As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Has Been Heroes] Now with free expansion! More heroes, spells, items, level and modes!

• KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I finished the prologue and then unlocked 79 things at once. The vast majority of which were skeletons in fancy hats.

I can grok the basic stamina mechanic, but I feel like I still have a pretty poor grasp of what it means to actually play well. I barely even remembered to use my spells. I wonder what the first real run will be like...

You'll feel like you've figured the game out when you have a game plan whenever monsters of varying stamina levels show up. You'll see the lane with the closest monster and just send your attackers back through that lane every strike, which means that you're only having to juggle 2 lanes. All useful spells should be on cooldown, and you'll learn which spells fit best in the various slots that grant additional benefits. It'll just click; so keep at it!

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Oh shit, you can cast the Rogue's flurry buff on other characters? That totally went over my head for some reason.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Oh shit, you can cast the Rogue's flurry buff on other characters? That totally went over my head for some reason.

You can cast any spell on anyone I think.

If one of your guys is burning to death, you can even use the Bard's water spell to save him.

b1rdman
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    What determines weather a monster is knocked UP or BACK when they run out of Stamina?

Magic Pink wrote: »
    What determines weather a monster is knocked UP or BACK when they run out of Stamina?

Not quite sure what you mean; if you stun them by depleting their stamina then they should fly all the way to the back of their lane. If you deplete their stamina by going over by a hit or two then they just fly back a bit. Is that the difference you're seeing?

KPC wrote: »

Not quite sure what you mean; if you stun them by depleting their stamina then they should fly all the way to the back of their lane. If you deplete their stamina by going over by a hit or two then they just fly back a bit. Is that the difference you're seeing?

No, I hit them enough and then sometimes they fly backwards and get all their stamina back and sometimes they just slump over and the stamina stays at 0

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular

No, I hit them enough and then sometimes they fly backwards and get all their stamina back and sometimes they just slump over and the stamina stays at 0

When you hit someone to make their stamina bar go exactly to 0, they will be stunned for a certain amount of time; the time differs for each type of monster. If you hit them with any character while they are stunned, they fly all the way back to the beginning of their lane and receive -1 Maximum Stamina.

If you "overhit" an enemy, i.e. it has 1 stamina left and you hit it 3 times, then it will pop up a bit in the air and regain all of its stamina. It won't fly back to the beginning of the lane and it won't get -1 Maximum Stamina.

Certain enemies (like zombies) never get knocked back, but also have no stamina. You just have to kill them.

Steam: Spawnbroker

When you hit someone to make their stamina bar go exactly to 0, they will be stunned for a certain amount of time; the time differs for each type of monster. If you hit them with any character while they are stunned, they fly all the way back to the beginning of their lane and receive -1 Maximum Stamina.

If you "overhit" an enemy, i.e. it has 1 stamina left and you hit it 3 times, then it will pop up a bit in the air and regain all of its stamina. It won't fly back to the beginning of the lane and it won't get -1 Maximum Stamina.

Certain enemies (like zombies) never get knocked back, but also have no stamina. You just have to kill them.

ah that's what i'm doing then. i need to time the hits perfectly to the stamina gauge.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    This game does a really bad job of telling the player that it's actually a puzzle game in disguise. You are supposed to hit the enemies down to exactly 0 stamina and then throw them back to the beginning of the lane. Rinse, repeat until all enemies are dead or run away. Everything in the game is in service to this one mechanic and the game does a really bad job of actually communicating that to you.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    SageinaRageChiselphane
    Stunning, by draining their stamina precisely, then hitting with a powerful attack, is initially the best way to damage and push back the enemies.

What I love about the game is that ends up being one of many options
    • High crit builds will go straight through stamina
    • High hit builds will go straight over the top of
    • Freezing ignores stamina
    • Wind and fear spells can keep foes away
    • Certain spells will do much of the work for you

I've finished runs where I'm not stunning at all. For example, I'll have a Rogue who has at least 10 hits with every attack, and crits 90% of the time, a monk who is auto-attacking everything on the screen with elemental attacks and a warrior who freezes his enemy before every attack.

One major pet peeve with this game: it only lets you move characters into the empty slot. So if the Knight attacks and I want to leave him where he is while swapping the other two characters, it takes three inputs instead of one for no reason. Also I usually fumble it somehow so it might be more like five.

Anyway, 3-stage mission is clear. I'm really not feeling the Monk...the ice spell feels very action-inefficient for most of the enemies I'm currently facing. I'm gonna try out both the bard and the new guy in the next run.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This game does a really bad job of telling the player that it's actually a puzzle game in disguise. You are supposed to hit the enemies down to exactly 0 stamina and then throw them back to the beginning of the lane. Rinse, repeat until all enemies are dead or run away. Everything in the game is in service to this one mechanic and the game does a really bad job of actually communicating that to you.

