Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Aw crap. This all reminds me I need to finish XCX before XC2 comes out. However I have two kids and two jobs so my time is limited. First world problems?

Also I preordered both the collector's edition and the controller even though I have a splatoon pro controller. I'm such a sucker. I ordered from Gamestop since Amazon hasn't had a listing and I didn't want to miss out. Also Amazon has been screwing up a lot on "release day delivery". Really annoying. If they mess up with Mario I will throw a fantastic fit.

Anyway, I'm getting hyped about this game. I have seen some comments complaining about the HUD size, but I think that it's a good balance in that it provides all the necessary information for the myriad of game systems that will be present as well as being readable/usable in handheld mode.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Hooonestly I gave up on XCX. Every time I pick up the game I feel like I have to spend an hour re-learning everything, because there are so many menus and systems and things to consider all at once. I love the individual elements, but all together they're too much for me, even though I can imagine them being a dream come true for some people. Like, high school me. Perfect game for that guy.

XC was a bit more streamlined, and a lot more my speed. I am hoping XC2 will be the same and plan to buy it.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I got up to the last chapter and just stopped for some reason. I don't even know why... I think I was trying to grind money for a better skell or something. It's been over a year now and not sure if I'll ever be able to get back into it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    The boring Skells and Skell combat caused me to stop somewhere close to the end, I quite liked the rest of the game until then.
    The on-foot combat was still worse than XC though, waiting around for your party members to shout out what kinda skill you had to use got real old.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    The menus in XCX are just so BAD. Information is often only on specific terminals for no discernable reason. The map is almost incomprehensible re mining/probes.

I love it but it needed so many QOL improvements.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Maytag wrote: »
    The boring Skells and Skell combat caused me to stop somewhere close to the end, I quite liked the rest of the game until then.
    The on-foot combat was still worse than XC though, waiting around for your party members to shout out what kinda skill you had to use got real old.

Yea my biggest problem with the combat was that it doesn't continue to evolve. Like when I started I was like wow this going to be really cool learning new skills and leveling these classes!" Then I dunno like 20 hours into the game I had my entire skillset set completed so every fight was literally just repeating the same combo over and over without ever changing for the rest of the game. And when the game took like 100 hours... yea I shouldn't stop getting new things at 20 hours.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Yea my biggest problem with the combat was that it doesn't continue to evolve. Like when I started I was like wow this going to be really cool learning new skills and leveling these classes!" Then I dunno like 20 hours into the game I had my entire skillset set completed so every fight was literally just repeating the same combo over and over without ever changing for the rest of the game. And when the game took like 100 hours... yea I shouldn't stop getting new things at 20 hours.
    Even if you had maxed out one class at 20 hours, you can change classes to learn new skills and arts (you can even use your old setup as you level the new class). Plus you can mix and match weapons from those classes since the arts are tied to the weapon, not the class.

Fast Forward (Galactic Knight) and Trigger Happy (Winged Viper) cuts the cooldown of a ranged/melee art used during a combo by up to 50%. Pretty handy for long CD arts and when you get a bonus for using an art in a combo anyway.

Conflagrant Edge (Duelist) boosts thermal damage by 50%, also works very well with gatling guns (not only because of their arts, but the best gun you can buy is thermal). So does Combo Gunner (Commando) for a sweet +125% damage during a combo...which also plays well with Trigger Happy.

You can pick and choose what you like, but if you really stopped advancing 20 hours in you can't really fault the game for that. The end game class is actually Drifter because you have five skill slots and that outweighs all class bonuses :)

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Even if you had maxed out one class at 20 hours, you can change classes to learn new skills and arts (you can even use your old setup as you level the new class). Plus you can mix and match weapons from those classes since the arts are tied to the weapon, not the class.

Fast Forward (Galactic Knight) and Trigger Happy (Winged Viper) cuts the cooldown of a ranged/melee art used during a combo by up to 50%. Pretty handy for long CD arts and when you get a bonus for using an art in a combo anyway.

Conflagrant Edge (Duelist) boosts thermal damage by 50%, also works very well with gatling guns (not only because of their arts, but the best gun you can buy is thermal). So does Combo Gunner (Commando) for a sweet +125% damage during a combo...which also plays well with Trigger Happy.

You can pick and choose what you like, but if you really stopped advancing 20 hours in you can't really fault the game for that. The end game class is actually Drifter because you have five skill slots and that outweighs all class bonuses :)

It didn't help that switching to a new class would usually completely gimp you for the next 10 hours of gameplay and make in-story fights completely impossible.

I had to change back to my old class just to advance quite a few times and never really saw good return cause leveling was real slow.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »

At that point (besides drifter) it's just horizontal progression. It's just fiddling with different options and layouts. Adding anything else would require me to break my current combo on galactic knight that stole some other ability elsewhere and used all my ability slots. That's just different builds not furthering my characters actual build at all. So uh yea I definitely can fault the game for that. The combo was an unstoppable force of destruction for the entirety of the game once it was done.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Maytag wrote: »
    It didn't help that switching to a new class would usually completely gimp you for the next 10 hours of gameplay and make in-story fights completely impossible.

I had to change back to my old class just to advance quite a few times and never really saw good return cause leveling was real slow.
    Once you've mastered a class you can use those weapons and arts on any other. So when I switched from Galactic Knight to Psycorruptor (mainly for Secondary Accelerator) I just re-equipped my Photon Saber, Pyscho Launchers, and reset my arts and skills to what they were rather than being stuck with a Raygun - though you are limited by the number of slots for skills that the new class has.

