As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Bioshock is a shooter"

NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Searched, couldn't find anything. Kotaku posted a snippet from an interview with irrational's jon chey where he said
Actually, this is pretty simple: BioShock is a shooter...GTA asked questions about what it means to be a driving game ("why do you have to go round and round a closed track?") and that turned the genre on its head. We're trying to do the same thing for the shooter genre by adding non-linear exploration, choice of tools, deeper interactions with AIs and so on. But at the end of the day, you've got to be able to aim and pull the trigger. This is a shooter.

I remember complaining some two years ago that they better not turn this into "system shock for dummies" like deus ex 2. You people told me to simmer down, but look who was right? I laugh at you before you laugh at me because your pennies HAVE BEEN IN MY ASS.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/under-the-sea/irrational-bioshock-is-a-shooter-256297.php

NickTheNewbie on

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    So? It's always been a shooter, hasn't it?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm confused, when did you think they lead us to believe otherwise? I thought it was a given from the first screenshots that it was a shooter, but a shooter with depth.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How is this new? All the videos show the player running around in first person and shooting stuff.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am very glad that this is the case.

LewieP on
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Christ almighty.

This doesn't make the game bad. It doesn't change a thing. If it does what GTA did for "driving games," then who the fuck would complain? A detailed shooter with RPG elements and great atmosphere sounds great. Always has.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, Ken Levine has basically said one of their big mistakes on previous titles is not being clear about what a game was. So rather than come out and say Bioshock is an FPS come Adventure come RPG he wants the marketing to be very clear: FPS.

Of course, the marketing won't change the game content at all and from all acounts its shaping up very nicely.

Rook on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i'm playing systemshock2 right now, and you could take that quote and replace 'bioshock' with 'system shock 2' and it would still fit.

ss2 was a shooter.

Serpent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Look, they were originally trying to sell this game as a spiritual successor to system shock. The basis of games like system shock and deus ex were the complicated, but extraordinarily useful UI, and gameplay style. They were not shooter games, and to make this game a shooter and try to sell it as in the same spirit of those older games....

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    oh GOD it's a shooter KILL ME NOW
    Look, they were originally trying to sell this game as a spiritual successor to system shock. The basis of games like system shock and deus ex were the complicated, but extraordinarily useful UI, and gameplay style. They were not shooter games, and to make this game a shooter and try to sell it as in the same spirit of those older games....

you walked around and shot things, it was a shooter

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    For christ's sake no you didn't. There were a billion ways you could go about each situation, and shooting was ALWAYS the least desirable.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    oh GOD it's a shooter KILL ME NOW

you walked around and shot things, it was a shooter

Yeah... not so much Deus Ex. But System Shock particularly and System Shock 2 were both very much FPS games to the core.

Rook on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    you thought the ui for dues-ex and system shock 2 were complicated?

Serpent on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah. Unless you LIKED TO SHOOT THINGS. And you know, given the zombies in the beginning of System Shock 2, shooting them was the MOST desirable outcome, because the other option was trying to beat them with a pipe.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

what

Mgcw on
  • Options
    jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I want a proper sequel to deus ex with nextgen goodness :(

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Honestly, I don't recall *them* trying to sell it as a spiritual successor so much as rabid fans simply deciding it was.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Serpent wrote: »
    you thought the ui for dues-ex and system shock 2 were complicated?

Well if you thought that they weren't at all complex, then you'll see bioshock's UI as nonexistent.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    non-linear exploration, choice of tools, deeper interactions with AIs and so on.

hey, sounds like system shock 2 and dues-ex.

Serpent on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For christ's sake no you didn't. There were a billion ways you could go about each situation, and shooting was ALWAYS the least desirable.

And there aren't alternatives in Bioshock? I could've sworn that the very first 15 minute video released showed alternative methods of getting other NPCs/the environment to deal with your foes, such as the Aggressor Irritant.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    For the love of god there's gotta be one person on this fucking forum on my side.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    And you can still do that in Bioshock. It's the hardest way to get around, but you can do it or so says the devs.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

And that's not the case in Bioshock because.....?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

And that's not the case in Bioshock because.....?
    It's a shooter. Didn't you see that post? Bang bang with the guns!

