As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adam West Dies Aged 88. RIP

Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba!Registered User regular
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40235142
Adam West, the US actor best known as the star of the 1960s hit TV series Batman, has died aged 88.

West died peacefully in Los Angeles after a brief battle with leukaemia, a family spokesperson said.

His tongue-in-cheek portrayal of Batman and the superhero's alter ego Bruce Wayne won a cult following.

However, West later struggled to find acting work. He most recently played a character in the animated comedy Family Guy.

West was born in 1928 in Walla Walla, Washington state, and began his acting career in Hawaii in the 1950s.

He is survived by his wife, Marcelle, six children, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Can we just skip straight to the retcon where its revealed he isn't actually dead? Please? :cry:

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I solemnly swear by my oath as a crimefighter that this outrage will not go unavenged.

To the batpoles.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    :sad:

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Going to miss him. He was an icon of the era who never took himself to seriously, which is amazing because he most well known for a character that everyone else portrayed as dark.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    From Adam West's official account

The reaction to the news has been pretty powerful. An outpouring of love I haven't seen since Bowie left us. It's making me feel a little better.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    He had a long life and was beloved by fans. I hope that his voice acting gigs did good things for him. 80+ years is a good run. I just hope most of those years were good ones for all the joy he brought to others.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    the man was an absolute delight to watch. whether it was as Batman or his recent turns on Family Guy, he brought a sincerity and a sense of fun to everything that he did. it might seem like the world is a little less bright without him, but its all the brighter for having had him in it.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    :(

My wife and I had just watched the '60s Batman movie a few weeks back. It'd been a long time since I had seen it, and she had never seen it before. I don't think I've seen the old show since I was a teen, though.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I have so many fond memories of watching Batman after racing home from school as a kid, those are something warm and nostalgic and still tinged with the innocence of that young age I won't forget for a long time. A hero that kids looked up to for generations, and continued to be that person in life until the end.

Farewell, old chum.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Batman, noooo :(

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for everything Mr. West.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "You know, as a kid I used to watch you with my father. The Gray Ghost was my hero."
    "Really?"
    "And he still is."

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Man, that stings. I used to watch the Batman movie with him a lot as a kid, seemed like with how many times I rented it I should have just owned it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeMiO8xcTQk

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Did anyone watch his most recent appearance as Batman (with Burt Ward as Robin and Julie Newmar as Catwoman) in the animated movie Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders? I remember seeing a trailer for it, but never really sought it out.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Did anyone watch his most recent appearance as Batman (with Burt Ward as Robin and Julie Newmar as Catwoman) in the animated movie Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders? I remember seeing a trailer for it, but never really sought it out.

have not got around to it no. :( think there was plans for a second one too.

• Options
    Man, that stings. I used to watch the Batman movie with him a lot as a kid, seemed like with how many times I rented it I should have just owned it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeMiO8xcTQk

fun fact, Seth MacFarlane was one of the writers on Johnny Bravo and pitched an Adam West spin-off. obviously that didn't happen, but it did lead to West being a part of Family Guy.

and here's MacFarlane's statement.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The world is lesser without Adam West. Ugh.

Edit - Out of SE++,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPBT_AooNPw

Henroid on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Most celebrity deaths leave me pretty indifferent, but...

Damn.

Adam West was my favourite Batman and he seemed to be a great guy in real life, too. So. Damn.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Burt Ward remembers Adam West
    Adam and I had a special friendship for more than 50 years. We shared some of the most fun times of our lives together; our families have deep love and respect for each other. This is a terribly unexpected loss of my lifelong friend, I will forever miss him.
    There are several fine actors who have portrayed Batman in films, in my eyes there was only one real Batman and that is and always will be Adam West; He was truly the Bright Knight.

Why is it so dusty in here?

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJdXMrFRDGk

That was one of the first Simpsons cameos I actually got as a kid since I watched the old show all the time. I still always do the chest tap.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I've always loved Adam West.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Another two tweets from SE++ that I thought were worth passing on:

:(

1983. (And he was absolutely right.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    He, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar got to play Batman, Robin, and Catwoman one last time in Return of the Caped Crusaders. It's ridiculous as fuck, and I loved every minute of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pytrQF6o9So

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Burt Ward remembers Adam West
    Adam and I had a special friendship for more than 50 years. We shared some of the most fun times of our lives together; our families have deep love and respect for each other. This is a terribly unexpected loss of my lifelong friend, I will forever miss him.
    There are several fine actors who have portrayed Batman in films, in my eyes there was only one real Batman and that is and always will be Adam West; He was truly the Bright Knight.

Why is it so dusty in here?

Someone used the most potent version of a particle dispersing Bat-Spray.

I'm also a victim of the same nefarious act.

My money is on the ghost of Cesar Romero.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This was shared in the SE++ thread. I think everyone will find it amazing as fuck.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    A few years ago I decided to watch the original Batman movie. After ten minutes of wondering how the hell people thought that this was a good idea, something flipped in my mind, like when a picture of a vase becomes a picture of two faces, and I was thoroughly entertained.

West also did a pilot that I think was mentioned on a Family Guy commentary about an actor who once played a TV detective under the delusion that he was still a crimefighter. It's called Lookwell! and is worth checking out - Conan O'Brien was one of the writers.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Batman death pool?

My money is on Kilmer being next, unless Clooney tries to run for political office.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The Bat-phone will need an extra long extension cord.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    My favorite Adam West memory is from Newsradio. Jimmy James is on trial for being D.B. Cooper, insists that it was really Adam West. And then West walks into the courtroom and admits it.

West seemed like he had an incredible sense of humor and never took himself too seriously. It's a rare trait. He had a long career and will be remembered forever for his work. No actor could ask for more.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

I think you could get everyone there except Peter Weller

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Oh God that's the best thing I've seen all day :lol:

• Options
    MovieBob makes the case for the old Batmamn TV show being actually pretty good.

https://youtu.be/bGorziAQJLg

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I don't remember much about the old Adam West Batman show other than that i liked it as a child.
    But i could tell he was probably a pretty fun guy based on how he was willing to play himself on Family Guy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Always loved the Bright Knight. Even named my cat after him...he ended basically being the living embodiment of AW's portrayal in Family Guy. RIP sir.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40235142
    Adam West, the US actor best known as the star of the 1960s hit TV series Batman, has died aged 88.

West died peacefully in Los Angeles after a brief battle with leukaemia, a family spokesperson said.

His tongue-in-cheek portrayal of Batman and the superhero's alter ego Bruce Wayne won a cult following.

However, West later struggled to find acting work. He most recently played a character in the animated comedy Family Guy.

West was born in 1928 in Walla Walla, Washington state, and began his acting career in Hawaii in the 1950s.

He is survived by his wife, Marcelle, six children, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Can we just skip straight to the retcon where its revealed he isn't actually dead? Please? :cry:

I'll just sit here and be waiting for the universe to be rebooted with him alive again.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum