Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

196979899100102»

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Right, but that was months ago. There's no way for me to look it up in the game now, is my point.

At any rate, I remember how to do chain attacks, I just forgot about how it relates to the orbs as I never really used it. Chain attacks by themselves are fairly useless, and you only really generate orbs against bosses that take a while, so it seems like you almost never would actually use it. Forgetting how they work seems understandable over this long a game if you don't use them regualrly.

In XC2, most of the difficult monsters/bosses get a bunch of bonuses when their health is low. It's very advantageous/sometimes necessary to be able to finish them in one big chunk, and you need to be aiming for a Full Burst Chain Attack to do that.

First, you put Elemental Orbs on an opponent when you finish a Blade Combo. To do a Blade Combo, let your elemental attack ('A') charge up - the more attacks you do, the higher it's level (from I to II, III, and IV). After doing one of these attacks, you'll see some stuff in the top right of the screen showing you the possible Blade Combo paths. For example, if you do a level I Fire attack (or greater than level 1), then a greater than level I Fire, followed by a greater than level II Fire, you'll do Mega Explosion. Whereas if you finish with a level III or IV Light attack, it will do Nuclear Blast instead.

After doing Mega Explosion the opponent will have a Fire Orb circling them. After doing Nuclear Blast, a Light Orb. (These also have the effect of "Sealing" certain of the opponent's abilities. Does the opponent keep Shackling your Drivers? Put an Earth Orb on them to Seal that.) You cannot put more than one of the same Elemental Orb, and once they have an Orb that element is less effective. (Also note that during combat, around the midscreen, there will options to press ZL/ZR to have the party members you're not controlling add to the Blade Combo.)

When you start a Chain Attack, the Elemental Orbs you've put on them will be lined up under their HP bar. When you choose which Blade is participating in the Chain Attack, you want to use one that will be the opposite Element to one of the Orbs (ie. Fire and Water, Light and Dark, Earth and Electric, Wind and Ice). If they're not an opposed element, then IIRC they will attack a random Orb, but if they are opposed they will attack predictably. Each Orb needs to take two hits to burst. Bursting an Orb extends your Chain Attack and increases the damage done. If you burst enough Orbs, you'll achieve Full Burst, and do massive damage.

Here's a random Youtube video of what it'll look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWAjd6L6kis

This mechanic is pretty key to taking down tough enemies.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Yeah I refreshed my memory on a wiki. I didn't realize that those debuffs on enemies were tied to the orbs, I saw them in the chains but didn't know they would last long term. I think I would like this gameplay a lot more if they were more explicit about a lot of these things. (checking the wiki again, seems there's no way to seal negate healing, those fuckers. Honestly, this one ability is just about the only thing that made most of the fights difficult)

Anyway I just beat it, I rearranged my characters some, and just gave it another whirl. I did end up doing a big chain attach to finish it off, though I couldn't even activate it until he only had 1/4 left since I kept getting downed and having to get revived.

So looking back, this game feels like the homer simpson froyo bit writ large. I'm constantly going back and forth between That's Good and That's Bad. I was thinking of typing them all out, but now I don't know if I want to bother. I think most people know what the issues are.

I think one of the big reasons I've been so down on it is that I want to finish the story while it's still fresh in my mind (and also the game mechanics, already failed that one seems like). I started this game on september 4th, and have actually beaten multiple other games since I started this one. I might still keep playing or do a NG+ so I can see more of the side plots now that the pressure of beating it is off.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It's 3 hits for breaking an orb during chain attack though. Opposing element counts for two this. Also worth noting that any time you break an orb, you're guaranteed to get another round of chain attack.

There are two blades who have special abilities that make them better at breaking orbs. Dahlia hits orbs adjacent to her target for 1 hit each. The story spoiler from the end of ch 8 hits every orb at once, which trivializes full burst.

It's either 4 or 5 orbs broken for full burst, depending on how close together they get broken I think? But it will do ludicrous damage when it goes off (the damage multiplier for the chain skyrockets and it automatically performs a level 4 special)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It's 3 hits for breaking an orb during chain attack though. Opposing element counts for two this. Also worth noting that any time you break an orb, you're guaranteed to get another round of chain attack.

There are two blades who have special abilities that make them better at breaking orbs. Dahlia hits orbs adjacent to her target for 1 hit each. The story spoiler from the end of ch 8 hits every orb at once, which trivializes full burst.

