Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Gencon turns 50 this year.

Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
This August 17-20, Gen con turns the big 5-0.
giphy.gif
Anybody going to this mother of all gaming cons? I know my sweet butt I am.

I have my 4 day passes, event tickets, Star Trek cosplay costume....so ready for it.

And They might be Giants are playing there on Thursday night.

See you there!
813a0f423a287db8a0a357f87528683d.jpg

dragon-trouble-0290e8da600925abe281ef3c0f81799b9c6a3811d2a39b015fb1b5a677dcd15c.png

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
Georgia O'Keeffe
Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

• KetarKetar Lacks the basic intelligence required for pretty much everythingRegistered User regular
    I'll be there with a friend. Didn't get a hotel in the downtown area again, which sucks, but the lower rate farther away can be used to rationalize more game purchases I suppose.

I was going to see TMBG, until I eventually remembered that I saw them in college and it wasn't a great show. More gaming time instead :)

• PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    edited June 10
    Something to look into is the parking services that'll let you book ahead and reserve/guarantee you a spot. I think one was advertised in a recent newsletter... Big Ten? They're down by the stadium but they have a shuttle that runs to the downtown hotels.

Could totally save you some headaches. Price wasn't bad, too.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
  • KetarKetar Lacks the basic intelligence required for pretty much everythingRegistered User regular
    I did that for parking last year. Good option, but a pain for taking purchases to your car - the shuttles going back to the lot almost always had crowds waiting for them and I always ended up just walking. I paid a bit more for a spot in a lot much closer this time so that I can go back and forth easily.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I'm going for the first time this year, and I'm very excited!

I'm a little confused about the ticketing process for games--does the money I pay go to the GMs? Is it supposed to incentivize me to show up on time, because I've put money down? Because honestly, coming from smaller gaming cons, the main thing its doing is keeping me from signing up for games (because I don't want to spend my money on a potentially bad experience).

I've got some panels I'm signed up for which I'm really excited about, plus some special events and friends I get to see--so it'll be fun no matter what I end up signing up for.

Seriously tempted by the TMBG concert--I've seen them I think five or six times now, and I've never left one of their shows disappointed.

• AthenorAthenor Who needs lions when you have a battlecruiser? Registered User regular
    I'll be going. Splitting a hotel room with 2 other couples (I'll be taking the air bed) and luckily it is downtown!

And hopefully, tomorrow I'll get tickets to the whole reason I've been wanting to go for the last 2-3 years!

iLaXVZ7.png
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    I'm blogging about my experiences purging my toy collection... read about it here!
    PMAversRonin356
  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    In regards to tickets... kinda? It's complex.

As I understand it, it depends on whether they charge extra for the event or not. The usual baseline for a non-free event is something like $2 for 2 hours. Anything extra goes to them, but also running events counts as credit towards reimbursing the GM for their badge and hotel room.

I think it's something like 72 player-hours for a badge?

Also note that *is* player-hours, so 6 players playing a 4-hour RPG is 24 player-hours. And this is why ticketing is *hella* important, so they can actually track if players showed up to events, and so they can allocate space for them to use.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
    Ketar
  • RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    I assume its still a thing but definitely buy some generic tickets now instead of having to wait in line at the con. Generics are useful for the open gaming area, getting in on things when people don't show up and other events that take them. I wouldn't bother signing up to too much unless theirs something specific you want in on; your first Gencon is better to get a feel for it and explore and the exhibit hall alone could take up all 4 days if you let it. Theirs so many things going on and its better not having too much of the con dictated by a schedule.

3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
    KetarRonin356
    Athenor wrote: »
    And hopefully, tomorrow I'll get tickets to the whole reason I've been wanting to go for the last 2-3 years!
    L5R? Or did I completely miss something, yet again?

Athenor
  • Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    edited June 11
    There will be panels covering the long history of Gencon, all thought the con.

Here is the link to all the retrospective panels and tours
    https://www.gencon.com/events/search?fri=true&group_sponsor=Gen+Con+50&sat=true&sun=true&thur=true&wed=true

I'm looking forward to seeing Mark the creator of VTM on Friday here:
    https://www.gencon.com/events/116883

Ronin356 on
    Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    That... Actually explains the ticketing cost system quite well. Thanks everyone!

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Wife and I will be going for the 3rd time this year.

We have never been fortunate enough to get nearby hotel rooms and instead always ended up getting the cheapest option we could without forever away. There's a garage right next to the convention center that we continue to have success with. I recall it being relatively cheap for daily parking and it was close enough that we could get to it if we needed/wanted to.

As for tickets, going by last year we had no difficulty just using the generic tickets. Then again our events are all card game related, so maybe it varies by event type? We bought a bunch of specific tickets in advance last time around and then a significant portion of people in our events just showed up with the generic so we transitioned to those. The majority of things we did were smaller offerings though so maybe they just didn't have the popularity and therefore had open spots to spare.

Warcraft 3: The Frozen throne (b.net) - wingedweasel
    Duelyst - wingedweasel
    Xbox 1 (Gears/Mortal Kombat) - winged weasel