My experience was that I never had to switch back to my first class in order to progress.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Just checked on the order of my collector's edition and I noticed that the price went down to 85€. That's a pretty incredible deal considering that it comes with a 200-page artbook, which alone would probably cost more than 25€.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com/post/166122222372/like-a-finely-layered-onionor-is-it-onions

A blog post from Nintendo that details the combat pretty extensively.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
  • Options
    Just gimme details of eyepatch guy.

Since Rex looks like such a damn dweeb I need someone else to act as my player character and eyepatch guy looks like the one to beat so far.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I already pre-ordered your game, Nintendo! No need for the hard sell just pop it directly into my brain.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    unless they have some day 1 dlc to actually put some clothes on that poor girl this is still a hard pass.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I wish I felt something about this game.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    unless they have some day 1 dlc to actually put some clothes on that poor girl this is still a hard pass.

If it's like other Xenobalde games the in-character models will reflect their actual armor so it will likely become a non-issue almost immediately. Not sure how that works with this "blade" system, but we'll see.

That said I know I'm not the only one who was haunted by flashbacks of a certain character wearing a bikini in her climactic death scene the first time around. Lessons were learned.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

If it's like other Xenobalde games the in-character models will reflect their actual armor so it will likely become a non-issue almost immediately. Not sure how that works with this "blade" system, but we'll see.

That said I know I'm not the only one who was haunted by flashbacks of a certain character wearing a bikini in her climactic death scene the first time around. Lessons were learned.

I don;t know, it took me quite a while in XC to get an outfit that didn;t suck onto my lady's ass like a second skin and it ended up being the only outfit in the game that wouldn't.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    XC had a LOT of awful equipment, but XCX had proper armour and outfits available, and allowed you to change the look of any piece to look like any other piece, so you didn't need to sacrifice stats for fashion.

One would hope that they keep that level of customization in XC2.

OTOH, do Blades even use equipment in the game's combat systems?

Enlong on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    XC had a LOT of awful equipment, but XCX had proper armour and outfits available, and allowed you to change the look of any piece to look like any other piece, so you didn't need to sacrifice stats for fashion.

I meant XCX, sorry. And yeah I used the fashion tab for the one outfit that worked, turtle neck sweater and beige slacks. :/

• Options
    Sorry. I must have misremembered what the options were like, and was too charitable to it.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Vyolynce wrote: »

We don't know that at all for this game though.

It's basically just a hope right now. This direct should tell us one way or the other.

- The character art in menus is a full body picture showing the base armor which makes it seem like it's considered a part of the design.
    - They haven't shown anyone in different gear yet.
    - The MCs Rex's little creature buddy is shown in cutscenes interacting with a specific part of his armor so that would require all of his armors to contain that piece of design and be of a close enough size and shape that it wouldn't break cutscenes(possible of course but just another piece of evidence against it right now.)

DemonStacey on
  • Options

OTOH, do Blades even use equipment in the game's combat systems?

The blades ARE the equipment. Each blade acts as a specific weapon equipped to a character.

Which is another thing I'm worried about, what exactly this means for visual progression of gear. Is it all going to be just alternate choices? Not really sure yet.

• Options
    I wouldn't say that outfit design keeping cutscene stuff in mind is assured. I've played games in which outfit options can completely ignore animations, even ones important for story cutscenes.

• Options
    I wouldn't say that outfit design keeping cutscene stuff in mind is assured. I've played games in which outfit options can completely ignore animations, even ones important for story cutscenes.

Right, there are multiple ways it's possible I noted that. But hoping for bad design isn't really a big plus.

• Options
    Bad design is the default.

Honestly, I'm not really hoping for anything here. I get the feeling this will end up like Fire Emblem Fates for me; a game in a series I like, but can't bring myself to care about because it's just doubling down on the parts I did hate from the previous installments.

• Options
    Bad design is the default.

Honestly, I'm not really hoping for anything here. I get the feeling this will end up like Fire Emblem Fates for me; a game in a series I like, but can't bring myself to care about because it's just doubling down on the parts I did hate from the previous installments.

True. I meant bad game design but yea battling between bad game design and bad outfit design... we're all losers here haha.

• Options
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Oh...okay what?

Voices turned off it is.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I'm hoping being able to play as eye-patch guy will let me overlook everything and enjoy the game.

He looks pretty rad. Hopefully he is rad.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    I'm hoping being able to play as eye-patch guy will let me overlook everything and enjoy the game.

He looks pretty rad. Hopefully he is rad.

you're a monster

• Options
    Seems to me like it's a particularly bad sign when we keep saying things to the effect of "well, hopefully there will be a mechanic that lets me entirely ignore this major part of the game".

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Oh...okay what?

Voices turned off it is.

The fuck is that voice selection?

Thank god that's only the JP voices....

...so far?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Seems to me like it's a particularly bad sign when we keep saying things to the effect of "well, hopefully there will be a mechanic that lets me entirely ignore this major part of the game".

I’m genuinely excited for the game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    I wish I was as well.

Hell, I wish I was motivated enough to watch the direct.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I am still excited for the digital orienteering that XC2 will bring. But when I play on the bus I'll need to be wary when anime tits are on screen, since I'm not in the business of making my fellow travellers uncomfortable.

And the switch has a wiiiiide viewing angle.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    I am still excited for the digital orienteering that XCX2 will bring. But when I play on the bus I'll need to be wary when anime tits are on screen, since I'm not in the business of making my fellow travellers uncomfortable.

And the switch has a wiiiiide viewing angle.

The glorious nature of the side seats - you can sit with your back facing the front of the bus, nobody behind you.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    What is it with Xenoblade and small baby-voices?

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    What is it with Xenoblade and small baby-voices?

It's an anime thing

steam_sig.png