'll be using two pokemon in a double battle."

    After finishing signing up at the desk, Isaac picks up and cuddles Sierra, blowing her inconspicuousness right out of the water. He turns to the pair.

    "Well this is absolutely, completely not my business, " Isaac ventures, despite plainly choosing to interrupt them anyways, "but when I'm at a mental impasse I view a fortune." he reveals his poke tarot deck. "Sometimes it helps me decide, sometimes it gives me an entirely new idea! Maybe it would help you two decide a sort of resolution to go forward together?"

    Rawkking Goodguy on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 26
    Beatrix – P [][] /K [] /M- /N[][] / V [][]
    Moriarty – 8/8
    Vance - 8/8


    -Santalune City-

    The sun’s earliest rays of light were just peering out of the horizon by the time Beatrix made it back to the Pokémon Center. Thanks to yesterday's gym battle (and the ensuing training of the night before), she had to skip her daily morning exercise routine in order to prepare herself for said match. A matter that she rectified today, by doubling the distance she normally jogged.

    Vance insisted he ran the full length as well, not wanting to feel like he was slacking off, but also to follow the standards of his current ‘role model’. He managed to keep up with her, insomuch as maintaining her within his sights (which was a pleasant surprise to the young woman). Vance may not be as quick as the Murkrow, but the Pancham was robust and determined. Beatrix knew this kind of training was not about speed, but rather, the matter of endurance. She believed this kind of exercise would invigorate the Playful Pokémon’s body, making him all the hardier for his efforts.

    Vance gained DEFENSE 4! Vance spent 4 XP! (7 Remain)
    Vance gained HP 4! Vance spent 4 XP! (3 Remain)

    What WAS more surprising to Beatrix, was that Moriarty was actually not goofing off like he usually did most mornings. Instead, the Murkrow was actually trying out simple and complicated aerial movements, flexing and flapping his wings at irregular intervals. It was almost as if Moriarty was actually… training.

    What's he trying to do?

    At first, his numerous attempts seem to fail, causing him to cry out repeatedly. This got to the point where it erupted to an ear-splitting crescendo.

    Much to the dismay of angry, grumpy citizens waking up from the unbearable noise. Many threatened to call the local constabulary on her, while one so much as half drowsily threw out an old boot from his window, yelling something about ‘that darn Purrloin's at it again’ before closing the window, presumably to go back to bed. Still, if Moriarty can replicate that, Beatrix believed it could prove useful in the coming battles ahead…

    Moriarty learned Screech [Status, Harass [DEF], Normal]! Moriarty spent 1 XP! (9 Remain)

    The fruit of his labors eventually paid off though, when the Darkness Pokémon managed to whip the winds around him, forming a gust of wind that ripped off the bark of a nearby tree effortlessly.

    Feeling himself self-satisfied, the Murkrow proceeds to glide across the city street, gusting any tree and foliage (as well as knocking down any poor, unfortunate potted plant placed on an open windowsill) with his attacks. The young detective was pleased of his attempts to get better. Sure... he won’t stop forest fires with his newly found ability, but it’s a start.

    Still, she wondered what caused this sudden change. Was it the gym battle from yesterday? It was a total slug-fest, and Moriarty isn't that hardy as Vance was when standing toe to toe.

    Or, maybe he was just releasing all that pent up energy he had gained from overindulging on candy yesterday and last night…

    Nonetheless, she was glad that Moriarty was taking some measure of initiative.

    Moriarty learned [Gust] assist! Moriarty spent 3 XP! (6 Remain)
    Moriarty learned Gust [Special, Ranged, Flying]! Moriarty spent 1 XP! (5 Remain)
    Moriarty gained SPECIAL ATTACK 3! Moriarty spent 3 XP! (2 Remain)

    In addition, she was also using the newest Technical Machine to its full effect, teaching her partners ways to increase their offensive potential. For Vance, she taught him how to store energy, and release it on his next physical strike for maximum damage. As for Moriarty, Bea remembered that odd Bidoof from Prof. Sycamore’s Lab from a few days ago. Believing she reproduced such a move, she gives it to the Murkrow, hoping that it should help enhance the avian’s ability to boost his new gusting power…

    Vance learned Focus Energy [Status, Focus (ATK), Fighting]! Vance spent 1 XP! (2 Remain)
    Moriarty learned Nasty Plot [Status, Focus (SP ATK), Dark]! Moriarty spent 1 XP! (1 Remain)

    By the time the sun was rising out of its stupor, Beatrix had a nice shower and breakfast under her belt.

    On her way, she reread the section she wrote last night before heading to bed:
    In a dream, our heroine stood humbled (but proud) in front of the Bug Wizard. Defeated, he had nothing of value to offer, but merely his gratitude. But his subjects showed her a junction, clearly pointing her towards a new path. In one direction, she saw a rumbling thunderstorm over a city of glass and stone. In the other, a looming mountain. More ice than mountain, it's ridges sharp, and the blizzard winds just as keen, cold and unforgiving. Lastly, the third road led to raging falls, churning it's water, before being sucked in by the whirlpool beneath it. It was clear each path was hazardous, but would offer her a means of bettering herself. The choice would be up to our heroine...

    Hmm, a bit TOO over dramatic...even for me, she thought to herself. Might need to rewrite that. Still, as it stands, my team cannot handle an Ice or Electric gym. Perhaps that cave near Route 22 (as shown on the map) might give me an answer to this dilemma. Then there's also that racetrack marked on the Route 22 section of the map... Rhyhorn racing? Might look into this.

    She also noticed Emma's message. She responds:
    Gym battle done yesterday!

    Managed 2 get through!

    Bug Badge get!

    Gotta give props 2 partners, did most of the work.

    Should be able to see match off Pokemon League Official Channel or stream sites.

    Deputy, signing off!

    P.S. Clemont sounds dangerous.

    Followed by an attached image of her and her two mons, each one grabbing the badge by it's sides in unison.

    Satisfied, she makes her way to Route 22, hoping to find another partner to bolster her team...

    OOC:
    Not sure where's a good place to start with to look for a Ground/Rock mon. Maybe a Rhyhorn at/near the race track, or try her luck at the cave near Victory Road (for a Roggenrola or Onix [much more rarer and even hazardous I reckon])?

    Might follow Terr's lead and throw a Voltage on [Special Encounter] out there if needed.

    TiamatZ on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    ~ Santalune Forest ~

    Aleksandr tilts his head as the Fletchling begins to sing, then gestures towards Sila. "Let us take it by surprise, and Swords Dance while it recovers, then hit it with a Quick Attack, Sila. Given the temperament of these birds, they should attempt to defend their territory. Then we can see where things go from there," he tells the Riolu in a low voice. Volnoy offers a nod, and a similar gesture towards the Emanation Pokémon - he understands when to let someone else try their skill.

    Borzoi just wriggles, wags her tail, and does her very, very best to keep her muzzle shut. The Sinnoh youth rubs behind her ears to help calm the Rockruff, or at least distract her to some degree.

    Buizel and young man glance at each other for a moment, then nod slightly. The unspoken agreement there is clear - if things get out of hand, Volnoy can probably finish the deal with a long range Water Pulse.

    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
Sign In or Register to comment.