As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] thread: Do my best!

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    FE: Warriors is just a Fire Emblem game with Musou/Dynasty Warriors combat.

There aren't as many supports as Awakening or Fates, but it's a pretty fun romp.

The FE weapon triangle is implemented really well and the Musou systems were meshed in really nicely to FE's.

It really helps that you can switch between up to four characters on the fly and direct all of your side's FE heroes to attack specific enemy units. It is not aa hectic as some of the other Warriors games where you are the only competent hero on the field.

I don't think it's possible to actually screw up a character as everyone can eventually learn every trait.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    FE: Warriors is just a Fire Emblem game with Musou/Dynasty Warriors combat.
    Exactly

I'll definitely give it a try, though... tonight.

100+ orbs, 20 grey characters, only one of whom was not a repeat, and none of whom are 5*, let alone the prince of soup. This is why I refuse to spend money on Heroes, my luck is abysmal enough that I could end up spending serious amounts of money to obtain the characters I desire.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Update: my Effie has a bad nature (+SPD/-ATK)

I'm going to make her into a deadly Effernaut anyway

All this means is she can bench press one mountain quickly instead of two.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    oh hey, it's time for another 800-man popularity contest for (actually pretty good, mostly) gacha costumes

and the winners from last time aren't up for a repeat

I'm looking forward to the inevitable victors, bearded hector and camilla from wyborn's fanfiction

• Options
    Ooh, awesome.

I wonder how Echoes’ release since Heroes’ launch will affect matters! (No guesses whom I voted for...)

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Gotta vote Hector top to bottom again in spite of the fact that I don't play this

...also how do you know about that

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Gotta vote Hector top to bottom again in spite of the fact that I don't play this

...also how do you know about that

know about

what
    pretty sure it got linked here at some point, though maybe by a big fan instead of you

i can edit that (and this) out if you want

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Nah it's cool, I've never made a secret of the fact that I wrote a fanfic, I was just kinda startled that the specific piece had actually been linked to me

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Also now that everyone's had time to let it settle: how's Shadows of Valentia? How does it compare to the past couple FEs in terms of its gameplay, and also its writing/designs and all

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Also now that everyone's had time to let it settle: how's Shadows of Valentia? How does it compare to the past couple FEs in terms of its gameplay, and also its writing/designs and all

I liked it a lot. It's definitely a throwback, but I enjoyed the presentation values and liked the characters. The writing was an improvement over Fates, at least.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'd have to say I liked it.

The writing was very much old school FE which I enjoyed. The graphics and design was pretty good too. Also having real voice acting was cool.

And while its gameplay deviates from standard FE in some ways it still works and isn't that unfamiliar (I also liked that spells cost HP instead of being tied to items, made me use them more).

My biggest complaint is that I felt dungeons don't really work for the series and while most were short they still came up enough to annoy me.

As far as how I would rate it I don't know. It has this weird thing of being a mix of old and new (makes sense being a remake and all) while also being pretty different on its own as its built more like a standard JRPG, flow wise.

But overall I'll say I liked it and it can be beat in like 40 hours, so its a bit more compact than the newer stuff.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Yeah the biggest thing about Echoes that was great is it's short. Not that I don't like putting dozens upon dozens of hours into an FE game (fuck, I have 100+ hours in FE Warriors alone), but one that can be wrapped up in a weekend or two was pleasant change of pace. It didn't out stay it's welcome.

• Options
    The voice acting elevated the writing even when the writing wasn’t great. Berkut’s lines when written read as very generic bad-guy, hokey at times, and mediocre at best. His VA nailed it (and then some!) and made his scenes actually really enjoyable.

All the voice acting was decent, though. No one was awful.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    (I also liked that spells cost HP instead of being tied to items, made me use them more).

Me too! I not only actually used all the spellcasters, I used them a lot. I hope that mechanic returns in the future!

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

The dialog is strong shades of Final Fantasy XII in places. It’s my favorite 3DS Fire Emblem localization so far.

The character design is more grounded than other games. They’re mostly sensible and objectively good.

The gameplay was simple but solid. It holds up remarkably well. Using HP to cast spells is excellent; I wouldn’t mind seeing that mechanic return in a future game. The maps were easily the weakest link; there’s not a ton of variety.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

I liked it a lot. It's definitely a throwback, but I enjoyed the presentation values and liked the characters. The writing was an improvement over Fates, at least.

The writing in Warriors is an improvement over Fates.

• Options
    The maps in Echoes are sometimes frustrating from a gameplay perspective but are more... realistic in terms of narrative.

Fates’ maps were fun and great from a puzzle perspective but the dragon veins and most of the layouts made very little sense in terms of the story. Echoes’ fortresses actually resemble fortresses, for example.

The fan base for Echoes is virtually non-existent is my main complaint. Fates and Awakening still receive daily awesome fan art and merchandise. There’s next to nothing for Echoes. My collection is so paltry.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The maps are just too big, and you end up revisiting them too many times

• Options
    gaiden is like the spiritual...predecessor? to sacred stones in a lot of ways, so i definitely had fun/a weird time seeing the stuff that inspired one of my favorite games get a modern remake

at times it definitely felt a little too shackled to the original game - map design was a little bland, the dungeons were a problem stones already fixed, sometimes the story, uh, makes very 90s' video game leaps in logic (why wouldn't our secret base be in a literal tomb overrun with monsters) but overall i had a real good time

the soundtrack is probably among my favorite game music ever? It's super good. And I really love how they handled party members - it was pretty smart to divide the supports from the backstory and base camp conversations, that cut down on the awkwardness that often results from the whole "optional character development doesn't make it into the main story" problem in rpgs

also the rewind mechanic was extremely good

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

It's got some good maps (I, personally, loved Archer Fortress), but Echoes is a pretty faithful remake of Gaiden and so still has a bunch of Gaiden jank.