It's either 4 or 5 orbs broken for full burst, depending on how close together they get broken I think? But it will do ludicrous damage when it goes off (the damage multiplier for the chain skyrockets and it automatically performs a level 4 special)

Yeah this was something I saw on the wiki that I don't remember them explicitly saying, but I really wish they had. But then maybe they did, it was such a flood of information at the time that I couldn't really process it.

edit:: basically I think if your game can take over 100 hours to beat (or even 80 really), then you NEED to have some kind of ingame encyclopedia for the major plot points and mechanics

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah this was something I saw on the wiki that I don't remember them explicitly saying, but I really wish they had. But then maybe they did, it was such a flood of information at the time that I couldn't really process it.

edit:: basically I think if your game can take over 100 hours to beat (or even 80 really), then you NEED to have some kind of ingame encyclopedia for the major plot points and mechanics

I know for certain that XC1 does, and I assume that's something they'd have carried over.

The tutorial record isn't necessarily organized by topic though, so one could be forgiven for not find what they're after.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Started Future Connect.

Nene is adorable. That is all.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I will protect Kino with my life.
    he's 100% useless tho

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I will protect Kino with my life.
    he's 100% useless tho

Unfortunately, yes. If he'd brought Riki's moveset instead...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Finished Future Connect.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh.
    The Nopons are adorable, the Ponspector power was neat and Tyrea being tsundere was cute but there's a lot I didn't care for about the rest. Stripped down gear/gem system, really grindy way of unlocking tomes, completely recycled... well everything, painfully cheeseball dialogue especially from Melia, and an insultingly underexplained primary villain.

I really don't think it added anything of substance to the overall Xenoblade story, which granted is oftentimes the case for season pass-styled content but this really felt like total nothing.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Slightly disagree that it didn't add any substance. It served to give some closure to Melia's story, and she sorely needed closure considering where the base game left her.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I don't disagree as a general concept but in practice, aside from Tyrea I don't think it really accomplished much towards doing that.
    The Telethia are still a nebulous "maybe we'll figure something out in the future!" issue and Alcamoth isn't really in more or less different state from where it was at the end of the base game aside from being more trashed this time. The Fog King could have not been a plotline and it still would have been as much as an "eventually Alcamoth gets repopulated, The End." as you could just assume it was before.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    It absolutely didn't accomplish much and was full of useless filler. But hey it still accomplished something.

Its thought that the baddy ties into XC3 and so they don't want to go revealing its nature yet. But it does make for one lame story here.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm at the endgame, I think! Just cleared
    Mechonis Core
    in XC1. Any recommendations for what I should do now? Going for the 5th Skill Trees first, any "ultimate weapons" I should try and hunt down?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm at the endgame, I think! Just cleared
    Mechonis Core
    in XC1. Any recommendations for what I should do now? Going for the 5th Skill Trees first, any "ultimate weapons" I should try and hunt down?

finish Colony 6 I guess, there's also quests there that get you
    new replica monados. really only rudra is kind of worth grabbing, afaik. I used a guide for that part of the game pretty much

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I kinda ruined the end of the story because I chased down every quest and leveled up to the 90s in the process. The sub-bosses at the end wouldn't even aggro on me and the final boss was zero threat. So barring using expert mode to de-level yourself, I'd suggest mostly plowing on to the end and getting that all-clear mark, your save will still be sent back to the last point and you can go around exploring everything, and there are much stronger monsters out there to train up for than what you will go through finishing the story.

Maybe just chase down this quest since its the only one that's super story significant. Although you can still do it afterwards and its not like there are more than one ending. You might also pick up one of the replica monados but most of the require lvl 90+ mob kill which means you'll be way overleveled.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I'll echo the above.

I personally like the "final fight" in games to be the end of my time with them, so I went around and finished everything I could before advancing to it (the game is good about telling you when you hit the final save point). Resultingly, it was no challenge, so if that sounds deflating to you then yeah, power through and do the other quests after. (I didn't mind - I'm not a huge fan of challenging myself on difficult bosses anyway.)

(I recently did the exact same thing with FFVII. Took out the final boss in two rounds of combat. Woops.)

But seeing Colony 6 re-establish itself is nice story wise, as is the quest rahkeesh2000 mentioned.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Was stuck on the Chapter 9 boss for weeks in X. Just had to get my team vaccinated(aka buy them their own mechs) to beat it.
    Finally unlocked skell flight and this song kicked in and it was all worth it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4r8ufspg0

ujav5b9gwj1s.png