As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[UFO:ET] Glory glory what a helluva way to NOT die

13»

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Its automatic. They pop up as entries on the research screen.

At least I presume that's the dead body research, because I was getting the option to research aliens even without an interrogation room.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ah, I remember each dead body turning into an item in base inventory that could could sell....

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I haven't noticed that here. The developers seem very opposed to making a profit from anything but the monthly report.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I haven't noticed that here. The developers seem very opposed to making a profit from anything but the monthly report.

A lot of the old item management is simplified. And for the record, I'm pretty sure even Mythos wound up dropping selling alien bodies by the time they made Apocalypse. I remember watching my stepbrother do that in the original X-Com and it was odd to me to say the least.

Money in general can be pretty tight in ET. You can't manufacture stuff and sell it for a profit, which leads to some strange situations where the new, hi-tech version of a generic product is worth less than that it improves upon in every way.

I've found the key to financial solvency to be the reward for taking out an alien base (400k or so) and selling UFO components like craft armor and flight control. Problem is that until you research those, you don't know what you're selling. Once you do though, even a scout or two can bring in close to 100k for the armor and other components.

On a side note, I think alien bases are actually my favorite mission types now. I've reached a point where my corporal to sergeant level veterans can normally hit anything with a laser rifle and having the aliens either come to you en masse and being able to simply shoot into a wall to create a new door speeds up the hunt.

It's getting a lot harder to train the rookies though. They can't hit for crap with rifles, can't keep up with my veterans moving around, and lack of strength keeps them out of better armor and weapons so they can wind up spending lots of time in the hospital. Their one saving grace is that they can at least toss grenades with some accuracy at medium to close range so I sometimes have them tag a long as grenadiers against scout craft.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    harvest wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Speaking of strategic gaming, is Rebelstar Tactical Command worth picking up? (I highjack this topic)

Yes, and it's dirt cheap now.

What I need to know is the opposite: how do the XCOM/UFO games compare to RTC?
    well since no one else seems to be answering, i've never actually played RTC but after reading reviews it seems like the combat is ripped almost straight out of xcom, so the combat in the two should be fairly similar but UFO:ET also has base building and world map stuff that RTC doesn't have.
    Well, RTC was made by the same guys who made X-Com so ... yeah. They have the same squad combat.

To quote myself from an old UFO: Afterlight thread:
    Iolo wrote:
    I played Rebelstar. It was okay. It was much more like Fire Emblem than it was like XCom. (Fire Emblem is swell and all, but when you're hoping for XCom, well, it doesn't quite sate the appetite.)

Highs: Making aliens explode, destructible environments, truly turn-based, weight limits and ammo restrictions coupled with moderate difficulty encouraged actual tactical play.

Lows: Uninspired character leveling, tortuous inventory management, little in the way of mission briefing before you had to pick and equip your squad and send them into the fray, no base building or squad recruitment, completely linear.

If you came by RTC on its own terms as a standalone GBA game then you'd have a fun little treat with some nice turn-based tactical combat. If you came to it expecting XCom, well, only certain disappointment lies down that path. The tactical combat isn't as good, you aren't that attached to your characters, and there's no strategic or economic aspect to the game to speak of.

In other news, this thread needs more screenshots of PA'ers playing ET, please.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

A lot of the old item management is simplified. And for the record, I'm pretty sure even Mythos wound up dropping selling alien bodies by the time they made Apocalypse. I remember watching my stepbrother do that in the original X-Com and it was odd to me to say the least.

Money in general can be pretty tight in ET. You can't manufacture stuff and sell it for a profit, which leads to some strange situations where the new, hi-tech version of a generic product is worth less than that it improves upon in every way.

I've found the key to financial solvency to be the reward for taking out an alien base (400k or so) and selling UFO components like craft armor and flight control. Problem is that until you research those, you don't know what you're selling. Once you do though, even a scout or two can bring in close to 100k for the armor and other components.

On a side note, I think alien bases are actually my favorite mission types now. I've reached a point where my corporal to sergeant level veterans can normally hit anything with a laser rifle and having the aliens either come to you en masse and being able to simply shoot into a wall to create a new door speeds up the hunt.

