As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Has Been Heroes] Now with free expansion! More heroes, spells, items, level and modes!

124»

• KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Quick update: The freezing problem subsided. Current theory is it happens if you end a challenge whilst having a regular game in progress/paused.

Anyway, I got the hang of the challenges which are a mix of specific puzzle-like set ups and hectic battles showing off some of the powerful new items and spells. I've beat 5 of 8 which gives me 5 new characters to use.

It seems that entering the new levels is dependant on using the new characters in a regular game, so I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

My favourite new item was a thing that builds up charges with every melee hit and releases that many lightning bolts when a spell is cast.

q9aehs8u2zo3.jpg

b1rdman
    edited November 2017
    So I really like this expansion!

It's got a much better sense of progression than the main game.

i.e.
    1. Beat the 8 challenges
    2. Pick a one of the 8 Sky Temple bosses (each with varying difficulty)
    3. Beat it to upgrade a hero and unlock more items
    4. Rinse and repeat till each boss has been beat 3 times
    5. Complete Epic Quest with the Trine characters*

(* I know nothing else about the Epic Quest right now)

Initially I was just jumping into any portal, but Hell Herald wiped the floor with me. So now I've focussed on upgrading specific characters, so they can help me tackle the tougher bosses. As an example, max level Favian does 70 dmg per hit and starts with a Legendary spell.

The general trick is to create at least one amazingly powerful char that can kill the boss. The new 'Vital Drain' mechanic can do this. It drains 4% of total life if it procs, so a 25x Vital Drain proc kills anything.

I know I'm kinda the only person posting in this thread, but I'm totally amazed by all the secrets and mechanics still to uncover in this game.

Kriegaffe on
    b1rdmanRoad Block
  • b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    I'm reading what you're posting, so you aren't alone in here. I need to get back to this game soon. Haven't tried all the new stuff yet

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
    Kriegaffe
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    oh I didn't realize it was out. I'll have to make some time to get back in.

Good on the devs for continuing to support it.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Really enjoying this on my Switch.

Just unlocked my first new hero after beating the first chapter, I suppose.

But the second chapter's second boss seems.... impossible. Hrmmm
    it's the one that spawns kamikaze skeletons that freeze stuff and has, like, 80 Stamina or something ridiculous like that.

• b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    They all seem impossible until you figure out what the trick is to beat them. It's sort of a puzzle game in that way. You have to approach different enemies with new tactics. It's not always brute Force attacks

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
    Kriegaffe
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    b1rdman wrote: »
    They all seem impossible until you figure out what the trick is to beat them. It's sort of a puzzle game in that way. You have to approach different enemies with new tactics. It's not always brute Force attacks

Okay, I just don't get the trick to that one.

I figured out the trick fairly quickly for the bosses before that one, beating the ghoul and the other one on the first try.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Played this for the first time in a while, just beat the fire zombie boss for the first time (and am now in the tundra/snow for the first time). MAN that took forever, that dude has just a ton of hitpoints. I haven't even updated with the expansion yet, because I don't know if I would get to any of it any time soon.

I figured out the trick fairly quickly for the bosses before that one, beating the ghoul and the other one on the first try.

This is another example of the mechanics not being explained super well. Basically, if an enemy is hit while frozen, they will take some damage, regardless of how much stamina they have. So you need to try to get that guy frozen and then attack. Don't worry about breaking through his stamina at all.

sig.gif
    Played this for the first time in a while, just beat the fire zombie boss for the first time (and am now in the tundra/snow for the first time). MAN that took forever, that dude has just a ton of hitpoints. I haven't even updated with the expansion yet, because I don't know if I would get to any of it any time soon.

This is another example of the mechanics not being explained super well. Basically, if an enemy is hit while frozen, they will take some damage, regardless of how much stamina they have. So you need to try to get that guy frozen and then attack. Don't worry about breaking through his stamina at all.

Oh, I see....

Does hitting the frozen enemies knock them back and unfreeze them as well? I guess I wasn't paying enough attention last run.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

Oh, I see....

Does hitting the frozen enemies knock them back and unfreeze them as well? I guess I wasn't paying enough attention last run.

Yeah, but not as much as the stun knockback, just the normal amount for an attack getting through.

sig.gif
    21stCentury
    edited December 2017
    Making progress throw the sky temples. Got all the weapons for Favian, Florencio, Kedi and Khar. Got at least one for upgrade for Crux, Metacles and Roho. Still can't beat Hell Herald, partly cause the Switch version crashes on that fight.

Last run I got Dark Insect Swarm (drains 1 stam every second for 15 seconds) on Kedi. Best thing is, it stacks! Using Kedi's health regen to offset the Dark Spell, I was able to have the bosses (like the Hell Brothers) constantly stunned.

Kriegaffe on
    Man, once you get the hang of this game it really takes off.

b1rdmanKriegaffeCustom Special
    I had a decent Khar spell-recharge run this morning. Some of the Khar variants recharge the whole teams spell every hit he makes. Got him:
    • +2 hit on kill
    • freeze nearby enemies on kill
    • 2x faster melee recharge on kill
    • A decent amount of damage
    • a ton of +vital drain %
    So after killing someone he'd leave a whole group frozen, be on 4xHit, and recharging melee very quickly. I'd Double-Strike that to 8xHit and go after one of the other frozen guys, killing the next one.

Those 8 hits would reduce much of the spell cooldowns, including Double-Strike, making him ready to attack again.

edited December 2017
    Beat the fire ghost.

that's 3 crystals down.

I'm going to guess the main campaign "ends" after the 6th ghost, right? then some sort of postgame starts?

EDIT: Also, the extra heroes underneath the first row, are they hard to unlock or....? no spoilers if possible.

21stCentury on
    Beat the fire ghost.

that's 3 crystals down.

I'm going to guess the main campaign "ends" after the 6th ghost, right? then some sort of postgame starts?

EDIT: Also, the extra heroes underneath the first row, are they hard to unlock or....? no spoilers if possible.

Completing the regular game means completing 8 maps & bosses in a single run.

Unlocking the characters is not hard if you can do those 8 maps reliably.

Post-game comes in two forms:
    1. Beating the game unlocks a whole swag of interesting items and spells to help get those other characters.
    2. The expansion adds a bunch of new and different content that is accessible after beating the 8 challenges on the main menu.

23 out of 24 Sky Temple runs complete.

Mild spoilers for character unlocks:
    The 2nd and 3rd unlocks for Young Tam don’t have Doublestrike.

Now I didn’t have to select those versions of the character, but it made things a bit more interesting. On my last run I focussed on making the Warrior crit based and was lucky to get +2 hits on kill and +50% dmg on kill. Add in the spell to reset melee cooldowns twice (in the group slot) and the run became a cakewalk...

... until I got to the boss and realised the mage had no poison or fire resistance. The entire game changed and became all about keeping the mage alive. Super difficult fight then. At one point I intentionally froze him to put out a long running fire dot.

And that's 100% for the expansion.

The Epic Quest was probably the hardest thing I've faced in the game. Died about 15 times before I formed an unstoppable team. Getting 'Summon Death' as my second spell certainly helped.

06c603ludhe5.jpg

Road Block21stCentury