Like, is a wide open plain with about three enemy cavaliers really a necessary battle? Again?
    Also, in Celica's route where she's willingly heading to Duma's tower to consider Jedah's offer, the enemies probably should have been Imperial troops trying to stop her instead of the Duma Faithful constantly showing up to undermine whatever trust Celica might've had in Jedah. But that's more of a story nitpick.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular

It's got some good maps (I, personally, loved Archer Fortress), but Echoes is a pretty faithful remake of Gaiden and so still has a bunch of Gaiden jank.

Like, is a wide open plain with about three enemy cavaliers really a necessary battle? Again?
    Also, in Celica's route where she's willingly heading to Duma's tower to consider Jedah's offer, the enemies probably should have been Imperial troops trying to stop her instead of the Duma Faithful constantly showing up to undermine whatever trust Celica might've had in Jedah. But that's more of a story nitpick.

There were some really bad swamp maps on Celica's route but overall I really liked Echoes, I think they did a much better job of delivering on a remake than Shadow Dragon's rather lifeless port.

• Options
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    the soundtrack is probably among my favorite game music ever? It's super good.

Agreed. So, so good.

I don’t recall the maps being repetitive unless we’re talking about the dungeon maps? The overworld maps are generally played just once.

My main complaint with the game is some of the best supports are hidden in the DLC.

• Options
    archer fortress might have been the worst map in the game if my leon hadn't gotten some absurdly good level-ups- it turned into him lounging in the shade of like, that one tree while he picked off every man behind the gates one by one

actually nuibaba's hideout on hard was probably the worst, i'm not sure i could have dealt with that if silque hadn't learned how to summon infinite ninja ghosts at exactly the right moment

kind of a weird power for a holy woman to pick up but i'm not complaining

• Options
    Nuibaba's map was the worst for me, too, although I grudgingly respect it.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    the soundtrack is probably among my favorite game music ever? It's super good.

Agreed. So, so good.

I don’t recall the maps being repetitive unless we’re talking about the dungeon maps? The overworld maps are generally played just once.

My main complaint with the game is some of the best supports are hidden in the DLC.

I saw the same overworld maps several times due to the roaming baddies that spawn periodically.

• Options
    argh, i'm actually super into this next heroes update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7IFtehU2cc
    an·am·ne·sis
    ˌanəmˈnēsis/
    noun

recollection, in particular.
    the remembering of things from a supposed previous existence (often used with reference to Platonic philosophy).

I guess we're getting some blatant alternate history characters now? Which is kind of, sure, duh, in a gacha. But also

a setting that already establishes multiple timelines and how dark magic allows foreknowledge of possible future events is a pretty good lead-in for a Route C that didn't exist in the actual game, especially one where the protagonist becomes aware on some level of the other routes

also it kind of feels like they're nodding to the glitch in that game that let characters (who shouldn't be able to) use dark magic, which is goofy

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

The writing in Warriors is an improvement over Fates.

Is a lack of writing an improvement over something? I kid; some of the supports in Warriors are pretty enjoyable. The main story is pretty much bog standard for a FE game though.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Talking about valentia i like it and I'm most of the way through I just hate the roaming enemies on the map cause if they ambush me I don't get to set my troops up so they can often kill the weakest character on the first turn and it is very annoying

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I remember completing the archer fortress map on no-grind hard and feeling like a boss, then I wandered back into roaming enemies and was utterly annihilated, like come on, really

• Options
    like last year, there's a halfway point update on the heroes popularity poll

a lot of characters who already got an alt seem to have plunged off the face of the earth, but camilla fans are really gunning for that fourth outfit

marth continues to suffer for his multiple appearances, rip

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Ike, Lyn, Roy, and Lucina were ineligible this year. But it looks like Nino's trailing! :bigfrown:

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Haven't played this game in forever. Good to see the top tier never changes.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Who the hell likes Ephraim? Sacred Stones is my favorite FE, but I don't see his appeal! Glad to see Reinhardt doing so well, but he's not quite there yet.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I keep voting for Sumia because I'm still cranky she's not in the game

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Who the hell likes Ephraim? Sacred Stones is my favorite FE, but I don't see his appeal! Glad to see Reinhardt doing so well, but he's not quite there yet.

Trump supporters do, if I go by SF members

Glad to see Takumi holding strong in the top 10

Wtf is Kliff doing in the top 20? Like, I really like Kliff’s design and he was my top-performing unit in Echoes, but he has one support and no plot dialogue at all; he lacks any kind of relevance at all in the game. Of all the male Echoes characters to reach the top 20...

And Selkie? Her placing seems really odd!

Janson on
  • Options
    Trump supporters do, if I go by SF members

Ha, hahaha.... WHAT!? Is this a bit or is reality a whole lot weirder than I thought it was???

Also I'm guessing characters who aren't in the game are actually getting a boost so that's probably for the best. Although I seem to recall some weird choices in last year's results, especially once we got to 11th-20th place... But I may not be remembering correctly.

• Options

Trump supporters do, if I go by SF members !
    augh

...if I had to guess, Kliff is probably getting a lot of support because he's the only starting member of Team Alm that isn't in the game yet? Gotta keep the pals together.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The Trump thing is totally true. It’s ridiculous, but true.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I have very diligently voted Hector every day this round

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I'm deeply saddened that nephenee isn't even in the top 20

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I voted for Takumi mostly because Rachel asked me to.