It's getting a lot harder to train the rookies though. They can't hit for crap with rifles, can't keep up with my veterans moving around, and lack of strength keeps them out of better armor and weapons so they can wind up spending lots of time in the hospital. Their one saving grace is that they can at least toss grenades with some accuracy at medium to close range so I sometimes have them tag a long as grenadiers against scout craft.

I find i can't even give rookies grenades as they tend to miss throw them and half kill my veterans D: although luckily i don't have very many low rookies since all my men tend to get hospitalized so often it kinda evens out :oops:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The base management is confusing me a bit.

I built a new base, but the only module options available for me to build are hangars, defense, and detectors.
    No living quarters or the like.

Consequently, I can't transfer personnel to my new base (or any equipment to arm them).

What am I missing here?

I don't want a naked base out there with no defense, I assume i'd insta-lose it if an alien base invasion took place.

I'm starting to think that only your first, main base can ever support soldiers.
    This will be interesting when I have to respond to four ufo events simultaniously.
    I forsee four hangars, with four transports, and no interceptors at the main base.
    Please tell me i'm wrong.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    The base management is confusing me a bit.

I built a new base, but the only module options available for me to build are hangars, defense, and detectors.
    No living quarters or the like.

Consequently, I can't transfer personnel to my new base (or any equipment to arm them).

What am I missing here?

I don't want a naked base out there with no defense, I assume i'd insta-lose it if an alien base invasion took place.

I'm starting to think that only your first, main base can ever support soldiers.
    This will be interesting when I have to respond to four ufo events simultaniously.
    I forsee four hangars, with four transports, and no interceptors at the main base.
    Please tell me i'm wrong.
    i wish i could D: but on the bright side the chance you'll ever have enough soldiers at one time to fill up even on transport is negligible so theres really no point in spamming transports at your main base :| . I keep 1 upgraded transport at my main base (that can hold all my men sadly enough) 1 laser defense, 1 detector and fill the rest up with labratories and Production facilities.

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The only way to defend secondary bases is with the defense facilities, and quick-reaction forces ready to take them back if they fall (you get 10 days to get them back damage-free).

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I enjoyed the innovation in RTC. I've never played an SRPG that had so much focus on using the atmosphere of the environments. If the XC games are even better, then I guess I better get to tracking one down.
    I've never even beaten RTC. Stupid UFOs.

I liked the characters, though. It had a line I'll never forget.
    "What do if we encounter them, sir?"
    "Three words: run like hell."

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I find i can't even give rookies grenades as they tend to miss throw them and half kill my veterans D: although luckily i don't have very many low rookies since all my men tend to get hospitalized so often it kinda evens out :oops:

I'm only willing to make the rookies toss explosive grenades when it's clear of my vets and at a target fairly close by. If there's a risk they'll hit my veterans, they use the chemical grenades that don't damage your men on impact (but still do a number on the aliens) and generally won't hurt you even if you're in the cloud at the end of the turn.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Gah..i just hit my first terror mission and i gotta say i'm starting to sympathize with the aliens O_o any civilization with civilians that stupid should be wiped out. "Dur dur dur lets all run away from the team sent to protect us and into the far side of the map thats full of aliens and under fog of war to die! dur dur dur" ..needless to say i got a very bad rating on that mission

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Gah..i just hit my first terror mission and i gotta say i'm starting to sympathize with the aliens O_o any civilization with civilians that stupid should be wiped out. "Dur dur dur lets all run away from the team sent to protect us and into the far side of the map thats full of aliens and under fog of war to die! dur dur dur" ..needless to say i got a very bad rating on that mission

And they move soooo slowly too . . . it's like instead of panicking, they've decided to try to ignore the fact that there's a war going on around them and meander about obliviously.

"Oh, lalala, that's not really a large, clawed alien with psionic powers, someone just needs some moisturizing lotion. And those aren't bullets striking that poor fellow with dry skin, they must just be bees. I should keep moving slowly so I don't excite them. And those soldiers that sound like they're yelling 'Get out of the way you stupid bitch!' are really just some teenagers listening to rap music. Youth these days. Oh, sounds like they're getting angry, they really should have been raised better by their mothers. Oh, what's this? One of them just threw a green, round object at my feet. It must be a small watermel . . ."

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm enjoying the game but....

I was playing it on medium, and I just couldn't keep a full team. Almost every mission 90% of my guys would return to go into the hospital, crippling me. I don't think I've ever had a tank survive a mission. I toughed it out, but eventually restarted on Easy.

Things were going better, only losing a guy or two a mission, then about 2 hours into it, my game crashes and I lose it all .

Annoying++

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Things were going better, only losing a guy or two a mission, then about 2 hours into it, my game crashes and I lose it all .

Annoying++

The bugs are definitely annoying. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson about buying Eastern European software on release by now, but damn I needed to scratch that itch . . .

I've only really taken a break from the game because my hand was starting to get pain from mouse movements. Supposedly I've just or am on the cusp of triggering the next wave of tougher aliens too.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Annoying++

The bugs are definitely annoying. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson about buying Eastern European software on release by now, but damn I needed to scratch that itch . . .

I've only really taken a break from the game because my hand was starting to get pain from mouse movements. Supposedly I've just or am on the cusp of triggering the next wave of tougher aliens too.

So I'm not the only one suffering hand injuries from this game! I finally beat it though, it was a good game all said, still makes me yearn for a more up to date version of Xcom though, even the Jagged Alliance type of engine would be a step up. Ah well, one day!

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    They just started sending cruisers after me..the first cruiser wiped out 4 of my raptors (my raptors currently have the starting stinger missles, laser shields and laser cannons) then wiped out my bases two laser defense systems in two hits and took it over...mommy D:

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    They just started sending cruisers after me..the first cruiser wiped out 4 of my raptors (my raptors currently have the starting stinger missles, laser shields and laser cannons) then wiped out my bases two laser defense systems in two hits and took it over...mommy D:

Then I was using Raptors, even with upgraded weapons and missiles, I would only try to take a cruiser if a cruiser popped up in cannon range over a base so I could unload all my weapons at once and retreat fast.

Researching the next interceptor design and building one or two makes it much easier to take one down. Even with just one Lightning and one Raptor, the Lightning makes it to the cruiser first so it draws the fire to its much more durable armor though it still gets a bit close at times with laser cannons.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Believe me, i'd love to research new interceptor designs, I have 60 scientists for just that purpose..but alas currently my research panel is devoid of any research that looks remotely helpful =(

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Believe me, i'd love to research new interceptor designs, I have 60 scientists for just that purpose..but alas currently my research panel is devoid of any research that looks remotely helpful =(

Research the other stuff anyway. Some of the "crap" items lead to useful things. :)

Also, send out Raptors in waves. The first one gets to missile range, then RUNS AWAY. The other three close to Aggressive range and hammer the UFO, which will be busy chasing #1. When it gets a clue and turns on one of the other raptors, have that raptor run away and vector in the fleeing one.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Research the other stuff anyway. Some of the "crap" items lead to useful things. :)

Also, send out Raptors in waves. The first one gets to missile range, then RUNS AWAY. The other three close to Aggressive range and hammer the UFO, which will be busy chasing #1. When it gets a clue and turns on one of the other raptors, have that raptor run away and vector in the fleeing one.
    well..i found the lightning..
    i guess the new transport that i'd never bothered researching since i never had enough soldiers out of the hospital at one time to fill the old transport lead to it
    :oops:
    edit: and since Iolo asked for some last page and this thread has a conspicuous absence of screenshots, heres a quick one i snapped off to get the ball rolling, you can't see it in this picture, but in the upper right corner right behind my guy in the blue theres a civilian doing her best to run towards the aliens and her death *sigh*
    UFO.JPG

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just found a kind of enemy that paralyzes you then lights you on fire. No stop, drop or roll for my guys. That was the first time I ever got wiped out, and I'm in Feb. of my 2nd year.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This game caused me to also load up my old copy of x-com (the gold edition with the xp fix) and do some comparing/constrasting.

One thing that is really annoying however, is that x-com of course wants to run fullscreen.
    It doesn't look very good at all on my 1920x1200.

Do any of you know how I can force x-com to simply play in a window?

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is this the same group that made UFO: Afterlight? It seems to be different in many, many ways.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No. This is a different developer entirely.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just a quick head's up -- a mod is available over on the official forums that introduces a few critical features, such as soldier death in combat and the ability to hire and fire them: SagerXCOM Mod

It looks like a work in progress, but it might be pretty good. No word on whether Patrick Stewart's in there or not, though.

Doronron on