I mean, the very opening has an animation showing "hit exactly, don't hit over stamina."

What is this I don't even.
    edited June 2017
    One major pet peeve with this game: it only lets you move characters into the empty slot. So if the Knight attacks and I want to leave him where he is while swapping the other two characters, it takes three inputs instead of one for no reason. Also I usually fumble it somehow so it might be more like five.

I did read some reasoning about why they have the system them have. It was about the as debuffs (fire/poison) characters transfer when next to each other. Those debuffs will transfer even when a character is temporarily swapped next to an enemy in another lanes.

So it means that in theory the player needs to be careful about how they swap.

(in practise, I don't worry too much about the debuffs. Either I'll get enough immunity that it's not a problem, or I'm forced to pick up the debuff anyway just to defeat the enemies)
    I'm really not feeling the Monk...the ice spell feels very action-inefficient for most of the enemies I'm currently facing. I'm gonna try out both the bard and the new guy in the next run.

Yeah, he's probably the worst character in the game. Like, his 'thing' is that he does extra spell damage%, but his starting spell doesn't do any damage.

About unlocking future characters:
    There a 4 variations for each of the 2hit and 1hit classes. Four Bards, four Monks, four Warriors, four Luchadores, etc.

So even though the original Monk sucks, there ends up being 3 others to pick from.

Kriegaffe on
    Also,

I found this guide about the element system:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927767568

It's even more complicated than I had realised. Applying all the poison damage instantly with fire? Increasing fire damage with wind? Spreading poison with lightning? I didn't know about any of these.

Wraithverge
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I mean, the very opening has an animation showing "hit exactly, don't hit over stamina."

the animation is awful, it made no sense until someone explained it. considering they TELL you everything else and then suddenly decide to SHOW you, poorly, it's no surprise it's incredibly confusing.

Just finished the ice campaign. I failed a bunch of times (mostly due to giant swarms of zombies not dying fast enough) and was getting frustrated, but this run was brutal. Got a +40 attack Bruteshroom on my rogue in the first or second world and just kept stacking crit and damage on her. Then I found Vortex, which pretty much guaranteed the run. What a ridiculous spell.

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I see this is a roguelike. What carries over between runs?

edited June 2017
    Marty81 wrote: »

Every run you 'unlock' items. During a run, you visit spell and item vendors and the range of items they offer is bigger due to the unlocks.

Plus, every successful run unlocks a character.

So item/spell range and character selection; nothing else.

Kriegaffe on
    Just finished the ice campaign. I failed a bunch of times (mostly due to giant swarms of zombies not dying fast enough) and was getting frustrated, but this run was brutal. Got a +40 attack Bruteshroom on my rogue in the first or second world and just kept stacking crit and damage on her. Then I found Vortex, which pretty much guaranteed the run. What a ridiculous spell.

Dare I say it, but the +40 dmg item is the best thing in the game. Even though it is usually paired with a negative effect, it turns the Rogue into the best damage dealer.

Wyvern
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

Every run you 'unlock' items. During a run, you visit spell and item vendors and the range of items they offer is bigger due to the unlocks.

Ok, that's reasonable. Thanks!

Also identification of items/spells.

SageinaRageKriegaffe
    Poison campaign finished. That was the first ghoul boss to actually be kind of hard. I felt like if it had gone just a little worse somebody might have gotten overwhelmed.

That run wasn't as insane as the one before it damage-wise, but I got a TON of spell recharge, which seemed to do a good job greasing the wheels even though there weren't really any particularly ridiculous combos involved. I had been worried that bringing Zakwas was going to screw me stamina-wise but it just kind of didn't really become a problem somehow.

I think I realized I haven't been efficiently backstabbing. Like, the fact that you can rearrange EVERYONE, rather than just two guys, is something I tend to overlook. And the implication that you can, therefore, get two rounds of backstabbing from every action is significant, I guess.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    It's hard for me to pay attention to the backstabbing just because it feels like a pittance of damage compared to the value of how they are placed for their next attacks. It doesn't feel worth it to think about it. I haven't been paying a ton of attention to the damage though, I just notice it sometimes.

I beat the electric campaign the other day, finally. Having the water bomb helped a lot, one of those dealt about 90% of the damage I needed. I think Charm might be one of the best spells. Being able to push a threat back, as well as actually attack other enemies in the row, is pretty great for just a 30 sec recharge. It's a great safety valve.

sig.gif
    A few enemies are very vulnerable to backstabs. Notably the 20-stamina shield wall guys. But yeah, I haven't had much luck using it as a major source of damage, just an occasional cleanup tool. You're never gonna kill a pack of zombies with backstabs no matter how long you spend on it; they just have too much health.

