As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Has Been Heroes] Now with free expansion! More heroes, spells, items, level and modes!

• KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Got the patch. The fonts are definitely larger on the Switch version. That helps a bit for portable play.

• b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    I've only played in portable mode and never noticed it being a problem. I wonder if the font will look huge to me now

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Got the patch. The fonts are definitely larger on the Switch version. That helps a bit for portable play.

It's weird because after the patch I'm pretty sure all of the text is a lot smaller for me. Noticeably so.

edited June 2017
    KPC wrote: »

It's weird because after the patch I'm pretty sure all of the text is a lot smaller for me. Noticeably so.

That's a bit weird. I noticed things like the number of keys/candles were larger.

Playing this morning I got the 'Herald of Gales' boss and even though they nerfed him, he's still the hardest thing in the game. If I didn't have...
    the Black Knight with Dark Quickstrike
    ... he would have beaten me.

Kriegaffe on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I've taken to stacking crit builds on the rogue lately. It's really stupid good, I just send her into high stamina enemies knowing that there's an 80% chance she'll crit straight through it and blow them up instantly.

If you find the item that gives you +30% crit on your next attack after a crit, and another that deals 500 fire damage on a crit. Then just get at least +50 melee damage and +20 crit chance.

I seem to have unlocked all the characters now, so when exactly do skins start unlocking?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited June 2017
    Rami wrote: »
    I've taken to stacking crit builds on the rogue lately. It's really stupid good, I just send her into high stamina enemies knowing that there's an 80% chance she'll crit straight through it and blow them up instantly.

If you find the item that gives you +30% crit on your next attack after a crit, and another that deals 500 fire damage on a crit. Then just get at least +50 melee damage and +20 crit chance.

I seem to have unlocked all the characters now, so when exactly do skins start unlocking?

When you beat the final boss there's a chest to open. Open it with a character and their next variant is unlocked. An icon appears on the char select screen to show which have opened the chest. Each of the 1x hit and 2x hit characters have 4 variants including the original.

The Rogue is different. Just reaching the final stage unlocks the next variant. Opening the chest with the original Rogue unlocks the third variant. The fourth and final variant requires every character to open the chest. All 35 of them.

Note that they aren't just skins. They similar, but different base abilities and a different starting spell.

If I get lots of +crit items my Rogue ends up best. Lots of +hit items and freeze or stam-removal spells, then the warrior does really well. Lately I've been having more luck making my 2 hit guy into a danger with dark spells and +spell dmg/recharge items.

Kriegaffe on
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

Yeah, I always give my rogue all the crit items. And all the flat damage items. And a lot of other items too, really. All the items! If the rest of you dopes didn't want all the loot to get stolen you shouldn't have invited a thief to the party!

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    I've been experimenting with getting the most out of the Damage Over Time elements (fire/poison) they are pretty good for a couple of reasons:
    - They are good for high stakes enemies
    - The debuff spreads and can damage a whole group of enemies.
    - They rack up the combo meter
    - More combo hits applies a multiplier meaning means more damage...
    - And of course higher combos mean more Princess spells
    - Certain elemental combinations can do interesting things to push the damage higher.

I had an interesting run where most of the time I only had 1 character attacking (a fire/poison immune tiger) as he kept the enemies in a group burning to death.

Getting one of those "50% chance of getting fire spells from any vendor" helps make these focused element runs possible.

The trick to making it work was keeping the others away from the bonfire and not using any spells that will stop the fire (lightning/water/ice) unless I wanted to.

Just beat the poison boss and it felt good. But once again I hate losing the sweet stats and spells I built up just right for my team. Now to start over again. I think I don't like Roguelikes, but I can't stop with this one.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
    If you get the chance put Dragonblood in the rogue's third slot (buffs apply to all party members).

All 3 of your guys become volcanoes and rain fire on everything constantly. It was so good at killing that every time it wore off I could afford to recast it from having a maxed orb because it generates mad soul quantities.

sig.gif
    If you get the chance put Dragonblood in the rogue's third slot (buffs apply to all party members).

All 3 of your guys become volcanoes and rain fire on everything constantly. It was so good at killing that every time it wore off I could afford to recast it from having a maxed orb because it generates mad soul quantities.

Yes, I had a few consecutive runs that I was fortunate enough to be able to do this. This last run where I beat the poison boss, I didn't get dragon blood, but did get the electric version of it which paired just fine with all the other elemental attacks I had going on.

I haven't been this addicted to a repetitive formula since Diablo 2

steam_sig.png
    Thought I'd take a screenshot of my current character unlocks:
    z9xb484t6hhd.jpg

Nice. I'm one away from having the top row full. This image makes me jealous, and a little worried about how many times I'll have to beat this game

steam_sig.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Man I can't even reliably beat the first boss. this game is fucking hard.

what's the soul jobby thing do again?

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    When an orb is full, you can use it to cast any spell you own independently of its cooldown. Then it empties and the number of souls it needs increases by 20 (which also means potentially scoring more of them towards unlocks at the end of the fight).

With one run left before I unlock the whole first row, I am still awful at taking advantage of any of that.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    edited July 2017
    I just completed the most amazing run. At the end I had 7000 souls, which is about 2000 better than my previous best.

What I did was focus on poison, lightning and wind. Early up I got Vortex, so I'd poison one guy and then group them all together, which would poison everyone. Any stragglers could be blown back with the wind spells I had. Then I'd drop lightning bolts on that group and kill them in Quad/Penta/Hexa kills. Because of all the poison ticks, each enemy was dropping 20+ souls.

What made it it really work was using the dwarf (Khar). He can refresh spells by doing melee attacks. So I loaded him up with "x% chance on hit to do element damage" and made him my main attacker. I'd give him all the Doublestrike charges and have him wail away on the poisoned group. Even though he couldn't crit, he'd do enough elemental damage whilst removing stamina to make him effective. Plus the whole time he was recharging all the spells I needed to keep everyone poisoned and zapped.

Kriegaffe on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Picked this up yesterday and I'm already digging it. Got my first two clears this morning back to back (yay for being wide awake at 5am). Really looking forward to discovering more items so I can properly equip my characters.
    Had a couple boss fights I really thought I was going to lose and ended up pulling through. Like using the bard for the first time and facing the giant shield boss. Found out that those little buggers AoE freeze so I was able to save the bard's water shot to explode those guys, freeze boss, then do damage. I also really need to get better about using the orbs. I feel like it's a waste to use one in early fights, but then if you don't use it until closer to the end, you lose out on a bunch of souls.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I just completed the most amazing run. At the end I had 7000 souls, which is about 2000 better than my previous best.

jesus

my highest is like 140

I also really need to get better about using the orbs. I feel like it's a waste to use one in early fights, but then if you don't use it until closer to the end, you lose out on a bunch of souls.

The simplest use of the orb is to just cast Doublestrike twice. Once using it's regular cooldown, once with an orb. That gets a 12 hit attack which will kill most things and get at least 12 souls back from whoever you use it on.

With a bit of planning, it's not too hard to get 24 or 48 hits which can potentially kill a boss.

One thing about Doublestrike I learned is that it applies even to +X hits after casting. So if you cast it on a 2x hero to get 4 hits and then they gain +2 hits, then you get (2+2)*2=8 hits instead of (2*2)+2=6 hits.

tl;dr: For Doublestrike, timing does not matter.

One thing about Doublestrike I learned is that it applies even to +X hits after casting. So if you cast it on a 2x hero to get 4 hits and then they gain +2 hits, then you get (2+2)*2=8 hits instead of (2*2)+2=6 hits.

The + hits can get factored into Doublestrike after it has been cast.

For instance, there's items that add +1 hit every 15 seconds. So cast Doublestrike on the Rogue and they go to 6x and when the 15 second timer goes off, it will instantly change to 8x wile they are just standing there.

The + hits can get factored into Doublestrike after it has been cast.

For instance, there's items that add +1 hit every 15 seconds. So cast Doublestrike on the Rogue and they go to 6x and when the 15 second timer goes off, it will instantly change to 8x wile they are just standing there.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say, but you probably did it better.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Made it through poison boss last night with Rogue, Tiger, Luchador.
    Got the Divine Intervention on the rogue's all buff slot (second time I've got it, but it never seems to get used much).
    Had great items, Rogue had lots of crit and + damage. Ended up with the Luchador having all 5 spells, +50% damage with 30% slower melee recharge, and faster spell recharge which ends up working amazing for just resetting his melee and doing tons of damage.

Finally unlocked all but the last character. 11 more runs and 19 spells to unlock and I should be at 100%.

Made it through poison boss last night with Rogue, Tiger, Luchador.
    Got the Divine Intervention on the rogue's all buff slot (second time I've got it, but it never seems to get used much).
    Had great items, Rogue had lots of crit and + damage. Ended up with the Luchador having all 5 spells, +50% damage with 30% slower melee recharge, and faster spell recharge which ends up working amazing for just resetting his melee and doing tons of damage.

I wish there was a way to see all of the buffs on the heroes, instead of trying to piece it together from items and half-remembered altar buffs and debuffs.

Yeah the UI is pretty shit balls

sig.gif
    Some random things I've learnt lately:

I read on Reddit about people getting 22k souls per run. Considering my best is 5k, this seems crazy large. I suspect they are getting their rogue up to significant multipliers (I.e. Upwards of 500x) then pausing as the souls come in to fill up and use the free spells multiple times from that one single kill.

Whilst experimenting with the above strategy, I had a rogue take out an entire zombie horde with a single attack. They had the 5% chance to do 300 lightning damage on hit item, and I sent the rogue straight down the middle lane with 700+ hits. Since the lighting would chain to other enemies, the zombies approaching would be hit by the lightning attacks killing them. Possibly the craziest thing I've done in this game.

Also, I had a really effective poison and ice run. I was unable to get poison immunity, but frozen enemies can still be poisoned and keep the combo meter ticking over, yet hitting them won't give your character the poison debuff. I had 4 or so different ice spells so I could keep everyone poisoned and iced up, without having my own guys die.

My personal best is about 8k souls, but I'm at about 98.5% completion where the number of souls you get are just about almost worthless since there's so little left to unlock.

Random thing I discovered, it you do a massive combo with the Bard (i.e. 32+ hits) it changes the music for the rest of that level.

edited August 2017
    Random thing I discovered, it you do a massive combo with the Bard (i.e. 32+ hits) it changes the music for the rest of that level.

Well now I must do that

b1rdman on
    steam_sig.png
    What are everyone's favorite set of heroes to run? I've been going with the poison-smith and luchador every time, but I might start trying the tiger more.
    My current strategy is maxing spells on the luchador for getting all the resets and crit on the rogue. The middle guy usually just gets any maps, master key, and every skull I can possibly find.

What are everyone's favorite set of heroes to run? I've been going with the poison-smith and luchador every time, but I might start trying the tiger more.
    My current strategy is maxing spells on the luchador for getting all the resets and crit on the rogue. The middle guy usually just gets any maps, master key, and every skull I can possibly find.

I tend to like Zakwas the Bodyguard most of all. With a few +Hit items and planning around backstab he becomes very powerful.

Kedi the Tiger is my favourite middle guy. His self heal is amazing with Dark spells, and he has enough damage to finish guys on his own.

The Black Knight seems the best rogue. Dark Quickstrike is just so useful.

All that said, I have had some really interesting runs with both the Bard and the Dwarf.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    This game caught me by surprise after picking it up at half price. I love just about everything about it. Building combos, synergiesing effects even just plotting a course around the map.

But I have to admit I'm a bit terrified thinking of the time investment to unlock all of the heroes. I mean damn there is alot of them. And most of them are going to require 7 stage runs? Damn. I may have chosen a bad week to order Disgaea 5.

Road Block on
    Last night I finished my first run
    post Roho clear. Since there was no mention of the final chest, I opened it with the rogue (because I thought I'd read the first unlock is the white knight). Turns out the first clear unlocks the white knight plus whoever you open the chest with. So I have white and black knight unlocked, but I would've rather snagged white knight and the first luchador or tiger unlock with it.
    The more you know.gif

The black knight is more useful than the white, I think.

Road Block wrote: »
    This game caught me by surprise after picking it up at half price. I love just about everything about it. Building combos, synergiesing effects even just plotting a course around the map.

But I have to admit I'm a bit terrified thinking of the time investment to unlock all of the heroes. I mean damn there is alot of them. And most of them are going to require 7 stage runs? Damn. I may have chosen a bad week to order Disgaea 5.

Yeah most of them require 8 stages. I rarely sit down and play a full run, but the game (on Switch at least) is easy to pause and come back to it later. Also, I often skip several of the battles on stages 7 & 8 because my items and spells are full.
    The black knight is more useful than the white, I think.

Occasionally, using the White Knight's spell to double damage is useful (I.e when killing bosses with a single combo). But the Black Knight's Dark Quickstrike is just so useful, especially if you can reliably heal hm.

Unlocked the final character...
    An invisible man!
    • 60% Spell recharge
    • 30% crit
    • 15-25 base damage
    • 3 hits
    • No doublestrike!
    • Cleanse as a base Spell

The first stage was actually a bit challenging due to those base abilities. I'm gonna load up on dmg and elemental powers and see how I go.

edited September 2017
    And with this...
    o4blplbfojdr.jpg
    ... I think I might be just about done.

Even that last run was amongst the craziest I've ever done. I got the buff that shoots wind periodically in the all-team slot, and a whole array of other elemental spells so the enemies were pressed against the right side of the screen being frozen, electrocuted, etc. My guys had terrible physical damage, but the spells were enough to keep me going. I'm still blown away about how many tactical variations are possible with the game.

Kriegaffe on
    Unfortunately the game is hanging quite often after dying in the new Challenge mode. Having to drop out to the Switch Home screen and kill the game entirely.

Also, challenge modes are precise set ups with very specific strategies required. If it weren't for the hanging issue, I reckon I would have beaten the first one by now.