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    For the love of god there's gotta be one person on this fucking forum on my side.

Nobody is on your side because the quote describes systemshock2 and dues-ex already. You are arguing about what you define as a shooter compared to what the developer defines as a shooter about a game you haven't even played.

Serpent on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm on your side.

Bioshock clearly looks like an FPS.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pulling the trigger could mean activating events that don't quite pan out as you expected them to, not just what happens when your fingers hit the mouse and the room lights up. You're still going to shoot shit, but there will be ways to make it easier for you if you took the time to explore and find out what things do to certain creatures, or you could wantonly crash into the room and start blasting rambunctiously and hope for the best.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    Pulling the trigger could mean activating events that don't quite pan out as you expected them to, not just what happens when your fingers hit the mouse and the room lights up. You're still going to shoot shit, but there will be ways to make it easier for you if you took the time to explore and find out what things do to certain creatures, or you could wantonly crash into the room and start blasting rambunctiously and hope for the best.
    You've been making too many smart posts recently. Knock it off.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is the lamest thread premise that I've ever seen, and I've been to gamefaqs.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm just saying look at DX2 and how awful that was compared to the first (regardless of the fact that it was a direct sequel), due to the fact that they made it simpler, and more shooter-like. Do you at least see where I'm coming from with that?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    JetBlackCenterJetBlackCenter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm just saying look at DX2 and how awful that was compared to the first (regardless of the fact that it was a direct sequel), due to the fact that they made it simpler, and more shooter-like. Do you at least see where I'm coming from with that?

I live in columbia, MD.

Lols.

Sorry, carry on.

JetBlackCenter on
    schoolrumble4wh6zd.gif341.gif
    BRAWL CODE: 3866-7685-8500
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    since when did complex = good?

and shit.. when was system shock two not a shooter? I must of missed the memo.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007

Man, I dropped shit left and right with my pimped-out assault rifle in Shock 2.

If they came up close I rammed a crystal up their body cavity.

Echo on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You might have more success if you better define what you think of as a shooter. Deus Ex and System Shock 2 both fit quite comfortably into my definition of "shooter".

japan on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

...Have...have you watched the trailers for Bioshock?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I thought it was well agreed that Deus Ex 2 was shit because it was rushed out the door?

Never played it, myself, so I have no idea.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    JetBlackCenterJetBlackCenter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    this sounds like a thread that would be on NMA. Just replace Deus Ex with Fallout and Bioshock with Fallout 3.

JetBlackCenter on
    schoolrumble4wh6zd.gif341.gif
    BRAWL CODE: 3866-7685-8500
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You just have to ask yourself two very simple questions.

Does most of the game take place in a first-person perspective? Do you engage in combat (be it with guns or anything else) while in that first-person perspective?

If the answer to both is yes, then it's an FPS. There's no getting around that, that's its classification. RPG elements or a good story don't change that.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Honestly, I don't recall *them* trying to sell it as a spiritual successor so much as rabid fans simply deciding it was.

Similarities to System Shock series

Since the game is a "spiritual successor" to the System Shock series, and is being developed by former developers of that series, many features and themes are revisited in the game. Levine pointed out many of the similarities during his narration of a video initially screened for the press at E3 2006[10]

from wiki

I'm pretty sure *they* have made these comments in the interviews I've heard/read as well.

Rook on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is as silly as that guy who insisted Thief 3 was unplayable and ruined because it didn't have any swimming segments.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Aegis wrote: »

...Have...have you watched the trailers for Bioshock?

Last trailer I saw was the player shooting some teleporting guy with a shotgun. After he killed the teleporting guy, the big protector guy game out, and then the player proceeded to also shoot that with the shotgun. Many times.

NickTheNewbie on
This discussion has been closed.