I haven't had that much luck with charm, but that's partially because I don't use it proactively enough. If you wait until they're really close stuff slips through and it just generally doesn't last long enough. I like fear effects better. (Although you might not have unlocked them yet? I have no idea when they started showing up for me.)

Backstab doesn't kill 'em solo, but even just knocking one attack off can be the difference between life or death, I'd think.

Does the Mage/bard do the same damage on a backstab as everyone, or is it based on their attack damage?

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    What I've found most useful about backstab is not the damage, but that it resets the stun timer on anyone you hit. So you can keep one guy perma-stunned while you focus on other lanes. It's counter-intuitive, but I've been in some fights where it has been incredibly useful.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    Custom Special
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Huh, it doesn't end the stun? That's interesting. I also sometimes messed myself up by not including a backstab attack in stamina loss, so my guys would be out of position.

sig.gif
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Backstab doesn't kill 'em solo, but even just knocking one attack off can be the difference between life or death, I'd think.

Does the Mage/bard do the same damage on a backstab as everyone, or is it based on their attack damage?
    In my last run my warrior (Zakwas) was definitely doing more damage than my bard, but I have no idea what the formula is. I think it must be at least partially normalized?

I think Charm might be one of the best spells. Being able to push a threat back, as well as actually attack other enemies in the row, is pretty great for just a 30 sec recharge. It's a great safety valve.

At one point in time Charm had a bug. Occasionally the Charmed enemy would turn around and hit your hero, no matter how far away it was. I'm not sure if they fixed it, but I avoided it for a while after it ended a few runs for me.

I think Charm might be one of the best spells. Being able to push a threat back, as well as actually attack other enemies in the row, is pretty great for just a 30 sec recharge. It's a great safety valve.

At one point in time Charm had a bug. Occasionally the Charmed enemy would turn around and hit your hero, no matter how far away it was. I'm not sure if they fixed it, but I avoided it for a while after it ended a few runs for me.

It's still there. Lost a run a couple of days ago to a x6 attack skeleton.

Ah... patch should be out now (or soon)

kp8g483rzo56.jpg

SageinaRageWraithvergeMagic PinkChiselphane
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I'm on the final round of this, I got to the end but died on the boss because it took me way to long to figure out how to counter the 30 second long freeze placed on my characters.

It's a good game, but it really lacks in instruction, presentation and general polish. I had no idea about the backstab mechanic until I read it in someones tips for new players list. I'm pretty sure the game never mentions the mechanic at all (until unlocking the third warrior guy because one of his unique traits works off of it).

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited June 2017
    Rami wrote: »
    I'm on the final round of this, I got to the end but died on the boss because it took me way to long to figure out how to counter the 30 second long freeze placed on my characters.

It's a good game, but it really lacks in instruction, presentation and general polish. I had no idea about the backstab mechanic until I read it in someones tips for new players list. I'm pretty sure the game never mentions the mechanic at all (until unlocking the third warrior guy because one of his unique traits works off of it).

Yeah that wind attack (which freezes soaked players) is a run-ender. Sometimes you get there and simply haven't had the luck of getting an appropriate spell to counter it. I suppose not using water spells is another option.

Edit: I just noticed in the patch notes that using fire on a frozen, fire-immune character will now unfreeze them. That's an easy to get counter.

Kriegaffe on
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

Ah... patch should be out now (or soon)

kp8g483rzo56.jpg

Wow! I really didn't expect much post-launch support since the reviews were so silly. Seems like a nice patch, I'll try some runs later today.

Any idea when we get those sorts of patches on Switch?

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Beat the final boss second time around, pretty easy when you know what you're doing.

The robot character seems...shitty? Of the 1 hitters he has the lowest damage, slowest recharge and can't backstab. All for the benefit of briefly burning an enemy after using a spell. Also he has the worst starter spell as it's the only one that doesn't allow you to remove/bypass enemy stamina.

I also find I'm pretty locked into the bard for slot 2. The healing is so good, there are times where a bunch of enemies or especially bosses are flinging fire and poison around like crazy and I'm like 'wow this would be impossible if I didn't have the bard to heal all the DoTs'.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Having unlocked twice, I'm really struggling to make a third unlock. I've gotten to the fourth stage a few times, but I always peter out.

• b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Breast the ice boss and unlocked the palace guard from Aladdin. Still won't stop using the great Luchador, tiger combo tho. It's doing awesome for me.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman